[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martial arts or Lift weights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 224x225
In terms of weight loss and overall fitness capability should a person pratice some martial arts (like muay thai or MMA) or just stick to lifting?
And what martial art should a man pratice? Muay thai, MMA, boxe or some oriental sports like karate or judo?
Thanks
>>
Jiu jitsu
>>
Do both. Lift and train MA I mean.

As for what MA to train just for fitness; BJJ and Muay Thai
>>
>>36455351
Just do a sport you like. If you like martial arts, cool.
The key is to find something you like in which you'll be motivated to perform. If you like the activity and want to do it well, you'll be motivated to improve your fitness for the sport, and it will make you look better and feel better.
Good luck, pal.
>>
I took muay thai for years and taught it for awhile. You will absolutely hurt yourself if you do martial arts. Not true with weightlifting. I do recommend you take martial arts for a year or two, just to learn how to actually fight, but that would be the max, and that would be time not spent in the gym. Up to you.

In order of usefulness:
Yoga
Weightlifting
Martial Arts

Martial arts should really be a hobby. Not something you take for fitness or "self defense" (get a gun/knife/mace/tazer). Do them if you like them.
>>
Lift and do martial arts. A full body strength routine two or three times a week.

As for martial arts, Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA, sambo (probably not available), freestyle wrestling and judo work. Stay away from krotty and aikido and stuff like that. The best are MMA and sambo because you'll get a mix of grappling and striking. No use trying to sleeper hold somebody if their mates put the boot to you.
>>
Choose 1 of them. Can-t do both... trustme I tried. For martia arts you want to have lots a cardiovascular resistance, be lightweight, speed, just enough muscle to not slow you down...
Lifting weights is just for people who want to be good inside the gym...
>>
these posts are useless. do both.
>>
Thanks everyone. I will try to do both MMA and lifting.
>>
>>36456548
true.
did martial arts while weightlifting, not a good idea.
when my martial arts lessons got harder the gymperformance suffered, and vice versa.

if you want to look like a bodybuilder, then bodybuild, if you want to be good at martial arts, do martial arts.
better to be good at one thing instead of semi good at two.
wanna get stronger while doing martial arts? train harder.
no need to go to the gym if you do muay thai 4-5 times a week and if you still feel tat you have left over energy for lifting, well then you are training like a lil bitch
>>
>>36458816
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>36458816
care to explain why or are you only interested in being a badass on the interwebs?
>>
>>36455460
This
>>
>>36455495
Fucking wuss
>>
File: Heavyweight.jpg (87 KB, 500x713) Image search: [Google]
Heavyweight.jpg
87 KB, 500x713
OP, see the pic you posted? Wanna look like them? Then stick to a martial arts, but if you want to be a heavyweight fighter like pic then lift as well, but know that heavyweight fighters are slower, and pack more power behind their punches, which means that you can receive serious damage much easier if you choose to compete in your weight class.
>>
>>36458947
no he made complete sense. your body only has so much recovery.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.