[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Texas Method
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3
File: 17uv9wcrgrnnkjpg.jpg (86 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
17uv9wcrgrnnkjpg.jpg
86 KB, 640x360
Alright, I'll probably get some shit for posting this but oh well.

I just want to be strong and I enjoy the compound movements the most anyways.

Can I look decent if I just stick to Texas Method for 6months or so? I usually do Push/Pull/Legs

I'm not trying to get super lean, I'm content around 14-15% bodyfat.
>>
Is that a fuckin worm?
>>
Is that a penis or a snake?
>>
>>36472487
>>36472480
OP we need answers
>>
it looks like a pale nigger cock that got left out too long and fell off
>>
>>36472423
Cow dong?
>>
File: 981273981729387129.jpg (95 KB, 861x993) Image search: [Google]
981273981729387129.jpg
95 KB, 861x993
>>36472499
>>
>>36472423
I'm triggered
>>
Yes.

You can add accessory work anyway.
>>
Hell yeah anon, don't listen to the faggots on /fit/ that tell you strength training is a meme and that the only way to aesthetics is a high volume split.

Do the texas method, add weight weekly, push yourself accordingly, and expect to see maximal strength and body composition gains if you are eating at a caloric surplus
>>
>>36472495
>we
u wot?
>>
>>36472423
I've been doing TM for about 2 months with a few isolations added, and my strength has shot up as well as my aesthetic gains, comapred to when I was doing upper/lower and ppl
>>
File: image.png (57 KB, 300x122) Image search: [Google]
image.png
57 KB, 300x122
>>36472543
>>
>>36472423
Did TM for almost a year i think. Built up insane strength.

>tfw deadlifting 200kg as a 5'7 manlet

That being said, I became stocky and quite pudgy. I only became aesthetic when i cut down and moved my fitness goals from being stronk, to being fit as fuck (started doing more running than lifting).
>>
>>36472423
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEohfPC4sso
>>
>>36472556

I'm doing U/L Texas Method. How can your aesthetic gains shoot up if you're squatting more often than you bench?
>>
>>36472594
I think the reason you became stocky and pudgy was because of your diet and / or lack of cardio, not the fact that you were lifting heavy.
In fact I'd guess that you built up a very solid base using texas method and eating at a surplus, then simply cut down to the muscle you already had.
>>
>>36472532
>the texas method, add weight weekly, push yourself accordingly, and expect to see maximal strength and body composition gains if you are eating at a caloric surplus

also you can add hypertrophy accessory and you can do it as a split. Unless you only want to train 3 days a week with minimal accessory work. I'd at least add curls for the gurls and DB rows and depending if you are doing powercleans or RDLs, do RDLs, then you got some hamstring volume and won't have to do hamstring curls. But you can do that to. Honestly I would just runt it as a powerbuilding scheme.
>>
Anyone here ever do Smolov? I am seriously considering doing it this summer
>>
>>36472638
Don't know mang, prolly because I'm getting stronger way quicker than I'm used to so even though I'm not benching too often I'm building muscle.

Plus I'm enjoying the leg gains
>>
>>36472648
You need to be eating at a surplus if you expect to hit PRs every week, which TM requires you to do. If you eat at maintenance, or do cardio to burn off whatever surplus you're eating, then you aren't going to make your lifts, so what's the point of doing TM? The last bit is true though.
>>
>>36472638
>squatting 3 times a week
>benching / pressing 3 times a week
Wow its insane that you don't get huge chest boobies from all that upper body work you do on texas method.
Different anon here, but I have been running texas method for a few months now and I can assure you that sqautting once a week for volume, then recovery, then for a pr, will not destroy your aesthetics, in fact, it will have quite the opposite; you will build muscle and become stronger as well.
I don't know where this t-rex meme came from but I can assure you if you have been lifting for more than 3 months and are already not predisposed to wide hips your legs will not magically become larger than your upper body.
>>
Is there a site of different TM variations?

