[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Fit/ Book Club
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 25
File: 1450647377-emma-watson.jpg (87 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
1450647377-emma-watson.jpg
87 KB, 570x570
How have you been making your brain gains this week /fit/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF6VKmMVWEc
>>
Beyond Good and Evil
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Art of the Deal
>>
>>36446283
Three in one week? You're making all kinds of gains.
>>
File: 20160319_205834.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160319_205834.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>36446178
Just finished pic related
>>
>>36446937
Brain confusion brah.
>>
File: test (3).png (990 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
test (3).png
990 KB, 1280x720
>>36446178
People often don't realize that the hard part is choosing which book is good to read, not the reading itself.
>>
Guns, Germs, and Steel
Harry Potter 1-7
>>
I was reading true at first light by Ernest Hemingway

It's good, I'd recommended it

Right now I'm reading the shining
>>
I am legend
The forever war

I am legend was a pretty shallow read but it was good anyway.
I thought the forever war was going to be a faggy antithesis to starship troopers but it was pretty based tbqh
Any /scifi/ bros in here?
>>
>>36448130
>reddit
>>
I'm currently on 3 books
1. Spice and Wolf LN Volume 6
2. The Adolescent by Fyodor Dostoesvky
3. The Ancient Maya: 8th Edition

Needless to say, I hav
>>
Yukio Mishima's Thirst for Love.

It's not a good Mishima novel though.
>>
This week 4 Chekhov's collections. 20 books this year. Right now reading Žižeks Lacrimae rerum and for the next week I took Gulag Archipelago part I by fuck his name, Kafka´s In the Penal Colony, som short stories I think by Egon Bondy
>>
>>36448130
>Guns, Germs, and Steel
Everything in that book is false.
>>
Things fall apart by big chinua himself
>>
>>36446178
Total recall by arnold, wonderful read even if you don't like lifting
>>
>>36449603
How do I filter on a phone?
>>
>>36446178
IJ
>>
>>36449603
Go away. Your trip should be banned for being perpetually off-topic. When was the last time you even posted anything vaguely fitness related? Go away and don't come back. Trips are trash and you're trash too, not because you have specific political views or idealisms, but because you are a special brand of annoying and are either deluded so much you think you can change the world by posting on a Vietnamese cartoon image board or spending hours upon hours doing an elaborate troll, both of which are pathetic. Not to mention you're breaking the rules.

M O D S M O D S
O
D
S
M
O
D
S
>>
Self-Compassion - by Kristin Neff
>>
Read recently (Last month or so)
100 Years of Solitude by G.G.Marquez
Anna Karenina by F.Dostoevskij
Othello by W.Shakespeare
GOAT books honestly, would recommend
>>
>>36448425

I like Forever War,could read it over and over again. Also read The Demolished Man and The Stars my Destination (Tiger!Tiger!), both by Alfred Bester. Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys is also pretty nice. ANd read Hyperion Chant
>>
I've always wanted to write a /fit/ book but I have shitty grammar and vocabulary
>>
>>36449726
>Anna Karenina
>dosto

um.
>>
>>36449752
Shit,Tolstoj of course, kek
To my excuse, it's 1am and I'm back from a night of drinking
>>
The Running Man by Stephen King
>>
A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Practice of Concern by John Traphagan

>>36449603
>Le objective taste may may

Though I will agree that Jared Diamond is an absolute joke, especially within the anthropological community.
>>
Just finished Locke Lamora, holy shit it was so good
>>
/fit/ /lit/ dual national monitoring this thread.

top recommendation: et tu, babe by mark leyner - essentially a combination of the navy seal and my name is john copypastas with schwarzenegger film-level insanity.

i'll post a few short story collections later tonight if anyone's interested.
>>
Anything by Lena Dunham is worth the read
>>
>>36446178

I typically read two books at a time. One is a classic, I've been on a binge of epic poems lately and the other is something political or philosophically related.

Right now, I'm reading The Divine Comedy and Atlas Shrugged since I never read it in high school like most fags. That should hold me off for at least a month or two, then I'm going to start working on Human Action by Mises and probably Aeneid.
>>
Currently reading:

Rebel Buddha by Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche
Shadow Men by Anthony Napoleon
The Truth by Neil Strauss
No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert Glover

The Truth is highly entertaining. The story, whether its true or not, is fun to read. Would recommend any of these books.

