[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has anyone here done couch to 5k? I have only run a few times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 13
File: couch.jpg (214 KB, 600x464) Image search: [Google]
couch.jpg
214 KB, 600x464
has anyone here done couch to 5k?

I have only run a few times in my life and I always thought of it as torture, a miserable experience...but i have been hearing it stops being so bad once you are conditioned

im wondering how tough it is and if you ever wind up feeling ok about the idea of running or even liking it

also why are there hardly ever any running threads on /fit/
>>
Listen to music while you run

Also you don't need a fucking plan to get good at running. It's not like building muscle. This shit isn't complicated. Just start running, and don't fucking stop until your legs get tired or you get a stitch. Slow down if your lungs can't keep up but don't fucking stop until you get pain in your chest or your leg muscles get exhausted. Then get up and do it again several times a week, forever. At first it will suck, but yes, it gets better.
>>
>>36451047
>Listen to music while you run
>Also you don't need a fucking plan to get good at running.

but i can only run for 60seconds and then i lay down and feel like someone has given me a beating

i doubt songs will help
>>
File: 1436655780901.jpg (293 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1436655780901.jpg
293 KB, 960x1280
>>36451019

it can hurt your feet too
>>
>>36451019
Are you fat?
>>
Just stick with it, run every other day and don't be a bitch. I started not being able to run a half mile without stopping but I just got back from a 7.5 miler and it was pretty fun.

Take your time and push yourself farther than you went last time, every time.
>>
>>36451582

I am about 50lbs overweight

6'4, 250
>>
>>36451526
fapfapfap
>>
If you're fat then running can be hell on your joints, I recommend cycling instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 1498x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 1498x1000
>>36451608
I tried running. I went from no running to being able to do 10k in 1 hour at 6ft, 260ish lbs. Not an amazing time, but not too unreasonable at that weight I didn't think.

At no point did I ever enjoy it. To me, every other form of cardio is more enjoyable. I ran on treadmills and outside. Even some cool views of my city (pic related) didn't make it enjoyable.

Good luck.
>>
File: MuseAbsolution-300dpi5B15D.jpg (359 KB, 1429x1416) Image search: [Google]
MuseAbsolution-300dpi5B15D.jpg
359 KB, 1429x1416
>>36451019
>has anyone here done couch to 5k?
Probably. I've recommended it to my family, but none of them followed through. I've yet to meet a single person who has.
>I have only run a few times in my life and I always thought of it as torture, a miserable experience...but i have been hearing it stops being so bad once you are conditioned
This is true. When I first started running, I could barely do 5mph for 20 minutes. Now I do 4.5 miles in 30 minutes twice a week (it took me about a year to get here). It takes time to get used to it, but I found that rotating between comfortable running speed days and a little faster than that helped my run time.
>im wondering how tough it is and if you ever wind up feeling ok about the idea of running or even liking it
A lot of things in life aren't pleasant. This one pays off.
>also why are there hardly ever any running threads on /fit/
Because /fit/ is a bunch of autistic meatheads who care more about gains than cardiovascular health. Do both, eat enough, and you'll be well off.

Also, listen to music. You release serotonin when you run, and having something you love and it gets your adrenaline pumping makes the experience feel incredibly badass. Pic related
>>
This doesn't have to do with running but just cardio in general

Could I use the rowing machine at my gym as a substitute for running as a cardio exercise? I just have way more fun using it than the treadmill
>>
>>36451019
I did the whole series starting at week 4. The first week is the worst after that it gets better. If you're fat use baby powder so your thighs rubbing together doesn't cause Indian burns.
>>
>>36451743
I used to do that, just be careful you don't get too into it. Sometimes I would get really into going faster and faster and turn the weight up because it felt good, then by the time I went to do my workout I was already half gassed.
>>
File: 4Steps_Running3.jpg (878 KB, 1553x1542) Image search: [Google]
4Steps_Running3.jpg
878 KB, 1553x1542
>>36451019
I did c25k and it worked for me. I stalled a bit. Kept at week 4 or 5 longer than I should have but it did help build me up.

