[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is "starvation mode" actually a thing? I'm at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 640x1136
Is "starvation mode" actually a thing?
I'm at 26.4 BMI, closing in on that golden normal, but my family keeps telling me after I don't eat lunch or breakfast that my body will go into starvation mode and store more weight as fat. Are they wrong or right?
>>
>>36423876

It's probably real if you don't eat for a very long time relative to how long you normally go without food.

If you skip a meal, probably not.
>>
>>36423876
Your family sounds fat as fuck, so I imagine they believe that they'll go into starvation mode if they spend 30 minutes not snacking.
>>
>>36423876
they're wrong, normies have a habit of falling for that shit ("oh, i'm only fat because i miss breakfast that makes sense!"). "starvation mode" only really happens after about 48 hours without food, our bodies are accustomed to having slight fluctuations in food supply
>>
>>36423894
So two meals a day is fine, but not one a day and a snack later?
>>
File: 1457384935697.png (593 KB, 981x1300) Image search: [Google]
1457384935697.png
593 KB, 981x1300
>>36423930
>literacy
>>
>>36423922
on top of that i think true "starvation mode" happens after almost a week of no food.
>>
THEY'RE WROOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG READ THE FUCKING STICKY= CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT
OH YEAH, I REMEMBER ALL THOSE JEWS IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS, THEY WERE SO FAT FROM STARVATION MODE!
Learn basic physics you dingus
>>
File: 1457420099536.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1457420099536.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>36423876
"starvation mode" only occurs if you fast for 3 days mate.

Any fasting for less than 24 hours is perfectly natural. Hugh Jackman did a 16/8 fast to get ready for Wolverine.
>>
>>36423876
your family is retarded. kill them
>>
>>36423946
Ah shit, I meant one a day isn't and a snack is, please be gentle.
>>36423957
If that's true I don't even need the snack. Thanks /fit/, I needed the help a lot.
>>
>>36423981
and by starvation mode I mean your body draws on both muscle mass and fat stores, instead of just fat stores to power your brain.
>>
File: 32dff.jpg (34 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
32dff.jpg
34 KB, 600x594
That's soccer-mom logic.

There is such a phenomenon called adaptive thermogenesis, whereby people's TDEE after weight loss is lower in comparison to other people of the same weight who have been lean and it's related to leptin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/

Read that to see what causes it and how it plays out.

Day-to-day, "starvation mode" is a misnomer that smells of fat people's last-ditched excuses and you're best off ignoring it.

Worry about total caloric intake per day and feel free to take even a day or a week of eating at maintenance to keep your hormones in check and continue successfully losing the weight.

>Your family would send me to a therapist for having this as a meal
>>
I eat all of my daily calories in a 1 hour window. I've lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks doing this, and my arms have grown .5 inches, so I don't believe the whole starvation meme.
>>
>>36423997
i would suggest eating throughout the day so you're not hungry which is helpful for a variety of reasons (you're not pissed off or irritable, and you won't binge on your meal)
>>
Follow-up question: does being somewhat hungry harm gainz?
>>
>>36424074
i mean you don't have as much energy while working out? not getting enough macros every day harms gains, the physical feeling of being hungry only makes it harder to lift
>>
Your parents are fucking retarded but so are mine. First it was atkins now its gluten free.
>>
>>36424083
I see, so I should be fine. Thanksies.
>>
>>36423876
why are you still trying to lose weight at 26.4 BMI?

do you have no muscles left from your permabulk?
>>
>>36423876

Your metabolism will drop if you wait too long after your last meal to eat again. This ranges from between 20 hours to 30 hours after your last meal. From roughly 12 hours to 20~30 hours after your last meal your metabolism actually goes up, cool right?

Short answer: Skipping breakfast is not harmful whatsoever, thats probably 10 hours after your last meal.

>>36424074
Hunger is a hormonal response, similar to fear, or sexual desires. We don't let other emotions govern our lives so I try not to let hunger govern mine either. It's a general indicator at best
>>
>>36423876
I think you're misusing the word "Starving". Fasting is completely normal and sometimes a good way to cut for beginners (Who are still addicted to sugar/unhealthy food). When I was cutting, I only ate in a 4-5 hour window before and after the gym. I dont know what kind of nutrition and bioscience phd your family has, but I have a feeling they dont know what their talking about.
>>
>>36424015
I'd be alarmed if my son was eating poop regardless of weight.
>>
>>36423876
It's real. It's a survival mechanism and I don't see how you'd trigger it if you're eating daily. Your body will use an alternate source of energy in the absence of a regular food intake. That won't happen if you skip a meal or two.
>>
>>36424242
Could I eat something light at about the 19-20 hour mark to forestall the metabolism loss?
>>
>>36424074
>>36424074
Not at all.

The first hunger pang is usually from depleted liver glycogen, have a carrot or half a small piece of fruit to replenish it
>>
>baby's first trig class
>>
>>36423964
Well duh, what starvation mode is is saying the body expends less energy, so you need less calories to survive, Not muh trigger warning HAES shit
>>
>>36423876

As has been said, no. Starvation mode won't kick in. It is likely that not eating breakfast may cause you to gorge on lunch, defeating the purpose of skipping the meal. Just have a granola bar or something at 10ish to tide you over to lunch and you'll be fine.
>>
>>36423876
I N T E R M I T T E N T F A S T I N G

Seriously lose at least 1 pound a month. Its easier for me 'cause lol adhd meds working as diet suppressant but still, shit works.
>>
File: nofaec.jpg (146 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
nofaec.jpg
146 KB, 640x1136
>>36424824
*1 pound / week

Lost a total of 15 pounds over 4 months (since I started lifting), all my lifts have gone up.

Pic because I don't believe in making claims without showing what you look like
>>
File: 429162148.jpg (41 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
429162148.jpg
41 KB, 720x439
>>36423876
I was fat and had a break between losing weight.
Both times, after ~5 weeks the weight loss would suddenly stop UNTIL i added one day where i ate at maintenance.
I actually hate that i had to do it, because it sounds so brosciency, but it fixed it both times.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.