I also just finished The Type Z Guide to Success, Tribes, 48 Laws of Power, and Kitchen Confidential.
>>
>not reading men without women by Hemingway

Its like you don't even want gains.
Also south of the border west of the sun is fantastic for any bros recently single and lost.
At the moment reading heart of darkness pretty good tbqh famil
>>
>>36449867
Please do!
>>
>>36446178
Why do people care what this twat emma watson thinks? She played a fucking wizard in a children's movie. Plus she's a fucking feminist.
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 944x629) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 944x629
>>36449982
Just wrote a couple papers on heart of darkness for a class. Good shit with Hemingway, didn't look through but anything by Mishima is perfection
>>
>>36449850
>posting a picture of a shit edition
>>
>>36449631
Can confirm. How can one man be so based?
>>
>>36450039

If you're a successful woman who leans to the left of the political spectrum in today's society, you are essentially a goddess among mortals that should be respected and revered by all. Nothing you say or do can be construed as wrong and anyone who even hints that you could possibly be incorrect is immediately branded as a misogynist.
>>
>>36444444
>>
>>36446178
M A N H A N D S
A
N

H
A
N
D
S
>>
>>36449917
Nice. I just started Atlas Shrugged. I hope that it lives up to the hype.
>>
File: 9780140449334.jpg (914 KB, 1460x2244) Image search: [Google]
9780140449334.jpg
914 KB, 1460x2244
Would recommend to anyone who feels lost. Things started to make much more sense and I got my life back on track after reading this.
>>
>>36450218
How did it help you personally if you dont mind me asking?
>>
>>36450171

Not incredibly far into it, but I'm definitely enjoying it. I read The Fountainhead and I really like Rand's writing style. I'm not exactly an Objectivist, but I do enjoy her perspective. Rand gets a lot of shit from the left these days, but honestly, I get the feeling that most people that insult Rand so heavily really haven't actually taken the time to read anything she wrote.
>>
>>36450284
>>36450171
back to your containment board, faggots.
>>
>>36450307

k
>>
>>36446937
Streetcar can be read in an hour. I did it for my acting class last semester. It's not a difficult piece.
>tfw you're almost as beta as mitch
>>
Currently reading this.
>>
File: thegiver.jpg (59 KB, 784x438) Image search: [Google]
thegiver.jpg
59 KB, 784x438
Read this throughout march because I never payed attention or actually read it in elementary school.
>>
File: 1422305002353.jpg (325 KB, 1383x1600) Image search: [Google]
1422305002353.jpg
325 KB, 1383x1600
>>36450258
Learned to not sweat the small stuff. That I am a part of nature and I have a role to play just like any part. That I will die eventually and I don't want to die with regret.
>>
>>36450384
Thank you very much brah.
>>
>>36449917
>>36450171
>>36450284
Where the fuck did these children came from?
>>
>>36450078

HS senior detected. From where?
>>
>>36446178
Currently reading:
Sophocles' Theban Plays
Hegel's Philosophy of History
Einstein's Relativity
Maudlin's Philosophy of Physics: Space and Time
And doing quantum mechanics/thermodynamics/statistical mechanics/optics problems and revision daily

Did I win the thread?
>>
I got a problem brehs i've been reading 1Q84, but i recently can't seem too pick it back up or any book in particular.
>>
>>36450492
>lying this hard to impress people on a cambodian hair braiding forum
>>
>>36450110
fuck that.
>>
>>36446283

never read the art of the deal, but i've read the other two... beyond good and evil is better than a streetcar named desire

>>36446178

i've been reading journey to the end of the night...
>>
>>36446178
Read the Odyssey for a couple hours yesterday.

Odysseus just got back home and is about to deal with the suitors.
>Dis gonna be good.
>>
>>36450492
You're doing quantum mechanics out of what book? Mind if I ask you a few questions to see if you're lying?
>>
>>36446178
She reminds me of my 9/10 Audrey Hepburn
>>
>>36450654
Athena is pretty much the biggest bro
>>
File: distantmirror.jpg (26 KB, 232x346) Image search: [Google]
distantmirror.jpg
26 KB, 232x346
Reading this in between school shit.
>>
I haven't read a book in about 3 years. Everything is either airport pulp novel trash or pseudo-intellectual masturbatory material.
>>
>>36450611
It's obviously better from an intellectual standpoint. A Streetcar... was more of a source of entertainment for me before I went to bed.

