[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here meditate? Or is it just a meme that doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: IsThisJamesFoley.jpg (227 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IsThisJamesFoley.jpg
227 KB, 1920x1080
Does anyone here meditate?

Or is it just a meme that doesn't really help anything?
>>
>>36475650
Not in the Buddhist sense.

But I do zone out to instrumental music and just let my mind wander before I go to bed almost every night. So I guess by a loose definition it could count.
>>
>>36475650
Yeah, in the sauna after I lift. Usually with nobody in it.

I can't stretch my legs very far so I can't do the criss-cross sitting.
>>
>>36475650

I've followed heavy meditation routines in the past, currently working on getting serious again.

Meditation is not a panacea - but it does work. It's another tool for your toolbox, not a cure all. While calm abiding is useful to keep up the stoic face, I've found that the breath control you learn through meditation is extremely useful.

It's 10 minutes a day to start. Give it those 10 minutes a day for a month and see how you feel.
>>
>>36475650
If I didn't meditate, I'd be too much of an ADHDfag to lift.
>>
I meditate 15 minutes a day and it has done WONDERS for my mental health.

My daily anxiety levels have dropped significantly.
>>
>>36475671
very loose terms then as meditate really means not having your mind wander, a complete clear mental state
not that i've ever tried it
>>
File: 1416887206350.jpg (120 KB, 381x611) Image search: [Google]
1416887206350.jpg
120 KB, 381x611
>>36475671
>But I do zone out to instrumental music and just let my mind wander
My nigger. Nujabes and Emancipator are the shit.
>>
>>36475650
I meditate every single night as part of my down time.
About an hour before bed I start, usually about 15-20 minutes.
Relax for a bit and watch tv, blood pressure goes down.
>>
stillness meditation and sitting qi gong along with standing qi gong
>>
>>36475794

I'm no expert, but it's not really about forcing your mind not to wander. That's something else: concentration, or bindhu. The thought of forcing your mind to quiet will really only clutter your mind with thoughts about forcing your thoughts to stop. You're not trying to dam up the river, you're trying to float peacefully down it. The first step in practicing meditation is calm abiding.

>sit comfortably cross legged or in a chair
>spine straight
>focus on your breathing
>when your mind wanders, do not feed mental energy into your thoughts
>draw your focus back to your breathing
>eventually the mental backtrack will slow to a crawl, eventually stopping completely
>sit in peace for however long you're comfortable with

That's the most basic technique. From there you can either practice calm abiding throughout your day (walking meditation) or you can move on to building concentration (one-point consciousness/bindhu).
>>
>>36475650
I'm a very anxious/angry person and I've been working on learning to relax. I like listening to meditation music.

>>36475744
Yeah I've found breath control very useful. I'll do breathing at the end of a workout to maximize my lifting high.
>>
File: 1435168331272.jpg (85 KB, 592x640) Image search: [Google]
1435168331272.jpg
85 KB, 592x640
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAD53Ka9AOQ

This one is pretty good. It's a beginner one, felt my third eye after a week or two of doing it.
>>
>>36475903
>>36475951

>I like listening to meditation music

That's one thing I forgot. You need to find a quiet, clean space to meditate. Zen gardens are GOAT for this - if you don't have one near you, or you don't want to bother with it, make sure the place you're meditating is organized. A cluttered mind creates a cluttered room, y'know?

If you can't find a quiet place to meditate, meditation music is a great way to start. You can go with chanting, with sitars, Indian/Mongolian/Native American/New Age - whatever you dig.

Once you get the hang of it though, it's best to go raw with it.

>I'll do breathing at the end of a workout to maximize my lifting high

Nerve breathing is fantastic right after you finish a heavy set. Quick, deep inhale, slow controlled exhale - shoot for 1 to 2 or 1 to 3 on that ratio. It basically resets the central nervous system and makes recovering between sets a breeze.
>>
>>36475650

Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu and Ajahn Brahm are pretty legit.

But yes, I do vipassana meditation and it has helped get rid of most of my social anxiety and depression among other things.

I'm still kind of timid about where practicing insight is going to take me but it has helped me for the most part and I've kind of fallen down the Buddhist rabbit hole so to speak.
>>
>>36475992
>felt my third eye after a week or two of doing it.
wot
>>
>>36475650
Started meditating a month ago and I have accomplished more in first 12 days of this month than I did in entire last month
>>
>>36475650
clean youre mind daily as you clean youre body
>>
>>36475650
A lot of studies show it reduces stress and stress related health problems. But it doesn't give you magical powers.

Except for pain tolerance if you really get into it. There was a monk who sat still while be burned to death
>>
I keep on planning to do it every day but I lack the discipline
>>
>>36480440
This. I downloaded an app called Calm and set a reminder for every day
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.