[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running General: /run/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 22
File: geese versus runner.jpg (38 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
geese versus runner.jpg
38 KB, 500x356
Last thread was great, lets keep it going!
>>36371642

Post your routines, shoes, music, times, diet, injuries, recovery, cardio bunnies, or tips.
>>
Never had a training injury, other than minor aches.

Just got a severe calf tear, 0 use for two weeks, 0 training for at least 3 more weeks, light rehab.

Fuck, calf is so bad I can barely walk without support.
>>
File: lolo jones 43.jpg (64 KB, 600x898) Image search: [Google]
lolo jones 43.jpg
64 KB, 600x898
>tfw no olympic level mulatto running partner who's saving herself for marriage

.>>36406632
I had an old calf injury from muay thai and I messed it up bad when I started to run. I can't sprint but did some light therapy too and just go for long distance runs now.
>>
>>36406575
I fucking hate geese, their wings can break bones, still not as bad as swans tho
>>
>>36406666
>still being a virgin at 33
She should have gotten married a decade ago t bh, nice quads tho
>>
Is it true that shoes can have too much dampning? I have pic related and I dont really know how I feel about them. I really never really liked running but when I put these shoes on its basically just hurting all the time

>shoes tied too hard
Feet hurt instantly
>After 4-5 kms
Feet feel like Im running on huge blood balls

Cost me like 150$
>>
>>36406746
>>shoes tied too hard
>Feet hurt instantly

Don't tie your shoes so tight... is this seriously a problem you have and couldn't solve on your own?
>>
>>36406808
Yeah because then they feel like big blood balls instead or my shins hurt instead
>>
>>36406575

i have to run on a fucking treadmill. my knees are prone to giving out. i can only run uphill...
>>
File: puma faas 300 v4.jpg (37 KB, 614x372) Image search: [Google]
puma faas 300 v4.jpg
37 KB, 614x372
>>36406746
Stop wearing them and get shoes with a little less cushion. My shoes fit too tight also. I had a pair of Brooks Pure Cadence 2s and my feet would hurt after 3 miles.

Then I bough some Puma Faas 300 shoes and my form was so much better. I had better contact with the ground and not that clunky feel with the Brooks.
>>
>>36406666
>muh purity
>muh sexual insecurity

So tired of you scared neckbeards.
>>
File: darwinchuckled.jpg (45 KB, 620x407) Image search: [Google]
darwinchuckled.jpg
45 KB, 620x407
>>36406990
>so nervous that one day men might refuse to marry me or spend money on me because I'm not a virgin
>>
>>36406911
You've got shitty form and the wrong shoes, I would bet.

Be really hard on yourself about form and go to a running store that will find the right kind of show for you. I bet you have very small arches and need something more flat footed.
>>
>>36406924
>my knees are blown out
>can only run uphill.

You wat...? Unless you're built like an ostrich you're a bit silly mate. Running up hill kills knees. Running with shit form also kills knees.

You wat...?
>>
What are your running goals?
I almost breached the 5k under 20min mark, but don't really know what to strive for next, maybe 10k in 40min. But I also don't want it to intervene to much with lifting, because I'm also closing in on a 3pl8 bench.
>>
>>36406575
5k's Monday through Thursday. 10+ Saturday. Was thinking about going up to 10's M-F this week and taking the weekend off.

Building up to half marathon but keep hitting a wall around 8-9 miles where some tendons/ligaments start to feel funny. Stop out of fear of tearing my shit up. Anyone know anything that might help my hip flexor and knee stay strong throughout the run? I dunno if my shits just weak or what.

Diet consists of lots of peanut butter, bread, chicken, trail mix, broccoli, coffee.

Also, anyone have any good suggestions for podcasts? They seem to be the best to listen to during the run but a have trouble finding good ones.

Shoes: been running on brooks ghost series for 4 years, best shoes I've ever owned
>>
>>36407077
Even my 50 year old father still runs a 16:30 5k senpai, I'd recommend focusing on that until you're close to that time
>>
>>36407124
Would also be interested in good podcasts
>>
>>36407155
Fuark 16:30 5k, that's impressive. I'll problably need to lose some weight to even come near that.
>>
>>36407178
>lose some weight
Should be priority #1, any unnecessary weight is going to put a lot of extra strain on your joints and feet
>>
I want to start running but every time i try i get out of breath plus pain in my side after the first 100 meters so that always depresses me as fuck. I tried many time now, and i am not getting better at all.
What am i doing wrong?
>>
>>36407227
b-but I'll lose muscle mass, desu I could lose some weight but really not that much without fucking with strenght gains.
>>
>>36407253
Unless you retardcut and eat nothing but a piece of celery a day you shouldn't lose almost any strength while cutting, the only thing is you probably won't gain much strength until your cut is finished(I've put weight on my max squat and bench while cutting tho)
>>
>>36407253
Desu means "it is" please stop being a fucking idiot.
>>
>>36406575
Has anybody been lifting and running for a long time?

For years after college I would lift 3 times a week, and mix in 2 x 5-7 mile runs and one day of sprints on the off days. I was 6'3 205lbs and started having serious pain in my right knee and left foot. I blamed over use and dropped long distances.

I am so tempted to push it again but I'm afraid of grinding my knees into dust. Does anyone have experience or know anybody who lifts heavy and runs?

TLDR How do I protect my knees if I am lifting and running regularly?
>>
File: yTPqBkh.png (89 KB, 265x285) Image search: [Google]
yTPqBkh.png
89 KB, 265x285
plz help

what do i do about a family that thinks i drink nothing but protein shakes and run 20 miles a day?

they're all fatasses and have never exercised in their lives.