I'm currently reading Monkey Business, a very informative book. It's about the investment banking world.
>>
>>36446178
listening to the nigga from the youtube video you linked to is painful af, lots of "um", makes a stop every 3 seconds probably because he is running out of breath, doesnt get to the point in every single sentence cuz he needs to add worthless blabbering
>>
>>36446178
Walden
Stole an anthology of Mark Twain
BE FRUGAL and do not let SCHOOL GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR EDUCATION most lessons are LEARNED THRU PAIN
>>
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 123x92) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 123x92
>>36450039
>TFW you'll be playing a wizard in real life in 6 years
>>
>>36450774
you sure showed us, smart guy.
>>
>>36450497
>you
>top kekking at anyone's life

Pick one
>>
>>36450434
What specifically would be childish about reading and appreciating a classic novel that represents a 20th century political theory?
>>
>>36450434
>>36451522

Just to add more to my point, I'm not an existentialist or absurdist, but I sure as hell can appreciate the works of Sartre and Camus. You don't have to agree with absolutely everything that you read, but it takes a hell of a lot more maturity to at least entertain different perspectives. I would argue that if you jut reject Ayn Rand outright just because you might not agree with everything she had to say, then mentally, you're the child, not me.
>>
>>36450865
other than the ums, hes fairly concise. he just cant find the words he wants to use smoothly in speech
>>
File: jj.jpg (177 KB, 900x920) Image search: [Google]
jj.jpg
177 KB, 900x920
>>36449850
Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek!
>>
>>36451605
im not sure what you mean by "appreciate". i'll accept that those philospher authors had their place in the development of thought in history, but as individual artists i dont find their works be of any particular value
>>
File: 200px-Full_Dark,_No_Stars.jpg (10 KB, 200x305) Image search: [Google]
200px-Full_Dark,_No_Stars.jpg
10 KB, 200x305
>>36447976
>Stephen King

My nigga
>>
Reading just makes you even more autist, just watch tv, sports and shit.

t. someone who regreted reading too much and had no social life

I would be like Don Quixote by now if i kept reading as many books as i didi when i was younger
>>
>>36450690
Well I'm doing my professor's problem sets, but I've got Binney & Skinner and Chandrasekhar's books. And no, I really cannot be bothered to take pictures.
>>
>>36450797

oh i just thought it was a better read in general... i preferred the glass menagerie to streetcar as far as tenessee williams plays go, but i'm not a huge fan of reading plays (i like oscar wilde's plays though) so if you've never read that one you might appreciate it

i have a hard time with business books, concentration and whatnot, which is weird cuz i can read darwin's plant books no problem and those are dry as fuck...
>>
what does filtering mean
>>
>internet was out for the past 2 days due to provider fucking up
>spend 2 days reading instead of shitposting and watching youtube lifting channels
Made some good progress into
>The lies of Locke Lamora
>East of Eden
>Goebbels biography by Peter Longerich
And all of it is so fucking good. i should spent less time here and more time reading desu.
>>
File: vagabond-4730949.jpg (263 KB, 800x1222) Image search: [Google]
vagabond-4730949.jpg
263 KB, 800x1222
>>36446178
Reading The Unfettered Mind by Takuan Soho. Also reading the Kyudo Manual: Principles of Shooting (I am currently learning).

Re-reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius and the Handbook of Epictetus, because they are worth reading, again and again.
>>
>>36453860

sounds like someone doesn't know how to meet cute chicks in bookstores...
>>
>>36454831
h-how do you do this?
>>
>>36454851

by talking to them, the good thing about a place like a book store is there's conversation starters everywhere

it helps that i write and play guitar too though... cute bookstore chicks love that shit
>>
reading fiction doesn't make you smarter.
>>
>>36455023

I read fiction for entertainment though
>>
Reading about breeding horses
>>
>>36455023
Nor does reading non-fiction. Intelligence and knowledge are two separate things, anon.
>>
>>36450774
I bet you watch tv though.
>>
>Ancient Greece: From Prehistoric to Hellenistic Times by Thomas Martin

Very fun read if you're into history.

Moved onto
>Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert Pirsig

Sorta boring, but I'll finish it off.

