[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running General: /run/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13
File: homer_running.jpg (30 KB, 400x293) Image search: [Google]
homer_running.jpg
30 KB, 400x293
Post your routines, shoes, music, times, diet, injuries, recovery, cardio bunnies, or tips.

Never been a morning person but I'm going to get up early for a run tomorrow. Get it!

Last thread
>>36406575
>>
>>36439928
see /b/
>>
File: 16402941180_f63c7e3ae5_k.jpg (2 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
16402941180_f63c7e3ae5_k.jpg
2 MB, 2048x2048
long run sunday will be 26K
>>
File: 16542953121_5aabc03239_k.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1567) Image search: [Google]
16542953121_5aabc03239_k.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1567
Anyone else doing training based on heart rate.

Did a zone 5 workout this week, hill sprints
>>
File: 8858928098_9672b279dd_k.jpg (455 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
8858928098_9672b279dd_k.jpg
455 KB, 1365x2048
>>
Been doing HIIT while on walks with dog recently. Dog keeps switching sides while I run, what do
>>
>>36440399
got my dog to stay on the right
dont remember exactly how I trained him for that

probably by just running into him
>>
File: CavemanHunting-1160x683.jpg (260 KB, 1160x683) Image search: [Google]
CavemanHunting-1160x683.jpg
260 KB, 1160x683
Strange feels

>Enjoy running in a constant pace of 7.5 to 8.5 miles per hour for 45~1hr
>Hate having to go faster unless in danger or in the mood.
>all that good fats helping me in cardio
>Trying to increase speed of run as well

Perhaps one day I'll HIIT and stop being a pleb but I enjoy knowing the feeling of outlasting everyone.
>>
>>36440482
you know HIIT is as good if not better for endurance, right?
>>
File: 9194134667_09ec04e3ca_k.jpg (807 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
9194134667_09ec04e3ca_k.jpg
807 KB, 1365x2048
>>36440482
>>36440511
HIIT brings bigger chance of injury.
Long slow takes more time, but you can do much without injury.

If you are not a long time runner, do lots of slow running first
>>
>>36440548
what crack are you smoking? long running is the main cause of most injuries in runners. the only reason to long run is for a better fat burn

i have a feeling you really dont know what youre talking about
>>
>>36440399
Not OP but I had the same problem. I feel sorta shitty about it but at first I would yank him in the direction I wanted him to stay. Eventually he just stayed on one side because he didn't want to be choked.
>>
>>36440511

Oh trust me, I've tried HIIT a couple of times but saw no real improvement. Not compared to staying in a constant high pace or higher for long distances. Could be me I guess?

Also, I like to trigger people saying HIIT is a meme.
>>
>>36440559
I have a feeling that you are falling for the memes.

You need both. You are training different energy systems.
Long slow causes better/more fat burning capability.
HIIT causes better lactate clearance and tolerance.

but if you can go faster on fat, before you have to change to glycogen, that better you will do a longer distance race.
>>
>Do you run?
From what?
>>
>>36440604
you burn glycogen before you burn fat

does nobody here actually run?
>>
>>36440621
glycogen is used mostly for anaerobic.
but you are always using some.

fat is burned aerobically. As long as you stay aerobic (below threshold) your main fuel source is fat.

reason you burn some glycogen first is that you will always start out at oxygen deficit, until heart rate catches up and gets more oxygen to muscles.
>>
Doing my first ever 5k tomorrow i am excited. When i jog my 6 miles i average about 9 minutes per mile is that decent
>>
>>36439928

Winter: 2-5 km everyday
Spring: 5-10 km everyday
Summer:10 - 15 km everyday plus a cool down in a river I live next to
Fall: 5-10 km

Shoes: Nike Free

Music: No music. It's a distraction

Injuries: Primarily toe based swelling, occasional hamstring pulling, I actually got bit on the ankle by some fuckhead's German Shepherd

Recovery time 24-48 hours off my feet

Tips: Start with short, manageable distances, when you master it push the boundry. Also, I fucking love running in the morning, especially in the Fall.
>>
>>36440687
close but no

glycogen is indeed used during anaerobic exercise but that is only because fat cant be metabolized effectively during short periods of work (anaerobic) and the by-product is lots of lactic acid

both glycogen and fat are used during aerobic exercise. in the case of a marathon most runners will run out of glycogen to burn at the 20ish mile mark.

kind of a tldr summary: glycogen = easy to metabolize which means more efficient for the body to burn during anaerobic and aerobic exercise WHILE IT IS PRESENT
fat = more energy within the hydrogen bonds of the macromolecule which means it has more calories for the body to use, but the reactions required to break it down take more energy and in fact require carbohydrates to burn so it is used when glycogen stores are used up
>>
>>36440621
Have you seen what runners look like when they are old? Two knee replacements before they hit 50.
>>
>>36440616
from the crippling horror of the inevitable death of everyone you care about and the painful truth that we all hide from by using exercise.
>>
>>36440768
We are getting closer.

