[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Low bar squat functionality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 279x180) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 279x180
I low bar squat but I was windering about Mark Rippetoes assirance that it has the most real world functionality. Think for example if you were pushing a beached boat out to the tide along sand. There's no way that the upward hip drive as used in low bar would be as effective has pushing with high bar style leg drive. The same goes for pushing pretty much anything.

Im thinking of swapping out to high bar, my ego will just have to accept the drop in my numbers, and surely deadlifts and other posterior work will train the hammies and glutes enough anyway?

What gives
>>
All lifting has zero application to real life.

Sure you can squat 120kgs and deadlift 150kgs but when you need to lift something it doesn't come in a nice evenly distributed piece with the perfect place for you to grab it.

And if you're pushing anything you're supposed to do it with your back against it anyway or you'll mess up your back.
>>
talking about "real world functionality" is silly. the difference between the two squat styles is that one places slightly more emphasis on the quads and the other places slightly more emphasis and the posterior chain. are you quads or posterior chain more useful for "real life"? the answer obviously depends on the exact movement you're doing, though the real answer is to get really fucking strong in either style.
>>
Low bar is better for functionality because it trains lower back more, and whenever you do something heavy that doesn't involve a barbell your body just depends on back to do the work.
>>
Stupid. If you're strong, you do things more easily. It begins and ends there.
>>
A chain is as strong as its weakest link.
The weakest link in gym strength is often balance and especially grounding.
No matter how strong your arms and back are, you will only be able to apply the amount of force you are to transfer by pushing against the ground (as in a boxing strike, or a soccer shoot for example).
Imagine exerting force floating in zero gravity. Push as hard as you may, you have no grounding and your push has no effect, unless you're pushing against something (i.e a wall at your back).
In the boat example, I'd assume your weakness would be in your capacity to transfer the power of your legs to the boat efficiently. To do so, your extended body would have to be a straight line from your heels to the boat, and the push vector would have to be exactly aligned with your body (picture a diagonal vector from ground to boat). In this position I think you would be limited by your core strength more than your legs.
Inability to brace yourself in a plank would have you exert an upward push with your legs, and lose part of the strength when redirecting it horizontally into the boat via your arms.
>>
As far as highbar vs lowbar, neither are functional. Functional strenght is a matter of stamina and coordination more than raw power. No situation in life presents evenly distributed mass of weight wih require to be picked up and put down. Anything heavy will be voluminous, so forget about placing the load to rest exactly on your traps or lats.
>>
>>36443827
When I switched from powerlifting to strongman I saw this first hand. A 347lb axle zercher was unpleasant but doable. A 200lb sandbag is significantly harder due to weight distribution
>>
OTG pulls and weighted carries are the only functional movements but even then it's questionable due to even weight distribution and convenient grip. Strongman style lifts are the only conventional ones no matter how much power lifters will tell you the usefulness of their lifts. No matter what though >>36443528 is correct. Chances are the guy with the bigger DL and squat is going to have an easier time moving weight around.
>>
>>36443385
You're actually a fucking idiot m8. I did construction and lifting is what allowed me to take two buckets instead of one, carry rebar solo overhead, pick up huge stones and carry them to where they needed to go. We had to install a MASSIVE olive tree and they screwed 2x4s in to the frame so I could be the one deadlifting it. My max was only 475 or so at that time but if I wasn't there they would have needed to get a crane

Then, when hired by friends to help them move, lifting allowed me to move even the heaviest of their potted plants and awkward things.