Next will be
>Peace and War by Joe Haldeman, aka The Forever War trilogy

I wanted to read that first before I move onto Starship Troopers.
>>
>>36455023

it gives you more topics to speak about, broadens your vocabulary, you learn appreciation for an art form, it can promote creativity, it can give you more of an insight into people and life in other places (read any a hubert selby's junior's books and you get a really good idea of life in brooklyn for example), it exposes you to other people's views of their culture (reading bridge over the river kwai was interesting even though i didn't like the book, mostly just cuz i'm american and growing up with american war movies it was weird to see another take on a war story written by someone from another country... or almost transparent blue which was similar to less than zero in a lot of ways, but rather than being american it was japanese so certain things were shown differently)

it's not about knowing more facts... it's about exposing yourself to other perspectives, ways of thinking, and art...

and disregarding all of that it's also about entertainment and enjoyment... nothing wrong with entertainment just for the sake of it, though with that comes an opportunity for conversation... so, it's valuable in that sense...

nonfiction is good in other ways, and really reading both is better than only reading one...

i guess it's subjective whether or not you think any of that shit has any value, but whatever

anyway... people don't really get any smarter than they are... they get less ignorant, wiser, more knowledgeable etc but they don't get any smarter...
>>
>>36455023

It forces the brain to learn new vocabulary, develop comprehension and create entire worlds instantaneously based on a few words on a page. It's one of the most beneficial things you can do to keep your brain strong and healthy.

It is proven to improve cognitive function, regardless of whether it's fiction or not.
>>
>>36455342

starship troopers is just alright... it's a little dry and politic heavy (which you may or may not appreciate), but it's fairly well written and interesting enough

i would read another one of heinlein's books, but i haven't wanted to so badly that i have yet and it's been years since i read it

nothing about it stood out enough for me to remember it well either come to think of it, but read it anyway

i'd rather watch the movie personally cuz it's great mindless entertainment and the chick who plays dizzy is hot
>>
The book of five rings
Ham on rye
River of doubt
>>
>>36446178
I used to read a lot of /lit/ tier stuff, classics and allegorical books and "important" nooks and the like. Now I still read a lot, but I typically read pretty simplistic genre fiction, horror and suspense novels, or capital C Classics, as in ancient history and archaeology textbooks and non fiction. Reading is fun and good for you, but don't get sucked into the elitism that follows some young people who read a lot.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-08-18-38-22.png (914 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-08-18-38-22.png
914 KB, 720x1280
>>
File: images[1].jpg (45 KB, 439x720) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
45 KB, 439x720
>>36446178
>Art Of The Deal by Donald J Trump
This is actually a great book, and being as I do sales, it is a perfect read. Also, knowing more about our future Commander In Chief seems handy.
>>
>>36455594
>Conan the Barbarian by REH
Good taste anon
>>
Do you guys read from concrete books or from a pdf in to your phone or something?
>>
>>36449683
>literally using a trip
>>
>>36455602
Does it mention the part where he let's multiple businesses go into bankruptcy
>>
>>36456001
It was still a good business strategy to sink those companies anon. Don't believe the memes. Trump is a brilliant businessman and he is smart as fuck. He's playing the american media and the internet like a goddamn fiddle. But he probably won't win the election.
>>
>>36456001
Intro to american business 101:

You are not the business. Pay yourself in monies instead of stock. Give yourself out rageous titles/experience for your resume while on the job and pay yourself what you want to make. Burn through venture capital, loans and whatever amount of other people's money you can get, learn the industry, oversell how good you are doing right up until you go public/sell the company, whatever.

Sell all your stocks on going public. Keep your salary high, give all the work to everyone else and begin planning your next move. Sell and/or bankrupt the company and start another one using your "experience" as another bullet point in your pitch when you ask for money the next time around.

You walk away from the bankruptcy having lost nothing (god help you if you put up your own money or got loans that were signed by you instead of your "company").

Meanwhile if you are a private citizen and not a corporation and you go bankrupt through medical expenses the banks will loot your shit when you declare bankruptcy.
>>
>>36456001
He's had over 400 business ventures and only let 5 go into bankruptcy. Thats a pretty good track record.
>>
File: greenpill reading list.jpg (3 MB, 900x4100) Image search: [Google]
greenpill reading list.jpg
3 MB, 900x4100
>>36455943
Kindle paperwhite is an awesome substitute for paperback, battery lasts weeks if not months, screen reads like paper and its smaller than most paperbacks. Add in highlighting, sourcing highlights from the internet, auto wiki on hard words/people if you are reading a dense or old book (who are these 20 different dead Europeans neitzche is talking about who were political figures?)