Glycogen and carbs are the same thing. Body converts carbs to glycogen for short term storage. When you run out of glycogen, you bonk, you are done.

Limited storage of glycogen (in muscles, liver, and blood). but it can be used without oxygen, so muscle does not have to wait for O2 to burn fat.

Then, lactate is burned with oxygen, or converted back to glycogen in liver.

so during HIIT, you cant get O2 to muscles fast enough, burn glycogen anaerobically, then use lactate with what O2 can get to muscles. When this cant keep up, you get excess of lactic acid which will slow you down
>>
>>36440764
man write some more. your weight
do you work out.
did you get shin splits?
do you run or you jog?

i had a period where I runned 5km every other day with a 45% inclined 1km long hill in the middle of a track. shit was awesome.
however, my legs went to shit and I had to put running on hold for few months. (8)

now gonna go again, but man I miss benefits of running. those extra long extra strong boners, that fat burn in the morning or excellent night sleep if you run in the evening.
>>
>>36440794

that was all the motivation I needed to lose 160 pounds through running and diet change up
>>
>>36440834
im trying to figure out what your point is.

are you trying to tell me that glycogen isnt burned before fat during exercise or are you arguing the merits of HIIT vs long distance training
>>
>>36440866
I think I am figuring out that we are arguing the same thing.

I am arguing that a good training program has to have majority (like 70-80%) of slow, zone 2 work. I also must have some threshold work, and some speedwork (HIIT).

Just HIIT is a shitty injury prone program
Just long slow give great endurance, but your speed sucks compared to where it could be.

gotta do both.

Long slow build the aerobic engine that burns fat and lactate. bigger engine = faster
>>
>>36440836

I'm 5'11, and maintain myself between 135 to 141. When I started running and eating right I was 295 pounds

I bought a weight bench and 150kg's of weight. I don't really like to work out in public. I still have this crippling fat persona I'm dealing with. It doesn't matter how many times I get stopped by other runners and chatted up, I'm socially awkward as fuck.

Shin splits, I do get them on occasion, but not very often. I do a lot of icing and cold showers. Also have a treadmill which I hit at night for an hour, then I'll go outside and hit myself with the garden hose. Best shit ever.

I mix it up with the running and jogging. My usual summer route is 5 km to a park, which I'll run flat out. Then I'll jog the 5 km through the park so I don't come off as a mad man in front of the normies, then I'll run back home.

The best part is how fucking strong my legs have become. There was a time when I was wheezing and physical agony walking up a slope. Now if I'm out with friends, I'm the first one to the final destination even if I'm walking and not even trying.

Another useful thing is not owning a car. I have no excuse to be lazy and walk 20 km. If I need to go further, there's plenty of public transportation
>>
>>36440914
were in agreement about the chemistry of it all and that you need to train both, but youre wrong about HIIT causing more injuries.

simply put: if you train smart you can avoid hurting yourself with HIIT. long distance will cause more wear and tear on your body regardless of how good your form is.
>>
>>36440957

My worst running injury came during speedwork, running intervals. pulled hamstring took many months to clear.

no problems with long slow.

From running group, injuries from long slow creep up, people complain about them for weeks/months before they finally get physio.

With intervals, it always seemed like they were injured RightNow.
>>
>>36440938
delet this
>>
File: running.jpg (118 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
running.jpg
118 KB, 852x1136
I've been getting back into it lately

I forgot how awful it feels when you haven't done it for a while. Before when I went running I would feel like a million bucks after. Went running on Wednesday and felt like complete garbage. I could barely drive home.
>>
>>36440985
because you/they are not athletic. you just run

being an athlete is more than just having good cardio. you have to be flexible so that you can reach full range of motion without injuring yourself like you did.

flexibility is as much a part of my training as weights or the track is
>>
Injury was 10 years ago, and yeah, running only then.