>>36443422
The truth of the matter is that low bar hits quads comparably hard to high bar. Just uses more posterior chain on top of it

>>36443827
Perfect example to the contrary is the video with the dude pinned under the quad or that store owner that fought for his life but couldn't overpower a robber and ends up getting stabbed.
>>
>>36444258

>low bar hits quads like high bar

This is not even remotely true
>>
>>36444565
only if you go ass to grass but if you do below parallel it hardly makes a difference your stance will have a bigger impact on your legs rather than where you put the bar will.
>>
>>36444565
There's still a significant amount of knee flexion that happens in a low bar squat, which means your quads have to push through that with heavier weight. High bar may allow a closed hip joint but it's also lighter weight. Either way, squats are a leg exercise, low bar or high. You'll get quads from doing either.
>>
>>36444620
>>36444845
the load on the quads isnt the same, neither is the movement pattern appliable to other sports

sure you can train the quads fine with the lowbar, but there is a reason no professional athlete(PL aside) does these

plus the lift looks ugly af
>>
>>36444938
Dude gtfo with your shit opinions. Low bar is an excellent exercise. If you're back squatting you're already doing it right. Turning your nose up to low bar just makes you look dumb.

How much do you squat? Not picking a fight, just curious
>>
>>36444998
arent you a powerlifter
>>
>>36445011
Something like that
>>
>>36443290
Do low bar so you can lift big numbers, and throw in 3 sets of front squat on a different day to make sure your quads don't get behind, also make sure to do calf exercises if you want functional strength because squatting doesn't hit the calfs hard enough and calf strength has real world functionality
>>
I can't do high bar without it hurting my spine or crushing my (admittedly small) traps to death.

I do my 3 sets of low bar, and then a couple sets of front squat to make sure I stay balanced. But desu, even when I did just low bar, I always felt it the next day in my quads just as much as anywhere else.
>>
>>36444938
> neither is the movement pattern appliable to other sports

highbar has less applications since you never actually go that low in any sport if you're bend at the hips at any given moment you're more likely to assume a low bar position because that's where our body is strongest(more glute and back activation also more hip hinging) rarely will you ever be in a ass to grass position
when picking things everyday objects up, pushing somebody off in football or rugby, or even trying to stop other people when doing wrestling or judo.

>plus the lift looks ugly af
nobody in the gym will give a shit what you look like while squatting m8
>>
File: 1457364286288.jpg (24 KB, 387x461) Image search: [Google]
1457364286288.jpg
24 KB, 387x461
>>36443385
>>36443827
>>36443897
>if the lift doesn't exactly resemble another movement, it does not strengthen that movement

reminder that these are the kind of guys giving you fitness advice
>>
>>36443290
It's easy, Rippetoe doesn't know what he's talking about. He's simply an old-ass washed up powerlifter who never won anything and never produced any champions with his methods.

It's a meme, plain and simple.
>>
File: 1423459718299.jpg (7 KB, 226x219) Image search: [Google]
1423459718299.jpg
7 KB, 226x219
>mfw seeing lownigger squatters wearing olympic lifting shoes

why do they do this? it fucks up the whole movement.
>>
>>36445562
It's true, lrn2sports science. American autists just push the meme that there is no specific strength because they can't face the reality that for applicable strength, they'd have to do away with their precious bench pressed and full ROM pull ups.
>>
can someone please post those fucking "functional strength" comics they always make me smile

I was hoping I would see some here, I dont have them saved
>>
>>36445586
where can i read about this "science"
>>
>>36445586
I don't understand how you guys think that if you get big quads and glutes and hammys from powerlifting that they will only work when you powerlift and when you stop powerlifting they will magically turn from muscle to useless blobs of flesh
>>
>>36445581
Because you don't understand what shoes are for.
>>
>>36443290

I think leg length is a bigger factor, as in its relation to your torso length.

Longer legs = better low bar

Longer Torso = better high bar
>>
After being in the trades for a few years, I'd say forearms and lower back is 90 percent of functional strength. throw in 5 percent for calves
>>
>>36448389
Biceps and rotator cuffs are also pretty important. Without strong arms your deadlift strength is as good as useless in many applications.
>>
>>36448389
Truth. "Functional strength" can basically just be boiled down to having a strong back, a strong core, and strong arms.
>>
>>36448448
I definitely agree on the shoulders. being able to hold something steadily above your head is very useful.
>>
What lifts do I need the most after diddylifts to be able to pick up the average male and throw him through a window?
>>
>>36448598
The Press
>>
>>36448598
squats
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.