[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Might be dumb question, but here we go. What is the /fit/ stance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: Craft-Beer.jpg (224 KB, 1611x1008) Image search: [Google]
Craft-Beer.jpg
224 KB, 1611x1008
Might be dumb question, but here we go.

What is the /fit/ stance on alcohol? I like to have a beer or two every night but hear that they have a lot of empty callories and such.
How often and what does /fit/ drink?
>>
I like rum

I drink rum

Few nights a week, in fact

Don't affect my gains none, m8ey
>>
>>36452666
There are jacked frat boys that get wasted like 3x a week while barely sleeping and living off of tater tots, while skinnyfats on /fit/ will pretend having a beer every now and then will kill your gains and give you gyno.

Yeah, beer has little nutritional content for the calories. Would be best to keep it at 1 per night, or even every other night.
>>
Beer is awful for you, but if you drink it in moderation you'll be fine. Carb-heavy, but unless you're really obsessed about carbs I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>36452666
Satan, pls go. Trying to stop drinking.
>>
I read somewhere having a beer is like eating 7 slices of bread

that's pretty crazy
>>
>>36452666
Personally I avoid Beer accept for social situations because of it's high carb content and low alcohol to calorie ratio
Whiskey though, I don't know what I'd do without a glass of Kentucky strait bourbon whiskey a few nights a week.
>>
>>36452934
Nothing is wrong with bread
>>
>>36452666
I don't casually drink but when I do drink it's too excessive amounts. If you can control what you eat when you drink then drink away coors light is around 100 per bottle so fuck it have 200 calories if you want
>>
>>36452988
here we go
>>
>>36452666
So long as you train hard, eat and sleep, you can make gains while drinking regularly. It's not ideal though and will slow you down. Extreme drinking will make you fat.

I quit drinking after college because I felt like it was interfering with my mental gains.
>>
>>36452666
/fit/ is sill a relatively normal board so I think most guys in here can enjoy getting fucked up with mates without getting autistic about their macros for the night
>>
>>36452666
From a fitness point of view, it has only bad qualities. All the calories are empty carbs and alcohol is literal poison. That being said, having a few brews every once in a while is not going to have a significant effect on your goals or your body. A beer or two every night? Might be an issue if you're drinking something really heavy and are trying to cut weight (2 bottles of sam adams is like 400 calories) , but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>36452934
A slice of bread has about 70 calories. I don't know of any beer that has 490 calories in a bottle.
>>
>>36453046
>>36452934
I think it's the carb content. A slice of bread has 12 carbs in it, most beer has similar carb content, but not as filling.
>>
>>36452934

You saw it on that stupid tumblr post about going to the gym to cope with a breakup
>>
>>36453046
I opened my bottle of 2014 Abyss tonight. 22oz of 11% imperial stout. Probably about 660 calories right there.
the real bitches in beer are the high ABV sweet beers, ESPECIALLY stouts. You want to get fat really fast, load up on those during the winter.
>>
>>36452755

>drinking liquid bread

guys.

drink liquor.

beer won't kill g gains but it is the most unnecessary form of carbs imaginable

if you're going to consume alc, consume pure alc. can't store it as fat.
>>
>>36453287
But stouts are the best kind of beer...
>>
OP, you're not an athlete. You don't have to keep your body in tip top condition, nor do you have a schedule that allows it.
Drink in moderation (and get fucked up every now and again) like a normal person.
Just, y'know, skip the drunk food.
>>
>>36453305
Drunk food is my weakness. The second I get slightly buzzed I get mad as fuck cravings for spicy shit. It's horrible
>>
>>36453301
I don't dispute that at all. They're my favorite, by far.
They're also very high in both carbs and alcohol. I've had to be very strict about self limitation this winter.
>>
>>36453312
What a cruel world we live in.
>>
>>36453330
the ones we love always hurt us the most
>>
>>36453335
How do ambers stack up? That's probably my second-favorite type of ale.
>>
>>36453309
I'm basically a hypocrite cuz even though I'm saying "skip drunk food" I almost never skip drunk food
I've never felt like I was addicted to alcohol, but whilst drunk I def feel like I'm addicted to currywurst
>>
>>36453344

there is this thing called a gag reflex
>>
I tried doing pullups with the cable instead of regular and so did them quite heavy, straining to finish last rep, 5x8. I've woken up today and my neck's stiff, could I have pulled something? Hoping I don't have meningitis desu
>>
File: currywurst.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
currywurst.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
>>36453344
>currywurst
When I visited Europe, I was in berlin for 3 days.

