[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /boxing/ here? >Great cardio >Stress relief >Easier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
Who /boxing/ here?

>Great cardio
>Stress relief
>Easier on joints than running
>Doesnt involve rolling around in your underwear

How do you train? How often? Whatre your lifts like?
>>
I have fucked wrists from boxing
>>
>>36498813
Wraps?
>>
>>36498790
>implying grappling isn't superior
>>
>>36498909
its not
>>
File: 1455546663154.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1455546663154.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>>36498790
>>Easier on joints than running
Not sure. I'm having a hard time (220 ,5'11, 100kg 179cm) doing slip and rolls because my knees start hurting before long. At least I can bypass that during light sparring since i'm so heavy i can shrug off blows but that's not a good spirit.
I train savate 2-3 times a week and boxing once a week.
I have a 1.25 OHP, 2 bench ,2.5 squat and 3 diddylift. I neglected my legs because this gives me INSANE doms and I have to skip training for 4-5 days after every leg session at first. It's been better since 2 month (only 3 days) so I'm catching up with my upper body lifts.
Also lifting don't help for boxing. To be a better boxer you should box instead of lifting.

What do you guys think about doing low intensity cardio in boxing ? Everyone keeps recommending HIIT because "yeh it's like boxing where you alternate rest and burst" but I feel like over 5 to 6 rounds I'm losing way too much steam. Can't keep with 4th round poking.
I mean once I get an opening I manage fine but otherwise I'm too much on the recovery during that time and HIIT doesn't help
What would you recommend ? 2 miles every morning ?

>>36498909
Grappling is cool. Please don't turn that into a "my style is better xD" thread it's just retards spouting memes
[spoiler]Even if Wrestling > BJJ > Judo but that's a fact :^)[/spoiler]
>>
>>36498950
99% of all champions for the past century ran their miles in the morning.

Run your miles
>>
>>36498943
Dumb
>>
I've just started getting into it a few weeks now, always loved watching boxing but never tried learning it. I didn't expect it to be easy but damn.. Moving while staying up on the toes fuckin reks my feet, being well co-ordinated with your hands and feet is hard enough without the foot pain, but I'm guessing that should ease up the more I train
>>
>>36498943
Implying tripfags know anything at all
>>
>>36498790
>>Easier on joints than running

Literally wrong.

Your elbows and shoulders get blown up by hitting the bag all the time.
>>
File: 1440993281015.gif (840 KB, 370x540) Image search: [Google]
1440993281015.gif
840 KB, 370x540
>>36498950
ya man start running to build your heart up. in due time you will build enough endurance to keep a solid pace and explode when you need to. do you jump rope and shadowbox? what weightclass are you aiming for?
>>
File: 1458691265001.jpg (33 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1458691265001.jpg
33 KB, 498x500
>>36499031
Yeah I know it's just so freaking boring but I guess I can't avoid it. Are there any papers on it ? Not for conviction (I always knew it I just avoided it) but for SCIENCE and all

>>36499102
Don't hit as hard ? You shouldn't be hitting the bag at 100% all the time dude. Vary your training
>>
>>36499149

Yeah I often go pretty hard.

Still, when I hold pads, the shock is quite hard to take some times. Especially with kicks and elbows.

muay thai fag btw
>>
File: 1455644657775.png (194 KB, 576x699) Image search: [Google]
1455644657775.png
194 KB, 576x699
>>36499144
Well I'm not really asking for myself since I'm not competiting ,but for a friend that's 165 (75kg) that will probably compete given the enthusiasm he gives ,he surely will soon.
We started jump rope not too long ago. It works well and is a blessing because it's cool as hell

>>36499163
You should alternate between high intensity cardio strikes ,and more powerful and focused one ,where you focus on your weight shifting and maximum 3 strikes combo (like 1-2-low kick). Dunno about elbows since I don't use them. May be a problem with your elbow rotator ? Do you have a minute to talk about our lord and savior OHP ?
>>
>>36499250

I OHP regularly. It's my favorite lift actually.
>>
>>36498790
you forgot

>Get to hand around with white trash/brown people
>>
>>36499149
Check 8 weeks out dot com

Pretty sure that guy has a bunch of supporting articles for why liss is essential for boxers/combat athletes.

Basically: LISS gives u a bigger gas tank while hit is like training for fuel efficiency during acceleration.

