[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I fix my lower back pain? physio says it's neither
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: back pain 460.jpg (108 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
back pain 460.jpg
108 KB, 460x345
how do I fix my lower back pain? physio says it's neither pelvic tilt or hernia. but they don't know what it is, and they gave me some exercises that don't do shit. I get a mild pain every day, mostly in the morning. it doesn't matter if I work out or not, it doesn't matter if I stretch or not. it happens at random, lasts an hour, an entire day. some days I don't get anything. it doesn't hurt when I lift.
>>
>>36460687
I've got something pretty similar. It's when I torque my pelvis up to the side and back, I get pain in my lower back. I have like constant muscle knots there so I'm not sure if that's the cause or a symptom of the actual problem.
>>
Same, only in my left side when i do daily activities. As soon as I brace, it's gone (for SQ and DL), very strange. Anyone with experience on this?
>>
I've got the same thing
I take 2x ibuprofen 3x every day
I need to lay down on my back 2-3x before noon and cram my fist under my back to use a knuckle to massage out the pain
Been about 5 weeks
>>
Could go for a better bed.

These guys are top bracket but expensive. Warning: side effects may include prolonging otherwise shitty relationship because neither can imagine not having this bed.

http://obasan.ca/contact-us/soma-organic-mattresses-toronto/?gclid=CNzPooCs0MsCFVGAaQodECMNfA
>>
>>36460931
I don't want to take ibuprofen, I want to fix the cause of the pain, not the pain itself so it doesn't get worse.
>>
I've got daily muscle knots in my lower back that hurt less after I knead them out.
Do you guys think it's because I spend my entire day in an office chair with horrible posture?
>>
>>36461351
how do you define muscle knot?
>>
>>36461460
on both sides of my spine above my ass I have these painful knots in my muscles that feel better after I push on them hard with my thumb
>>
>>36461480
My friend, I have these and totally thought shit was normal. Lurking for more possible info.
>>
>>36462168
Are you tall? Do you sit a lot?
>>
>>36462189
5'9" and for the most part I'm on my feet.
I do occasionally sit for long periods(5-6hr) gaming. Like maybe one to three times a month
>>
>>36462349
Hmm. I'm 6'2 and spend literally 80% of the day in my office chair. I can't see how our situations would cause similar issues
>>
>>36462370
I suppose I had a period of time right after I got married where me and the wife would just veg out and watch movies for 8 hours a day. At the time I was doing tile work so I was quite active for the 10 or so hours before being lazy as fuark
>>
Hey OP I struggle with lower back pain

Stretch your fucking hamstrings, every day
Seriously stretch your hamstrings
and do supermans
>>
>>36460687
>>36460708
>>36460733
>>36460931
>>36461351
>>36462168
ALL OF YOU
I had this and it was very bad to the point where if i was not bracing, I was in pain.
The trick? TAKE A FUCKING BREAK. Take a few days off, eat healthy and like a motherfucker, sleep more and take a few vitamins and ASPIRIN - nsaid for inflammation. Just take a break and you'll be ok soon.
>>
>>36462550
I've had this for many years. I'm pretty much just living with it now. I don't think it's gonna go away by just resting a few days. also what do you mean by that

>eat healthy and like a motherfucker

?
>>
>>36462673
eat a LOT but don't have processed garbage. Your body needs healthy foods in surplus to regenerate tissue. If you've had it for years, get a fuckin x-ray man. Could be a spinal twist or a herniated disk.
>>
>>36460687
http://www.triggerpoints.net/symptom/lumbar-pain

If it hurts where it's red, massage around the X. It should be a tender spot.
>>
>>36462803
I've had an xray (although nor an mri) and it came up looking normal. my physio insists I don't have an hernia. they just can't explain the symptoms. I'll try what you suggested, although eating a lot and not working out is gonna be difficult on my morale
>>
spinal decompression is the only thing that can work for back pain

do a dead hang from a pullup bar every time you're at the gym
>>
>>36462821
Neat, my symptoms seem exactly like the Longissimus Thoracis trigger point. Maybe this will change everything, thanks m8
>>
>>36462846
this alleviates the symptoms temporarily
>>
>>36462846
no troll but I had lower back pain on my left side during pull days for some reason. It wasn't actual pain but you could feel a discomfort there.

I decided to do deadhangs on a captains chari and use that as a medicine ball. No lie I guess I pulled my back or some shit because that bitch was tender for a good 2 weeks.