Warm up and cool down a bit. Just walk 5 minutes before starting at a fast pace, walk before completely ending, stretch after. Not necessary but for me it helped keep me from getting nauseous. Keep good form, pic related. Decent shoes.

All this isn't gonna stop it from sucking ass. But eventually you find yourself able to run longer/farther than you ever thought you could and think "hey maybe I'm not a piece of complete shit".

Music, podcasts, audiobooks are all good for distracting you.

Also maybe a dog. I know my dogbro motivated the hell out of me. Didn't judge my fat ass. In fact when I threw up the first couple times he just tried to eat it. Always excited to be out. Wants me to run faster but ok if I have to walk. Now whines if I don't run cause he expects that shit.
>>
>>36451526
not op. i currently have pain in my arches after a while. im doing stretches and shit and it seems to be getting better. if i start running (on a dirt path in the park) will i just injure my feet worse? i plan to take it slow. will it maybe build up my muscles and help with my pain? thoughts?
>>
>>36452635

why would you run on dirt
>>
>>36453107
i dont know why they dont put down gravel or whatever
>>
>>36452635
How are you landing on your feet when you run? Might be bad form.

I recommend you go on ellipticals while you get your treadmill foot sorted out - trail running, in my opinion, sucks. Hike them instead.
>>
>>36451019
I started about 12 months ago and I'd strongly recommend it. Like many people here, I was a fat lazy slob before and now I'm pretty fit. The first few times will suck ass, but you will be surprised how quickly your body adapts. It took me a good hour to stop feeling like I was dying when I first started, but after around two weeks, I could more or less recover in the ten minute walk home. Once you get to that point, it's pretty much just a matter of pushing yourself a little bit further each time.

Just keep in mind that it will never get 'easy'. If you only run for 20 minutes at a time, that's what your body will adapt to; it won't develop excess cardiovascular capacity. This why it's important to push yourself if you want to make progress. Not too much, just a little bit. Maybe add on an extra five minutes or so every fortnight if you're feeling up to it.

Also, don't be a pussy and give up. Every time you don't go, you will feel like a piece of shit.
>>
desu anyone in this thread is probably a fatty and there's nothing wrong with being overweight and wanting to start running, but you should look into biking or other forms of cardio first.
All of those people you hear about having knee troubles from running when they were young were probably fat. It makes a huge difference
>>
I need to get to a 10:47 second 1.5 mile. I'm ~6'2 ~185 ~22% bf. I can't currently run for a mile, but I'm starting c25k tommorrow.
I used to run like a 8:30 mile a couple of years ago, how long do you guys think it will take to get to 10:47 1.5 mile? I'll be cutting for at least a couple of months.
>>
>>36453130
im not running right now. i ran a little bit last year, and i do/did a lot of walking and hiking, but i hurt my foot at some point over the winter and my arch starts to hurt after a little bit. i dont know what i did or how to make it stop. i just keep doing stretches and shit and hoping it will go away on its own. im not about to stop going on walks and shit so if its not better by the summer ill probably end up doing permanent damage to my foot.
>>
>>36453168
Fuck it's going to take like half a fucking year isn't it
>>
>>36453168
>>36453241

if you work out and get big muscles then stop for 2 years then start working out again you will get to 90% of where you were size wise when you stopped in about a month, it's crazy

running is not like that
>>
>>36451019
on my fourth week now, I found that listening to audio books helps a lot. Will actually move my focus off how much I hate running
>>
>>36453315
So what's the verdict? As a mostly sedentary 18 year old, how long would it take to get to 10:47 1.5 mile? If I were to run a mile right now (including some walking) I could probably push out 10 minutes, maybe 10:30
I also plan to cut about 20 pounds over the next several months, don't know if that will help or hurt me
>>
>>36453337
literally you can walk a mile in ten minutes.
>>
>>36453349
So do you think I'm over stressing this? I'm going to try and time my mile tomorrow and see what I'm at because I have literally no idea. I just know that the sooner I am able to run a 10:47 1.5 mile the sooner I can move on with my life
>>
>>36453332

how can you listen to an audio book when you are running for 60 seconds then stopping then trying not to puke then running again etc...