Amazon has rolling free kindle books, most of which are trash, and the internet is littered with PDFs and public domain books (see almost any book written pre 1950)

The books I've read this year:
Bruce Schneider, Data and Goliath
Mike Cernovich, Gorilla Mindset
Thomas Limoncelli, Time Management for System admins
Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
Kevin Mitnick, Ghost in the wires
Emotional Intelligence 3.0

That's not counting field specific tech shit, audiobooks/pod casts. Which I highly recommend to anyone with a long commute.

Also pic related, trying to sprinkle green pill shit through my reading for good vibes. Helps when the IT field is overwelmingly populated with assholes, anti social people and outrageous business demands. I couldn't get through the intro of an Evola book without being filled with fury.
>>
>>36456254

Thoughts on the gorilla mindset?
>>
File: book club.jpg (2 MB, 3296x2840) Image search: [Google]
book club.jpg
2 MB, 3296x2840
>>36456391
I like Mike, I like his blog.

My recommendations with that book are going to be skewed by who I'm recommending it to.

If you are new to self help, this is the best starting point I can think of because its a scatter shot of good ideas.

The book covers visualization strategies, eating healthy, working out, supps, how to deal with people, how to set your priorities, how to approach money and lifestyle.

It is a book that I think I will reread and I think I gained the most from the visualization parts. Most people will probably find a gem in their worth reading the whole book for buts its going to be a small gem. Ultimately self help books are old helpful if you change your habits. If you read this book and find one unexpected gem that changes your life it'll be worth it.

All of it is good advice. The problem is how shallow the book ends up being because it is such a broad topic. If you know you need cognitive behavioral therapy so that you can stop being depressed this book teaches you the first trick you'd learn then moves on. If you know you need to lose weight, this book tells you to count calories and drink water then moves on.

If you don't know what you are looking for (I didn't) you will find out what you are missing
>>
File: 1407313415782.jpg (36 KB, 606x540) Image search: [Google]
1407313415782.jpg
36 KB, 606x540
>>36446178
Yeah, as of now I'm reading Zbigniew Herbert's dramas and a book about Józef Czechowicz's poetry. I'm preparing for the finals of Polish language and literature Olympiad for high schoolers while making natty gains.
>mfw there's this one guy in my gym who's always reading between sets
>mfw sometimes he even goes to room next to weight room to use the gym owner's PC to shitpost

>mfw homegym masterrace
>>
>>36450218
I've read this and gained nothing from it. It was just a list of the most basic common thoughts possible when you exercise introspective thought in regards to your lifestyle. I guess at best it is a useful tool to read a few pages every morning to keep yourself in that frame of mind on a day to day basis.
>>
File: Untitled1.png (96 KB, 672x1546) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.png
96 KB, 672x1546
From a previous thread
>>
Finished reading Sniper On The Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross yesterday. Great read but fucking terrifying for nearly everyone involved.

Still can't get into Game of Thrones and it's put me off fantasy fiction for a long time now.

Found We Can Remember it for you Wholesale while cleaning the loft yesterday too so I'll finish that cos I thought I'd lost it.

Got about a dozen on the wishlist but trying to get through my list of games, TV shows, and films I've already got before I spend any more money.
>>
Dead Souls by Gogol.
The Meditations of Emperor MarcusAurelius.
Thus Spoke Zarathustra by the faggot Nietszche.
The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph.
>>
>>36446178
I've been reading Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem.
It gets a bit overly direct at times and I'm pretty sure it's not going to explore everything about its setting as well as it could but it's a fun read and a setting not quite like anything I remember ever seeing before (it's similar to The Abyss, but that came years if not decades later and I haven't actually read or watched it).
Not long before I started that I finished The Dead Zone, by Stephen King. That's a book that, despite being 400 pages, I'd say is light reading, if you get what I mean. It doesn't even go to dark places all that much, and it doesn't seem challenging to anything except the idea that ESP is fake, and it does a fairly bad job of challenging that outside of its own world. It takes a while to get going too and explores the implications of its setting about half as well as it could have. I will say though, it did this weird thing where it kind of spoiled itself, which annoyed me me until I realized how it ties into the psychic thing, then I thought it was clever.
>>
>>36453898
Yeah what is your prof teaching out of? Those are very unconventional texts. Chandrasekhar is a cosmologist so I don't think he's written a QM book. Anyways here are some questions:

1. Name 3 fundamental axioms of quantum mechanics.

2. What is Born's postulate?

3. Completely describe mathematically the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

4. Show that time translation is generated by the Hamiltonian via Schroedinger's equation.

Bonus question: Name 2 problems the Klein-Gordon equation has and their resolutions a la Dirac.