Now, weights, flexibility, cross training(triathlon) = no physio for 3 years.
>>
File: 7575646896_3a90874f8f_k.jpg (801 KB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
7575646896_3a90874f8f_k.jpg
801 KB, 2048x1360
>>
>>36440920
nice man, ill try icing along with cold showers. ty for advice. as far as awkwardness, cant help you there. ppl say i used to be more fun when i was fat. idk i like myself better like this, people dont see me just as good fun.
>>
>>36439928
Go to song "Runnin" by David Dallas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoXa2Pl7Hk0
>>
>>36440399
>>36440569
If you do to yank your dog (which btw you should) make sure to only ever do it to the side (i.e to the left or right). Do NOT yank dog directly backwards. Also, try and associate a word with the yanking, so dog will learn to move without need for yank
>>
File: 1458137566699.jpg (60 KB, 495x507) Image search: [Google]
1458137566699.jpg
60 KB, 495x507
I never ran before I turned 21 and that was only so I could join the marines

Took me 2 years to be able to run a mile and a half in under 13:30 8)
>>
>>36439928
recently started running regularly on top of lifting
im running at steady pace 5km (takes me 30min) in the morning before school mon-friday, then do one run, where im going for distance on the weekend and the other weekend day i take a break from running
is this a good routine? ill add that my weightlifting routine includes squatting 2-3 times a week (i ditched deadlifts recently as i feel they take long to recover and dont provide me much muscle gains)
>>
been running on the treadmill for 4 months now. started hal higdons half training. got up to running 8 miles straight at 5.5mph. Changing up the routine to gain speed. starting out at .5 mi running at 8mph. Plan on increasing .1 mi every day. Is this a good strat for getting used to running faster? My goal is to be able to run at least 3 miles consistently at 8mph
>>
I did leg day yesterday and its painful to walk.

Would a slow 2-3 mile run be a good idea?
>>
>>36441531
Probably not
>>
>>36441531
let it heal. soak in cold water
>>
File: 1451894477896.gif (88 KB, 336x240) Image search: [Google]
1451894477896.gif
88 KB, 336x240
>doctor recommends more cardio
How effective is C25k?
Will it effect my gains?
Why is it so much more painful than weight lifting?
Beginners tips?
>>
>>36441623
just do it and adjust your eating. it aint so hard.
>>
File: tumblr_nf1n8nO0fp1qbmgeto5_1280.jpg (445 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nf1n8nO0fp1qbmgeto5_1280.jpg
445 KB, 1280x1707
>>36441623
With this guy here, started C25K so I don't die in the military.
4 weeks in I can go 4km in ~22 minutes, still feels like there's something wrong with my breathing though.
>So much more painful
My ribs hurt like shit if I swings my hips instead of my arms, maybe you're doing that. Land mid-foot too, saved me more than a few borrows of the back roller.
>>36441698
If my goal is to just be healthy and increase my distance, no gains concerned, how much should I be adjusting?
>>
>>36439928
How do I Build up running stamina?
Pretty much Just started out, and my short distance times are so much faster than my long run times.
>>
How do I prevent blisters? The right side of my left foot got really blistered on a run two days ago. I try to wear thicker socks and nice running shoes.
>>
>>36440705
>>36439928

Hey OP, next time you make this thread, could you please include this? Please are always curious about how they stack up against other people and this resources is pretty golden for that.

http://www.heartbreakhill.org/age_graded.htm
>>
>>36443340
There are a lot of things that you can do.

http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/a-runners-guide-to-blister-prevention-and-treatment/

>>36441774
Running long distances improves your cardiovascular system. You will get better in time. Perhaps check if you have exercise induced asthma. Stay calm while you run. Try stretching your upper body before and during your run.

You may benefit from learning how oxygen enters our blood stream from our lungs. Oxygen enters our body when there is a high pressure in our lungs. This high pressure does two things. 1. It pushes air out of our lungs (exhaling), and 2. It pushes oxygen into our blood stream through cells in our lungs. Thus, weakly exhaling is reducing the amount of oxygen that gets pushed into your blood stream.

Watch some videos on youtube about breathing, and focus on creating that high pressure in your lungs. 2 seconds in, 2 seconds out.

>>36441425

Typically not a good idea. What you will want to do to dramatically improve is to start varying up your runs and train for a specific distance. Your goal is a 23 minute 5k. For future reference, most runners don't say "8mph," it is a lot easier to think 8min miles.

Take a couple of easy days to recover, then run a 5k as fast as you fucking can. Enter that time in on this website.

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Figure out at what various paces that you need to run at to achieve your goal. Some run days are going to be long and easy to improve your efficiency and breath. Other days are going to be speed.

Then you can find a training regement that helps you achieve your goal, but until then, you are guessing.

This may also be a good time to invest in a gps watch as they are very helpful for keeping track of your pace.
>>
>>36441531
Rest, you idiot.

>>36441364
At least you are doing what you were born to do. Keep on doing it.

>>36440209
Perceived effort is a better indicator. I also live in a very flat area, so I can even look at my gps watch and it'll give me a good idea of what is going on.
>>
>>36443276
Figure out what your various paces should be, then train at those paces.

