[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How'd you get into lifting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11
File: why do you lift.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
why do you lift.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
look, can we please end the "you should only lift for yourself meme"? it's pretty fucking annoying at this point. fuck you for judging someone based on their motivating factors.

lifting for yourself is noble, as a matter of fact, we all lift for ourselves in some way. wanting to score some high tier pussy is fine, actually, it's why we're here aren't we?

So tell me how you guys got into lifting and how it improved your game with girls?

Anyone here find your other half?
>>
I lift for myself because my opinion of myself is the only true opinion that affects my reality. Any other answer is wrong.
>>
File: 416nl-84.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
416nl-84.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
I started to lift because my friend was 350lb at 16 and i had fuck all else to do but go to the gym with him.
>>
File: why god.jpg (80 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
why god.jpg
80 KB, 645x773
>>36508869

>pic related
>tfw no qt gf who roots for you as your body gets better
>tfw no qt gf who has seen you at your worst and sticks with you as you become the best version of yourself
>tfw no qt gf who loves me unconditionally, not weighing money and looks too heavily
>tfw no gf

feelsbadman.whygod
>>
Lifting isn't ascension, you fucking weeaboo, it's just destroying your muscles in a good way, then providing the means for them to heal and become bigger and stronger.

Being fit shouls be the default state of all human beings. If you don't do martial arts or some other sport where you'll want to stay small, you lift. It's that easy.
>>
File: max mad bait road.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
max mad bait road.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>36509331

enjoying anime =/= being a weeaboo
>>
My high school football coach made us all lift to get better at football. I realized I like lifting more than football and quit football senior year because it would affect my gains.
>>
>tenth grade gym
>ginger faggot "friend" has me spot his bench
>loads 165lbs, need to help him finish his fourth rep
>Joke about him struggling
>He takes it seriously, tells me it is my turn, and adds another 10lbs
I was pretty chunky at the time, and relatively sedentary
>Manage a set of 8 reps of 175lbs
>Halfway through ginger got embarrassed and walked off
>Only kid in the class who actually lifted told me that my set was pretty impressive
And I've been chasing that high since the very first time
>>
Realised that I was skinnyfat and weak and I didn't like feeling insecure about myself. Did a bit of studying, put some effort in and what maintained me was the support I got from my friends and colleagues who genuinely seemed to want me to succeed, even when I was beating them in our phys sessions.
I'm now in a posting for a year where I don't do phys 4 times a week during working hours and I don't get to measure myself against my friends and colleagues, I didn't realise how difficult it is for you guys.
Girls don't enter into the equation, I can't help but see every woman as a friend who is not to be touched once I get to know them.
>>
Crippling depression. Decided to turn my life around and basicly go fuck all. Life has been pretty good since
>>
I only say i lift for myself because im vain. i want to be the best looking person in the room. Face is average but i can work on body so i have been for 5 years. I also like the strength that comes with it. helped bro move the other day and im so much better than he is at lifting shit.

Also do it for the girls. I get lonely
>>
I used to do all sorts of bullshit workouts in high school because I spent a lot of time at the beach and wanted to look good for my sisters' friends (most of them weren't very hot, but back then it was much more of an establishing social value kind of thing). I stopped doing that kind of stuff and tried to adopt more of an artsy type persona as I got more involved in theatre. I started working out again my freshman year of college because I wanted to start being a club rat, I realized having a better body could land me more stage/film roles, and got tired of looking like I was summoned by some necromancer.

Since then it's been because I really enjoy it. In high school I hated it because it was a lot of broscience movements and routines, but once I started seeing strength progress, I got into it
>>
The end of 10th grade i realized how fucking pathetic i was and decided to work out all summer and get a gf next year. All i fucking did was bench press and curl and tried to bulk on sandwich meat, but i thought i was hot shit and it worked.
Didnt lift for a bit after that, then after a semester at college without any luck with girls i got back into it. Over 2 years lifting now
>>
I'm kinda chubby (5'10 200lbs), my friend is fat(6ft 330lbs). I lift so he'll stop skipping gym days.
I can't fix his diet for him though.
>>
Started because I got nothin better to do.

