[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: things you learned from years of lifting >pre-workout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: 1456548035413.jpg (95 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1456548035413.jpg
95 KB, 600x600
ITT: things you learned from years of lifting
>pre-workout mixes are generally a waste
>don't overtrain
>do some cardio even if losing weight isn't your objective
>>
>machines don't do anything
>protein requirements are massively overtstated by an industry shilling workout supplements to gullible DYELs
>lifting doesn't make you bigger so much as it makes you feel better about yourself - the biggest gains are psychological.
>>
>>36427580
L O A D E D C A R R I E S
O
A
D
E
D

C
A
R
R
I
E
S
>>
>>36427606
Only the protein one is true lol
>>
>>36427606
>lifting doesn't make you bigger so much as it makes you feel better about yourself
Maybe if you hate more protein you'd be bigger lel
>>
yeah protein intake is crazy for some people like why does a 5'7 160 manlet need over 200 g of protein lmao.

also depending on your goals you don't need to be super strict on calories and macros as long as you are somewhere around your goal intake and train hard. Works for me because i dont track or measure out anything.
>>
>Don't overtrain.
>FORM IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE. DON'T PUSH YOUR WEIGHT IF YOUR FORM IS SLOPPY.
>Sleep is important.

t. wounded lifter
>>
>>36427580
>don't do SS
>don't squat, deadlift from floor and flat barbell bench press if you are beginner
>do lots of mobility and stretch
>>
>>36429294
>>don't squat, deadlift from floor and flat barbell bench press if you are beginner
???
>>
>>36429294
gains goblin pls go
kill yourself.
>>
>>36429325
I have never seen beginners squat or deadlift with good technique. They have terrible mobility and week muscles. In my opinion beginners should do lots of mobility work, goblet => front squats, split-squats, rack pulls.
For bench press progression should be: lots of push ups and dips => inclined dumbbell bench presses => inclined barbell bench presses => flat barbell bench presses. Same time with this beginners should do lots of back work: pull ups, horizontal rows, hyperextensions etc.
>>
>>36429360
Go and suck Ripp's pinus. Oh wait, you've already done it.
>>
>>36429386
Lmao
>>
>>36427580
>unless a supplement has reliable scientific evidence that it works don't waste your money
>work your fucking delts nigger, all day every day, they need a lot of work to grow properly
>do some fucking pullups, just because you can powerclean and row a million doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing pull ups too
>low bar>high bar, do low bar as soon as you start lifting, don't waste 3 months doing high bar
>measure your weight and bodyfat percentage every day and then do a weekly average to get a better idea of exactly how much muscle and fat you have
>pay close attention to how the ratio of muscle:fat changes during cutting or bulking, if you're gaining weight at a ratio of less than 6:4 then you're bulking too hard and need to put down the gallon of milk, if you're cutting and you're at anything other than a 1:9 ratio you're probably doing something wrong
>wear some proper fucking shoes
>be fucking careful doing cleans, you're not a crossfit fag on test and HGH who can recover from any injury overnight, if you fuck up your wrists they're going to take months to heal
>>
File: 1455540264251.jpg (56 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
1455540264251.jpg
56 KB, 600x480
>>36429374
>doing rack pulls, rows and to develop an extremely strong back but not doing squats or deadlifts to develop proportionate leg strength
Lol, what could possibly go wrong, I'm a lawyerfag so please become a personal trainer that way I can represent your clients when they sue you after you destroy their hamstrings
>>
File: thumb[1].png (148 KB, 575x352) Image search: [Google]
thumb[1].png
148 KB, 575x352
>>36429374
>rack pulls but no deadlifts
Are you intentionally telling people to lift with their back instead of with their legs? Holy shit you're retarded
>>
>>36429269
sucks you had to learn the hard way
recover soon bro
>>
>>36429458
You are probably six months into your 6 year soul sucking degree, m8.
>>
>Overtraining is exaggerated
>fullbody workout everyday works for me
>most advice I read is a whole lot of survivorship-bias and theory. find out what works for you
>>
>>36429500
>6 year
Wut? J.D is only 3 years unless you're doing it part time
>>
>>36429458
>>36429478
>continuing to suck Ripp's benis
Stop, guys, please.
Do partial lifts instead of full lifts is a common approach for beginners. Cressey, Sheiko and lots of other really good (in contradistinction to Rippetoe whose dick you can't get of your mouths) coaches think so.
>>
>>36427580
when your coach has you get naked in the shower with all the other players and watches it's not really team building exercise.
>>
>>36429430
Holy shit. That last one. I did tweak my wrist on a sloppy clean a while ago and I still feel it when doing odd movements. Shits weird .. it doesn't hurt bad enough for a doc visit, but it's definitely there. Idk. I guess time is needed . Fuck
>>
>Bodybuilding routines suck if your goal is progress in sports.
>Do you ever 5rm, bro?
>>
>>36429478
Are you intentionally telling people to lift cardboard boxes instead of barbells or dumbbells? Holy shit you're retarded
>>
File: Full-Sheiko-Novice-Routine[1].jpg (146 KB, 1235x418) Image search: [Google]
Full-Sheiko-Novice-Routine[1].jpg
146 KB, 1235x418
>>36429539
No he doesn't, closest thing is the halting deadlifts which are a concentric-only lift like C&J or snatch, not a true partial lift, holy shit you're retarded
>>
>>36429458
>>doing rack pulls, rows and to develop an extremely strong back but not doing squats or deadlifts to develop proportionate leg strength
>implying you choose one routine for all your life and never change or add exercises
>>
>>36429374
i agree with all of this. lots of bodybuilders say you should never flat bb bench at all just because of the inevitable strain it puts on your shoulder
>>
>>36429539
Firstly citation needed on Sheiko recommending partial lifts for beginners, the only beginner routine of his I've ever seen is >>36429601 Sheiko as almost entirely focused on training of advanced powerlifters whereas Rippletits is primarily focused on training of beginner and intermediate lifters and therefore would presumably have far more experience on how to actually do it correctly

