[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /dumbbellsonly/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: db.jpg (111 KB, 1200x743) Image search: [Google]
db.jpg
111 KB, 1200x743
Who /dumbbellsonly/ here?
>>
>>36495021
Dyel poorfag pls go
>>
>>36495021
You will never make it.
>>
>>36495049
>>36495190
so 90% of the board?
>>
>>36495190

Dumbells are better for everything except squats and deadlifts
>>
>>36495021
I'm one... Simply don't have enough room in my flat for a barbell set-up. I like stuff I can easily and quickly clear away. So I have two sets of dumbbells, a yoga mat and an old-school rowing machine. Work out about 3 times a week. Love being able to do that stuff at home and despite not having an awful huge amount of weight to throw around and having been serious about this for just under 3 months, I'm starting to see some noob gains... feels good! Dumbbells only probably aren't as effective as a proper set up, but it certainly isn't wasted.
>>
>>36495021
Me. But I'm also using cables. I've tried BB bench once, but failed with dropping the BB on my jaw. I don't want to do it again because I'll never reach my max being afraid of another failure.
>>
>>36495215
So like, the two biggest lifts?
Top kek.
>>
>>36495250

>ohp
>bench
>rows
>>
>>36495225
I don't have space either, so I have a 1 inch thick barbell that's shorter than an oly barbell. It can still carry 340 pounds of weight, which is gonna last most beginners years of deadlifting.

And even without anything but the barbell you can still squat as much weight as you can get above your head.
>>
>>36495215
the only thing dumbbells are better for is incline bench, and even that has a good chance of ruining your shoulders when you go heavy.
>>
>>36495264
I'm sorry, are you implying any of those 3 lifts are bigger than the #1 deadlift, and the #2 squat?
>>
>>36495210
Yep, pretty much
>>
>>36495284
No, but all three are important to every routine
>>
File: 1456595608512.jpg (12 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1456595608512.jpg
12 KB, 306x306
>>36495284
Squats and deadlifts aren't that important for aesthetics. They're only important if you want to be fat and participate in the most cringe-worthy """"sport"""" of all time, """"""powerlifting""""""
>>
>>36495308
Important for any kind of athlete. Only dyels would ever consider only doing squats, deadlifts and bench. Looking at you, SS.
>>
>>36495215
Dumbbells are bad for pressing a lot of weight, you will stall at about 60kg, because stabilizing the weight and having a proper path gets increasingly difficult. It's probably a lot more dangerous to do than real benching, you can't go full out at all and if you lose balance, you can easily have a weight falling into your face without much you can do. Anyone can do dips at home, which are way easier to handle, you already have a lot of body weight to work with, so you don't need tons of additional weight and if you really fail, you just fall to the ground and nothing happens.

I've started out with dbs only at home and doing Scooby stuff to only doing barbell stuff. Not because I went and became a Rippetoe fascist, but simply because a lot of db exercises just got replaced by stuff that worked a lot better for me, which were barbell ones. Lunges work better with a racked barbell than they do with a weird weight on your side, because you can just do the fucking movement. OHP is just a superior lift to anything you can do with dumbbells, yes, even Arnie Press. Just like with db press, you can't put a lot of weight on them before the lift becomes an exercise of not becoming a flailing danger for your furniture. I could go on about this shit for ages.

Progressive overload becomes increasingly difficult, if you're not doing a steroid style body part split, because if you're doing about 6 or 7 exercises overall, you're going to stall on all of them due to the nature of how dumbbells work out.

