[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
22, skinnyfat, and quite literally live 45 seconds walking from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: gj224xt.jpg (34 KB, 440x400) Image search: [Google]
gj224xt.jpg
34 KB, 440x400
22, skinnyfat, and quite literally live 45 seconds walking from a gym. However vidya, terrible eating habits and lack of motivation prevent me from going to said gym.

I keep thinking about doing it, constantly telling myself "I'll start going (insert day here), but I never do. How do you guys do it? How do you work up the motivation to start getting in shape and maintain that motivation?

pic unrelated
>>
i never managed to work up motivation for something. i just stpped whatever i was doing and went to do that one thing I'm avoiding.

by "getting motivated" you are just adding extra step to it all
>>
Just go dude. You're getting older and the later you start the more you'll regret starting so late

Me? Age 21, will be 22 at end of March. I started at 19 and I look great now but I would give anything to have started in high school during the swing of puberty
>>
If you do it enough it will become habit and you won't see it as something you "have to do". It's just part of my routine now, same as brushing my teeth and going to work.

Also its probably the only thing that keeps me from wanting to kill myself so that helps.
>>
Don't do it. It is too hard. Who needs muscles anyway? Even if you go you have to do it for years and need good genetics to looks really good. Just don't try, you won't regret it when you're older.
>>
>>36429862
I also know next to nothing about how to start, whic excercises to do. All that shit.

>>36429869
How long, roughly, should that take?
>>
>>36429876
habits form within 90 days or 3 months.
>>
>>36429889
Well shit, I should probably find a gym buddy than. Somebody who knows what they're doing.
>>
>>36429844
Idk, I've only been weight training for about 6 months but once I started I was hooked. The chemical release brought upon by heavy lifting is quite enjoyable as is the pleasure of making progress. Just go into the gym and start lifting and chances are you'll enjoy it.
>>
For me it started in high school with some friends.
What's important really isn't the how to get started part but how to get consistent. I've seen some studies say if you do something for 3 months is becomes a habit built into you and won't feel like you're pushing yourself anymore.

Since your problem is "getting started". Realize that video games/ movies/ fapping provides you with instant gratification which is what you're hooked on. But this doesn't last so you keep going for it since it's easy.
Keep telling yourself this. You must understand it and agree with it, not just force it on yourself. Think of it as not doing homework just to get it over with but instead to learn from it.
>>
>>36429844
This is pathetic in the most refined sense of the word
Reading this makes me cringe
>>
>>36429931
Well, I'm a pathetic person as you can quite clearly see. That's why I came here, to seek advice.
>>
Discipline is stronger than motivation.
>>
>>36429931
way to encourage others with constructive criticism.
no worries op, dicks will be scattered along the way.
no need for gymbro. either some program from the stucky, or bodyweight at home (squats pushups pullups chinups, so that you don't feel too embarassed when you lift the bar only.
>>
disregard everyone else OP
"just do it" doesnt work

youre a nerd right? you gotta go about it like a nerd
READ UP
thats what got me started in the end

i didnt go for ages because it felt so hopeless
like what end to start with? what do i even do?

get nerdy about it
learn the statistics
lurk fit, find good links
use your inherent autism to learn about proteins and muscles, instead of byzantine cavalry charges or whatever

when you understand how it all works it becomes easy. its like doing a daily quest in wow
>>
>>36429844
stick a finger in your anus every day you don't go
>>
>>36429960
Are there any programs that focus on overall strength and not o much in mass? I know that there's a difference between the two, but I would much rather focus on strength.

>>36429972
I actually really like that idea. It'll probably give me better insight than all the /fit/ related things I see on Facebook.

>>36429975
So you're saying every day I don't go I should do cardio? Masturbating couns as light ardio right?
>>
File: fan vad snygg han är.jpg (431 KB, 1100x768) Image search: [Google]
fan vad snygg han är.jpg
431 KB, 1100x768
lurk /fit/ everyday

start with the funny threads
read the miring stories everyday

eventually youll start to read other threads as well
youll passively scroll through peoples discussions and some things will stick

youll know what the disadvantages of SS is and how much protein youll need to eat everyday and how many calories a chicken breast is and what a proper squat form is
it will become charted territory to you and it will easy and fun to lift too because youll know things about it and youll be able to do it more efficiently than anyone else at your gym because youll have the retard autist science behind it

also READ THE STICKY READ THE STICKY READ THE STICKY READ THE STICKY
>>
Dude I'm near 22 and I didn't do anything for the first 20 years of my life. Literally nothing. Just sat on my ass on computer and playstation. It's never too late to start
>>
>>36429988
there are many programs, but if you haven't lifted before none of that matters really. just stick with something for novices that is recommended here.

no one gets shredded in 3 months or huge or.. dunno. whatever. you will notice changes but you will not grow enough to burst fron clothes
>>
>Are there any programs that focus on overall strength and not o much in mass? I know that there's a difference between the two, but I would much rather focus on strength.