i could not pay attention to a book like that
>>
>>36453337

if you can run a mile in 10 mins right now getting to 1.5 in the same time as a young man will not take long

maybe a few weeks max
>>
>>36451019
If I was to get my sorry ass off the bench I could run 20 and have a fever in the next day. It's all about mentality.
>>
>>36453378
>the sooner I am able to run a 10:47 1.5 mile the sooner I can move on with my life

why

what are you focused on this time and distance (which is really not much past what a moderately active person could do even if they didn't "run" as a hobby)
>>
>>36453399
Wait really? What fuck? Okay, I'm feeling more optimistic about this shit
>>
>>36453378
dude shut up about your fucking 10:47 1.5 mile run.
you can literally walk a mile in ten minutes. i know because ive done it. its fast walking, not leisurely walking.
>>
>>36453410

that's a 7min per mile pace for 10 mins

i have seen untrained kids in high school run 7 min miles for fitness tests
>>
>>36451691
This

Its boring as hell. I prefer stuff that is fun like tennis or basketball for cardio.
>>
>>36453399
I want to join the Air Force, and for the job I want I need to pass a fitness test with a minimum 1.5 mile time of 10:47.
>>
>>36453415
Sorry man, it's late and I'm just being autistic and stressing about shit I shouldn't be.
>>
>>36453426

how random

how long do you have before you have to do it?

the main issue will be pacing, if you start off too fast as an untrained person you could gas yourself and come in slower than the needed time, you need to find the pace to do it in 10mins flat and run it steady

this is a basic fitness test as in "is this person obese or disabled" fitness test, yes you should train for it but it's not a big deal
>>
>>36453439
That time is only the minimum, I'll have to be in much better shape than that to actually get through the pipeline that I want. I can't actually swear in at MEPS and choose this job until I pass this test, so the sooner I can pass it the sooner I can get my AF career going.

For pacing, should I run at a 10 min pace and when I start to lose my pace stop?
>>
>>36453452

well the absolute best thing you could do for pacing is have an experienced runner run a 7min per mile pace in front of you and then just keep up with him, I have heard some branches of the military allow this or even encourage it during fitness tests

otherwise just practice it a bunch till you get the feel, but on test day you will be nervous
>>
>>36453466
Awesome, thank you man
>>
>>36453485

good luck

ill try not to vote for anyone who wants to start pointless wars in the middle east so you don't have to bomb any children

it's the least i can do
>>
>>36451696
>Because /fit/ is a bunch of autistic meatheads who care more about gains than cardiovascular health. Do both, eat enough, and you'll be well off.

That^

Running is great, but you have to master it like every other skill.
I did C25k a few years ago and it helped me a lot. Was a great start, i went from not being able to run for 5 minutes to run a half marathon. C25k was the first step to this, so go ahead and try it.
But pay close attention to your running technique, bad running form is one of the main reasons most people have troubles with running itself.
Running is fun once you get used to it, good luck bro.
>>
C25K it brilliant.

I'm on Week 6. Can really feel yourself getting fitter and helps you lose weight if you're needing to.
>>
>>36453392
If 60 seconds of running makes you want to puke slow down a bit.

Also, if the experience is that intense you don't need books or music. It's only when it starts to become a grind
>>
File: 1361395397391.gif (168 KB, 267x120) Image search: [Google]
1361395397391.gif
168 KB, 267x120
This is now a running thread.

>tfw waking up, it's a glorious morning and the first thing you do when you get out of bed is smash out a short 5k run in 20 mins
>>
I've been doing C25K for about 2 weeks now.

I keep getting horrible cramps below the right side of my ribcage. Is this normal? Will it straighten itself out the more I run? And can I just run through it or can I hurt myself somehow?
>>
>>36454271
>I keep getting horrible cramps below the right side of my ribcage

A stitch?
>>
>>36454281
Never heard of that, but looking it up now that's exactly what it seems like.
>>
I started C25K 3 or 4 weeks ago and could barely run for a minute. I can now do 5k in 40 minutes and my time is still dropping.