>tfw completely serious

i just don't understand how people can be this retarded
>>
>>36407124
Listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, and Common Sense podcasts. Also Sam Harris's Waking Up
>>
>>36407338
Explain it to them. Would they be open to doing your diet for a week?
>>
>>36407327
bike instead of running. literally the only way
>>
>>36407327
Before you get back into running do leg presses and various leg strength exercises. It will make your knees more durable to the stress.
Go above body weight at high volume if you can.
>>
>>36407352
absolutely not, that would require them to experience the agonizing starvation that a small caloric deficit induces (currently in cut mode)

they want me to be hospitalized and given psych meds
>>
>>36406924

i fucked up my knees snowboarding as a teenager. i don't know what it is, i can't run or jog on a flat surface or my right knee seems to just give out. if i'm going uphill i have no issues. i can run on a treadmill all day with a steep incline without issue. put it flat and i'm fucked.
>>
>>36406990
fuck off back to tumblr then cuck
>>
>>36407355
>>36407358
Thanks senpaitachi
>>
>>36406575
Should i drop weight lifting entirely if i want to improve my beep test in a month?
>>
>>36407163
>>36407124

For music? My go to is Group Therapy; great if you're into techno / trance and want a longer podcast (2 hrs).

For content? The Starters (NBA) is pretty great; their Friday podcasts are definitely worth checking out and long (1 1/2 hr). The weekday stuff is hit or miss.

Honorable mentions:
NPR Fresh Air
Radiolab
Star Talk
>>
>>36407509
No problem senpai
Take it gradually though
If your knees start hurting you should dial down weight or reps.
>>
>>36407570
Anyone?
>>
>>36407573
Radiolab is God tier. You would also like freakanomics.
>>
I managed to run 5km in 40 minutes yesterday for the first time after nearly 3 weeks of running and I was pretty proud of myself.

I want to run a marathon or a half marathon but the problem is I don't want to spend more than 30 minutes running per day, and a marathon at that speed would take me around 5+ hours. What do?

I do strength training every 2 days and I spend maybe 2 hours each time, with 30 minutes on cardio/running between strength trainings. I like running but I just don't want to spend that long on it so I'm mainly choosing to focus on upping my speed rather than distance.
>>
>>36407341
1. Dan Carlin is awesome

2. How the fuck can you run with a phone? If I can't put something on my hydration belt (Nathan 2x 10 oz), then I don't pack it. That is why I love my iPod shuffle. I just throw on a few songs and I am light weight and good to go.
>>
File: Heritage.jpg (56 KB, 633x360) Image search: [Google]
Heritage.jpg
56 KB, 633x360
>>36406990
I wonder why men don't want to marry sluts.
>>
>>36407777
nice quads. Keep running and step up your time or distance as and when you feel like it, thats what i did anyway.
>>
>>36407777
This might be a popular opinion among seasoned runner, but why do you want to run a race (like a marathon) just to finish it? A lot of good runners spent many years in middle and high school racing 3ks, 5ks, 8ks, and 10ks before they attempt a marathon.

You're just a newbie who is trying not to get injured. Running a marathon shouldn't be your next step or goal for a couple of years. Why don't you focus on getting your 5k down to as low as you can?

Using this website...

http://www.heartbreakhill.org/age_graded.htm

Assuming you are 30 years old with a 5k time of 50 minutes, you are in the 32 percentile. That is really low. Work on getting that down to 25 minutes, and then you will be in the 50th percentile (dead average).

There are a lot of benefits for you to do this. Long distance running requires a lot of time and does a lot of damage to your body if you don't have a huge running base already. By focusing on the 5k, you can do shorter workouts with higher intensity (this is a good thing).

tl;dr, don't do a marathon until your 5k time is around 25 minutes. Your body will thank me for it.
>>
>>36407851
Maybe because all the religious nutjobs in the US? They dont have sex before marrige and they dont get divorced as often.
>>
>>36407833
I have pockets. When I sprint, I hold my phone. Same as I do with a water bottle.
>>
>>36408330
Doesn't it feel weird to have something bouncing around in your pocket? And the last thing that I want to do when I run is to hold anything in my hands. What is your 5k time?
>>
>>36407248
Go slow. Really really slow, get your body used to the rhythm before the speed
>>
>>36407248
How much do you weigh? I am 150 lbs. It is a lot easier to run long distance when you are skinny AF.

Also, a lot of c25k programs have you do a combination of running and walking. On days when I do really fast intervals, I walk in between sets for a quick recovery, then I work myself up to a jog to prepare for the next speed set. Planned walks are also a good strategy.

Just follow a c25k program, and you will be just fine unless you are morbidly obese.
>>
>>36407077

You are just above average.

I am personally aiming for 18:00 5k, and my PR is a 19:04. However, I hit that while running a 10k a couple of weeks ago, so I think I am on track for this season. I would personally be very happy, as a triathlete, to be in the 70th percentile of runners.
>>
>>36408151
>They dont have sex before marrige
And that's a bad thing? A lock opened by many keys is a shitty lock.
>>
>>36408489
>And that's a bad thing? A lock opened by many keys is a shitty lock.

Is this /r9k/ or /fit/? I thought we were talking about running.
>>
Anyone else using zero-drop shoes? I've been using the Merrel Trail Glove for a while now, and I'm kinda worried about lack of cushioning on pavement. I would switch, but I used to get terrible shin splints with conventional shoes, and for whatever reason these seemed to help.
>>
>>36407886
>but why do you want to run a race (like a marathon) just to finish it?
Literally just for that reason; to finish it. I understand some people are into competitive running but for me it's just about setting an arbitrary goal and accomplishing it. One of mine happens to be a marathon.