>Eric Cressey
Srsly? You found one obscure baseball conditioning coach who uses partial lifts for beginners, that's no better than recommending partial lifts because Jeff Seid wrote an article on bb.com telling people to do them
>>
>>36429601
>guttural sound
While you continuing, I tell you something.

http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=5.0
"Learning deadlift off boxes" - week 3 day 3
"Deadlift off boxes" - week 4 day 3
"Deadlift off boxes" - month 2 week 1 day 3
"Deadlift off boxes" - week 2 day 3
Deadlift up to knees and Deadlift - only LAST TWO WEEKS.

Now, your program.
http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=270.0
TONS OF deadlifts from pins. Even in your pick tons of rack pulls.
>>
>>36429650
>one obscure baseball conditioning coach
OH LOL

"As a competitive powerlifter, Eric holds several state, national, and world records. A mainstay in the Powerlifting USA Top 100 lifts in his weight class, Cressey is rapidly approaching Elite status with competition bests of 540 squat, 402 bench, 650 deadlift, and 1532 total in the 165-pound weight class. He is recognized as a coach who can jump, sprint, and lift alongside his best athletes to push them to higher levels - and keep them healthy in the process."
>>
>>36429657
>week 3 day 3
1. Warm-up 15 minutes
2. Deadlift up to knees X kg 3reps x 1set, X+5kg 3 reps x 4sets
3. Shoulders press inclined (45 degrees) 3reps x 5sets
4. Seated rowing 6reps x 5sets
5. Biceps curls with db simultaneously standing 8reps x 5set
6. Football 30 minutes

Did you even read your own link?

7/10 for making me reply
>>
File: 123.jpg (47 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
47 KB, 596x628
>>36429650
>great coach
>everyone at /fit/ faps to him
>focused on training of beginner lifters
>FOCUSED ON TRAINING OF BEGINNER LIFTERS
>>
>>36429697
>everyone at /fit/ faps to him
Pretty much everyone on /fit/ other than a few guys in /plg/ are beginner or intermediate lifters, where exactly are you going with this line of reasoning?
>>
>>36429692
>little error
>NO, YOU WRONG, IT CHANGES EVERITHING!!!!!
lmao
>>
>>36429649
key word there being bodybuilders
youre retarded
>>
>>36429539
Oh I get it, you're a contrarian hipster who hates Ripp because SS almost universally recommended for beginner powerlifters so you did some other obscure routine so you could feel smarter and more unique than everyone else
>>
>>36429729
>guttural sound
Excuse me, what?
>>
>>36429729
>2016
>hipster
>>
>>36429677
Proof of any of that?
Not from some dumb shill bio.
>>
>>36429874
eric cressey deadlift on Google came up with a video of him diddlying 603 for a triple, not bad desu
>>
>>36429562

the best therapy is steroid cycle.

