[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /fit/ redpill me on gatorade? obviously water is better.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: .jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
Can /fit/ redpill me on gatorade? obviously water is better. but is this soda tier?
>>
Soda has electrolytes. This doesn't what do you think?
>>
You can achieve the same benefits by drinking water with salt in it after you work out.
>>
>>36511802
Salt tablets
>>
>>36511694

powerade zero desu
>>
when was the last time you drank soda /fit/?
>>
>>36511899
Today, I drink diet soda every day. Idgaf
>>
>>36511694
>is this soda tier?

Pretty much. You're much better of with making your own electrolyte drink with hibiscus tea, salt, and a little sugar. I used the tea all the time back when I was in track, and it's cheap too.
>>
>>36511899
Never have in my life
>>
>>36511799
>I have no idea what electrolyte means
>>
http://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-Electrolyte-Replacement-Capsules-Supplement/dp/B002IY96B0

These + Water
>>
>>36511694
gatorade can actually help your endurance a ton, but the way to use it is to take a couple sips every 15 minutes or so of workout.

you can achieve the same ends with water with electrolyte tablets, but it is possible to make use of ingested simple sugars in the course of a long workout.

tl;dr drink a few sips of gatorade if you're doing a workout that's longer than like an hour total and reasonably intense, otherwise water is probably fine
>>
>>36512360 yeah bro it's what makes muscles bigge
>>
>>36512360
Its what plants crave
>>
When I used to work outside all day in Louisiana summer i'd bring 10 bottles of water and one of the yellow Gatorades. Without the Gatorade I got killer headaches. It was actually Mexican day workers who tought me this.
>>
>>36511802
This is false. Gatorade is designed to be used by athletes who are dehydrated and carb depleted, after like an hour or more of intense exercise. It has key electrolytes (sodium aka salt and potassium) that help with rehydration and a good amount of sugar that helps replenish muscle glycogen.
I mean, water with some salt in it and a banana will have similar effects but these aren't very practical to eat in the middle of playing sport. The banana and its fibre will make you full-ish and who the hell has bottles of salt water lying around.
Also this is balanced in a very scientifically precise way, and other substitutes just aren't quite as good.
You don't need it unless you play sports at a high level though
>>
>>36513277
>i dont think there is gatorade in kenya
>>
>>36513277
people forget that when gatorade came out the florida gators slaughtered everyone for like a season because they had way better endurance in the heat. the stuff does make a difference, but it's for true sport/endurance, there's no reason for it to be sold in every store. like a juice.
>>
>>36513210
Such a good movie desu
>future doco
>>
>>36511694
This is better for re-hydrating than water, unless you have been sweating just drink water. Although the g2 low cal stuff is tasty
>>
>>36512947

Not OP, but still doing this. Thank you.
>>
>>36513405
Is it harmful to people who drink it regularly like a normal juice every day?
>>
>>36513631
It's probably not healthy to drink too much of it because there's a decent amount of sugar, same thing with juice.
>>
>>36511694
the whole thing gatorade advertises is "so many electrolytessss!!!" which is actually a very good thing. For those who dont know, one of the most involved cellular processes in the body is that electrolytes(just a fancy word for charged ions that are minerals suc as potassium, sodium, chloride, magnesium etc.) are constantly being pumped back and forth across your cell membranes to catalyze the diffusion of water into and out of the blood and cells keeping blood pressure and volume and all that jazz in check.

tl:dr gatorade good, but probably not necessary
>>
>>36513413
>re-hydrating

top kek
>>
Gatorade is ORS with extra sugar. The extra sugar is useful if you're in the middle of a triathlon, but otherwise probably not useful. Oral Rehydration Solution is water with sugar and salt ("electrolytes!") that because of magic make it easier for your cells to take in the water. But again, if you don't have diarrhea you probably don't need the magic.
>>
If you're gonnna drink I'd at least drink the low cal version. The regular versions got a lot of sugar in it.
>>
Just drink cononut water, the Asian grocery kind not the $5 type you see at walmart
>>
>>36513631
It has a lot of sodium and too much sodium is bad. So yes, only drink it if you're playing sports for a long time.
>>
But Gatorade has what people crave, it has electrolytes.
>>
Drink cera sport nigga
>>
>>36511694
If you're not a long distance runner then you don't need it also
>HCFS
>>
its not bad but its pretty useless unless youre doing long bouts of cardio and even then its not the end all be all.

if you really like it for flavor drink it. they do add up cals real quick though a bottle is like what 240. maybe 130 for the gross lite ones

sugar isnt bad for athletes
>>
Just drink water.

You're a grown man. You should stop craving sugar drinks by now.
>>
If you need to rehydrate somewhat quickly, drink a mix of gatorade to water, 1:1. Don't drink straight gatorade.
>>
>>36511899
A month or two before New Years 2015 (Novemberish 2014). I used to drink it regularly then began to drink it less and less (only when I craved it like when working outside during summer) and then new years rolled around and I wanted to see if I could go a year without it and here I am today.

I'm fat though
>>
>>36513849
A single bottle of the low calorie stuff has half the sugar you're supposed to have in a day.
>>
I've heard that it good to prevent hyponatremia
which delusion of the salt content in your blood combined with over hydration with water.

But 95% of people will never work out hard enough to need this but Garorade has convinced people they need it when they exercise.

Basically for a normal person to get hyponatremia you would need to run a marathon in Florida in the Summer and drink water the entire time.

>It does taste good af watered down with Ice after a workout on a hot day though
>>
>>36514918
>14g of sugar
> amount you're supposed to have in a day

u wat m8?
>>
>>36514770
regular bottle is only 130

>tfw I used to [read:still do] drink a six pack of gatorade Glazier Freeze a day
> I regret nothing
>>
what does /fit think about flavored water drinks? i really fucking love them, they have nothing but around 50mg of sodium per 200ml. Are there any negative effects?
>>
>>36511899
Diet soda sometimes, regular soda it's been years
>>
>>36513277
Sodium isn't salt retard
>>
File: mio-ingredients.jpg (47 KB, 293x369) Image search: [Google]
mio-ingredients.jpg
47 KB, 293x369
>>36511694
I used to drink gatorade a bunch, then I got my tonsils out and drank x10 more which fucked up my throat from all the salt, so now I just buy those lil packs of flavor you pour/squirt into your water.
>>
>>36511899
i was actually off soda for about a year, to the point that it made me feel sick drinking it, i came back eventually and now have been off for about 2 months.
>>
>>36511899
I sometimes drink coca cola zero so that others will shut up about not drinking soda on gatherings.
>>
Y'all need to get on the pickle juice train.

Its GOAT
>>
>>36515004
not that guy but

do u know how 2 read nutrition labels?
>>
>>36513406
It's a documentary.
>>
The reason fit thinks Gatorade is worthless is because fit doesn't do cardio. If you run for over an hour, you need electrolytes and sugar. The point is to only drink it under these conditions.
>>
>>36511899
A couple of days ago, I used to drink a half gallon bottle every day but I've cut down to a can every two weeks
>>
>>36515197
Jesus, how fucking stupid are you? Do you have to lash out at someone who you think is apparently wrong when you yourself have no idea what you are talking about?

Consuming salt provides you with sodium ions. When talking about food or nutrition it is referred to as sodium simply- this is the norm and always has been.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.