>tl;dr, don't do a marathon until your 5k time is around 25 minutes.
Fair, that'd fit with what I'm currently doing perfectly, cheers.

>>36407860
Right on
>>
Is there anyone in here running who isn't less than 80 kg or some shit? I'm 115 kg right now (not fat) and running was pretty disgusting, as expected, up until a few weeks ago when I didn't stop it no matter how bad it was. Now I can run a few kilometres without stopping, recovery afterwards is quick and the whole process isn't that painful. But I don't know anyone who's heavy and running. Don't really know how that works generally, aside from blatant failure. I used to run 10k daily or almost daily when I was 85 kg and it was pretty easy.
>>
>>36406575/
I'm running my first marathon this fall, any advice?
>>
>>36408357
I wear fairly loose shorts so no, not really. I've ran with a water bottle when I started running since it gets very hot here and I started running in the summer.
Somewhere around 20 minutes but be aware I do boxing roadwork so I sprint about 1k cumulatively (every 5 laps on my track is 1k and every 5th lap I near-sprint rather than jog).
>>
>>36407570
>>36407709
I wouldn't,

Weight lifting builds and maintains muscle that will help your legs. You might not want to be destroying yourself on weights, but I would definitely keep it up.
>>
>>36409878
Do you have a good running base?
>>
>>36408151
It's a lifestyle and attitude and personality thing. It isn't entirely about being a "religious nutjob" as you put it. When you think of someone you want to settle down with and raise children with you don't turn to the party girl who got a barely got a business degree and insists her sorority sisters are her life. You turn to the dedicated one who has been working on an advanced degree, works out a lot, isn't distracted by partying and has perused real success in her life.

When you think about who you want to raise your children, would you rather have the one whose good in bed, or the one who responsible and controls herself, knowing when to have a good time and when to focus on her work?
>>
>>36408761
>Literally just for that reason; to finish it.

Thank you for subsidizing the sport, although there is a case to be made that people like you make it more expensive because of the marketing that is involved.
>>
-About diet:

Adapting something close to being vegan. Still eating animal products tho. For example scrambled eggs, cottage cheese. But I ommited every junk food from my diet: doughnuts, pizzas, burgers, butter cookies etc.
Instead I make salad, vegetable stews, curry, homemade peanut cookies....

Trying to get weight in a healthy way

Yoga every morning for 30minutes

skin has never looked better. Don't even wear make up right now.

I've never felt better. Ran for the first time in 3years. Managed to keep it going for 30minutes and don't feel like dying.

wake up full of energy,

any recipes to share?
>>
>>36408945
5' 6" manlet here,

I weigh 86 kg. I have an alright amount of muscle on me but also a lot of fat. I started running years ago and have lost a significant amount since then, but I am still by no means thin. Just got back from a 10k, ran another yesterday. Usually do about 25-30 miles a week
>>
>>36410208
I can hit around a 19 minute 5k. I do around 25 miles per week. Been running consistently for about a year and a half
>>
>>36406746
No that's a meme.
Google literally any runner of worth and tell me if they are wearing minimalist shoes.
Protip
>they are not.
>>
>>36410414
Yeah, you're good. Don't be afraid to take a few planned breaks. Be sure to know what nutrition they are going to have on the course, and be sure to train while eating that specific food/drink.

It is easy to run a 5k and not eat, but if you are not use to eating and drinking while running, you could be in for a rough time. I also want to stress with the specific food that they will have on the course. I am a power gel guy, and I will NEVER EAT HAMMER GELS.
>>
>>36410475
Thanks man. What marathon(s) have you run?
Any training programs you'd recommend?
>>
>>36407124
Joe Rogans podcasts are pretty good even though it seem like he likes to hear himself talk too much. he has good guests like Shane Smith and David Choe.
>>
Hey guys I really need some advice.
I got into fitness stuff again, started with training mma, then lifting, and then I started running about 3 weeks ago.
But I have a problem. Due to mma training I guess I got some half-decent cardio, although most of it is HIIT and explosiveness, but anyway.
I noticed that whenever I run, even though I warm up with jump rope and 5 min of walking, and run at a normal 10km/h pace, my feet start hurting really really bad before I'm even gasping for air a little bit. Like I might not even break a sweat and my feet will be burning and forcing me to stop. What the fuck is wrong with me and how do I fix it?
>>
>>36410208
25 miles a week is not a lot for a marathon. What's your goal time? Go to at least 40 miles
>>
I did my first half marathon the other day and it took 1 hour 52 mins. Is that good? Average? i don't really know
>>
>>36411390
Really good mang. Mine was 2 hours and 15 minutes.
>>
>>36411390
depends of the race and what you would define good. It is very far to be competitive but nice for the average population.
>>
>>36407124
Re: hitting the wall, try drinking more water. Sounds dumb, but I had a similar problem & was advised to try carrying a bottle and stopping at mile 4 or 5 for a drink. That let me push through & keep upping my distance. YMMV but it worked for me.
>>
>>36410535
I have not run any half marathons or marathon races, but I have ran 13 mile training runs a lot. I am a triathlete, so running is not my only focus. I am only able to run 3-4 days a week, and each run is really focused. In place of recovery runs, I swim and bike.

Figure out where you fit on this training plan. I am a fan of a good variety between long runs and short/high intensity workouts.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide
>>
>>36411084
Make sure you have proper running shoes. I would not hurt to get a new pair. Go to a running store and make sure they assess if you have any foot problems. Ideally, they should put you on a treadmill, record your run, and replay it in slow motion to assess what is going on.