without cure problems can last for years
>>
>>36429874
Proof that SS works?
Not from dumb web pages.
>>
>>36429896
Not bad, but not multiple world records
>>
File: ray-charles.jpg (355 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
ray-charles.jpg
355 KB, 1600x1200
>>36429601
>No he doesn't
>>
>0.6-7g of protein per lb is definitely enough for natty
>natty gains are a joke so don't even bother neglecting other aspects of your life to put more effort into lifting and diet than needed
>different routines don't give very different results as long as they're not extreme (like only very low reps or only very high reps)
>there's no point in going to failure when doing a set, ever
>genetics are not a fucking joke and at the end of the day matter way more than routine and diet
>>
>>36430644
>there's no point on going to failure in a set
Why?
>>
>>36431737
Not him but usually at failure form degrades and then youre just reinforcing bad habits
>>
>>36429649
>bodybuilders
I agree completely. Bodybuilder's atrocious 90 degrees elbow "bench presses" put a lot of strain in your shoulders.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>36427606
>the last one
>>
>>36430644
If you're not eating enough protein then yes, natty gains are an absolute joke.
Fucking roid monkey.
>>
>>36427606
>machines don't do anything

kek, so your body knows it's using a machine and then decides not to build muscle? dumbest shit ever. break down the muscle and it will grow, doesn't matter how you do it.

of course machines aren't as good for compounds, it's better to do bench than machine press, better to use dumbells than bicep machine, but this is only because it trains more muscles with freeweights, it doesn't train the one group more than the other.
>>
>>36429294
SHOO SHOO
>>
Six years lifting. Here are a couple you probably haven't heard a million times before...

>Exercise variety is a very difficult balancing act

On one hand you should be working in as many different angles and planes of movement and whatnot as you can. This is a good way to stay flexible without having to spend 30 minutes stretching and shit every day. It also makes your overall strength transfer better from one exercise to another. In other words, if you're used to doing e.g. a lot of different bench press variations, you can hop on a bench at a new degree of inclination and still perform pretty well, compared to if you only ever did flat and 45 degree bench presses.
Changing up your exercises often also greatly reduces the risk of over-use injuries, which is VERY real. Especially if you like to go heavy i.e. regularly use loads @ 3RM or greater.

On the other hand, the more you keep changing things, the harder it is to adapt to what you are doing. And these adaptations are what you're after (strength, hypertrophy). Too much variety can also easily push you down the road to fuck-around-ville.

>Rows are NOT the best way to counter lots of bench pressing.

Rows are great, but behind-the-neck presses and snatches (and their variations) are more effective. This is because during these exercises you actually stretch all the muscles that have a tendency to become chronically shortened from too much chest work.
WARNING: You must first build the prerequisite shoulder mobility before you do these exercises or you'll just wreck yourself. But once you have it, these exercises will keep your shoulders safe and strong, while also developing the entire shoulder girdle better than pretty much any other combination of exercises. BTN presses and Power snatches are amazing for the upper back - much better than shrugs for example.
>>
>>36433465
>unclear guttural sound of sucking Ripp's benis
Excuse me, what?
>>
>>36427606
Dyel with shitty routine SPOTTED
>>
>>36433961
>behind-the-neck presses
Getting triggered.
>>
>>36434402
different guy, but could you expand a little why that's bad.

i'm just starting out lifting and today i did OHP's for the first time, getting the form down first with a lighter bar etc. when the trainer wanted to demonstrate for me, he tried to do it with the bar on his back, instead of on his chest, so i had to ask specifically for the front.did some OHP's as i'd known them after, did i dodge a bullet or something?
>>
>>36435762
Your shoulders aren't constructed to handle any significant load in that axis. Snapcity, one-way ticket free of charge.
>>
>>36435762
Its not at all bad, but you most likely don't have the proper mobility to perform one safely. Its not something you should worry about till you're an advanced lifter.
>>
>>36433343
DYEL spotted. no one knows the science behind it, but the machines actually do make you weaker.
>>
>>36438450
>no one knows the science behind it
It's the wisdom of our lifting ancestors, that was passed down to younger generations of /fit/ since the beginning of times.
>>
>>36427580
>avoid injury at all costs
>>
>>36427606
I'm DYEL and I have to use machines because no one wants to spot me
>>
>>36434402
>>36437359
Tell that to any weightlifter or any bodybuilder from 50 years ago.
Listen, telling the average trainee to avoid the behind-the-neck press is a good idea for the same reason that you don't tell him to go do snatch grip deadlifts from a deficit on his first day - nine out of ten people simply won't have the prerequisite mobility to perform these exercises safely and they'd snap their shit up.
HOWEVER once you DO have the mobility, the best thing you can do is actually USE that mobility. This will make you stay mobile and develop strength in these areas.

These are facts.
>>
>>36429294
subtle bait
>>
>deadhangs after after session

Particularly after squats and OHPing for that spinal decompression. Feels good man
>>
>>36429269
what does t dot mean
>>
>>36441622
transgender
>>
Don't lift for girls
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.