Like 4 day TMs, UL TMs, Hypertrophy TMs etc
>>
>>36472692
The point of doing TM is to get fucking STRONG. Most early intermediate lifters are still in DYEL mode and attempt to cut down to their tiny ass abs.
You absolutely must make substantial, long term strength and size gains if you ever expect to cut down to any visible, tangible muscle.
Otherwise you will be cutting and bulking the same ~20 lbs yearly with little to no size gains.
>>
>>36472696

But won't your upper body be lagging behind? I switched to U/L TM just to try it and am liking it so far. I might go back to regular 3 day TM in the interest of time although I fucking hate having heavy squats AND benches AND deadlifts on the same day.
>>
>>36472710
>Hypertrophy TMs

Curious about this. I think there were program builders on strstd.com or something
>>
>>36472738
Why not just do a TM with the volume day split?
>>
>>36472710
It is in the practical programming book, which you can torrent / buy.
It is a worthwhile read if you expect to lift weights for more than a couple months desu
>>
>>36472733
>cutting and bulking

lel

Why would you even, when you can steadily grow mass healthily.

>>36472752

Ahh I think I see what you're getting at. So like:

Volume Upper, Volume Lower, Rest, Intensity Upper, Intensity Lower?

Sounds pretty good actually.
>>
>>36472733
that's what I'm saying. To get strong you need to eat a surplus. To keep up with lifting heavy you need to eat a surplus. You can't just say i got stocky because of diet and not lifting heavy when they both go hand in hand.
>>
>>36472738
The whole point of having all that heavy shit on one day is to induce a stress / shock to your body. This is why there is a recovery day after.
The entire point of the texas method is to stimulate weekly progress through overcompensation. I.e. you push past your limits monday, recover from your workout wednesday, and test for new prs friday.
An U/ L split is fine imo, but if you want to see maximal strength/ size gains on the texas method, the 3 day template is perfect.
And the very reason your upper body is not lagging behind is because you are adding weight weekly, and have the exact same volume for both upper body and lower body exercises. If you find one of your lifts/ body parts lagging this is the fault of your efforts not the routine.
>>
>>36472772
I agree with you, cutting and bulking as a natural lifter will almost never result in progress.
Its sad that most of /fit/ disregards this and eventaully morphs into the same cookie cutter gym bro that "reaches his natty limit" when he hits a 2 plate bench and hops on steroids or just stops lifting.
I really am starting to hate this place desu
>>
>>36472824
What's your advice? Just permanently eat at surplus?
>>
>>36472843
Honestly, in a way, yes. Set a long, and I mean long term goal in terms of your lifting / weight lifted. And when you have achieved these goals, do a "recomp", or cut down to your desired bf % and start from square one, setting a very long term goal and hitting it then changing your body accordingly.
Keep in mind this is not in the context of a few months, but rather a few years.
Change requires time, a lot of it. And you have to be willing to put in a long, sustained effort in order to gain and put on muscle, and only "cut" when you feel it is necessary.
The winter bulk, summer cut cycle is too short for natural lifters.
Eat big.
Get big.
Only after may you consider a "cut" or a "body recomp"
>>
>>36472423

Benis :DD
>>
>>36472843
I do this. It works well for me.
>>
>>36472808

So are you saying the Press and Bench are interchangeable? That's what always got me about SS/TM, you squat 3 times a day but bench (or press) with half the frequency. I guess I should have had faith, although I only learned this through experience.
>>
>>36472911
>>36472886
Cheers for the replies. I've got the average male skinnyfat sorta body, and I was planning on bulking till I finished SS, then I'd recomp then slow cut till I was lean whilst maintaining my lifts, then I'd bulk for the TM.

