[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fed Up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 315x467) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 315x467
Has anyone seen this bullshit movie? I turned it off 15mins in after they literally said energy balance is nonsense, no one can calorie count and it doesn't work.

With all the issues our western societies face with obesity, and in the face of constant marketing and adversitising of calorie dense foods and lack of reliable information about diet and exercise in the public forum, I had hoped that this would be an interesting film about issues to do with obesity.

No, it was shaping up to be a conspiracy theory, everyone is against us and it's not our fault type movie. I'm literally butthurt from seeing this shit. I'm not denying that advertising, calorie dense foods, lack of info, neural patterns etc. make an environment where it's easy to gain weight and hard to lose it, but fuck, to see them openly deny the most basic premise of weight loss/gain is disgusting. It makes this film worse than all those shitty health fads, diets and misinformation because it deliberately misleads.
>>
>>36515072
>they literally said energy balance is nonsense, no one can calorie count and it doesn't work.
They're right.

>With all the issues our western societies face with obesity
In most of the western world, civil war is right around the corner - and you worry about people being a bit too heavy? Are you gay?
>>
I haven't seen it but:

>congress says pizza is a vegetable

Literally all they said was natural pizza sauce contains vegetable servings, which is true. Christ that meme was so annoying for the years that it kept being parroted.
>>
File: image.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>36515090
>>
>>36515104
Yeah this was pretty much the tone of the film I got from the 15 mins: reductionist and sensationalist.
>>
>>36515072

when it comes to food and health, the mass public will believe anything you tell them, and always blame someone else for the weight / illnesses.
>>
>>36515141
>>36515141
I still think it's a valid point that we have more calorie dense food than ever, and are surrounded by fads and misinformation - most of the health knowledge people have comes from products. You're not born with knowledge about health. Add the addictive behaviours of humans and you have the obesity epidemic.

I agree that people try to blame it on everything else, all I'm saying is that a lot of people are kind of doomed to begin with because of lack of correct information.
>>
>>36515350

The internet has mooted any "lack of information" argument.

I also fail to grasp how people can't just fucking lose weight or at the very least not become morbidly obese.

I've struggled with my weight my whole life. I was fat as a kid and in my adult life I've gone up and down a handful of times. It is not hard to lose weight THEORETICALLY. Yes, it can be challenging to do PHYSICALLY, but that's purely a lack of effort, not a lack of information.
>>
>>36515141
Public are sheep, but systemic effects are a thing.
It doesnt matter if everyone counts calories and shit, a systemic effect will skew the population result one way or the other
>>
>>36515373
Yeah but a lot of people are fucking stupid and don't know to look for information. It's like they need to be force fed this shit in schools (no pun intended),which I think would be beneficial.

Also, surely as someone who's struggled with weight, you'd realise it's an addictive type thing. You're right, losing weight is simple and quite easy, but if you're addicted to a certain lifestyle/food, it's hard to totally shift that.

I think more needs to be done at childhood age to prevent the cycle of fatcunts.
>>
>>36515090
>Calories in/calories out is wrong

This meme has resurfaced. Are the fats awakening from hibernation?
>>
>>36515373
Advertisers who have more vested in keeping people stupid unhealthy and consuming garbage flood the net with misinformation, and google is designed to make your view of the net an echochamber so...no.
You're basically fucked.

Simple agreed upon information that isn't just bullshit made by shysters looking for a few more bucks is hard to come by.

People here still think that fat makes you fat and that sugar doesnt cause heart disease and going pure vegetarian is the fountain of youth.
>>
File: John Stamous Bulking.png (368 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
John Stamous Bulking.png
368 KB, 780x585
>>36515072
It brings up good points that most people still don't know what the hell they are doing when it comes to healthy eating

I have fat co-workers who eat shitty as diet food all day because it's low fat and only 200 calories!!!1!1! The froze shit you microwave that's supposed to be just like lasagna! Then they slam chex mix because it says it's lower in fat than potato chips.

>mfw they all judge me for snacking on fruit because of muh pesticides
>mfw they tell me all the peanuts, almonds (activated, of course), and cashews I eat have too much fat
>mfw they can't believe I drink black coffee without any cream or sugar added
>mfw maybe once a month I'll indulge at an office party on a piece of cake or slace of pizza and they just say, "I wish I had you metabolism and could eat that stuff without getting fat."

I thought the lowfat/low calorie diet died out in the mid 2000s but as this movie points out, most of my fellow Americans are dipshits and believe anything Nabisco and PepsiCo tells them

Captcha: Select all the food
>>
They are technically right but you are misunderstanding the point (which desu is easily done since they are probably intentionally misconstruing it).

