[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any nutritionist /fit/izens on right now? I think nutrition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: ISSN-Recomp-Nutritionist.jpg (72 KB, 961x528) Image search: [Google]
ISSN-Recomp-Nutritionist.jpg
72 KB, 961x528
Any nutritionist /fit/izens on right now?

I think nutrition is very interesting, and I'm considering it as a career.

Do you like your job?
What's the industry like?
Any advice for someone interested in entering the field?
etc?

I've always been interested in the idea that you could eat to help treat and prevent disease, growing up with obese, diabetic parents and a skin and bone auto-immune sibling.
>>
>>36426328
BUMP
>>
>>36426328
We have a B.Sc in nutrition and health working at my hospital. She feeds people who can't eat themselves, prepares special snacks/meals for the patients, and calculates their total energy needs and protein needs. Every once in a while she teach the nurses about a subject. From my perspective it looks like a boring ass job.
>>
>>36426328
you want to become a dietitian anon.

a nutritionist is a fake title.
>>
>>36427207
It certainly doesn't seem exciting, yeah. But it's something that I'm actually interested it. I eventually want to work my way into nursing, but I'd like to make more than minimum wage stocking shelves and taking pictures with kids in a bunny suit, first. (Pretty fun job, if you've got the patience and don't mind sweating constantly.)
>>36427218
Noted.
>>
I dunno about the US but in my shitty country, Nutrition is a shitty degree. From what I recall its a low paying job which is mostly sought by women. So yeah lots of qts but at the expense of lower income. Besides ,none of the male nutrionists at my uni gym had killer bodies or super strenght.
It might depend on the University, but I can assure you mine is the highest rated here.
>>
>>36428149
Yeah. They're not payed much for the most part.

The higher payed people either end up having to bullshit a lot, or have the connections to get high income clients. From what I understand.
But I'm still liking the idea, even though the pay isn't too much more than minimum wage. At least for a while.
>>
Anythig food or fitness related is shit pay and endlesa bullshitting unless you have high profile clients
>>
>>36426328
Almost got my bachelor's degree majoring in nutrition, not really sure where it will lead though. I'm very interested in it but unless I'm a world class researcher, I don't think there's much in the way of money or jobs there really. Might try and do my masters in dietetics. I'm thinking if this all falls through, I'll open up a nutritionally balanced hipster cafe, with macro friendly meals and prolly like a website I link to where I talk about each food and link to studies saying why it's healthy. Get lots of crossfit bitties in yoga pants and vegan faggots and stuff. Don't steal my idea.

Anyone got any good work being a dietician or sports nutritionist or anything?
>>
>>36426328
Search the archives. I remember a thread where a nutritionist was bitching about their job saying they feel completely useless because all they do is tell fatties to stop being fat and distribute nutritional advice easily found online.
>>
>>36428607
>Don't steal my idea

I was thinking of that, but as a bird themed bakery/coffee shop with a local whey hookup.
>>
>>36428607
Chef here.
I already had an idea to open a cafe of restaurant based with an enphasis on macros and shit.
The problem with all restaurants though is that you dont really make any money because of labour costs and rent. You do have a chance to get sort of famous if yourw good enough though
>>
>>36428607
Go to work for a large company. Most have wellness positions. Your job would be to help fatties lose weight to save on insurance costs
>>
>>36426328
Just do biochemistry or medicine, you'll have the knowledge of a nutritionist and be able to work
>>
>>36426328
DTR Here.
Was going to continue to be an RD, however, quit once I spent a large amount of time with an RD who works with sports teams in the Minnesota area (Vikings, etc.). Realized you get shit pay, work with older people 99% of the time, and you can tell someone how to eat but they won't do it. Switched my major to Physical therapy, sports medicine, and am working on my Phd currently.
>>
Yeah, have 4 friends who work as nutritionists, its basically 80% girls, most who have no idea what they're talking about even after their 3 year education.The job market is garbage, 2 of them have steady jobs, one in a hospital working with diabetics the other one is working for the largest foodchain in my country going around stores at customer meetings and talking nutrition. The other 2 havet got any fulltime jobs in their field yet(2 years after their graduation) One now works as a masseuse and part time nutritionist making recipes for a hippy spa that has a vegan restaurant and the other one went back to school and is not getting a nursing degree. (they're all attractive females)
>>
>>36431031
My cousin studied nutrition
She ended up working for the justice department and got married to a rich man
>>
In sweden a nutrition degree is a high education wich requires fairly good grades and will grant you a monthly income of 5k usd. However there is a low demand for them because of the high salary so most employs a dietist instead. Around 500 people is employed as nutrist and most of them within goverment, hospitales (working with eating disorders etc), and a few is employed by university to research the subject. The educatuon is 3 years and requires high level math, physics and chemistry grades to get applyed.
>>
Physiotherapist is the best /fit/ medical job.
>>
>>36426328
I'm an RD/dietitian. Pretty much what the other anon's mentioned here is quite accurate, females make like 99% of the workforce and theres not a lot of jobs out there for us. We're relevant where i'm at when it comes to clinical based work thats for sure, but again its not an essential role vs say nursing or MO's.

Weight loss is one of the major things you do for less acute clients, but if you land a clinical job your work in clinic is more on the elderly and them getting potentially malnourished. That and a range of stuff including abnormal biochem, newly diagnosed diabetes and all its issues, some heart disease stuff, and renal disease/failure.

My advice if you're considering it is only do it if you're 100% invested in the job and can endure the likelihood that theres a 50-50 chance you wont be able to practice your profession. A lot of my colleagues have retrained in other fields. In a way i'm lucky cz my bachelor degree works well with my dietetic degree and i'm always able to fall back on that if i need to. Also you really need to find a niche in this industry, having just the degree means squat all if you got no experience/additional expertise

But overal yea i like my job. Just wish we had more funding for more positions tho.
>>
Since we're on the nutrition topic, does anyone here have the super protein pancake recipe picture?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.