[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/, been having trouble sleeping lately. What are your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: melatonin.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
melatonin.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
Hey /fit/, been having trouble sleeping lately. What are your thoughts on melatonin?
>>
OP here. Forgot to say I just took two. Bad move?
>>
>>36489333
are you fucking retarded? two what? Kilograms?
>>
File: n567mbtrv.jpg (89 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
n567mbtrv.jpg
89 KB, 500x500
id say a blindfold is just as good, when its pitch black your body produces more melatonin naturally
>>
>>36489345
The pills are 10mg each, so 20mg
>>
File: god no pepe.jpg (10 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
god no pepe.jpg
10 KB, 249x249
>>36489333
please be lying
>>
>>36489352
I like the pitch black, but the wife has to have Frasier on at night. Tv messes with me, but it's not the only reason. I am wide awake
>>
>>36489325
Less is more. 3mg is is good for most people. It's non habit forming and doesn't mess with your natural production of melatonin.
>>
>>36489325
Works if used once or twice a week. Otherwise you gotta keep upping the dose.

>>36489353
If I take that much, I fall asleep, then wake up 3 or 4 hours later feeling ok, but obviously feel tired the next day. Its like an "OD" just makes you wake up faster.
>>
tolerance builds quick

you stop producing it naturally
>>
Take ZMA or 5HTP.
>>
>>36489420

>non habit forming

dafuq?

extremely habit forming.
>>
>>36489504
Wow, I'm not the only one who has this effect! My neighbor says this never happens to him, but I always wake up earlier after taking melatonin.
>>
>>36489622
I take it once a week and have an insanely addictive personality.
>>
>>36489652

i've taken it every night for the past 6 months because i couldn't/can't sleep without it. gone from 1.5mg to 5, probably gonna have to up again soon.

guess it depends on the person.
>>
I've been taking 6mg every weeknight for the past 8 months. It just takes longer to get to sleep on the weekends but I don't need to be up early anyway
>>
>>36489665
Gotta have some self control
>>
>>36489689

it's not really about self-control at this point. it's not an "i need this feeling" drug addiction... i just need another sleep-aid because i'm a grade A insomniac.
>>
Proven to do next to nothing, most studies put it St 8 mins of extra sleep and falling asleep 5 mins faster, and no one had ever looked at sides of the shit they pack in those pills other than melatonin, it's not medically approved in most countries as it's just a supplement so there can nearly be any old shit in it.
>>
File: 1457063566748.jpg (18 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1457063566748.jpg
18 KB, 224x225
>>36489353

You're gonna need some Tylenol tam.
>>
File: 3random.jpg (25 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
3random.jpg
25 KB, 250x375
I picked up some from the $1 store... works good. Simonex. Felt very refreshed in the morning - solid blackout deep RM sleep. Especially good after squats and deadlifts.
>>
>>36489851

i notice that they put me into a bit of a lull before falling asleep. like a nice, fuzzy mental blanket.

otherwise my mind is just like GOTTAGOFASTGOTTAGOFASTGOTTAGOFAST
>>
>>36489851

It works for me. I was high on stims last night and melatonin put me to sleep.
>>
It's decent for sleep, it's doesn't necessarily make you pass out like stronger stuff, but it can do the trick if the problem isn't that bad. If the problem is in fact, that bad, then I would shoot for some Hydroxyzine, that shit will knock you the fuck out like you took an uppercut from Mike Tyson.
>>
If you find it waning, do to your doc and act for Trazadone.

Non habit forming, no weird side effects like ambien, puts me out like a rock (long time insomniac).

Can make you a bit groggy in the morning, but that shakes off pretty quickly.
>>
>>36489325
haven't read what other people have said, but it works well. If you take it, get in bed pretty soon after you take it or else it won't be too effective if you wait to long to try and sleep
>>
>>36489325
Less is more with this shit, I used to take about 10mg it would feel like I was being forced to sleep, very uncomfortable and anxiety ridden type stuff and would feel like absolute shit in the morning.

Now I take 1mg, and go to sleep in about an hour with no resistance also
No sides at all too
>>
>>36490175
I got trazodone when i was hospitalized... it works, but what's weird is that it's actually an antidepressant.

Anyway, it stopped working for me eventually. I would have had to keep upping the dose, but wasn't about to do that with an antidepressant. I swear my body is some hyper tolerance building nachine.
>>
>>36490258
Yeah doing my research trazadone has had a weird life cycle.

