[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 25, fat, former smoker and I want to start running.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: figure_86.jpg (173 KB, 480x337) Image search: [Google]
figure_86.jpg
173 KB, 480x337
I'm 25, fat, former smoker and I want to start running. Right now, my mile time is 14 minutes. I want to be able to run 5 miles again, with an average pace of 10 minutes.

Can someone help me develop a running chart? Right now, I am going to keep my route of 1.11 miles until I can complete it in 10 minutes. Does this sound smart? When should I start adding more distance?

I'm tired of reminiscing about the good old days of when I wasn't obese. I want to experience that again.

Pic related. My life going downhill.
>>
SS + GOMAD
>>
>>36502614
cry about it on 4chan fatfuck, that'll sort all yer problems
>>
>>36502643

But I'm actively looking for help. I have been running, I am just asking if I am going about it in the best way.

I may be fat, but at least I can read.
>>
>>36502614
Once you reach your goal time for one mile see how long it takes for 2 miles and just improve time of 2 miles then add another mile ect ect... Good luck anon
>>
>>36502667
That was my plan. I was thinking about mimicking a lifting schedule I had in high school. Monday and Wednesday were normal lifting days, and Friday was a heavy day.

I was thinking of doing my 1.11 route M and W, and 1.5 on F. I'm trying not to ruin my knees, so I run on grass as often as possible.
>>
Use couch to 5k to get up to being able to run 3 miles. Also, find out what's a safe but effective calorie target for you, and aim for that.

Once you've started eating better and finished those 8 weeks of c25k, you'll be much closer to your goal.
>>
>>36502614
C25K then C210K
>>
>>36502710
>>36502713

Thanks for the advice. I'll start that on my Friday run.

I think the hardest lesson to learn, and learned the hard way, was 80% of weight loss is diet. I figured I could out run the calories. I cannot.
>>
>>36502614
>fat
do not start running at 25 if you're fat, it's easy to do this as a teen because of the ability to quickly repair the body. in your mid to late 20s making a drastic change and starting running will hurt, every step on the run will feel like a huge impact.

You need to worry about dropping rate and getting the body use to moving again.

You can get the heart ready by doing any cardio machine(elliptical), low impact, and will help lose weight and increase lung capacity for when you're finally ready to start running.

Go for walks outside, lift weights(do not lift heavy, replacing fat with tons of muscles presents the same problem I mentioned about impact hits on the body).

If you injure yourself you're going to have more down time and therefore less time to get fit again.

Slow and steady, but dedicated and serious.

A month or so of doing this will be enough for you to start the running serious portion.

It's as simple as ABA, BAB workouts.
1. 60/120s for 30 minutes
2. 1 mile run(increase distance over time)
3. Shuttle sprints
-next week-
1. 1 mile run(increase distance over time)
2. 60/120s
3. 1 mile run(as fast as you can).

60/120s are the best running workout by far, you are able to sprint almost an entire mile a month into doing them, and your heart rate stays up for the entire 30 minutes.
Add that into the general 1 mile run and you'll notice the gains fast.
>>
>>36502760
Thank you for taking the time for the constructive response.

I played sports in high school and college, so I am hoping I will be able to bounce back, but I definitely feel what you're describing.

I was thinking about incorporating stairs into the workout. I still live by the college, so the stadium is right by my house. I figure the stairs would be good since low impact, but I am not sure.
>>
Fix your diet first. Without that you won't do shit. You're a fat fucker so the weight should fly off at first which is always encouraging. The easiest place to start is to stop drinking soda, like completely. No diet soda either. Start drinking water, unsweetened tea, and crystal light if you absolutely have to have something sweet. Stop eating shit food. You know what food is shit so you don't need me tell you what it is. An easy way to drop weight quickly is to avoid eating bread, not saying go carb free, but if you cut out most bread you will burn fat fast. Avoid the late night snacks when possible, as a vet of many cut diets I know how strong the urge for that late night snack is so I found a great way to combat it. A huge bowl of popcorn. Get an air popcorn popper and big bag of popcorn kernels, but don't add butter or salt, it won't taste as good but it's still pretty tasty. A huge bowl of dry popcorn is like 20 calories. You could eat that shit till you get sick and not gain an ounce.

The more fat you lose the easier it will be to run.
>>
>>36502790
I was running every single day for 5 years in the Army, I gained a ton of weight when I left and now 2 years later I am just now recovering, I have had multiple down times because I'd injure myself thinking I could bounce back and go straight into a 8 mile run or sprint for an entire mile again.

It's tough brother, the worst thing you can do is mess up an ankle/knee/ or fuck up your hip.
If you feel comfortable move as fast as you like, but for that first month or two if you are running and not going to do what I offered about the pre-training. Make sure you're running only once a week, resting the other days.
You should be fine walking, but if you overdo it and get runners high. I promise you a few months from now you'll get an injury.

You've had years of bone degradation and the extra fat is not helping.

It's no different than weight lifting, lifting the same muscle group more than twice a week shows negative gains.
>>
>>36502841
>I'd injure myself thinking I could bounce back and go straight into a 8 mile run

This. I'm not even fat and this still holds true. Last year my cousin who was about a year removed from the Army asked me if I wanted to train for a marathon with him 6 months from then. I said sure thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. I was a little heavier than normal but just a few years before I was in such good shape I could just do a little warmup, throw a few water bottles in a backpack and run a half marathon on my own. I decide to take it easy at first, no more than a couple miles at a time and not pushing myself at all. After a few weeks I decide I want to test my lungs and go for 10 miles. I fucked my legs up so bad it was 4 days before I could run again.
>>
>>36502889
Anon you replied to,
my last injury was from a sprint training where i pinched a nerve.
Chiropractor said my muscles weren't use to moving at that speed and I tore a muscle, causing inflammation and the muscle was just a buldging mass.
Had intense testicle pain for two months, three months of hip pain, and now on my fourth month can finally do a squat without feeling like I want to cry.

Im back to ground zero again, walking 1 mile daily.
Learned my lesson, will not sprint more than once a week, will not SS more than once a week, and will not have them back to back for the entire first two months of training.

Getting old sucks, this is literally the only thing that has made me feel my age.
5 years ago at 21 I could have slept on this over a weekend and went back to running.
>>
File: feelcry.jpg (60 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
feelcry.jpg
60 KB, 700x700
>weighted 300lbs as a teen
>loved hiking, did it for 3 years
>rip knees
>Pain is now constant
>down to 261lb but too scared to jog because left knee pops all the time
>Probably wont be able to run again until i get to my ideal weight and give my knees proper rest (18 months or even 2 years)
>tfw i'm 20 and i cant run

And you guys are lifting because chad stole your gf
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.