I tried a couple of years ago in the summer outside and I failed after just 2 weeks and didn't really get anywhere. This time I tried on a treadmill and nailed it in less than a month. Looking back, the reason was that I naturally run much faster than I do on a treadmill and I was killing myself.

So I'd suggest either A. Finding a treadmill or B. Slowing down to a laughably slow rate while running.

This will help you run for longer and up your speed of progression.
>>
>jogging

goodbye gains
>>
>>36455195
>shitposting dishonest broscience garbage

goodbye brain
>>
>ran this morning
>fresh air feeling great
>collapse at home
>>
I want to do the couch to 5k thing, but my only running experience has been sprints and hurdles in high school track. I've only jogged a handful of times, so I really don't know anything about it.

Is there really a certain "form" to running? I've seen stuff about different foot strikes, but each one seems to have equal numbers of proponents. Additionally, a lot of the benefits claimed for certain running styles is that they're more efficient, but I don't want that because I want to run mainly to burn calories. Wouldn't more efficient be a negative in that case?
>>
>>36451019
make sure you have good shoes (don't run in your fucking vans) and proper form.
running is pretty simple, but doing it poorly can lead to joint pain in the long run.
>>
>>36457272
Yeah, it's a problem. Especially because different thoughts about foot strikes lead to different conclusions about which shoes to buy, so it can cost money to experiment.

For me, switching to a low drop shoe and a forefoot strike solved all of my lower leg problems almost instantly. Yet I've read sports medicine people online say a significant portion of the injuries they see are calf and achilles problems in people switching to low drop shoes.

Also, don't worry about being too efficient. If you aren't challenged by your run you can always go farther or faster.
>>
I started C25K in January, and I just did my first charity 5k today, shit feels amazing.
After the first few weeks of suffering you start to feel it. It helps having nice terrain to run through, I have a park 5 minutes down the street from me with multiple routes, woods etc, once you get a good rhythm, it's almost like meditation.
>>
Lots of good advice in this thread. I would also recommend finding a running partner. Preferably someone around your pace or maybe a tad faster. Keeps you accountable
>>
>>36451019
It gets much much easier pretty fast.

I took me 1 or 2 months to get pretty fit. In 4 months I could run 15 km easily. Best feeling in the world

>why are there no run threads on fit

Cause running is the exact opposite of lifting

For example

>lifting beginners recover quickly can push out pr's everyday
>running beginners recover more slower and should not push too much too fast (this is nr 1 cause of injury)

In my books running is more satisfying that lifting, especially once you sign up for a few races.
>>
>>36457272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyjyewP6_i8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRkeBVMQSgg

Enjoy

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Form
>>
>>36457272
and no

More efficient means you can run longer and faster. Burning more calories in the end

The difference between 30 minutes 5 k and 40 min 5k in callories is negligible and lower than you would burn running 7k in 40 minutes
>>
>>36451019
I got into running by experimenting myself and let me tell you these beginner programs are bullshit. You don't need someone to tell you when or how long to run. Your body will handle that.

What you need is someone to tell you *how* to run because I can guarantee your form will be shit.

I was heel striking, over striding and hunching over in the beginning and even injured myself two times. It's now half a year later since I started and I run several miles every other day without becoming exhausted.

At first be conscious about your form and you'll ease into it just fine. Don't worry about time or distance.
>>
>>36457406
Shit, there are different kinds of shoes too? All I have are some random cross trainers I use to warm up for sprints, are those not good enough?

>>36457884
>>36457931
Thanks man, I'll check out the links.
>>
File: imagesB28OW0US.jpg (7 KB, 146x119) Image search: [Google]
imagesB28OW0US.jpg
7 KB, 146x119
I once ran a marathon after a night drinking in York.