It is hard to tell if you are having muscle or bone problems. Get a tennis ball and roll it around the arch of your foot to massage your foot muscles.

Also make sure that you are not tying your shoes too tight.
>>
>>36411390

53rd percentile. You're an average runner.
>>
>>36411668
Hey man thanks for the reply. I actually went on a store and tried out some shoes, and got the ones that felt the most comfortamble. They were a very cheap pair but it was in my (very low) price range and way better than more expensive pairs at the top of my budget. Can't really afford new ones, but either way I used to run with way shittier shoes back in 2013 and didn't have those problems.
The first time I actually do think I tied them too tight, but then the other times although I had them comfortambly tied I still got a lot of pain, although I got it a lot later.
I don't think it's the bone as I do a lot of jump rope and muai thai kicks and shit and I've never had even a slight problem. Also it makes way more sense for it to be muscle because I feel it that way, you know kind of burning.
I have a grid foam rolled but I didn't try it on my feet but always do it from the calves up.
I run on a treadmill if it matters.
The location of the pain is on top of the foot, right under the point where it meets my shin, just like the green circle here http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ywr3Bhku7gY/TgqUZhop9tI/AAAAAAAAAdM/7PLv3sBVF6Y/s1600/top-foot-pain.jpg
which is why I tried losening the laces the second time around and it half-worked. but still I cant run till I get out of breath it hurts too bad
>>
>>36410352
>Still eating animal products
So, vegetarian? Anyway, I'm a vegan runner.

The ladies over at Veggie Runners are absolutely awesome. Food and racing updates. Post-punk Kitchen, Thug Kitchen, and No Meat Athletes also have great resources.
>>
>>36406575
What I've been doing is 5k after lifting Monday and Wednesday and doing a 10k on Fridays without lifting, but the toll on my knees as been too much so I've taken out the linger run, and recently just been doing rowing or cycling after lifting. Not sure if I'll try a run on this Friday or not.

I'm 28 and in good shape, but still get vaious aches and pains like hip and knees, so I don't push too hard. I'll prolly take a full week off next month.

Shoes: Nike vomero 10

Diet: flexitarisn I guess you'd call it. Mostly eat oatmeal and nanners with tea for breakfast. Some kind of veggie whole grain dish for lunch. Maybe a frozen food chicken n rice or some shit I cooked for when I get home, and usually a turkey sandwich with veggies for dinner. Just now ate 3 egs scrambled with one avocado and one orange bell pepper. My only restriction is pig for ethical reasons, and I try to avoid red meat for health reasons.
>>
>>36411795
Try rolling out this muscle here.

http://www.thephysicaltherapyadvisor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ShinSplints_Treatment_Landscape.jpg

And look into doing some of these before you run. Choose between the 5 and 10 minute routine.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/give-me-15-minutes

Watch a few videos on how your foot should be hitting the ground and think about that when you run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--YU8YcWeUU
>>
>>36411795
Something else... consider running on different surfaces. Treadmills are torture and can limit your natural form. I feel rigid when I am on a treadmill, and much more free when I am running outside. That will allow you to speed up and down more naturally in order to figure out what is going on with your foot.
>>
>>36412035
>>36412068
Why are you so good and helpful? You're a fucking likeable person. Thank you for everything.
Yeah I did run outside when I was up on the mountains but between the altitude and the road being uphill I got out of breath in like 2 minutes or less, my feet didn't hurt nearly as much though. I'll be sure to try that out.
As I said I don't think my problem is the warm up since I stretch a lot and do jump rope and then walking for 5 minutes. I'll try the rolling thing though and the lunges.
>>
anyone go the couch to 5k picture? Or advice similar to it? Gonna start running tomorrow 2 times a week
>>
>>36412124
D'awww. Thanks.

What I was aiming for with the warm up is for something that will prepare your legs, ankle, and foot for running. I don't stretch much any more, but I do a lot of "dynamic stretches" (all the rage). The idea is to specifically warm up the muscles that you will use for running. Maybe jump roping is over/under emphasizing something for your run. Probably not.

Here is my last thought. If you have to run on a treadmill, try increasing the incline. Running up hill is challenging on your muscles and cardiovascular system, but running down hill is straight torture on your bones. You will be able to get a more efficient workout if you increase the incline to 3-5%, and hopefully start getting winded before your foot starts to hurt.

http://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/why-you-need-hills-in-your-running-routine
>>
>>36412210
Why two times a week? If you are doing other physical activity, that is fine, but you should be looking are working your cardio system 3-5 days a week.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
>>
cool thread!
this week i finally managed to run 10k under 50 mins (49mins 30)
what could be the next goal for me? i'm trying to put on muscle as well so i'm not looking to run longer distances because i'm fearing for muh gains... should i aim for 10k in 45 mins? seems really like a step up from 50mins
>>
>>36412247
yeah I play football (soccer) twice a week, once on a rest and then training on a lifting day and I lift 4 days a week so i plan to run on the other two days cheers for the link btw
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 400x300
I'm a newbie to running, I started jogging fairly recently. A few days ago it started to hurt when I stand up or walk around. I think I might have plantar fasciitis. Am I fucked? What do?
>>
>>36412219
I've been thinking about using hills (my house is in the middle of a steep one) for sprints, HIIT stuff for anaerobic.
I might as well use a small incline on my tradmill, good idea.
However I was doing C25K and am in the middle of it, I think I need to run 5k non-stop before I should attempt that shit, or does it not matter?
>>
>>36412392
>plantar fasciitis

You need to be more specific about the pain that you are feeling. You are most likely not fucked. Get a tennis ball and massage the bottom of your foot before, after... just massage your foot as much as you can. Try running almost every other day, and stop when the pain goes from muscle fatigue to sharp.

