[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /fit/ 100% noob Gym goer here. I've kinda read the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: stop this is gay macro.png (74 KB, 534x481) Image search: [Google]
stop this is gay macro.png
74 KB, 534x481
Dear /fit/
100% noob Gym goer here.
I've kinda read the sticky stuff so I know I'm going to get shit for this, but I'm gonna ask for help anyway.

Just got back from the Gym, its like the 4th time I've gone, and the first time I've remembered to actually note down what I'm doing.
All of the stuff I did was machine stuff, because I'm a fat fuck with leg problems and I'm afraid to actually use the free weights.
I decided to test my limits on the machines and I killed myself.
What I got was
Warmup 10 minutes Cycling
Leg Press, 125lb, 15 reps, Then tried to do my weight, 230lb, one set of 5 reps, one set of 10 reps
Converging Chest Press: 115lb, 10, 6 and 2
Lateral raise: 90lb, 10, 10 and 6
Seated Leg Curl: 100lb, 10, 10 and 10just
Arm Curls: 90lb, 5 noped out. 60lb 10 and 10
Ab Crunch: 70lb, 20, 20 and 20.

I know its not a good work out and everything, and I think I'm using the ab crunch machine wrong.

Anyway, I'm asking for general advice.
From what I've put, what weights do you think I should be trying to lift on actual weights?
Should I keep using machines till I stop being so scrub tier?
Was trying to leg press my actual body weight a really stupid thing to do?
Also what kind of picture should I be using to start threads?
>>
>>36408027
READ THE WHOLE STICKY FAG WERE NOT HERE TO REGURGITATE INFORMATION RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU YOU FAT FUCK.
>>
>>36408037
that's nice.
>>
The starting strength wiki says that to find your starting weights, you keep loading the bar and doing some reps until the weight starts to "slow down." Thats the weight you start with and you add to it from there.

Machines suck total ass compared to compound barbell lifts. Replace them as soon as you can.

You should probably consult a doctor about your leg problems before lifting though. Squats and deadlifts are great exercises but some people just can't do them due to preexisting injuries.
>>
>>36408027
Fucking lol.

>bodyweight leg press
Absolutely hilarious
>>
>need to ask retards on th Internet for advice when reputable information is right of front of you.
>can't be asset to learn basics
>making it
>>
>>36408075
I've got a nerve problem in my legs and partially my hands, they're constantly numb on the skin.
I should, in theory, be perfectly fine to do Squats and deadlifts, but ever since it happened I'm not so sure of my balance so...

>>36408076
It was my sisters idea.
>Going to the gym with your sister

>>36408091
I gave up on education 10 years ago, I find it easier to ask people who should know for help.
>>
>>36408027
Leg pressing your actual body weight wasn't a great idea.

Use the free weights and work your way up. Using the machines isn't the same. You don't use the same range of motion and muscles that you use for balance like your rotator cuff get less work on machines. The end result of this is that when you finally start using free weights, it's weak and can fit fucked up much more easily.

Start low on the free weights. Machines are way easier. For example, I OHP 115 on free weights but 115 on each arm on the machine.

Don't be concerned with what you might look like benching the bar or whatever. You'll look even worse if you snap your shit up.
>>
>>36408105
>gave up on education
Are you literally retarded
>>
>>36408127
Is it worth while to hire out one of the trainers to learn proper lifting technique, or should I just ask some of the guys around the place?

>>36408153
yeah, I got to uni and I was like, I straight up don't want to do this anymore.
And that's when Depression started.
>>
>>36408105
I go to the gym with my sister too. No shame.

Do you know the cause of the numbness in your hands and knees? Because I think that's a sign of diabetes or sumptin' Don't be scaring me now baby boy.
>>
>>36408127
Not that anon.

Also a gym newbie here (Not fat).
What about weighted ab crunches? Can it compare to actual crunches? What would you recommend starting out with? My guide said to do
>10 min cradio warmup
>3 sets of 15 reps of strength workout in two different parts
>10 minutes of cardio
>3 sets of 15 reps for another two body parts
>10 minutes of rowing

I've been feeling really good and healthy and I feel my body fat is going down while I feel stronger. They give you dietary tips and they help you set up your routine. It all seems very professional and it seems to work, I don't see any regulars that are fat/manlets/skellingtons.

But it's not what /fit/ recommends at all. Strange.
Or maybe it makes sense? Help me out here familias.
>>
>>36408105
It's hilarious because even the weakest fuck should be able to do like 800 on a leg press.
>>
>>36408171
"Worth it" is entirely subjective. Personally, I don't think it is, but I have no issue researching form and starting with just the bar when I know I can do more. You seem to have an issue with that, or else you wouldn't have tried leg pressing your own weight...
>>
>>36408186
Not if you do it properly. (Keep tension on the plates, don't stretch your legs fully and hold the weight a second before doing the next rep)
>>
>>36408171
Nigga it's learning basic fitness and like 20 minutes reading max. If you can't handle that you are mentally fucked as a person
>>
>>36408201
Why do you say "do it properly" like it's some kind of mystical fucking secret

It's leg press, shit is literally the easiest
>>
>>36408178
I'm hardly knowledgeable about routines, m8. I'd love to help you out but I simply don't have the knowledge base. You may want to check out one of trappys threads for that, he's much more knowledgeable than I.

Abs get a lot of disagreement on /fit/. Some people say that all you need are heavy deadlifts, some people say they need isolation. For what it's worth, I do both.
>>
>>36408176
Vitamin b12 deficiency, caused me to become anaemic, which led to peripheral neuropathy, which is basically nerve death.
a Sudden and sharp does of B12 stopped it, but the damage it did seems to be perminant.
Fun Fact, I only had that deficiency because my GP put me on a diet. Fuck that stupid bitch forever.

