[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >lanklet >never been to a gym in my entire 19
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
>be me
>lanklet
>never been to a gym in my entire 19 years of life
>want to start lifting and getting /fit/ to feel in control
>decide to start off with StrongLifts 5x5 workout
>go to uni's fitness center, get past the awkwardness of never having been to a gym, or ever working with fitness equipment
>finish all my sets just fine, felt good, excited to start lifting
>get home
>back, arms, chest sore as FUCK
>squats have literally turned my legs to jelly
>workout day is tomorrow and have to add weight

/fit/ how sore do I have to be to be doing something wrong? I know soreness is good but I don't want to walk in tomorrow and not be able to finish any reps. Will I be fine?

pic not related
>>
>>36499886
The first week was the worst week for me in terms of soreness
>>
If you've never lifted before, you're gonna feel like garbage. You being sore is due to you working muscles you haven't really utilized before.

If you can't quite finish the reps, that's alright. Safety > Speed. It's okay to maybe wait a few days to get your body acclimated to a lifting routine, and the soreness will stop after a whil

We're all gonna make it
>>
>>36499886
That's called DOMS. Don't worry about it, it's normal for people who have never lifted before. Keep lifting, it will stop happening soon.
>>
>>36499924
Did you make it every time you went back to the gym?
>>
>>36499941
>>36499976
Thank you bros. I'm not discouraged. I'm excited for my squats. I'll just take my time. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Literally feel like an old man getting off the toilet rn
>>
File: 1445829143014.gif (944 KB, 275x428) Image search: [Google]
1445829143014.gif
944 KB, 275x428
>>36499886
If you can break through that initial 1-3 weeks of soreness it gets so much better!!
>>
>>36499978
Squatting 3 times a week is hard as fuck for the first 2 weeks then you don't even feel it except for immediately after/during
>>
>>36499886
Think of your body as a pair of shoes. When you first buy them, they're stiff as fuck and you need to break them in. Your body is exactly the same.

Tomorrow, don't add weight. If anything remove some or just do something else. Do cardio, do some exercises for body parts that don't hurt. Just do something because you must not quit going to the gym. If you don't go this early into starting, you won't go back.

Next week add weight. It's going to hurt some more, but less than this week. Just don't stop going to the gym.

Repeat until you're sore the same night but fine the next. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks but yes the first week you step into a gym is the worst in terms of pain but you'll never feel that again as long as you just keep going.
>>
>>36499988
Should disappear completely within 2 weeks
>>
>>36500016
Yesterday I did squats, bench press, then barbell row
Tomorrow I still do squats, but I do Overhead Press and then deadlift.

Also, why cardio (obviously besides the obvious health benefits of breathing better, etc.) if I simply want to get bigger? Like I said, I'm skinny (~12% body fat) so I don't need to burn much fat
>>
>>36500075
Because not only is cardio good for you but if you're too sore everywhere you still need to keep stepping into the gym this early. Even if you just do cardio for a day it will help establish your gym routine so you don't just quit.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.