>>36412464
>However I was doing C25K and am in the middle of it, I think I need to run 5k non-stop before I should attempt that shit, or does it not matter?

This might fit into your workout perfectly. Run up the hill, then walk down the hill during your walk recovery. Maybe do that once a week.
>>
>>36412464
honestly if you cant run 5k at c25k pace, dont bother with hill training or hiit
small incline on treadmill maybe, but im not sure itd be useful at this point
>>
>>36412499
Hey. I am this guy here. >>36412219

The reason why I am suggesting that he try doing hill work outs is to increase the intensity of the workout without increasing the stress on his ankle. He indicated that his ankle hurts before he feels winded or begins to sweat.
>>
>>36412489
Will try it once I get back. Now I'm in the mountains again (I work at a hotel here) so I have no choice but to run on different inclines anyway.
>>36412499
I actually don't know if I can run 5k at 10km/h non-stop, because as I said in my previous posts my feet hurt too much to go on before I'm even breathing heavily, I can actually breathe from my nose the whole time, that's how non-cardio this issue is. The problem is on the muscles on the top of my foot. Thanks for the advice anyway, if I see that hill training doesn't work for me I'll just do a very small incline as you and the other anon suggested. The hill sprints are just a thought I've been having, but I do plenty of HIIT in my martial arts training so I don't think I'll suck too bad at it.
>>
>>36407886
I reached a 23 min 5k in 4 months.

Am I ready to marathon now?
>>
>>36412950
Have you ran a 10k yet? Have you run 13 miles in a training run yet? 4 months is quite a fast ramp up time. You will most likely be able to finish the race if your goal is to complete a marathon.
>>
>>36413060
Yea I'm half a year now in but I didn't do a half marathon yet.

Longest run I did was 15k but I started hitting the wall and realized I need nutrition and now I'm just maintain around 40 km per week.

I will do a half first. How long should my long run be while training for a half?
>>
>>36412489
>stop when the pain goes from muscle fatigue to sharp.
Oh, that is the pain I'm feeling though. It's a very shooting pain in the middles of my feet whenever I stand up after sitting or sleeping. I'll take your advice though, thank you.
>>
>>36413123
Any training program that you find online should work well. Look into getting a hydration belt and start training with it. Be sure to eat and drink when you run. Also consider what kind of nutrition will be on the race course. For example, I am a power gel guy, and I do not stomach hammer gels very well. Are you a gel, gummy, bar, or trail mix (like clif bars) type of person?

>How long should my long run be while training for a half?

You will want to mix it up between recovery runs, intervals, and long runs. Figure out where you fall on this plan, and follow it as much as you'd like. I am a big fan of mixing in a lot of low miles & high intensity works outs during the week.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

>>36413136

Could you try running on softer material? Ideally, go to a astroturf football field and run some 100 yards without shoes on. See how that feels. Run in some grass, trails, dirt, etc, with your shoes on. Experiment with how your foot is hitting the ground and how you are pushing off.

Watch a few videos about how your foot should hit the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--YU8YcWeUU

Even consider doing some dynamic stretches before you run. I don't do the full 15 minute routine, but I rotate between the 5 and 10 minute.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/give-me-15-minutes
>>
>>36413136
If a tennis ball is too soft, look into buying something like this from amazon or go to any local running store and they will have something harder.

http://www.amazon.com/Due-North-Foot-Massage-Green/dp/B002QEY6NK

Also, if you are not using a foam roller, you should. Especially for your calves. If you are having pain in a joint, you should look towards the muscles before and after that joint. Maybe by massaging your calf, it will reduce the pull your foot is feeling.
>>
>>36413273
thx I'm looking into belts already.

Also for >>36413136
These drills are good for learning form
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCKOAyOwm1c

Pick one day, easy running and do these drills.

It really helps
>>
Upset because I was going to run my first 10k next month, but tore a ligament in my knee so I feel like that's no longer happening
>>
File: rj23.jpg (220 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rj23.jpg
220 KB, 1920x1080
>>36406666

not a lot of girls that look like that retain their virginity for that long

this case would be even more extreme among men

good for her
>>
>>36406575
i'm a skinnyfat slob (5'9" male, 145 pounds @ 15-17% bf) looking to get into shape. i have a shitty TDEE and so i'd like to do cardio to cut rather than eat minuscule amounts of food and feel like im starving for weeks on end.

the plan is to do a 4 day push/pull/legs routine and jog 4 miles a day for each of my 3 non-lifting days regardless of whether im cutting or bulking -- i would bulk by eating more, and cut by eating less. do you guys think this is reasonable or is it way too much training for someone as unfit as myself?
>>
>>36411084
Since you are MMA you should really be doing jogs with interval sprints at the same time.
Get good at those on slight inclines and then give the mountains a try
>>
>>36415127
>the plan is to do a 4 day push/pull/legs routine and jog 4 miles a day for each of my 3 non-lifting days regardless of whether im cutting or bulking -- i would bulk by eating more, and cut by eating less. do you guys think this is reasonable or is it way too much training for someone as unfit as myself?