You can't accelerate with an empty tank
>>
So what's your favorite strike ? Mine is the left hook. A Jab-side step- left hook does so much wonder it should be illegal
>>36499280
Oh well must just be a lack of training on your shoulder to whistand elbow strike. Try some hand stand pushups in a low pace to build up isometrics on them

>>36499353
Thanks m8 ,will do. It doesn't surprise me but ya know ,as an overweight fighter it's easy to overcome people by brute force so I don't really care but it'll help my buddy
>>
Used to box and play football
>Head trauma
>Concussions
>Being senile earlier
Fucking love boxing though love hitting the heavy bag and being tired as fuck after hitting the bag for a round
>>
Man...Man.......

>Lift weights 7 years ago
>Pretty big/strong
>Looked amazing
>What the fuck can I do with this body?
>See someone hitting a bag, try it out
>Remember how much I loved fighting as a kid
>Besides, I don't want to be big and slow, I want to be small and fast
>Fuck weight lifting
>Began 7 year boxing spree
>Discover huge talent at it
>Start competing, doing lots of events etc
>Very successful (only as amateur)
>I don't look as nice, am not as strong
>But I am more fit then ever and I feel amazing
>Coach loses his mind (literally)
>Gym closes down
>Feel lost
>What the fuck do I do now
>Box by myself for a while
>Miss it like crazy
>Suddenly decide I want to go back to being big(ger)
I hope I can increase my size and maintain the fitness and boxing skills I have now. I love my fitness now but I can't shake the feeling of being this small.
>>
>>36499353
>>36499416
I went out to Colorado for a conference primarily because Joel Jamieson(8weeks out) was speaking. He is probably the most knowledgeable strength and conditioning coach in the States. His book is awesome, and he has tons of free shit on his website (and other things you can pay for).

There are relatively few S+C coaches I respect, but Joel is the man. LISS is a really good foundation from which you build more specialized and higher intensity conditioning.
>>
>>36499563
Thanks that's a real bliss. Maybe getting more into it will motivate me to actually do some cardio.
>>36499519
As a fighter your main concern will be your weight. Try to aim a higher weightclass ,you'll eventually have to settle for this 3kg margin. Except if you're a tall this shouldn't be a problem
>>
Boxing nearly half my life at this point.

There are a lot of dumb things in this thread.

I Train every day but Sunday, different ways, boxing mainly Tues. Thurs. Sat. mornings a few hours after waking. Split three minute bursts w/ two minute cooldowns; power, agility, perception, or whatever I need.

compound lifts are essential for full body durability in my opinion, which is entirely unscientific, but I would think it a waste for a boxer to lift with machines.

I bench 3, squat 4, deadlift 5 (extremely rough estimate since I haven't tried to set personal records in a long time)

Sometimes I hit wide pullups, flies to the floor or rotating low reaching dumbbell presses if I feel like I'm losing power. A big way to improve your big hits is the opposite of what you'd think- don't weigh down your hands, keep making the bag heavier. This is popular now but not all that popular and worth saying. Tyson shit son

Boxer training is more about the mind than the body. A tough meet between serious contenders will be determined by your will to stay collected and your ability to draw emotional content out of yourself.
>>
>>36498950
OP here, while I do prefer boxing as a form of cardio I still run in addition to lifting, its just a matter of changing things up for cardio for me. That being said im starting to get more technical and may consider fighting a year or so down the line.
>>
File: 1440895683126.jpg (49 KB, 500x529) Image search: [Google]
1440895683126.jpg
49 KB, 500x529
>>36499718
> compound lifts are essential for full body durability in my opinion, which is entirely unscientific, but I would think it a waste for a boxer to lift with machines.
Not unscientific. Compound lifts helps with the core ,which benefits 100% power transmission from your legs to your fist to the poor tosser jaw. Also raw power (by contrast with explosive power like in oly lifting) is always a good thing up to a point (which ,unless you wanted too ,you didn't reach yet).
About fighting ,do you have any advices about keeping a level headed mood during a fight where you're not especially at advantage ? Like being in the ropes and all ? Do you train specifically situations where you're in the rope and you have to get out or is it just "SPARRING FOR THE SPARRING GOD"' ?
>>
How does one start boxing or any similar sport? Just join a gym?
I like lifting but I'd love to be able to kick ass too
>>
>>36499868
Yep man. The earlier your join ,the better. Nothing prepare you for boxing ,especially not lifiting.
Don't worry ,the coach will be used to train newcomers. Don't be shy. Your only regret will be to not have started earlier
>>
>>36498790
Least round yourself out with some grappling or other martial training. Boxers all have the same habits cause all they do is box and they're pretty easy to take out.
>>
>>36500057
Im in the beginner stages, I may pick up muay tai later but im just learning

>>36499324
Stay out of shit gyms and this isnt an issue
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.