Still doing it because I got nothin else.
>>
>>36511460
Something like this, I touch my muscles sensually a lot too neber stopped weird how I managed to do it with no drive
>>
>>36511470
Who gives a shit about motivation when you have dedication?
>>
Started working out because my friend went to the gym. He didn't know what he was doing and taught me stupid shit. Kept lifting on and off for 2-3 years, not following a diet or actually working hard so I barely gained any muscle. Started going HAM during summer and bulked. Read bb.com, jerked off to zyzz, and got bigger. Now I'm on my first ever cut. Not as big as I want to be but at least I'm not a skele anymore and people mire a lot so I'm happy. Gonna start roiding next bulk. Gonna make it.
>>
File: ippo.gif (802 KB, 500x241) Image search: [Google]
ippo.gif
802 KB, 500x241
>>36508869
I got into lifting because of this anime

I'm not even joking... I started boxing too.

The best sports anime of all time and top ten best anime in general. So fucking based
>>
File: 1454927609581.gif (944 KB, 275x428) Image search: [Google]
1454927609581.gif
944 KB, 275x428
>>36508869
> How'd you get into lifting?
Zyzz
>>
>>36511542
Same here, I even started training with the local American Football team after watching Eyeshield 21. Had to stop because of work commitments though, damn shame.
>>
>>36511551
:'^) rip sweet prince
>>
>>36510064
what else did you do to get out of your funk man? Any other improvements?

I got hit hard with some extreme negativity in Feb and I've been depressed every day since, to the point I'm having acute panic attacks at work, I'm off caffeine but working out seems to help my mood too
>>
>>36508869
But I honestly do lift for me. I won't lie, I love the attention not the most important opinion to me is my own.
>>
>>36511597
But* god damn phone and ham thumbs.
>>
File: 1454961249716.png (270 KB, 774x578) Image search: [Google]
1454961249716.png
270 KB, 774x578
>>36509331
>Ippo
>Weeaboo
>>
>>36508869
To attract some high tier guys
>>
Getting fit for girls is retarded because you can still get girls without being fit. All it takes is a walk outside to see this. Don't try to delude yourself that you can automatically get a higher tier of girls by being fit either. Its easier to pick up club sluts, sure, and if thats all you want in life then by all means have at it, but club sluts are not objectively better than any other girl

You little boy
>>
I grew up with 80s/90s anime and comics.
>>
>>36508869
I lift for girls. I just tell excuses that I don't because I know even if I'm fit I still can't get a qt one
>>
>be a kid
>dad tried to get me lift with him
>always said no cuz I was a lazy little shit
>years go by and he's still lifting and we grow further apart
>my friends sign up for the gym
>so I do too
>he found out and was happy
>but you could tell he was sad i always ignored him about lifting in the past
>a year later he died from a long battle with cancer
>find out he only wanted me to lift because he knew he didn't have much time left and didn't want me to be weak in a tough world
>tfw I'm now stronger than he was

If only he could see me now. Thanks pops
>>
Why would you allow your sense of self-esteem and your definition of success to be dependant on sluts?
If a woman wants you just for your body, she's a fickle slut. Obviously if you're in a committed relationship you should maintain yourself to contribute to your partners happiness, but I don't think it's healthy to offer up your sense of self-worth to people who judge you based on looks alone.
Surely if you've dedicated yourself to self improvement for your own sake then you've proven that you're hot shit, you don't need to be validated by the peanut gallery if you know you've got the discipline and perseverence to set a challenging goal and then achieve it.
>>
I was really bored with my usual hobbies when I started lifting. Turned out picking up heavy shit was actually entertaining for some reason.
>>
>>36508869
We tell you to lift for yourself because autists like yourselves think lifting will magically solve every problem you have. It can help you in MANY areas but it's not the end all be all, and can lead to your entire identity based on being /fit/z Nothing wrong with having a goal but you also need to realize that you don't have to touch a weight in your life to score some pussy.
>>
File: expanding dong please wait.jpg (12 KB, 325x244) Image search: [Google]
expanding dong please wait.jpg
12 KB, 325x244
Kind of a cliché/cringe story, but hey, the whole situation made me start lifting so it's thread-relevant.