Holy shit. You are trying to do a lot. What is your ultimate goal? Do you want to be a runner, or do you want to build muscle? If you want to be a runner, we can help you out, but if you want a nice body, try another thread. I am 6'2 and weigh 150. This bulking and cutting stuff is confusing here.
>>
>>36411084
Are you running on concrete? If so stop doing that, it's a one way ticket to stress fractures. Other than that stretch your feet and legs, focus on running with correct form and maybe trying running barefoot(not a Vibram shill, just assuming that you run around a lot barefoot while doing MMA without getting sore feet) of none of that solves it see a podiatrist
>>
>>36415189
i don't want to be huge. 160 @ 10% is my goal, which i suspect will take 2-3 years of lifting. i just like to eat and i hate cutting.

right now i have a manual labor job where i walk about 15 miles a week. im quitting this job soon for an office job, and basically i want to replace the exercise from this job with outside exercise. i think running/jogging 4-5 miles a day, 3 days a week would be ideal for this?
>>
>>36411252
>Le train to run long distance by running even longer distances
This has been a painfully outdated training method for decades, even when training for a 100k I only ran 30k per week, you just have to be really autistic about the length of your intervals and staying at 60-65% of my max hard rate at all times
>>
>>36415245
So asking pure runners wont help you that much. Maybe someone else can help you.

Keep in mind that every mile that you run or walk is 100 calories. 4 miles 3 days per week will get you at a similar calorie burning rate no matter how fast or slow you run. Since you are not already a runner, be careful about not going too fast. Make sure you get some solid days of rest in there between the other things that you are doing.

Double check your plan in a body building thread, or something like that, and run your plan by them.
>>
>>36415310
People who only train by distance, am i rite? Gotta get your hill repeats and intervals in.
>>
>>36415335
>hill repeats
Mah nigga, I reduced my 5k time by 30 seconds in only a month when I started doing them
>>
File: very nice.jpg (4 KB, 125x124) Image search: [Google]
very nice.jpg
4 KB, 125x124
>>36413372
>>36413316
>>36413273

Thanks guys, these tips are very helpful
>>
>>36415335
>>36415613
What're hill repeats?
>>
>>36416187
1. See hill, preferably steep.
2. Spring up hill as fast as you can.
3. Walk down hill to recover.

Repeat 6 times or so.

Congrats. You just gran a low mileage, high intensity work out. Your muscles will grow stronger and your speed will increase.
>>
File: christen press 454.jpg (85 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
christen press 454.jpg
85 KB, 450x600
>>36414716
Lolo, Rashida and Christen are qts
>>
File: 23217129863_fb77887cf2_o.jpg (42 KB, 488x750) Image search: [Google]
23217129863_fb77887cf2_o.jpg
42 KB, 488x750
>>36416187
>>36416512
speedwork in disguise.
Go hard the first time up the hill
try to make every repeat the same pace
We start with 4 repeats, and add 1 each week to peak at 10 reps, then switch to actual speedwork doing 800's
>>
File: 13909787358_c97da16a38_o.jpg (223 KB, 500x703) Image search: [Google]
13909787358_c97da16a38_o.jpg
223 KB, 500x703
>>36415310
There are different energy systems at play here
Low intensity increases mitochondria and causes greater capillarization of the muscles=greater aerobic capacity.

Current thinking is high mileage/ low HR during off season, then less mileage combined with threshold and HIgh HR intervals leading to a race.
>>
How much improvement to my VO2 max can i expect within a month? Is it as rapid as strength gains when lifting weights?
>>
>>36412247
>should be looking are working your cardio system 3-5 days a week.
not him but why?
>>
>>36415178
Yeah I know I should be doing interval training but I figured I should get my base cardio up first. I can't though as you read on my post since I'm not getting a cardiovascular workout, just pain.
I'll try to start with HIIT.
Thanks for the reply.
>>36415235
No I run on a treadmill. Some other anon said that it's the worst though so I'll try to find a bid field or a trail or something. Yes I do run around barefoot in training but that's on a mat. Barefoot sounds awesome but again I need to find a grass field or something and even then small rocks and shit will probably ruin my day.
>>
Hey /run/
I'm training for a beep test, have been for about 6 weeks now. It's a take-it-when-you-know-you-can-beat-the-required-score sort of deal. 10.1 is what I need. Current best is 8.4 but I've hit a wall and the last few attempts have been mid 7's.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Have done predominantly treadmill work, mixing up intervals with distance (8K's or so. When I started this I was a couch potato and struggled doing 2).

I don't know if I should be eating a calorie defecit for weight loss (5'10 185 lbs 22 y.o) or surplus for muscle gain/to prevent muscle loss.

I also have asthma, not the sort to suffer attacks but rather have terrible lung capacity (had it tested 8 months ago, 20% of what it should be, akin to a 50 year old). My first beep test was 6.0 so I've made some gains, and at 8.4 a 10.1 seems within reach within a month, but hell I don't know if this is as good as it gets, thanks genetics.

Any help?
>>
>>36415127
From what I've read <15 miles / week is basically a freebie when it comes to wear and tear on your body.

Think of boxers putting in "roadwork" -- they still manage to develop their muscles.
>>
>>36416512
I did this and got a major injury my second time trying it.
>>
yo /running/

I've been getting pains in the back of my calves after doing 5K's, and I usually have to take about 3-4 days rest between running because of this

I've been trying to examine correct form but I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong, any help?
>>
>>36418670
What kind of pain, if it muscle cramp this is probably not due to your form.
Calves due to bad form seems weird but I am far from a form expert, I just run.
>>
>>36417879
If your goal is to become a runner, then you should run as much as you can, just like lifting.
>>36418469
Beep test? 10.1? What?

>>36418590
You would have gotten injured doing a race. Talk to a sports doc and make sure there isn't anything wrong with you.

>>36418670
Buy a foam roller and massage your calves. I have also posted a couple videos about proper running form from youtube. Massage your calves before... after... just massage your calves as much as you can. Look up videos about how to use one. Find roll slowly and find the point where it hurts, and really work the knots out.
>>
Best way to improve beep test/shuttle run?