BASICALLY
heavy lifts, few reps = strength
lighter lifts, more reps = mass

for MUH FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH, the "starting strength" (SS) program is traditionally considered the best
it was designed by lifting celebrity MARK RIPPETOE to help olympic athletes train as efficiently as possible for only strength gains
>>
you need discliplin, not motivation
>>
File: Brandenburg.jpg (281 KB, 832x1280) Image search: [Google]
Brandenburg.jpg
281 KB, 832x1280
read the sticky
>>
>>36430006
I've gone to the gym a total of maybe 5 times since Community College, ever tme it was with somebody and I always felt so lost with all the fancy machines and shit. So I just went to wherever the dumbbells were and did whatever I could think of. The one thing that bugs me however, is we have to do PT every morning and it's always some bullshit run which I've heard makes any strength gain (if I heard correctly) essentially dissipate.

>>36430026
sticky is open in seperate tab. Reading time now.
>>
>>36429844
Just think about Rock Lee; no ninjitsu, no nothing. All he had was his Tijitsu and trained hard every day. You're not even trying to become a ninja..... you have it much easier now stop counting the days you aren't there and start counting your reps.
>>
>>36429892
how about you read the sticky asshat
>>
To OP, as a beginner don't listen to this shit about high reps for mass and low reps for strength. That type of training mostly only applies to people on steroids. As a natural lifter, as your strength goes up, size will follow. Having said that, your body has no reason to gain mass if it isn't being pushed to become stronger. People on roids can focus on size and not strength because their drugs ALLOW that. As a natural, not so.
Most of the people who spread this high reps mass and low reps strength logic are the same people who believe most bodybuilding stars are natural.
To defend my argument, this kind of contrasting training works for advanced lifters to further increase strength since their bodies don't benefit as much from minimalistic training.
>>
You're going to have to sort through so much broscience and bullshit while learning on your fitness journey. Goodluck.
>>
>>36429844
aint nothin to it but to do it.

YEA BUDDY
>>
>>36430026
Is that bottom pic some hippy love in, or did the homeless take over? Regardless, Hitler is rolling over in his grave.
>>
>>36429844
youll never do it if you tell yourself youll do it later. if you dont want to do it now, then you dont want to do it enough to do it at all.
>>
>>36429844
Easy mode- start at 1 pushup and 1 sit up, add 1 more each day.
Hard mode - find a bro to hit the gym with regularly
>>
>>36429936
Breh I don't feel bad for you, but because you came here asking for motivation I will say this:

I cannot motivate you. I can't do it over the internet, and I probably couldn't do it in real life. If you want to change, it begins and ends with you.
If you want to go to the gym, you need to decide to do it. I know it sounds vague, but this is a necessary and actionable step. Decide that you are going to go, set time out for it, prepare your things, and when that time comes, act.
If you are feeling nervous, apprehensive, or anxious, try to realize that nobody there is judging you; they are all focused on themselves in the same way you are focused on yourself. If this doesn't work, then lie to yourself and say it'll be nothing. Do what you have to do, but this is the most important part. Take the leap; just go.

Once you're there, I don't know what will go down, chances are you will sign up for a membership or something. Whether or not you even work out the first day is up to you, but this leads to the next and equally important step: return.
If you can return, and continue to return, you'll create a habit. You'll feel more and more comfortable each time. You may even enjoy it, and if you don't then you can live with the satisfaction that you tried.

My final advice is this: break it down into parts. Don't worry about future steps, focus on the step you are at. 1: Decide to go and pick a time 2: ACTUALLY GO 3: Go again 4: Repeat step 3
Don't worry about the next step until you have completed the previous one.

Your routine is up to you. Take some free time and use google, look for beginner routines, and look up videos on correct form for the different exercises. Ask for advice if you need it or don't know what to do.

Godspeed.
>>
>>36429844
>However vidya, terrible eating habits and lack of motivation prevent me from going to said gym.
None of those things are preventing you going to the gym.

Video games give you another option and make it easier to play video games instead of working out.
Buying shitty food makes you more likely to eat shitty food.

> keep thinking about doing it, constantly telling myself "I'll start going (insert day here), but I never do. How do you guys do it? How do you work up the motivation to start getting in shape and maintain that motivation?
So stop thinking about it. And motivation never helped anyone do anything. Assuming you need to be motivated to do something simply means you're more unlikely to do it when you have to involve effort or discipline.

As for actually working out and eating better, I'd suggest doing what works.

Set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Bound) goals, break down how much and how often you'll have to work out to get there and then execute towards your weekly goals.

Tips:
Trying and failing will get you further than reading or any amount of being motivated.
Self Discipline comes with progress, not before.
More vegetables is almost always the best diet practice.
Progress is measured by discipline, endurance, consistency. Not motivation, accomplishments or feeling good.

>I also know next to nothing about how to start, whic excercises to do. All that shit.
Read the sticky but remember the effort and action is what matters.

>How long, roughly, should that take?
However long you work out it'll take when you set a SMART goal.

>>36430160
Also this. Remember not to take anything on here too seriously and always rely on your actions rather than ideas.
>>
>>36430179
Muslim hordes.
>>
Its normal to be intimidaded by the gym.
However youre living so close so whats stopping you from going at midnight when its empty?
this way you will be a t ease and not embarssed for being weak
>>
>>36429844
When you don't intend to go to the gym admit it.

Call it what it is.

Don't say "I'll do it tomorrow" or "I'll go when I'm not as tired."

Admit that you're intentionally deluding yourself so that you can have the satisfaction of going to the gym while not actually going. Once you realize that the problem is your relationship with your own mind, nothing can stop you.
>>
>>36429844
http://darebee.com/pick-a-program.html

try one of their bodywieght training program for starter
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.