[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to build muscle doing nothing except push-ups,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: anime image.jpg (14 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
anime image.jpg
14 KB, 480x480
Is it possible to build muscle doing nothing except push-ups, sit-ups, and jumping jacks? No weights/equipment.

That + protein shakes and lots of food.
>>
you'd need a better bodyweight routine than that
>>
>>36416022
technically yes, but fuck you anyway
>>
If so, how many would I have to do a day to actually build muscle.
>>
>>36416022

as long as you're drinking protein shakes yes you'll be fine. just make sure to drink lots of them though.
>>
stop buying internet, pay for gym

mebbe
>>
>>36416022
Instead of buying protein powder, get a gym membership, problem solved
>>
>>36416063
>>36416164
I have too much anxiety to go to the gym. Right now I'm a scrawny little bitch anyway and probably wouldn't be able to use most of the equipment or would get laughed at because I don't know how to use it.

Maybe I'll go to the gym once I gain muscle.
>>
>>36416397
you will never be /fit/.

think about the fact that i saw fat 50 something year old women today that have courage you don't.
>>
>>36416397
You won't gain any noticeable muscle doing that. Stop being an autist and go to the gym
>>
Buy one of those doorway pull up bars and you should be set
>>
>>36416397
No go to the gym, you will not make progress at home
>>
>>36416397

i was skinnyfat and full of inferiority complex and social anxiety when i first went to the gym

ended up loving it too much, stayed, gained confidence and strength

also i stopped making excuses and blaming my choices on "muh anxiety"
>>
>>36416397
You will never even make it to starting level. That's a new level of not making it.
>>
>>36416397
srsly.

You know what I think of noobies at the gym? Nothing. I don't give a shit. If you want me to spot or give advice, sure, I'll give it to you. I'm not sure why you care about other's opinions at the gym. Literally everybody started small.
>>
>>36416430
This
Why isn't the pull up considered next to the squat deadlift bench and ohp in the hierarchy of lifts
>>
>>36416397
being around people will make you more comfortable, and help treat your anxiety.

one of the therapy treatments I had was going out in public and interacting with people.

it sucks, but it sucks a hell of a lot less than being alone and mired in pity.
>>
>>36416397
Dude I was bench pressing 15 pound dumbbells because everything else was too heavy for me, I was doing body weight squats with 10 reps and felt like my legs were going give out on me, I was dying doing 10 pound shoulder presses. I was the weakest most beta male imaginable. The guys here who say they don't laugh at noobs would have laughed at me. Today I'm almost at one plate on my bench just go to the gym and don't give a fuck your only goal is to lift what you can and the next time you go in there try and do better.
>>
>>36416397
literally every other person there has gone through/is going through what you are, so why be so anxious
It's a rite of passage, prove to everyone there that you can commit
>>
>>36416397
shut up phil.
>>
>>36416397
thought the same before i went,but guess what,no one gives a fuck what you're doing,everyone focuses on themselves
>>
>>36416994
This
When in doubt fake it till you make it
Most people respect results but everyone respects effort
If you go into the gym and work your ass off poeple will leave you alone gym bullies are fucking bullshit meme
>>
File: dirt.png (191 KB, 702x925) Image search: [Google]
dirt.png
191 KB, 702x925
>>36416397
>I would get laughed at
>I have too much anxiety
>Maybe I'll start lifting once I gain muscle
Fucking moron. You go to the gym for you, not them. Learn by doing.
>>
>>36416397
Bodyweight exercises as a lightweight baby isn't going to get you sufficient gains. Calisthenics work best on taller mesomorphs and ectomorphs with moderate to heavier muscle. Buy some weights, lift water, go swim; but the main thing you need to do is eat fucking big, take 4 scoops, and outdo everything. Then bodyweight exercises will really become useful. That or grow a fucking spine and go to the gym.
>>
>>36417096
Perhaps I could just lift heavy shit around my house? I have a really heavy CRT TV.

Right now I can do about 20 push ups in a row, and I feel like I'm really pushing myself by the end of that, but I don't feel any kind of burning or soreness in my muscles afterward, I don't really "feel" the muscle tearing.

I'm taking 30g of protein powder after workout, which is right now about 50 push ups, 50 sit ups, and 100 jumping jacks.

Maybe it will do something, I'll see I guess, that is if I can keep up the motivation to keep doing it.
>>
>>36416397
never gonna make it

sigh
>>
>>36417208
Have you considered a home gym, or just going to a gym during dead hours?

What you're doing now is probably better than nothing, but you certainly won't be strong.

Don't bother with the CRT.
>>
>>36416022
if you want to do bodyweight, you NEED a place to do pullups (and a place to do inverted rows, but even if your house/appartment had no other furniture, you could do those with towels hanging from a pullup bar.)

reddit/bodyweightfitness

do the recommended routine. don't waste your money on protein shakes, buy a pullup bar from the money.

>>36416397
bitch
>>
>>36417271
>Have you considered a home gym

No money or room for that. I have considered buying a doorway push up bar and maybe something else.

Yeah I tried lifting the CRT, it's heavy but it's just far too awkward to lift, not because of the weight but it's shape/size.

I do in fact have one barbel here and some weights. It's 29lbs total, I lifted it with both hands 25 times (idk what the correct terminology is here), which is about when I started to get tired. I did feel some after burn/numbness in my arms after that.
>>
>>36417318
dumbell*
>>
Need to do pull-ups. Use variations for push ups and squats to make them harder. Consider wearing a backpack full of heavy-ass textbooks or just rocks to add weight during your exercises.

A body weight routine without pull-ups is useless. Any routine without progression is useless.
>>
>>36417414
>Consider wearing a backpack full of heavy-ass textbooks or just rocks to add weight during your exercises.

This is a really good tip, I should have thought of this. I think I would benefit more from less push-ups with a lot of weight added, than many push-ups with weight.

Also yeah, I'm gonna buy a doorway pull-up bar. We used to have one in the house, I would occasionally use it.
>>
>>36417318
>Yeah I tried lifting the CRT
Why don't you try squatting with your fridge next?
>>
File: 1457559415490.gif (536 KB, 381x512) Image search: [Google]
1457559415490.gif
536 KB, 381x512
>>36416034
>this advice
End yourself
>>
It *can* be done, but I guarantee you will make next to no progress and still look like utter shit. To have any success, the only way to progress would be by getting fatter every time you need to increase the weight, and even then it would take a extremely long time before making noticable gains, and then being able to cut down and look decent
>>
>>36416397
fucking listen:

i'm you, i'm skeleton as fuck and just started going to the gym since last week. you know what?
no one cares. they're there to work out, not judge others. compared to the morbidly obese and new years resolutioners, being a skeleton is perfectly normal to see.

just go in there and do your routine, no one is going to "laugh" at you, everyone started somewhere.

if you're that selfconscious, pick a smaller gym.
>>
>>36416397
>wouldn't be able to use most of the equipment or would get laughed at because I don't know how to use it

First of all, this doesn't happen irl
Second, I would hope that you would have the maturity to deal with someone being that big of an asshole
Third, even if you were too embarrassed to call them out for being a dick, I would expect someone else to intervene on your behalf

There are definitely assholes there, myself included, but everybody started somewhere and we're all there for the same reason. Don't be afraid to go to the gym.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.