>>36418878
Not that anon but the beep test is where you run a distance of 20m to the sound of a "beep". It's a universal fitness test used by the military/police/fire department to determine how "fit" you are.
>>
>>36418932
20 meters determines how fit you are?
>>
>>36419101
There's multiple stages of said 20 meters. 1.1 "beep" 1.2 "beep" 1.3.. all the way up to level 23. It speeds up as it progresses as well. Most moderately fit people only ever get up to level 8-10.
>>
>>36418878
>>36419101
This seems to be an across-the-pond translation thing.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test#Format

A score of 10.1 is equivalent to 1900m in 10min 36seconds, in timed 20m increments. Starts at 8.5 km/h and works up to 13km/h by the time you hit level 10.

All that stopping, starting and pivoting/turning makes it a hell of a lot harder than running the equivalent distance in that time.

It tests endurance but also your speed (and capability to increasingly kick it up a notch).
>>
>>36409913
>wear fairly loose shorts
>holds phone
>brings water bottle
>20 min 5k

you ain't making it
>>
>>36407391
torn acl
>>
>>36419375
I'm not trying to be a runner, prick. I'm trying to be a boxer. Besides, it's not like I'm plateauing at 20, I just started this routine after first doing c25k and then HIIT.
It's also just an estimate, I'll actually measure my time today
>>
>>36406632
What caused it?
>>
>>36408671
I use lunasandals and my knees and feet feel Awesome. Just learn how to run with bare feet and you Will be good to go. Let it take some time, train low and slow.
>>
>>36409878
Be preapared to totally crash at 35 km. Take it slow and aim to run the first half of the race slower than the second half.
>>
>>36408671
You can get zero drop shoes with lots of cushioning.
>>
>>36409878
Run more miles in a week than you will in that day (surprisingly people do marathons with less than 30 mpw).
AFter that, it depends of your goal.

Advanced marathoning by Pfitzinger is a good resource, shoot for an even pace
>>
>>36418670
could also be wrong shoe tipe
>>
>>36419640
you don't need to carry a water bottle for a 5k

Just drink before and after jesus
>>
Long distance running on lifting days or on rest days?
>>
>>36420497
Give it its own day. It's a quality workout. Don't do heavy legs before or after.
>>
>>36420497
Depends of your goals.
My primary goal is running, if I want to do a long run, I won't lift the same day.
>>
>>36420578
>>36420596
What do you guys consider a long run? I'm doing >>36419250, trying to get what is considered 2k in under 10 minutes. I know there are people that can do 5k in under 10 minutes but i'm quite unfit.

How to go about training for this? I have a month..
>>
>>36420833
No one can do a 5k in under 10 minutes.
Long run depends of you. For elite marathoners it can be 30-40km, for a 5k, 20km would be a long run.

A month won't be a lot of time. I would do a classic:
>one tempo run with improvement every week
>one interval session with improvement every week
>One long run
Rest as easy days.
But depends of your fitness, and your goals.
What is your weekly mileage?
>>
>>36420894
Sorry, it might've been the 5k in under 20 minutes i mistook for.

And so far... it's about 8km simply because i'm doing HIIT/interval training which i read is the best way to increase my VO2 max. Gonna start giving long runs a go.

Also, what is a tempo run? Once i start doing long runs, that'll be the only thing I need to add.
>>
>>36420833
the longest run of your schedule
>>
>>36420952
Don't run 20km in a long run if you have no history.

Depends of your interval training but HIIT might not be ideal if your goal is to be a faster runner (still better than nothing).

There are multiple definitions of tempo runs but basically go fast but no all out for 15 minutes (can be way longer for better athlete). You can talk 2-3 sentences without being out of breath, but after that, that would be harder.
>>
>>36420833
I'd just get an app that beeped at the right times and train to the test. Or set up the intervals on a watch.

That way you'll be practiced in the shuttle run business and know going in what your exact margin for error will be.
>>
>>36421029
>>36420833
usually a max of 35% of your weekly milage.

So if you do 100 miles per week the long run should be 35 miles. Else you start risking injuries.

Running 5 miles Monday, 5 on Wednesday and 20 on Saturday is kinda risky since your body is not accustomed to that spike. It's better to run more during the week and keep you long run at a max 35% i'd say
>>
>>36421042
My goal isn't to be a faster runner, just the research i did indicated that raising my VO2 max was the best chance i had at increasing my distance running within a short time frame..

And tempo running is pretty much running at a consistent pace?

>>36421048
This might be my best bet. I know some dude that's made it into the police academy already and he did the shuttle run every day for a month and managed to get a really high score. Not sure how effective his method is.

>>36421053
Noted, thank you
>>
File: 1446764592257.jpg (75 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1446764592257.jpg
75 KB, 540x540
Did a jog yesterday and afterwards the outer arch of my left foot hurt like hell and was a bit swollen. Pain and swelling died down in 20 minutes but my foot is still slightly sore today. Does anyone know what could cause this and what I can do to prevent it from happening again? I got flat feet, not sure if that can be an issue.

I have 0 experience doing cardio and currently doing the couch to 5k thing. Completed week one before then stopped and when I hurt my foot I was doing a week 1 tier run of 60 jogs with 90 sec walks.
>>
>>36421926
How old are your shoes? Are you tying your shoes too tight? If you need to get new shoes, go to a running specialty store and get shoes that are fitted for your feet to make sure you don't have any arch problems.

Also consider doing your workouts on softer surfaces like grass and trails. Find a big soccer field complex and run laps around all of the fields.

Get a tennis ball and massage the bottom of your foot before and after your run, or when you are sitting at your computer.