You should be able to answer the first 4 if you're doing quantum mechanics out of any respectable book.
>>
>>36458401
Oh I just started reading that Allerberger one, neat.
>>
File: 1010010000001101.jpg (703 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1010010000001101.jpg
703 KB, 1600x900
Finished "To kill a Mockingbird" on Monday, wasn't that bad, but I'm not really into American literature.

Still trying to finish Dante's Alighieri "Divine Comedy", I read it in it's original (can't get more pretentious than that) with English translation on side, so I've been studying it for few months now.

Also though about reading some trash literature, does anybody know if "Bird Box" is any good? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>36459982
>pretends to be /lit/
>uses it's instead of its in his post
Lol
>>
File: qt 3.14.jpg (398 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
qt 3.14.jpg
398 KB, 1600x900
>>36460015
Sorry, English isn't my native language (lel serrey fer bed engliš:DD).

Is it supposed to be "its", instead of "it's" ?
>>
>>36455015
Those imaginary bookstores full of chicks don´t exist in my country, asuming i could hold a conversation...and that i could spend hours waiting there for a pretty girl to arrive...
>>
File: 9768486.jpg (40 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
9768486.jpg
40 KB, 300x400
Finishing up 'American Gods' and 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman.

After this is done, I'll probably move on to the Bible or something.
>>
>>36459982
Since you just finished "To Kill a Mockingbird", read "Go Set a Watchmen" next. (It's the sequel)
>>
>>36460075
In that context, yes.
It's = It is
"Its" is used as the possessive form of "It"
>>
>>36448109
Its easy, if you cant decide between two or three, read all of them,
>>
>>36460143
>>36460143
THIS

the times i have seen a cute grill at a bookstore, she was sitting down reading something. or sitting down on her laptop at the starbucks within the store
>>
>>36460287
Oh, I see now. It's just sort of an automatic thing.
>>36460248
It didn't have best reviews so I was unsure if I should read it, but thanks man, I think I'll give it a go.
>>
>>36449726
Marquez indeed, read that in highschool. Was great.
>>
Probably 3/4 of the way through Kafka on the shore
>>
>>36458717
>That's a book that, despite being 400 pages, I'd say is light reading
because it's fucking stephen king
>>
>>36460330
That's a good way to waste time.
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 799x543) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 799x543
Just finished Egil's saga and Njal's saga. A great case study in taking no shit to prove your worth as a man
>>
>>36460468
well the only other thing of his I've read is The Stand, and that goes to much darker places and explores cause and effect more and just gets much more in depth about the setting and characters, even ones that are incidental (but it was the unabridged version which was fucking massive), so I was hoping the "le king of shit writing" meme was false
>>
>>36460143

who said they were full of them? opportunities exist though... cute girls go a lot of places
>>
>>36446283
BGE is not a bad Nee-chee to begin with. He has a few essays that while not so related to his main works/project are fairly straightforward and give you an idea of what you need to look at to understand his other works.
>>
just finished dr. bloodmary or how we got along after the bomb- a PKD novel.

I was going to go to barnes and noble and get something but I ran out of time this weekend but now I guess I will just read another pkd book, Now wait for last year.
>>
>>36446178
Just Finished: The Bhagavad Gita
Now Reading: Swann's Way
Next Up: The Master of Go

