[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meditation While Exercising
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: triathlon-running.jpg (38 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
triathlon-running.jpg
38 KB, 450x300
I'm a runner, and was curious, if any of you had any experience, or advice, on how to meditate, and make progress spiritually and/or mentally, while running?

A friend I knew said he used a form of Son meditation, and could run at a 8:00 mile pace for an hour, and he would barely be breathing hard. Is there something to be said for that?
>>
when i used to run i would close my eyes and it would make it easier but i would have to open them again before i ran into something

goodluck
>>
>>36490171
Are you referring to like "runner's high"? I mean when I run I try to amp myself up usually. Sometimes for long distance days I'll try not to think so much, if outdoors enjoy the scenery, if indoors I'll just focus on breathing.
>>
>>36490199
WHat I'm really curious about, is if it's possible to so distract yourself from the physical, like through meditation, that you can completely overlook pain, and just keep going, beyond what your mind will let you.
Like distracting yourself when you get cut or burnt.
>>
>>36490218
try calming yourself is the best advice i have
>>
I don't know what the fuck you're talking about but I run to calm myself down and clear my mind. Usually only works when I run a 7 mile bike trail that zigs n zags through the woods by my house. Don't even notice the time pass. I'm not exactly looking for the meaning of life but I find that I resolve a lot of problems when I run that trail. Wouldn't call it meditation cause I've never read into that but find some place chill to run away from people.
>>
File: francis1.jpg (583 KB, 1345x1700) Image search: [Google]
francis1.jpg
583 KB, 1345x1700
New Age Spiritualism is demonic, eastern meditation is just opening yourself up for Satan's deceptions. Follow Christ, anon. Store up those Heavenly gains.
>>
>>36490218
Running is meditation bro. I've run through stitches a ton of times and those things hurt like shit and hardly resolve themselves. I've never had burns or cuts but my feet have been worn the fuck out to the point where my body couldn't physically move even though I was giving the command. Not even so much as a nudge. Weird shit. I also don't know what pushed me to that point other than running too far but I guess I wasn't paying attention to the warning signals
>>
>>36490230
you're basically mediating when you run long distances. the only thing i focus on is my breathing and my footsteps, and suddenly im not stressed out or worrying about my life anymore, im just enjoying the cool morning air on my face, the birds splashing around in the lake, the blanket of fog that swims up from the river and spills onto the trail, etc, etc.

mediation doesnt have to be all OM and yoga and incense, it just has to clear your mind of uselesss bullshit for a little while.
>>
>>36490269

>He doesn't realize Jesus went to the East at the age of 13 for 17 years
>East, always to the East
>He doesn't know that Jesus chastised the Zoroastrians
>He doesn't know that Jesus learned the Vedas in less than a year
>He doesn't know that Jesus climbed the Himalayas
>He probably thinks the Christ was fucking around in Britain
>>
I would argue exercise is a form of meditation.

I don't think about the world and my problems when I work out.

It's only about the moment, it's only about what I am doing and gathering the strength to see it to the end.

It's bliss.
>>
File: cg.jpg (236 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
cg.jpg
236 KB, 640x360
>>36490312
>>
>>36490171

Running meditation is intense walking meditation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinhin

To adapt walking meditation to your running regimen you need to match your pace with your breathing. Find the number of strides you can comfortably complete in one complete breath - inhale into the belly, let the breath fill the middle chest, upper chest, hold for a second, then exhale at the same pace. Then keep the tempo and your mind centered on your breath and your strides.
>>
>>36490280
I can relate to that footsteps thing. I guess distance stops being an issue when I innately know that the trail will eventually end as long as I keep moving. Wish I had some pics to post but I don't show up there with my phone or camera.

Tripped over a turkey once while running that thing though. Lotta underbrush so the trail is very defined in that you're running it or standing waste deep in bushes or running into a tree. My only worry is someone will murder me back there but that worry doesn't stick long
>>
i just imagine myself doing something simple while running like throwing a single punch or cutting down a tree. takes my mind off of everything.
>>
>>36490171

you cant enter focused meditation while running because you will fall.

you can try alot but it means shit.

on the other hand you could practice breathing and run with 12 breath ins and breath outs per minute or less.. that kinda is cool and gives you more endurance. but its not "meditating"
>>
File: 2016-03-23 09_01_57.jpg (41 KB, 487x495) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-23 09_01_57.jpg
41 KB, 487x495
Run slow. And I mean real slow. Like you can't hear your breath slow and you can recite shakespeer without gasping for air.

Do that for a few months and you will get faster while keepening the same heart rate and breath.

8 mile pace is nothing after a while
>>
Depends on how fast you are running. If you go decently slow while being able to run at 6min pace, then of course 8min is easy peasy.

That being said, I usually run pretty fast and constantly think of killing myself the whole time. YMMV
>>
Isn't it the same as being in a complete flowstate, thinking about nothing but what your body is doing and your breathing etc.
I love sparring BJJ/submission grappling, because you can get so immersed to the moment for 5 minutes at a time just trying to improve positions, looking for sweeps and locks, using the other guys movement.
>>
http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/training/train-slower-race-faster_52242/2

>According to these self-reports, the women did three easy runs, one moderate-intensity run, and 1.5 high-intensity runs per week. But data collected from heart-rate monitors that the researchers gave to the women to wear through one full week of training told a different story. In reality the women did less than half of their training in the low-intensity range, almost half in the moderate-intensity range, and less than 9 percent in the high-intensity range.
>>
Hi guys, im training boxing and need to get fitterr as i want to take it a bit more seriously. I have some questions

1) Need to start running, I'm thinking of doing the usual road run, or just running an 800m track. Starting at 2-3k then working up to 5 and eventually 10k, i think im genetically pre-disposed to be better at long distance running cos i can last long but am not fast over short distances (Mainly cos i only trained long distance for rugby)

2) I have a question about that "jelly feeling" you get after you play a sport in your legs or arms, because your tired. Is that due to muscular endurance or cardiovascular endurance? I need to find a way to combat this to last longer during boxing trainings.

3) Is it better to train running on the track or road? is there any noticable differences in real life applications?
>>
Meditation doesn't help you ignore the pain, so much as it helps you push through it.
>>
>>36491172
1) Depends on your goals. If you train for speed you will get speedier. The more distance you do the speedier you will get also. So if you want to get speed for a 5k you will run during your week at least 10k during at least one session.

2) You hit the wall. Eat an energy bar or buy some gels or eat some fruits every 40-50 minutes and you should be fine.

3) Track is known length. Probably less stress than asphalt also but boring imo. Trails are master race
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWsHoanB7pw

No
>>
>>36490171
there is a type of meditation where you do stomache vacums, don't know what's it called tough, but I do that sometimes, get's me calm
>>
>hop on stationary bike
>ear buds on
>close eyes
>medidate
5 minutes later I'm watching someone stream on twitch. Makes time fly.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.