Barbells are simply better.
>>
>>36495550
Barbells are also just more manly, that's a fact.
>>
make a t handle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427hjj0ZRDc
>>
>>36495550
I'm a 155lbs and I'm struggling to stabilize 100lbs dumbbells for pressing. I can bench 2pl8 but dumbbells work out your stabilizers, I'm able to get better form on all my lifts by working out the stabilizers. It's taken a two months but significant gains have been had.
>>
>>36495688
I'm not saying you can't benefit from db assistance work later, if you're an intermediate lifter, but using them for your main lifts as a beginner, you're not even gonna get to that point.
>>
>>36495021
No thanks, I like making gains.
>>
I don't do dumbbells only, but I feel dumbbells are superior in terms of hypertrophy. I can feel the mind-muscle connection way more.
>>
>>36495021
What's the result of that?
>>
File: 5x5 Heavy Dumbbell Routine.jpg (921 KB, 758x2679) Image search: [Google]
5x5 Heavy Dumbbell Routine.jpg
921 KB, 758x2679
I'd post more but I gotta go to work soon.
>>
>>36495688

>I'm a 155lbs and I'm struggling to stabilize 100lbs dumbbells for pressing.

slow and steady.
>>
>>36495021
I am.
Gym is too far away from my home. I would skip half of the time because i dont want to invest 2-3 hours for 1 hour training.
With 2 dumbbells and a bench you can basically train every muscle in your body.
As somebody already said, squats and deadlifts are problematic, but you can work your way around those things.
So dumbbell only isnt optimal, but you are going to make good gains nonetheless and especially if you are /homegym/ its just more pracitcal.
>>
>>36495021
reporting in.

was lifting for a year and a half with only dumbbells and a pullup bar and made decent gains.
can't wait to buy a barbell though, dumbbell stuff gets pretty risky and stupid once you reached certain weights.
>>
I'm on dumbells only at the moment but once I can't fit any more weights on them I'm buying a barbell
>>
>>36495215
Alright here is why that is bullshit.

You will always be able to press more with the bar than dumbbell. You will always be able to bench more with the bar.
And row more.

Dumbbell exercises are great variations to mix in, but should not be your bread and butter.

Especially not adjustable dumbbells, because the progression jumps are shit.
>>
>>36496246
post routine please
>>
Dumbells are fine. /fit/ is full of statfags who literally, unironically, lift in sets of 5.

Wew laddie.
>>
>>36497055
Post pics, because you sound DYEL as fuck
>>
Anyone have a decent dumbbell routine that I can perform at home? Gonna start going to the gym in like a month or two, but it's not possible right now.
>>
>>36497132
If you can do pistol squats ( it is easier on a chair because you can keep your leg closer to your center of balance.) then doing weighted pistol squats is highly valuable

If you can't, then stick to goblet squats for now (assuming you have heavy enough dumbbell)

A.
Overhead press.
Chin ups
Squat

B.
bench (or floor press)
Dumbbell row or one arm row (or both, alternating each day)
Deadlift (if you have the weight).

If you don't have enough weight to do 3x5 progression, you can just add accessories because you won't make optimum gains regardless, and more volume doesn't hurt if the intensity is low.

Side lat raises, plyometrics on A
Chest flyes (on the floor), and shrugs on B
>>
I do. Made better progress on that than bench. I do floor pressed tho so
>>
>It's probably a lot more dangerous

Absolutely, I don't understand how people like Scooby can say dumbbells are safer than a barbell.

Maybe with really light weight their safer but if I'm gonna fail a bench press I would rather fail with a 300 pound barbell that I can dump off me rather than fail with a 150 pound dumbell in each hand and have one come crashing down on my mouth.
>>
File: 1458681415097.jpg (31 KB, 359x500) Image search: [Google]
1458681415097.jpg
31 KB, 359x500
>>36495021
at the moment im only doing dumbbell and body weight, but im running a half marathon in may so after that I am getting a membership again. cant wait to get cut and build some muscle.... been heav.. husky all my life
>>
File: karhu.png (7 KB, 919x561) Image search: [Google]
karhu.png
7 KB, 919x561
>>36495308
>squatting and deadlifting makes you fat

Oh, i told you to read the goddamn sticky on january 1rd!
>>
>>36495021
Dumbells/flat bench/trap bar home gym master race.

Why do people waste time/money going to a gym?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.