Audiobook:
Just Finished: The Foundations of Western Civilization part I
Listening to Right Now: The Clash of Civilizations
Next up: Foundations of Western Civilization part II
>>
>>36449726
Iago is the sickest cunt.
>>
Been reading Lonesome Dove.
>>
Reading ASOIAF GoT right now. Almost done. If the TV show is 10/10, the book is 20/10.
Pretty excited for book two.
Not excited for GRRM dying and not finishing the story.
>>
>>36449611
source?
>>
>>36464513
reddit
>>
>>36460287
I don't understand this shit mang.
I get why it's = it is but why does it possessive not require an apostrophe when every other word possessive does?
Zyzz's 1 rep max. Anon's shitpost.
Someone please. I need this answer in my life.
>>
>>36464709
English is full of exceptions like that.
>>
>>36464709
Because it's English.
>>
File: Muh_Calibre.png (114 KB, 1360x1316) Image search: [Google]
Muh_Calibre.png
114 KB, 1360x1316
What is on my kindle right now. Just finished a couple of library books and Ishiguro's Buried Giant
>>
>>36464513
He has been very much crushed by the fellows at MIT who wrote Why Nations Fail and by Fukuyama, both of whom now believe that institutions within human societies and the inclinations of the elite dictate success.
>>
Secrets of Consulting - Gerald Weinberg. Fun read with practical applications for any consulting/business improvement/project management work.

The Alchemist - Paul Coehlo. Was recommended highly by friends. Was promising then kinda fell flat at the end. Quick read tho so I wasn't mad.
>>
>>36460512
And smothering to death from fumes huddling in your bed while your house burns around you.
>>
>>36464904
I took that more as the influence of Christian conversion. Skarpheidon was a fucking bro though
>>
>>36464869
>Kindle
Fuck mang, I want a kindle so bad because it's convenient as fuck but I love the feel of reading a book too much. Life's hard.
>>
>>36464963
My wife got me it because we were in a tiny apartment and my books were stacking up everywhere.

Got a Touch, have had it for 5 years, couldnt be happier
>>
>>36449627
How's world lit, faggot?
>>
>>36464709
Didn't know either. Looked it up and it's pretty simple.

The "it" in "its" is a pronoun just like he, she, and them. For example, "It has 7 dogs." (Perhaps it is a kennel) Also, "he has 7 dogs." See how it is a pronoun?

Well, his, her, and their are all what are called possessive pronouns of he, she, and them/they. Possessive pronouns do not receive an apostrophe. "Its" is the possessive pronoun of "it" and so does not receive an apostrophe.

The confusion comes about, not because its has no apostrophe, but because it's does. It has nothing to do with exceptions to rules, one is a contraction and te other is a possessive pronoun. They just happen to be spelled the same - apart from the apostrophe.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUGvhySRnlc

Started reading How the Mind Works, by Steven Pinker, because i like psychology and Frank Yang recommended it, i gotta admit, its the best book i've ever fucking read on the subject, it may feel a lot more "scientific" for people who are used to some authors like Freud who spew hundreds of pseudo science stuff, I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about psychology, or even like biology, since it explains psychology from an evolutionary view.
>>
>>36465303
I've heard that too and I can buy it as the reasoning that's been followed, but it could make a lot more sense than it does. The word "its" isn't used like nouns and pronouns, it can't be the subject of a sentence by itself, it's used like an adjective or adverb.
>look it up
>his, her, hers, etc. are listed as pronouns
fuck this language
>>
>on Amazon last week
>put SS in my cart
>go to checkout
>shipping fucks me
>have to cancel because it's more than I can afford
>fast forward to yesterday
>come into some spare cash, put some on my online credit card, buy dinner and a shirt with the rest
>get home, get on amazon
>look up SS
>free shipping this time
>fuckyeah
>add to cart, go view details
> base price went up by $7
>only put $5 extra on my card because it would have paid for the shipping
>feelsbadman

fuck being poor
>>
>>36465487
Just download it.
Fucking idiot. Spending your last dollar on a book you can get for free.
>You deserve to be poor.
>>
>>36464869
Thomas Ligotti is wonderful. You should check out Grimscribe.
>>
>>36465487
It's in a lot of libraries dude. I don't understand why you'd ever pay money for a book unless it's very new or you don't live near a reasonable library.
>>
>>36450335
Me too! It's a good read.
>>
>>36465487
>>36467340
http://bookzz.org/dl/1251159/b78201

Heres the download link. Starting Strength is not a sit down and read book, use it as reference along with ripps youtube instructional vids.
>>
>>36468049
In my experience it's typically helpful to sit down and read a reference book cover to cover, carefully and presently, in order to be able to refer to it more efficiently when you return to specific sections while trying to apply what you've learned.
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.