A healthy mix of long and slow, and short and fast runs can do that. Find a running plan that meets you at your current ability and takes you to your goal. Stick to it, and don't over do it.
>>
>can walk on my treadmill at 4.3 miles/hr for 45 minutes easily
>can't run for very long (5-7 miles/hr) before getting tired after 20 minutes
how do i get better? i always run out of breath and feel weak when running
>>
>>36440559
This, just isn't true at all. Most people get injured doing retarded hill sprints every day with shit running form an no thought aside from muh HIIT
>>
>>36444117
You feel weak because you are weak. Running isn't the sport for you if you want to feel strong. Walking is a lot easier than running. You need to do one of two things to build up your endurance (both of which are included in c25k programs).

The easiest thing to do are intervals with walks. Walk for a minute, then jog for a minute. It is okay to take small breaks while you are training. As you feel better, reduce the amount of time spent walking and increase the amount of time spent running.

The slightly harder thing that you can do is run slower. Running is vague, but you should be aiming for a jog. Slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down until you find a pace that you can hold for 5 or 10 minutes.

>>36444132
> hill sprints every day

Who does this?
>>
I did 2km in 8mins 45seconds.
how shit am I ?
>>
>>36439928
gonna do a 20 km run tomorrow, is 90 minutes a realistic time if my current 10km time is 46 minutes?
What music is nice for long distance running?
>>
>>36444277
Realistically, you are looking at 1:36, so no. You're fast, but it will be very hard to take off about 30 seconds for every mile.

>>
>cutting

anyone else feels more hungry after cardio as compared to lifting?
>>
>>36444741
This I can only run right before bed or else I'll eat 3000more calories throughout the day (even though with cardio I only burned a max of 4-500)
>>
>>36444741
as long as Im eating mostly carbs, I find cutting on cardio easier
>>
Running music should almost always be power metal or DNB
https://youtu.be/dSvAKk8uc0E
>>
How do I run in the cold months? I'm having to go inside to run because cold air cuts my stamina by more than half and I get nauseous running in it. It kills my lungs and makes it impossible to breathe.

I don't have any breathing problems and have no problems being out in even -30 Celsius or lower for extended periods of time, I just simply can't run outside in Winter. Any help runbros?
>>
>>36445404
>It kills my lungs and makes it impossible to breathe.
No shit. Your lungs need humidity in order to work. You're basically becomming asthmatic. Breathing in cold dry air fucks that up. You can try wearing a balaclava to cover your mouth or run on treadmills.
>>
>>36440705
Finished on 28:03. 9:30 per mile not bad for never running and smoking a pack a day.
>>
>>36445501
I run indoors on cold months, so no need for the treadmill.

The balaclava will just frost over in the really cold months, plus I see people running in the fall when it's almost 0 celsius and doing just fine.
>>
>>36445638
Whereas I can't even run when it gets to like, 6 degrees outside
>>
File: split personality.jpg (321 KB, 1517x1100) Image search: [Google]
split personality.jpg
321 KB, 1517x1100
>>36439928

just now getting /fit/ so it's nothing impressive.

about 1-2 miles a day.

if treadmill, then i sprint 1 mile

if im just running outside, i do a 2 mile jogging pace

im training for a 5k next month :)
>>
>>36445638
>The balaclava will just frost over in the really cold months, plus I see people running in the fall when it's almost 0 celsius and doing just fine.

You probably have asthma.

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/features/athletes-guide-exercise-induced-asthma

>>36445524

This is nothing to be proud of. You are dead average in a race that is extremely easy to complete for someone who is not obese. Your time is below average, and your smoking habit will catch up to you.

>>36445715

Good on you. Be sure to run 3-5 days a week. Give yourself some rest. Get a foam roller and massage your muscles. When you run less during the week, don't be afraid to run longer/harder. If you want to run more days, then run slower and easier.
>>
I'm currently trying the Hal Higdon "Novice 1" plan to get myself up to a 1/2 marathon. 3x per week feels so much better than the 6x I was doing before - I was just running normally each day, rather than varying it with HIIT, speedwork, or hills, so I think half of my runs just ended up being junk miles. Using Merrell Bare Access Trail for shoes and weebshit for music.
>>
File: guts.jpg (197 KB, 1174x851) Image search: [Google]
guts.jpg
197 KB, 1174x851
>>36445752

hey thanks man i try. for the treadmill, should i start putting on incline or is that not good for the legs?
>>
>>36445835
4x per week, no?
>>
>>36441011
Me too breh. I used to be able to run a 5k and feel good about myself. Now I can barely do 2 miles without drowning in my saliva and wheezing.

Feels bad man
>>
>>36445948
What ever you want really. If you are overweight, I would advise against it. In fact, forget about inclines for now. Just run flat and work on building up distance.
>>
>>36445970
Plan says Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, with either a run or cross-training on Wednesday - if I go with cross training, I can get all my lifting done in the morning on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Doing a decent run and working out on the same day just seems to kill me, maybe because I'm cutting.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.