Found out it was because my hamstrings were over developed compared to my quads and I had weak abs. I started doing ab work and the pain vanished.
>>
OP, get a harder bed, especially if you weigh a few pounds and you have a soft bed your hips will sink into the bed at night causing your spine to flew, your body will try to conpensate by contracting muscles and you will be in pain. Also make sure the seat in your car *if you have one* is leveled so that you don't tilt to either side when you are driving.
>>
>>36463223
to state the obvious by harder bed you mean harder mattress?
>>
>>36462349
Might wanna invest in better work shoes or insoles. As someone who's worked as a line cook, barback, and bartender, I can tell you that footwear is hella important. And if you are a cook or a bartender (on your feet, but walking mostly short distances in a small area), having a quality mat to stand on is hella clutch
>>
File: squats butt wink.jpg (32 KB, 574x463) Image search: [Google]
squats butt wink.jpg
32 KB, 574x463
it might have to do with bad squat form. I had the butt wink
>>
>>36463569
Yes
>>
Maybe invest in an MRI down there, that might elicit a better diagnosis from a dr
>>
Lots and lots of ab work. I'm always planking, stomach vacuuming, and engaging my core any time I sit, walk or stand.
>>
Physiotherapist here.

The amount of myths and misconceptions surrounding low back pain is staggering. Here are some facts for you.

1. We suck at diagnosing low back pain, and by "we" I don't mean physios but everybody. An MRI is useless and sometimes even counterproductive due to the unfortunate fact that A) You will almost always find something that stands out, and B) You have NO IDEA of knowing whether what you're looking at is what actually causes the pain.
Oh, and here's a fun related fact for you: somebody who's labeled with an actual diagnose take on average 3 times as long to get over their pain as somebody who's simply told they have "non-specific low back pain". This is because of the simple fact that when you think something is seriously wrong with you, your nervous system becomes hypersensitive and everything's going to hurt. For this reason also, it's really not always the best idea to have a doctor show you your MRI because 9 times out of 10 they'll be throwing shit at you like "degenerative changes" and so on, LITERALLY mindfucking you.

2. The more chronic your pain has become, the less it has to do with actual tissue damage. It's become a problem with your brain and nervous system. This is true for many kinds of pain, not just low back pain.

3. The only evidence-based way to get rid of low back pain through training is actually just by training - Not some specialized "core" mumbo jumbo. Just get moving. Moving and exercising beats resting and lying around.
Note however that there's a big difference between exercising for health and well-being, and exercising for maximum performance. The deadlift for example is one of the greatest ways to strengthen your whole back and feel good, but if your goal is to push the envelope performance-wise and lift 2x your bw or more, then the risk/reward ratio gets skewed (not that I'd necessarily advice against that, just be aware that you'd no longer be training for health).
>>
>>36465438
I have trouble with your point #2. the symptoms are not in my head, the way I feel it I know it's real. and your point #3 doesn't apply to me, I exercise more than 99% of people yet most of them don't have the back pain I have.
>>
I went to physio 2 years ago because I had back pain every day for a year. They recommended some core exercises and I did that for a couple of months while deloading my deadlifts and squats

It cured my back pain almost entirely. I'm still not lifting as heavy as I did back then, mainly to save my back. It's not worth it
>>
>>36465508
if you exercise a lot and have chronic backpain it does sound like an actual injury... go to your doctor
>>
>>36465508

What do you mean they're "not in your head"? All pain is in your head and hypersensitivity is a thing. There's been several cases where patients, by sheer will of mind and concentration, have reduced the pain that they're feeling to be almost non-existant. There's an example in the book "The Power of Habit" where someone was instructed to imagine his pain clearly visible on a MRI scan, then imagining it reducing and then disappearing. This was to be done every time he felt any pain, and after a few months of doing this multiple times a day, it disappeared. It sounds like mumbo jumbo but it's not, and if >>36465438 knows anything he can probably confirm stories like this to be true.
>>
>>36465438

So even if I feel pain while working out, it's not nescessarily a bad thing? I find all the recovery exercises I do 'cause a bit of pain while I'm working out but disappears the day after, and things seem to have improved even though I work out with like this.
>>
Get an inversion table, use it 2-3x daily.
>>
>>36467679
if your advice is to ignore the back pain until it goes away, it's pretty fckin terrible
>>
>>36460687
Do you sit alot?
>>
>>36469870
Yes.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.