[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is too much protein powder a thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: pGNC1-2332236t300x300.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
pGNC1-2332236t300x300.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
I'm just getting back into shape, its been since the summer since I worked out really, but so far its been going pretty well. I do feel however I'm not getting enough protein in my diet mainly because I am vegetarian.

The powder I have(pic related) has 50g of protein per serving(two scoops). I've so far been feeling a little week and light headed(only slightly) at times since starting to work out and eat healthy again.

In terms of my diet alone I only get a very small amount of protein because I am essentially eating vegan plus whey and eggs, and my food selection is limited to what they have in my school dinning hall. I weigh between 170-180 pounds and I would estimate I'm getting less than 100 g's of protein per week. My diet rn is mostly things like spinach, broccoli, quinoa, hummus, soup, hard boiled eggs, bananas, grapefruit, and other plants. I also try to eat nuts and seeds, but b/c I have no money and only eat whats in my cafeteria I don't get as much as I would like.

So anyway my main question is would having say 2 or even 2.5 servings of protein shakes (100-125g of protein) cause any problems health wise. Any other advice on food and getting enough protein as a vegetarian would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note why does this powder taste so good. Like literally the consistency and flavor is very, very different from any other protein powder I've had before
>>
I meant less than 100 grams of protein per day not week
>>
>>36498844
>vegetarian
>school
Reported ;P
>>
>>36498867
I'm in college so...
>>
The problem with protein powder is that noobs drink only protein shakes, which causes them to not get enough fiber and micronutrients, which makes them feel like shit
>>
>>36498891
Yea sort what I was thinking, that my diet would be so unbalanced, that after an extended amount of time I meant become nutrient deficient or something. I think I'm good on fiber though as the majority of what I eat is plants and I have raw spinach or kale basically every meal
>>
bamp
>>
final bump
>>
I can't touch on the vegetarian side since I'm not one myself, but too much protein is a thing. It's not some magical powder which equals muscle, you won't gain more muscle the more you consume. Since protein goes through your liver consuming too much is harmful indeed, you should aim to get around 1g per 1lbs (or 2g per kg) each day. You can up a bit on the days you work out, but not much, say 20g or so would be pretty reasonable for you
>>
>>36499339
yea I'm aiming for ~180g per day, but like its really hard because of the food available to me (If they had tofu or someshit like that more often I wouldn't be worried) So are you saying I should onlybe drinking about 20g of protein from shakes each day or that I can add 20g more to what I currently drink daily(50g)
>>
>>36498844
You're making it harder for yourself by being vegetarian, just saying. In addition to protein powder you should supplement with creatine, as well as vitamin B12 and iron, because you're probably not getting a lot of those from normal food.
>>
>>36498844
>he only takes two scoops
>>
>>36499470
I'm not vegetarian for athletic reasons, and I want to stay vegetarian. I do take B12 spray, although I dont think I really need iron because I eat a lot of spinach and broccoli which are high in it. I;m curious why the creatine though (i dont know that much about creatine)
>>
>>36499467
You weight around 80kg, so you should seek to get around 160g protein every day. On the days you work out, you can up it to around 180g
>>
>>36499513
The primary sources of dietary creatine is read meat and certain kinds of fish. If you don't eat those it's very unlikely you get what you need for optimal training (creatine is important for the muscular energy system).
>>
>>36499607
>creatine

Enjoy going bald in your 20s
>>
>>36498844
Can too much protein make you fat? Like let's say you're consuming more protein than you need for the amount/intensity you are lifting at, would it just turn into fat as it's not consumed?
>>
>>36502212
Yes, protein that doesn't get used turns into blood sugar (the same a carbs) and will get stored as fat like any other glucose in your system.

The general rule of thumb is that your body can absorb 30-40 grams of protein per 1-2 hours, so you want to stay in that range, have a meal or proton shake every few hours. This works out to be about 5-6 light meals a day to hit your daily proton macros.

You basically want to keep a nice steady stream of protein (and other calories) throughout the day. This will also minimize your calories from being turned into fat.
>>
>>36498844
Want gf to have bigger butt. Does oatmeal help her butt get fat?
>>
>>36502672
Thanks a ton. This explains so much. Seriously appreciate it, I'm implementing this immediately and stopping the stupid shit I was doing before.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.