[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martial Arts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11
File: zabuza.jpg (72 KB, 503x443) Image search: [Google]
zabuza.jpg
72 KB, 503x443
I don't really care that much about self defense but I wanna go to this MMA gym near me because it looks fun. Here are the options, btw I'd prefer to just do one for now since each individual course costs money.

>Striking (Muay Thai)
>Grappling (BJJ)
>General MMA (Combines multiple arts)

I'm think of just doing the general MMA course for now and getting into more specific arts later. Tell me what you think.

Also, any of you guys take a martial art?
>>
>>36497824
I've been doing muay thai for 3 years and I compete too. I'd recommend taking muay thai; it's hard you have to push yourself and it is fun. You get some gainz too.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 426x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 426x279
>>36497824
I would start with Muay Thai to get a solid striking base, "mma" can often give you bad habits with the fundamentals. But I'm just an autist and specializing in one art appeals to me
>>
I'm thinking about Krav Maga.Does anyone know is it an offensive or deffensive martial art?There is also MMA supposed to open us soon in my area, but I have no idea about those things.

Knowing such an art could boost my confidence a little so I will get into something eventually.
>>
>>36498448
>bad habits with the fundamentals

do you mean bad in the sense that it is bad if you were to go back to an individual art? or just plain bad.

what is considered "good" in some arts sometimes becomes not so good when you are in a mma type situation.
>>
>>36498487
Krav is best described as "defense via offense". The main thing about krav is that it teaches you to act with decisiveness and aggression in the face of danger but it has no quality control and there's a good chance you'll end up training at some bullshido place where they teach you dangerous and useless shit
>>
>>36498487
From what I understand Krav Maga is kind of a joke. It gets trained to soldiers but the training a person like you would receive would really just be a watered down version of what Krav Maga really is.
I think it's meant for military situations aswell where you carry a lot of weight and wouldn't be capable of other martial arts properly.
>>
>>36498539
>>36498540
Fugg, My childhood dream of being a street fighter has temporarily been ruined.Gotta find some kickass martial art.
>>
File: so.png (608 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
so.png
608 KB, 1366x768
what's a good budget martial art or gym for poorfags life me?
>>
File: ura nage.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ura nage.gif
2 MB, 400x300
From my experience people who only do the general mma class dont end up well because they have no base. You are basically a jackk of all trades master of none. My advice is pick a MA (boxing,muay thai or judo/Bjj) then go into mma.
>>
>>36498596
boxing
>>
>>36498596
boxing
>>
File: zb1.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
zb1.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>36498635
>>36498648

ive always been interested in boxing but wont i miss out one other areas like striking with my legs or grappling

ah fuck it ill take what i can get
>>
File: image.png (17 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
image.png
17 KB, 418x359
>>36498534
Probably both. A big part of it is quality control, mma is such a meme right now that you might go to an "mma" gym getting trained by some blowhard who teaches you bad habits. Many amateur mma fighters tend to have poor punching with too many wild hooks, poor head movement. i haven't seen enough video to critique the grappling. If you find a gym with good credentials and specialized coaches for each aspect of mma id say it's a good choice but for some, all of the aspects of mma all at once can be difficult and it's easier to start with one art and add the other aspects
>>
>>36498628
the new wave of mma stars are probably going to come out of pure mma gyms, instead of learning a base like bjj, then transitioning to mma where a lot of what you learned in bjj is now useless when people can gn'p you can avoid that adjustment/ relearning period.

i think the main thing is when more gyms get up to snuff in the level of mma they are training.
>>
>>36497824
I'm a martial arts instructor for ninpo. Most MMA schools teach dog fighting. No pressure points, no joint manipulation, no street defence strategy. It's training to be put in a cage 1 on 1 to beat the shit out of each other. It's good for a start or a base, but don't think you are getting the real deal.
>>
File: image.png (568 KB, 540x643) Image search: [Google]
image.png
568 KB, 540x643
>>36498662
Boxing is one of the best MA for typical self defense because of the emphasis on footwork and balance, it's typically best to maintain mobility and remain upright in these sorts of situations and boxing allows you to do this while striking and one good punch is usually enough to end it. Grappling is great for nonviolent submission and looks better to police but rolling around on the ground isn't always a great idea if the guys friends show up and you're trapped on the ground
>>
>>36498662
dude boxing is all you need if you want to defend yourself. Its also like 50 dollars a month in most places, and muay thai is overpriced boxing with some elbows and kicks thrown in.
>>
>>36498671
>the new wave of mma stars are probably going to come out of pure mma gyms, instead of learning a base like bjj, then transitioning to mma where a lot of what you learned in bjj is now useless when people can gn'p you can avoid that adjustment/ relearning period.
What? do you realise everyone who is worth their salt is focused in a particular martial art than just "mma"?
>>
File: zb3.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
zb3.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
>>36498714
>>36498721

thx guys. i needed to hear that. i didnt choose to be piss poor (18 yr old college student) but damnit i can choose to change my body

you guys are talking to the next muhammad ali
>>
>>36498487

>The fedora of the combat sports world

Take Muay Thai, friend. Krav is for tryhards who can't handle exercise.
>>
>>36498780
Also judo is typically very cheap and a good combo with boxing, I love it
>>
Start with Muay Thai. It's the most physically demanding. After you have 6 months of that, BJJ or Judo will be easy as pie from a conditioning perspective.
>>
>>36498487
Offensive AF senpai,
>>
>>36498780
Don't do boxing, do Muay Thai. Every Boxing gym I've been to was super uninviting to noobs. Plus I find Muay Thai more useful for real world situations and much more of a full body workout.
>>
>>36498895
did you miss the part where he is short on money? MT isnt cheap its really expensive
>>
File: image[2].jpg (42 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
image[2].jpg
42 KB, 500x332
>>36498448
>"mma" can often give you bad habits with the fundamentals

Maybe if you have a shitty coach and/or don't listen to them

>>36498669
again, shitty coach is a shitty coach. You don't necessarily need a specialized coach.