I had to take a shit in a bush and vomitted everywhere a few times but it is possible.
>>
>>36451691
Wheres that? Looks cool mate
>>
>>36458806
If your shoes work they work. If you get shin splints or joint or tendon pain then a change of shoes might fix things.
>>
>>36451691
it gets so much easier when you drop those pounds

I ran 10 k in 1 hour and 5 minutes at 250 pounds

I ran a 10 k in 55 min at 200 pounds during one of my slow runs.

I then raced a 10k in 50 minutes, official race
>>
C25K is a good program to get into running. It is mostly training for your mind to convince yourself you can run.
>>
File: 1456229526302.jpg (25 KB, 416x304) Image search: [Google]
1456229526302.jpg
25 KB, 416x304
outside >>>> treadmill

i live in a rural area, and it's the greatest feeling running along canals and fields in the cool mornings while the sun is rising. currently taking a break from running to work on my rowing skill tho

>>36458821
you must have been pretty fit to be able to do this
>>
>>36458962
>C25K is a good program to get into running. It is mostly training for your mind to convince yourself you can run.

i literally think "i can't run"

and feel if someone tells me i can if if follow their plan, it's a scam because i inherently can't run
>>
>>36458821
>I once ran a marathon after a night drinking in York.
>>36458970
>you must have been pretty fit to be able to do this

in the 1800s men would drink red wine while running marathons the way guys drink water/gattoraid now handed to them by people on the sidelines

they thought for some reason it made you faster
>>
>>36459100
once ran a 10k marathon drunk as balls, fell, slammed my face and hands into concrete, and kept running till completed then ran to a friends party and drank more. Woke up the next day face with dried blood and bruised along chin to right eye, with my left hand swollen and broken and overall knees/hands cut up.

Your body just doesn't give a fuck about endurance limits or pain when drunk enough.
>>
Why does everyone that's not obese need some kind of specialized program in order to run for distance?

Before I started running, I couldn't remember the last time I ran except for required tests in high school. I ran a mile on a given Sunday, and added a mile for every week. Now I'm on week six and I've ran a 10K. Couch to 5K holds your hand all the way through as if you don't know how to put one foot in front of the other, and I think it's a waste of time.
>>
File: 1452765013417.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452765013417.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>>36459176
>a 10k marathon

>>36459229
maybe because it's optimal and progress is regulated, as opposed to too fast or too slow
>>
File: 1451279722408.jpg (27 KB, 489x499) Image search: [Google]
1451279722408.jpg
27 KB, 489x499
>>36459229
I agree
Honestly going from 0 running activity to a 10K or more isn't rocket science at all, you just run 4 times a week and try to do more each time.
I tried to do this once when I was totally unfit (but not fat) and their pacing was really slow as fuck, all of this to be able to run 5K in 30 mins.... wtf
>>
File: 1410822371599.png (304 KB, 1148x1022) Image search: [Google]
1410822371599.png
304 KB, 1148x1022
I just beat my 10K record: 49mins:40secs
any tips on what goals I should have next?
I'm honestly not that interested yet in running longer distances, because it seems I'd need to really increase my km count per week (right now I must run 20k a week max)
>>
>>36460006
It depends. Serious 10k runners do a lot more than 20k a week.

I mean 5k competite runners do about 30-40km per week.
>>
>>36460156
fuck I meant I *just* run 20k max
but I'm not that interested in running more, even though I enjoy it I prefer focusing on lifting
>>
>>36460181
have you ran a half yet?
>>
>>36460220
nope I think my max distance ever is 16 km or so but that was last summer
>>
>>36460253
You could try and do one as is quite a different race than a 10k and new factors such as nutrition enter the play.

If not you can always focus on getting your 5k down and if you don't care about competing just run casually. Get into trail running, find new routes and all that stuff. They key is getting diverse. It's true that you can't really improve both lifting and running up to a point and usually you should focus on one and try to maintain the other. Anyway you are already fitter than 99% of /fit/

I mean I love to run 15 km but I would hate if I would ran them on a straight road in the middle of nowhere. I like to go places and see stuff and I like trying new routes.
>>
>>36459100
i read about this guy a long time ago, who was born and raised in greece as a farmer. during ww2, he ran some ridiculous distance multiple times a day between different allied posts transferring messages, and at every post he'd just take a shot of whiskey and then run again

i dont remember his name, but he seemed pretty cool desu
>>
>>36451019
I haven't done the couch to 5k workout, but I do run a lot and I have ran over 5k.