You can easily lose weight by consuming fewer calories. However, knowing exactly how many calories are in a quantity of food or how many calories are burned by physical activity is impossible..
>>
File: 7pup.jpg (42 KB, 429x546) Image search: [Google]
7pup.jpg
42 KB, 429x546
>>36515072
>they literally said energy balance is nonsense, no one can calorie count and it doesn't work.
nope they said its not that simple and then go on a bunch of tangents to make the point that people cant just limit their calories because they are sugar addicts
>>
File: 1448863090354.jpg (93 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
1448863090354.jpg
93 KB, 600x337
>>36516234
The only thing you can count is calories in, the calories out par of the equation requires a team of scientist following you 24/7 and running a ton of tests on you just to get a reading that is REMOTELY accurate.
Think about it, when you're bulking you make big meaty shits, who knows how much macros are in there. On the opposite, on a cut you don't poop half as much and it's dry as hell.

Conclusion? Losing weight is done by eating healthy, not over eating and staying active. Yes is comes down to Cal-in/Cal-out, but that is a fucking retarded way of approaching weight loss.
>>
>>36516392
I'm the opposite. I always smile when they say I have good genes or metabolism. I never argue. And I act like I'm guilty of having better shape than them.
In fact I'm happy inside because they see my gains. And fatties stay fat just fuck out of my competition. Who gives a fuck then. they are the ugly I'm the beautiful. I don't really care if they are jealous that I work out and diet hard
>>
>>36516990
Sure, you can't know exactly how many calories are going out, but it helps to know how many are going in so you can adjust them to get the results you want. Like adjusting a thermostat. And like you said, the quality of the food is critical.

I wonder if there is any good research about what percentage of calories your body absorbs from food. Like you said, eat more and poop more. But if it is a linear relationship then it's trackable as well.
>>
>>36516990
well just from theory I know they're between 2200 and 2700, I adjust my calories in accordingly to the weight I'm gaining.
>it cant be precise to perfection so it's no point doing it

It's not a retarded way to approach weight loss, for many people counting their cals is the only way to succeed.
By your logic a fat fuck would just wing it and eat some salads every once in a while and not realize he's eating a bunch of bad and hypercaloric shit on the side.
someone that has lived their life has a sloth-y cow needs to incorporate the discipline required in calorie counting, otherwise they're fucked
>>
>>36515072
I'm watching it right now and it's really good. Nothing new to anyone halfway decent at dieting, but good.
>>
>>36516990
The models are as accurate as anyone needs. And you yourself can make adjustments to them by tracking your weight over time. If you lose about a pound a week, then your daily deficit is about 500kcal. If your calculator said you should have had a 750kcal deficit, you just adjust the result by 250. The real problem is that fatties compulsively cheat themselves then blame muh metabolism, muh thyroid, muh sugars or whatever.
>>
Most of the movie was OK. As an insane Libertarian the end drives me crazy.
>The government fuck everything up by pushing low fat / high carb.
> The solution is obviously more government!
>>
>>36516990
I am currently cutting and pretty accurately losing 1lb a week. Guess I am a superhuman who is smarter than a team of scientists because I can figure it out without running tests 24/7
>>
>>36520045
Same. When I calculate my TDEE based on calories-in and rate of weight loss I get a number within 10% of online TDEE estimates. Weird!
>>
>>36520014
>Libertarian
Hows High school?
>>
>>36515072

>it was shaping up to be a conspiracy theory, everyone is against us and it's not our fault type movie

That's the gist of most low-carb documentaries and books. "It's the government's fault you're fat. You were told to eat brown rice and peas, when what you really needed was more cheese."
>>
>>36520135
Lonely. But mark words and mark them well. Soon I shall achieve my becoming and be born again into a new world where the flesh of my former self becomes my key and the possibilities of all creation are before me. Thanks for asking, how are you?
>>
>>36520189
you too
>>
>>36515072
>to see them openly deny the most basic premise of weight loss/gain is disgusting
Where in the movie do they do that? From what I remember they try to argue micromanaging calories is too cognitively taxing for the overwhelming majority of the population. That's it.
>>
>>36516990
that doesn't matter.

let's assume for a second that how you lose weight is a complete black box, no one knows how it happens. what we do know is that CICO has a direct effect on the outcome. this means you can still try and measure how much you lose/gain and then adjust to your tastes.
>>
File: fuckyoucaruso.gif (406 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
fuckyoucaruso.gif
406 KB, 300x168
It sucks because the focus is off. You can get butthurt about corporations and the government all you want but, unless you're a kid, you decide what goes in your mouth.

Until the populace is literally force-fed by third parties the main focus will, and should, always be on the individual if you want to place blame.

The 'its just not that simple' bullshit is just that: bullshit. Own your fucken diet.

Education and discipline is needed, not more laws. All the more better that we could use better education and discipline across a wide range of topics apart from diet anyway.
>>
File: Isee.jpg (86 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Isee.jpg
86 KB, 960x540
>>36520189
I see.
>>
>>36516990
That doesn't mean that counting calories is useless, and while you can neither count exactly how many calories youre eating or buring, you can still make an aproximation, work off that aproximation, and lose weight.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.