Bad idea?
>>
I feel like my legs are improving vastly more on TM than my upper body. Also, I can push myself a lot harder on squats than I can on bench/OHP. Like at the end of volume day on squat, I'll be sweaty and exhausted but after bench, I barely am out of breath after a min or two.
>>
>>36472923
What texas method has you do is bench/press/bench one week, then press/bench/press the week after that. Both of these movements overlap in terms of muscles being worked in one way or the other, and will provide ample upper body mass.
This combined with pullups, power cleans, and deadlifts will give you the upper body mass you desire.
And yes, have faith in the process, there's a reason there's people in this thread talking about its success, myself included.
>>
Sorry for being 'that guy', but what's the best alternate for Cleans?
>>
>>36472957
it's supposed to be like that. your back and legs have more potential for growth, and squats and deadlifts are more taxing exercises than the presses.
>>
>>36472943
Sounds decent enough to me, but you may want to hold back on cutting right after doing SS since you will stall and maybe even lose strength if you are not careful.
But it is your decision and as long as you are eating at a surplus you will become stronger, remember that.
>>
>>36472987
RDLs + rows.
I am looking to start powerlifting so this is what I opted for.
Keep the RDLs relatively heavy and the rows at high volume low intensity.
Its no replacement for powercleans but will allow you to get stronger nonetheless
>>
>>36472487
penis snek
>>
>>36473001
This, think of it in terms of muscle recruitment, it takes a lot more of your muscles to squat weight than to bench one, its the reason world record raw squats are higher than raw benches.
>>
>doing TM
>adding dumbell row + tricep cable pulls + pullups + back extension + planks for accessories
Is that okay? I'm mostly tired of twig arms.
>>
>>36473049
No problem at all, just make sure you do them after your compound movements and do it so it does not hinder your progress in any of the lifts
>>
>>36472923
>That's what always got me about SS/TM, you squat 3 times a day but bench (or press) with half the frequency. I guess I should have had faith, although I only learned this through experience.
what you and a lot of other people fail to realize is that SS (and TM) is a squat, a press and a pull every workout. you don't alternate the squat because there's nothing quite as useful to alternate with, but if you did something like front squats for B days you'd back squat just as often as you bench press. you don't squat more often than you press and pull, it's just that you do the same squat every time while the presses and pulls alternate.
>>
>>36473049
anything is "OK" as long as it doesn't interfere with progress on the main lifts.
>>
>>36473006
Well for my cut I was going to do SS again, but just doing the same weights each session (obviously not progressing as I'll have 'finished') in order to keep my strength safe during the cut. Once my cut is done I'll hop onto TM on a good old bulk.

It won't be a big cut anyway, just a 500kcal deficit at most.
>>
>>36473132
That's fine then, just don't lose your mind when you are stalling on your lifts while cutting.
But in the same breath don't be afraid to try and squeeze everything you can out of your noob gains once you cut, i.e. adding weight weekly during SS instead of every workout
>>
>>36473065
>>36473082
I do it after my main. Hasn't been dragging them down at all but I do notice that I'm more exhausted now (with shaky muscles at the end - hypoglycemia?) and usually want to eat right after the workout. A fine tradeoff I think.
>>
>>36473169
Your body usually cannot work at full capacity after about an hour of weightlifting. This is why you get all of the hard / complex stuff done first then move on to the simple, low intensity stuff.
So yeah all that stuff that happens is normal
>>
What about hepburn
>>
>>36473431
could you give a template of it?
>>
>>36473071
>>36472923

This is fair enough and one way of looking at things. However the way that I see it the squat and pull are both lower body exercises, and doing them on the same day with whichever press the lower body movements outnumber the upper body 2 to 1. That's why I started doing the 4-day split where you Bench and Press on one day, and squat and deadlift (or RDL or clean) on the other. Just seemed more balanced to me. Although doing it now I can certainly see the overlap in the muscles used by the bench and ohp. I'll have to feel out whether the extra volume of doing them on the same day is helpful to my goals or not. I might revisit traditional TM as well because of what you've said.
>>
>>36472982

meant to quote you in >>36474300
>>
Question: in the traditional TM in Practical Programming 3rd edition you're supposed to alternate power cleans and power snatches. Is there some way to replace the power snatches with something else like RDLs or more cleans? The reason is that I can't do them at my gym.
>>
>>36474332
>is there some way to replace power snatches with something else?

Yes, by swapping them with something else.
>>
>>36474344

Such as?
>>
>>36474578
RDLs or Cleans
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.