It is a bit frightening that after week one of a c25k program that you are having foot pains. You must live a very sedentary life style. If you can't run, please consider riding a bike with a similar routine. 60 seconds hard, 90 seconds easy.

You might also be over weight so make sure that you are watching what you eat on the front end. Excessive weight can exerbate your problems, so the bike routine would help this. You lose about 100 calories for every mile you walk or run (+/- 20 calories). One can of soda is two miles. You are probably running 14 minute miles. One can of soda will take you 30 minutes to burn off. That is an entire c25k workout.
>>
C25K good HIIT program?
>>
Hello /run/

I'm trying to find a store that does a pronation and treadmill test and all that but the only thing I could find in this piece of shit country is a store that has a scanner that scans your feet and no treadmill.

Is this good enough?
>>
>>36422486
So that machine will test to see what is going on with your arch. Some experienced people can look at your stride to assess what is going on. Is there anyone at the store that could do that?
>>
>>36422576
Yea there is a guy who is supposed to do it with you and look at you while you walk.
>>
>>36422647
I am not an expert in this area, but I would feel better if he watched you while you ran. It will most likely be fine, so I would go with it.
>>
>>36420494
I do interval sprinting during the 5k, so yes I do need to do so to avoid heat stroke. Fuck you.
>>
>>36420494
Also

I
Am
A
Boxer

Not a runner. I don't need to be able to run so long without water.
>>
File: shitting-runner-in-marathon.jpg (224 KB, 680x387) Image search: [Google]
shitting-runner-in-marathon.jpg
224 KB, 680x387
Who 8 miler in under 27 minutes here?
Me. Are you all jealous?
>>
File: 71TyjODiayL._UX695_.jpg (27 KB, 695x345) Image search: [Google]
71TyjODiayL._UX695_.jpg
27 KB, 695x345
I run a 5K every other day. Pic related are my running shoes. Literally never have any kind of foot/leg pain. Running shoes are the biggest meme mankind has come up with.
>>
>>36425115
I bet they could hear you coming from a mile away with those flat outsoles. terrible shoes for running
>>
File: DSC_0077 (2).jpg (72 KB, 640x408) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0077 (2).jpg
72 KB, 640x408
The best pair of running shoes ever. Wish they were still being produced.
>>
>>36425208
I nearly bought those but got the Merell Vapor Glove 2 instead because I was after a more minimalist and even lighter shoe
>>
>>36425235
They also make a trail glove you should check it out. they're fairly similar to the new balance shoes.
>>
File: bait or not to bait.jpg (10 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
bait or not to bait.jpg
10 KB, 527x409
>>36425029
>20 minutes
>so long

Is this bait?
>>
>>36425082
You do know that the world record for 10k (6.2 miles) is 26:17 right?
>>
>>36425417
In distance, not time, genius.

And again, I'm not training for distance running, I'm following boxing roadwork. I don't need to be up to marathon runner standards. I just need to do my routine three times a week.

Why are you not calling out the people hitting 25 minute 5k's?
20 minute 5k is not slow
>>
>>36425621
I wasn't even saying it was a long distance either. I know it's baby's first distance run. Learn proper reading comprehension skills, lmao
>>
>>36425260
I have the trail gloves already. They're slightly better for trails but way shittier for road running because of their rock plates.
>>
>>36425436
I meant 5 mile 8k. Got confused
>>
>>36425208

Damn, they stopped producing those?
I have the same shoes, great for running and lifting.

> dat calf definition
>>
>>36407391

Is that you Danny?
>>
>>36426157
Yeah, they had the perfect drop for me personally for running. Any shoe with lower drop or stack height would start to give me some overtraining injuries. These will hit your calves but not enough to blow up your training regimen.

I had
>pic related
for a while and they would just destroy my calves and give me some foot injuries. They might be good for shorter runs by I couldn't get them out there for longer than 10-12 miles without doing some damage.
>>
>>36426243
>>36426157

forgot pic
>>
>>36426243
Yeah I have to say, I only do shorter runs (less than 10 miles), so I never got any pain or anything like that, and as you say, great complement for calves.

Those shoes are the bomb, hope they make some similar model again, my pair is starting to be used

>>36426243
Those looks pretty similar tho, are they the new model?
>>
>>36426504
No they were released around the same time of the MT10v2 and are much more minimal, although I never understood the rationale behind using honeycomb soles, since that just creates hotspots were there would be none with a flat surface

The MT10v3 is not really a minimalist shoe anymore, they went in the opposite direction
>>
If I can run a 5K fairly slowly, but am pretty beat by the end, what are the chances I can complete a 10K two months from now? Not looking for a great time, just to finish.

I think the most I've ran before is 6K.
>>
File: leon thumbs up.gif (2 MB, 350x273) Image search: [Google]
leon thumbs up.gif
2 MB, 350x273
>>36427802
Working on your breathing. I don't focus on time since the route I usually take is 7 miles that takes me an hour.

Idk what everyone else does but I started breathing in for 2 seconds and out for 2. Then when I got more comfortable I bumped to 3-4 seconds each. Really puts my mind at ease, and enjoy running instead of pressuring myself to get a certain time.

That being said you can definitely accomplish a 10k in less than a month.
>>
File: daisy ridley 884383.gif (950 KB, 202x206) Image search: [Google]
daisy ridley 884383.gif
950 KB, 202x206
>>36425115
Enjoy your rekt knees next month
>>
What the deal with running shoes? Is it the more padding/softness the better? What pair of shoes do you recommend for a poorfag?
>>
>>36425115
I once ran in shoes similar to those ended up burning a hole through the bottom from friction without really trying
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.