>be me
>be 16
>pretty serious depression
>my grades are shit
>super lonely
>only hobby is vidya and I don't even enjoy it
>haven't felt legitimate happiness in years
>somehow I'm smitten with a very close friend of mine
>thought she liked me back
>long story short, she didn't
>"Boo fuckin hoo Anon, rejection happens"
>I agree, but I was weak as fuck back then, physically and mentally
>after some typical high school drama she pulls the "I'm not looking for a relationship" line
>bullshit.jpg
>I actually bought it though
>whatever, shit happens, I get over it pretty quickly
>or so I thought
>she goes out with some other guy a few months later
>whythough.png
>he's DYEL and not much better looking than I am
>as far as I knew he was pretty beta
>can't understand why she chose him over me
>start to hate myself for not being good enough for her

>that spring
>be 17
>realize that I'm being a little shit
>understand that the reason I can't deal with this failure is because I'm still a boy inside
>I need to become a man
>start applying myself in my schoolwork more
>increasediscipline.exe
>slowly start to take control of my own mind
>that summer I start lifting
>just going at it willy-nilly at first
>slowly start to get serious
>realize I legitimately enjoy lifting
>exercise has a wonderful effect on my brain
>felt happiness for the first time in forever just being around people I cared about

>today
>be 18
>been lifting for 8 months
>don't know how long I'll keep enjoying it but hopefully it'll be for a long time
>more confident
>mild face gains
>haven't made it yet but I think I will someday
>>
>>36512106
>>been lifting for 8 months

lmao

LIFTING FIX ME UP BREH I DID FOR WHOLE 8 MONTHS BRO
>>
>>36508869
I started lifting cause my brother thinks he can wreck me and always says i should be grateful to him for not beating me up. He is still confident but im training for strength and gains are small but strength gains are massive hahahaha i will enjoy the look in his face when i beat him up in front of his newborn daughter
>>
>>36508985
Unconditional love doesn't exist between a man and woman
>>
In 2009 I was a depressed, overweight 19 year old on the opposite side of the country from where I was from. I started eating ~400 calories a day and doing cardio for 90 minutes. Got down to around 170 from 280 after a while and then started lifting with my friends when I moved home. Been at it ever since.

I was popular when I was young and I was back in the same social circle so it wasn't hard meeting people when I moved home but suddenly the women wanted something to do with me. Fucked around here and there then eventually got a steady gf.
>>
At first it was myself for wanting to get stronger. Then I stopped. Then it was my cousin who was all buff after getting out of prison. Then I stopped. Then it was my cousin who got buff hella fast. Gained like 40 pounds in i don't know how long and he looked buff as fuck. Now I'm playing catch up.
>>
>>36508869
basically i really hate myself and its one of the few ways i can feel any self worth anymore
>>
File: zyzz tips.jpg (28 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
zyzz tips.jpg
28 KB, 1280x720
>>36512106

you'll make it brah

we'll all make it
>>
>>36508869
I have nothing to lift for but myself. I'm not an edgy faggot who thinks "MAN IM DOING IT FOR MUH FUTURE GF", l get my ass to the gym and lift that bitch bar, then get back home. It's part of my life
>>
>>36509727
>can't lift 165 lbs
Ah yes, the first week of lifting is really the hardest part
>>
>>36511509
oh no you are always going to be skele.
>>
File: tmp_10291-4807-149899960.jpg (225 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
tmp_10291-4807-149899960.jpg
225 KB, 1280x960
>nyr this year
>exodus
>convince friends from home to gym for spring break 17 (I'm military)
>go back to base
>start gym
>friends say they will
>fellow nyr at gym dip one by one
>friends never start
>almost 3 months in and haven't missed a day in 6 day/week workout routine

pic related my dog that i never get to see
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.