>>36408196
I'm just being lazy. I've actually watched videos on how to properly do Squats and I've practiced it at home, and fell over. But I got better with practice.
>>
>>36408227
It's not magical but if you do it wrong it can seem easy, while it can actually be quite hard if you do it the right way.

>>36408235
Thanks. I don't do deadlifts yet. I'll wait until my core is more developed. I only just started working out and I don't want to get any injuries.
>>
>>36408246
>b12 deficiency
Literally in chicken, eggs etc. It's like you're not even on a high protein diet. What the fuck, senpai?
>>
>>36408246
Now you're really fucking me up. I'm mildly anemic myself. I take a multivitamin everyday though. I guess that should keep my vitamin b levels up.

Any advice I should know about not letting anemia fuck me up?
>>
>>36408249
>guy so fucking fresh he still has an umbilical cord
>doesn't deadlift
>thinks he can tell anyone anything

Lol gtfo dude you know literally nothing and you lift even less
>>
>>36408246
I think it's actually a lot easier to have proper form if you have a bar and some weight than if you're doing it with nothing. Start with 95 (bar plus 2 25 plates) and go from there.

Also don't do the lateral raise machine, that shit sucks. Just use dumbells. You can use dumbells for bench too if you're worried about failing a rep and getting stuck under the bar
>>
>>36408291
I may not lift a lot, but trust me I like doing my research. I only started lifting because of all the benefits to my overall health. I'm a fucking nerd. But yeah, don't take any advice from me. These are just my observations.
>>
File: tarkin.png (427 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
tarkin.png
427 KB, 640x427
>>36408218
this desu senpai
>>
>>36408246
>I've practiced it at home, and fell over.

It's really hard to do with no weight. I can't warm-up with just the bar because I lose balance. Have to warm up with 95lbs or more.
>>
>>36408186
You're probably forgetting what untrained people are really (in)capable of
>>
>>36408307
NEEEEEEERRRRDDD
>>
>>36408027
how does a bodyweigh legpress even work?
>>
>>36408273
Shit happened 5 years ago.
My Doctor gave me a thing which basically cut out everything good for lifting.

>>36408288
The B12 thing only happened because I had 0 B12 count, which isn't supposed to be possible. Its in lots of things though, just look up a list of foods that contain B12 and eat it at least once a week.
Myself, my breakfast is a bowl of cerial which has loads in it, I never want this shit to happen again because I legit thought I was going to die. The pain it caused spreads slowly too, so it started out in the feet, then went up the legs. It was almost at groin level before I got an actual diagnosis.
Now everything below the knee is numb, could you imagine what that shit would have been like if it had taken a week more?

>>36408299
I got some Dumbels at home, two shitty little 5KG ones that I work out with when I'm too shy to go to the gym.
I used them to balance for squats, still fell over, felt like I looked like an idiot.

>>36408337
Very Slowly.
I weigh 230lbs of mostly fat, so I set the leg press machine to 230lbs.
I mean, I should be able to do that rite? I do it every day. Logic.
>>
>>36408368
>I weigh 230lbs of mostly fat, so I set the leg press machine to 230lbs.
I mean, I should be able to do that rite? I do it every day.

It doesn't work like that
>>
>>36408333
At least I'm smart. :^)
And 6'3" :^)
And 7/10 while skellington. :^)
>>
>>36408400
I could actually do it though.
With Proper technique as described here
>>36408201
I'm not sure if I should be worried about this or not, my Legs feel the least fucked from this gym session.
>>
>>36408435
You'll be fine as long as you don't stretch your legs fully/lock your knees.

This is what happens if you fuck up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkf7HP2-pr8
>>
>>36408542
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
I'm very careful with that shit cause I've already got enough leg problems.
>>
>>36408368
Adding a bar and weight to your upper back changes your center of gravity. I promise you it will be easier with more weight in non dumbell form. Also it might take a week or so of practice sets but your body will learn the motion and it will become second nature
>>
>>36408653
I'll have to do some research on proper form for other types of lifting as well for next time I'm down the gym.
I'll have to talk my sister into lifting weights too, or else I'm gonna feel even more stupid.
>>
>>36408178
There's no actual reason to do cardio in chunks like that, and if you wanna get strong you're gonna need to be moving more volume than that and you're gonna need to do more than 2 lifts. I'd say that routine is pretty bad, I'm not doubting that it will give you some good short term results, and It's a decent place to start if you're fat as fatass, but SS + accessories and cardio on off days will give you much better results.

As far as abs go, I would continue doing weighted crunches, people will tell you that doing your compounds is enough core work, but I say if you have the time and the ability to do some ab isolations, it's certainly not going to hurt anything.
>>
>>36408412
I'm smart
And 6'4"
And 8/10

Don't be mad because you're as a manlet before my glory
>>
>>36408127
This
>Pick up 15lb DBs, lift them.
>Then pick up 20lb DBs, and lift them
>Keep doing this till you find your limit
Also, who dat semen demon
>>
>>36408819
I have a little body fat in my butt and belly, but I'm not fat by any standard. Maybe on the high end of the average side. Not obese by any stretch.
>>
>>36408027
Download the SL 5x5 app OP. Go 3 times a week and just do what it says to do. Download MyFitnessPal and count calories religiously making sure you hit your protein goal and are either a little under your maintenance calories or a little above depending on whether you are a fatass or a skellington. Make sure you sleep 8+hrs a night.

After about 6-9 months when you have a good muscle base on the main lifts and kind of know what you're doing switch to a PPL routine.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.