>>36498754
Not necessarily. There hasn't been widespread MMA gyms around for long enough to really see. Sports like wrestling are far more common so it is fairly obvious that most people coming into MMA would have trained in something else from a young age rather than MMA itself.

I'm personally of the opinion that you don't need to come from a specialization.

>>36498858
Muay Thai isn't necessarily the most physically demanding. Grappling requires a different sort of conditioning. I think one of the reasons people get that idea is MT coaches tend to push conditioning more so than do BJJ coaches as part of the class.

I would say the most physically demanding class type I have done are wrestling based classes. We have a former UFC fighter who coaches a particular MMA class which is basically all double leg takedowns with some striking spattered in between. Those are some of the toughest classes that I have done.
>>
whichever seems more fun to you. grappling is more fun for me.

personally, I like splitting them up; I mostly do grappling. I take an MMA class because it's the only thing my schedule will allow for most times, but it feels like subpar striking lessons mixed with pretty decent grappling.

I say pick one or two, but don't do MMA, if you can avoid it.
>>
I'll give a short run down of martial arts I don't have to come in and everybody stuff
>>36497824
Stick with one particular solid martial art styles such as Muay Thai & Brazilian jujitsu. MMA just dog fighting with rules and regulations of the fights can be fixed. There are 21 rules and MMA that exclude the majority of real martial arts techniques such as pressure points in joint manipulation. The only reason why I see them leaving these two vital skill sets out is because they can turn the tide in any fight.

How far a brief summary of the martial arts that may be near you

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is good for one on one fighting and can beat Japanese Jiu-Jitsu in a one-on-one fight because they have more ground work
Japanese Jiu-Jitsu is good for Street defense because they're style revolves around survival and can beat Brazilian Jiu Jitsu if its 5 vs 5. Simply because you don't want to grab one person at a time and while you're on the ground the other guy can stop you
There are many variations of karate so I will not get into the aspect of explaining which ones are great and which ones aren't. But the perfect karate teaches pressure points and building up finger strength we can strike their vitals as well as how to strike with 100% of your body weight. You know this cuz they'll tell you to root yourself into the Earth
More Thai is good for striking butt only if you hit hard continuously object to make your forearms and shins harder. A similar thing can be said about Taekwondo. If your kids are like it won't do much unless once again you hit a vital organ like the neck or the rabbit punch. Taekwondo kicks however are more accurate and require a lot of stomach muscles not to be used as well as flexibility depending upon the start of Taekwondo. WTF Taekwondo is the watered-down version used in the Olympics that became even more so watered down when it came to the public. ITF Taekwondo is the military style.
>>
>>36499079
autism, the post.
>>
File: 669[2].gif (37 KB, 267x219) Image search: [Google]
669[2].gif
37 KB, 267x219
>>36499079
>Excludes joint manipulation
>Except it doesn't
>Pressure points aren't allowed
>Except they are and they don't really do that much
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 320x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 320x310
>>36499079
All versions of taekwondo are shit though
>>
>>36499118
>>36499175
>>>36499079 (You)
>>Excludes joint manipulation
>>Except it doesn't
>>Pressure points aren't allowed
>>Except they are and they don't really do that much

You are not alowed to manipulat the small joint, so no joint manipulation
You can not use leathal, or painful pressure points such a striking the nerves of the arteries in the body. Some of the techniques in UFC exploit this rule such as shooting for the leg. Shooting for the leg is very dangerous because the back your head where your brain stem connects to your spine is exposed to a downward striking elbow which is also illegal to use. Not to mention that area is also illegal to hit because of the chance of death. And the reason why all versions of Taekwondo that you probably experience with your own two hands suck is because they became popular

Any martial art that becomes popular automatically because water down with this generation. The first martial art Masters that came to America would punch a cloud of blood out of each student right after they sign the paperwork to separate the Warriors from boys. Taekwondo used to be powerful until it became popular. After that they lowered their standards of who to train and how to train so that mothers would put their kids in the dojo

Knowing the martial art and its root is key is the most important part of learning that martial art and MMA does not teach that. Every MMA fighter have met does not even know what the name of the art they practice Translate to. They don't know the meaning of Judo Jujitsu karate Taekwondo kung fu wushu Aikido Wing Chun Tai Chi Quan or any other martial art style in the system. Some of them really understanding the name can tell you whether you're going to a good Dojo or not. The jui in jujitsu and Judo stands for gentle. It's not about forcing your opponent to the ground but by pulling his push and pushing his pull to off balance him and take him down with his own Force.

Other words MMA Bushido shows it's budo
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.