It fell out of favor as strictly an antidepressant but doctors started prescribing it in lower doses as a sleep aid based on patient testimony and interaction since there's little peer study as it's usefulness as a sleep aid.

Also I feel you with the tolerance, mine builds up ridiculously fast.

Norco, Hydrocodone, Vicodin I grow a strong tolerance within two weeks, max.
>>
The same thing happens to me. I wake up 2-3 hours earlier than I usually do, even though it definitely feels like I need more sleep. It's very odd.
>>
I abuse doxylamine succinate

that is my story
>>
>>36490337
I would take it and wake up every morning at like 7 am on the dot and feel wide awake and ready to go. If I go back to sleep and wake up again, I would feel like I didn't get enought sleep
>>
melatonin isn't addictive, but it does downregulate your natural production of melatonin. not permanently, but at least temporarily.
>>
>>36489325
Is that the molecule that makes us kings an shit?
>>
>>36489325
is that the shit your body is trying to get rid of?
>>
File: 1458346986684.jpg (214 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458346986684.jpg
214 KB, 1920x1080
>>36489325
hey I have had a history of pretty bad insomnia.

Melatonin is a hormone, you get immune to the pills after awhile and keep needing higher doses. I think your body is pretty smart and stop making it to compensate the supplementation but thats prolly my own broscience theory. I do know that I went from 5mg up to 25+ for same effects and decided to try other shit.

OTC sleep pills don't even phase me, chamomile/valerian didnt do shit, same with milk and honey with a turkey sandwich. Ended up going to the doctors and asking for the lightest sleep aid possible since I'm kind of scared of pills (or at least don't think taking scrips every day is really good). He ended up giving me 50s of trazodone and those work great. They don't knock you the fuck out like ambien and lunesta and shit its a light dose of an anti-anxiety drug that just relaxes the fuck out of you so your brain shuts up. That worked great for me.

Also, you can take 100mg+ of melatonin you won't die man. 1-3 mg in studies has been shown to be effective but like i said it stopped working for me.
>>
>>36490755
oh on a side note you have vivid as fuck dreams, increased libido, and it give you a grogginess in the morning that take about a half hour to shake off. Not sure if you are worried about those.
>>
Quetiapine (Seroquel) knocks me the fuck out. I have really bad insomnia and was prescribed by a doctor. 1-2 will do the trick, 3-4+ and it's basically a coma
>>
You guys arre all cucks. Caffeine creates more melatonin receptors as your body builds tolerance to it, melatonin doesn't. If you drink caffeine either to wake up or pre-workout you'll build tolerance to melatonin, but melatonin by itself won't.
>>
Melatonin never worked for me, even tried taking 25 tablets once. Still nothing.
>>
>>36490778

Actually that's not how Seroquel works. I could go into detail but basically it is to do with an overflow effect of receptors. Small doses act on the histamine receptors and have the sleep effects. Large doses act on dopamine receptors and have antipsychotic effects. It's a horrible drug from sleep imo and there are far better options including melatonin
>>
>>36490869
The therapeutic dose of Melatonin is quite low and taking any more than 3 mg is pointless.
>>
>>36489333
As in 10mg (pic is 5mg tablets) You will be fine. Source - I once saw a child who took half a bottle in emergency. She was fine lol
>>
>>36489325
I used to take too much for too long and I'm pretty sure it gave me depression

Personally I won't touch the stuff again, but I'd advise using it only for the odd night
>>
>>36490755
> I think your body is pretty smart and stop making it to compensate the supplementation

This does not occur with melatonin. It is indeed non-habit-forming.
>>
Hydroxizine+benzo if im very anxious works better for me.
>>
>>36489325
Don't do it, bro.

My uncle did melatonin and now he can't get trough the day without doing a line of cocaine even after his third intervention.
>>
>>36490203

This. I took it and thought ths sleepy feeling was nice and I'd just enjoy that and pass out later.

But kinda like when ur naturally sleepy in the evening but not at night, it does that.

My little brother tried to convince my parents he needed this when he was 11 cuz he stayed up all night. Came home to see him trying to down a giant fucking jug of coffee at 4pm.
>>
I use it on Sunday evenings to reset my sleep cycle if I need it. Used to be once a week but ur body adjusts to that permanent rhythm and I only do it once or twice a month now.

Always really small doses. Half a pill at max. Usually a fourth or less
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.