I started by running a mile every day of the week. This was after I had not done any physical activity in over a year. I wasn't fat, but I was very very out of shape and starting to get a gut.

You dont need to run the mile fast. Just run it as quickly as possible without hurting yourself, and no stopping until you're done.

I'd suggest only running 4 days out of the week, taking a day in between each run though. After I stated to ramp up how much I ran, my legs wouldnt have enough time to heal and I stopped making any running gains.

Its all a mind game. The worst battle you'll have to fight is against yourself saying that you can't do it. You CAN do it and you WILL do it, believe in yourself. I've never ran with music, but I can see how that would definitely help.
>>
>>36461583
Also running too much without enough time for your legs recover can cause injury. A few times I had to stop running for a week because my calves were hurting so much that I couldnt run. Take it slow.

Like other anons have said, running sucks at first. I was sucking air and feeling like shit the entire day at first. After a couple weeks, I could run and feel great the rest of the day. Once your body gets accustomed to running consistently, you won't be (as) sore. Obviously, if you constantly push yourself, you will still be sore, but your recovery time is much shorter.
>>
>>36459229
This

Just do cardio or run whenever you can and make sure to push yourself (without killing yourself).
>>
Any tips on running with a poorly healed broken big toe? I broke it when I was a kid, now when I run it hurts for at least 2-3 days, not my legs mind you, just the one toe.
>>
>>36461780

at the joint or in the middle of the bone?

if it's the joint you're probably fucked, if it's the straight bone a doctor could break it and reset it

go see a doctor though, that's the kind of shit that will bother you for the rest of your life and get worse when you are old
>>
>>36461984
Shit, would it be bad if just push through the pain on a long term basis? I'm attempting to enlist in the army and would hate to be DQed due to a fucking toe.
>>
>>36461984
Oh and it's at the joint, the pain isn't unbearable just quite unpleasant
>>
>>36458833
Bristol, England.

>>36458930
If I ever drop enough weight for it to be pleasurable, I'll probably start again. I actually enjoy cardio. But when you're really obese, other forms of cardio are far more rewarding, at least for me.
>>
>>36462122
>>36462144
just go to a doctor and find out. Maybe they just cut it off and you're done with that pain for the rest of your life.
>>
>>36462122
>Shit, would it be bad if just push through the pain on a long term basis? I'm attempting to enlist in the army and would hate to be DQed due to a fucking toe.

I have always been told soreness is OK to push through but actual pain is not

pain is your body telling you to stop and that something is wrong

you really should see a doctor, maybe he could fuse the joint or something, i don't know
>>
So one thing i never got about these programs is why they exist. What am i missing? Cant you just run your 5k in a slow, comfortable pace? Why is there walking, why not just run a little slower?
>>
>>36462419
As a former fatty that used this it helps because it just breaks shit down. When you've never exercised before everything seems to damn hard and you don't know shit. I know the first time I tried running I ran maybe a mile and then stopped and just vomited everywhere. Wasn't even running fast or especially hard. I just sucked that bad. Doing c25k slowed it down for me and helped me build myself up to running cause I was too fat/weak to do basic shit.