I had currywurst 6 times. Sweet jesus christ it's the best street food in the world. That and Doner Kebab.
>>
>>36453341
with any beer, it depends on their initial malt content and ending alcohol content.
ambers usually don't break 6%, so it might be a little carb heavy since it's a maltier beer, but I'd guess that an amber ale wouldn't go much past 200 on the high end.
http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/
this is a neat bit on beer calories. has a chart on the bottom to help you estimate with kinds of beer
>>
>>36453347
>doesn't like currywurst
>britbong detected
>>36453361
Naw man you ain't had great street food until you've had newly hatched chickens deep fried on a stick
>>
File: 1430081110122.png (114 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1430081110122.png
114 KB, 250x250
>>36453437
don't tempt me, I just got settled in California
>>
>tfw going away for 5 days
>will sink shitloads of piss
>no gym access

i'll need to work hard this week and after to make up for it

also I drank my BCAA recovery drink and then went out straight after and didn't feel the slightest bit drunk even though I was drinking for several hours, is it just the hydration that stopped it or would the BCAA be a non-factor. The beer was pretty standard draft beer like 4.5% I wasn't drinking craft beer that night.
>>
>>36453437

oh no, currywurst is iight.

i'm just saying that if drunk munchies are causing you a weight gain problem, there's a cheat code.
>>
>>36453455
that makes it a treat on the times back
balut is surprisingly easy to find in north america, not actually a fan of it myself tho
>>
honestly, you know youre completely autistic when you refuse to drink with your m8s because of "gains". Otherwise what is the point of /fit/ if not to lift and showcase your progress to your own group of friends
>>
>>36453475
If you're serious about losing weight, you really can't afford to fudge even a single day unless it's a cheat day.
>>
>>36453464
Oh, I see. My bad bro, I owe you a beer.
It's not causing me a weight gain problem, I'm not enough of a drunk for it to be, but I'm telling someone to skip drunk food even though doing it myself would break my heart
>>
For me, alcohol is the worst gains goblin there is, but that's because of how I use it.

I never drink alone ever, and I never drink in moderation, I only drink when I go out with the lads/the gf and get wasted. By the end of the night I will have consumed thousands of calories and will wake up dehydrated, sleep deprived and hung over, and even if I can will myself to train in this state I'll have a shit workout, and my strength will be affected for 2-3 days afterward.

I haven't had a drink in about a month. I care too much about my lifting these days to get wasted.
>>
>>36452666

From a strictly fitness stance there is zero upside to drinking ever.

I drink socially, but rarely. I lived in Wisconsin for a while and watched the drinking culture there literally ruin the lives of everyone around me. Also every girl there is super cute freshman year of college but by 25 they all look like they are in their mid 30's and best case scenario a little chubby. The few cute girls I met who were older either moved to the city recently or didn't drink for some reason or another. A few girls I met or casually dated there I still have on Facebook and they look beat down as fuck even though it's only been a few years since I last saw them.

Drinking to excess will put years on your ass. I wouldn't recommend drinking 2 beers a night, but going out a few times a month is whatever.
>>
>>36452666
Very occasionally with yay and bars.

Go big or go home.
>>
>>36453486

drink liquor, not beer, to avoid storing the calories as body fat

drink hella water to avoid hangovers

preferably only drink on nights before rest days
>>
>>36453486
Same exact situation here m8 except I'm recently single so going out every weekend is kind of a given. I'm getting better at handling the hangovers and weekends are designated non-gym days to avoid working out hungover but man beer is a fucker of a gains goblin hey

Are you one of those real niggas who admit that most alcohol tastes like mouthwash or literal piss and you only drink it for the effects/the good times feelings?
>>
>tfw alcohol is 5% fun 95% pain

my body doesnt process booze normally. when i drink its fine but afterwards hangovers for me are, as best i can tell, 10x worse than most people. two beers is a guaranteed splitting headache. 6+ will make me puke (at hangover time, not while i party or whatever) and i think if i ever drank enough to get shitfaced it legit might kill me.

ive read a) alcohol breaks down into some other chemicals before it leaves the body, and this secondary chem is what makes you sick from hangover, and b) there is an enzyme in the liver that breaks down this byproduct/breakdown of alcohol. I know you can buy this enzyme as a supplement so I'm going to try that and hopefully that does the trick. If that doesnt work, i fuckin give up
>>
>>36453663
> if i ever drank enough to get shitfaced
if i ever drank enough to get shitfaced again*

ps im 30. it wasnt this bad when i was younger, though it was still rough. but now, holy shit.

and ive tried every trick to mitigate hangovers. only thing that works is excedrin lol.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.