It's like those pushup routines. Where a person starts doing pushups along a wall, then box pushups, then knee, finally normal pushups. If you're about average strength you think "wtf who needs a routine just do some pushups till you can't anymore" but some people are so weak they can't do one single pushup.
>>
>>36462517
Jeez, makes sense. I thought it was all about that pace.
>>
>>36451155
you just have to suck it up and take the beating op. running sucks at first but eventually you will appreciate the burn as you know it's an indication that your body will improve ultimately. no one naturally enjoys running
>>
Does anyone know a playlist or something I could make so I don't have to constantly check my phone every 60 and 90 seconds
>>
>>36463108
There's an app. Or you can get a $20 interval watch.
>>
>>36451047
like 75% right. Just pop in you're music and get gone. I'd defiantly only run for a comfortable distance during the first 3 months or so. I've dealt with shin splints and they suck. Run on the balls of your feet and increase distance slowly at first.
>>
>>36453452
Do you have a track near you? Set a target pace and start doing 400 & 800 repeats.. How long do you have? If you are in decent shape this shouldn't be hard... Just progress the way you would with weights, maybe target ~20-30 miles a week... Also maybe build a mini-base... Just Google plans to improve mile or 3200 times and do something similar
>>
How do I avoid getting a stitch in my side?

Getting ready for boot camp, have to run 1.5 miles in 13:30. That's about 16 laps at my gym's track.

I started getting tired after 2 or 3 laps. Started getting a stitch about 5 laps in. Had to walk from lap 6 to about lap 12 because my side was fucking devastated.

pls help
>>
>>36463591
Just do as much as you can whenever you can and you will get improve over time
>>
>>36463601
Over how much time, tho

I have 7 weeks til I ship out.

Will C25k be good enough to get me in halfway decent shape, or should I do more?
>>
>>36463637
Assuming you have the time, you should try doing cardio on your off days. Just push yourself on the elliptical or something as much as you can.
>>
>>36454395

What speed do you tend to run at on your treadmill? Or what speed were you running at during the first week or so?

I only ask because I tried C25K a while back outdoors and did the same as you, then when I tried it on a treadmill I couldn't tell if I was running too slow for it to be worth it. Either that or I was turning the speed up too much and gassing myself.
>>
>>36451019
I did a similar plan when I was recovering from a broken tibia which happened when I was already fat and resulted in me becoming really overweight and the muscles in my legs to atrophy. A plan ain't worth shit if you ain't motivated. Once you get to the stage where you've developed a natural stride and your body adjusts to regular exercise than your distances and times will shoot up and after a fair while you'll actually start to enjoy cardio, just like a lot of the others on this board enjoy the gym. Also
>can only run 60 seconds without pain
Suck it up. It hurts. Fix your running form and push through it. I went through the same thing but with excruciating post injury/surgery pain in my knee and quads.
>>
Not to hijack OPs thread, but should you just stop running whenever you feel like you need to stop?

I've never been out of shape until recently and it's a completely new experience.
>>
>>36463857
Not really no, If you are legitimately struggling to breath properly, are experiencing joint pain or if there's too much pain and it's not muscle burn then yeah. If it's just muscle burn, fatigue or heaving breath then no.
>>
running is a weird thing, they say our ancestors ran down deer and our ability to hike and run long distances is a big part of why we became so successful as a species , that's why it's so good for our overall health, it's something we were meant to do regularly

but if that is the case why do we hate it so much? why is it so painful and hard to make yourself do?

it should be like fucking and eating, something we love to do

do birds hate to fly?
>>
>>36451155
Run slower. A nice slow jog to start with, if your really out of shape it might be only a little faster than a fast walk. Speed comes with time.
>>
>>36464593
The only time I hate running is actually during running. Because before the run I always get pretty amped up thinking about it and then after the run I get a pretty nice boost too.
>>
>>36464593
You have to have an end goal that'll give you that satisfaction. But man if you can get that goal after enduring a lot of tedious bullshit that euphoria you feel is sex levels amazing.
>>
>>36453432
>>36453415
Walk a mile in 10 minutes maybe, but you cant do that for a 1.5. I'm assuming military for this weird goal - best advice i could give is run everyday and then once a week push yourself all out for the mile and a half - a big part of the test is pacing. I see people start off strong as fuck but by the fourth or fifth lap im passing them with stride. Don't let people passing you in the beginning make you feel down, just watch your pace and get it done. It's a lot easier to run 6 1.40 laps than it is to run 4 1.20 laps and then 2 1.50 or even 2.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.