[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinup Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: chin-ups.png (30 KB, 508x365) Image search: [Google]
chin-ups.png
30 KB, 508x365
How do I improve my chin ups, /fit/ ?
I recently made progress, but I believe I am stalling now. Is it my forearms ?
I wanna start adding weight but I cant seem to score more than 8 reps per set.

Tips ?
>>
>>36400719

Well you said it yourself: add weight. If you can't increase volume, increase intensity. Something has to improve, whether it's slightly longer time under tension, slightly better form, one more rep, one more half rep, 1.25 kg extra weight. It doesn't matter. Just increase it in some way.
>>
How to improve reps
>do normal sets, increase reps per set when you feel necessary
>on last set, perform until fail
>4 SCOOPS CMON
>rest
>be surprised when you improve
If you want to add weight, just wear a backpack filled with heavy things, I use a shit ton of large marbles so weight is perfectly spaced out
>>
Do it 3x per week
Do perfect form on every rep
>>
>>36400719
http://www.50pullups.com

Every time I see this thread I link this site. Chin ups, pull ups, whatever. Check the guide out on this site. Making crazy improvements. Also I'd invest in a chain belt to add weight to them once you hit 10.
>>
I've been lifting 3 years and 9 months.

I'm 80kg at only 5'7 and I can do 4x15 chin-ups after doing deadlifts and barbell rows.

I would think it's just a matter of not being weak.
>>
>>36400855
So then ask yourself, "how do I not be weak?"

Your answer is probably "workout hurr"

Then ask "work what out?"

That's what OP wants to fucking know. Dipshit.
>>
lat pull down machine and hit some volume
>>
if you cant do more than 8 reps per set, cut your max in half and do 10 sets every time you work pull muscles
in your case work on 10 sets of 4 2-3 times a week and test yourself maybe after 4 weeks
>>
>>36400818
Looks epic, bro. I'm gonna start right away.

>>36400855
Im 77kg at 5'11 , just finished my deadlift workout and hit 160kg.
Still , I cannot do more than 8 chinups per set even on my rest days. Call me weak or whatever, I accept it , I just want to improve.
>>
>>36400921
Once you hit about 15, start working on more technical excersizes like keeping yourself suspended and moving from side to side and all that cool shitbrock climbers do. Improves core and stamina like a motherfucker. Bitches love it too.
>>
>>36400719
Door mounted pull up bar. Put it in like your bathroom or something. Every time you pass it, do like 5. Once 5 becomes easy, just up the reps
>>
>>36400896
lat pulldowns dont carry over to chinups/pullups in my opinion.

i spent years hitting the lat pulldown with that logic and when i did finally start with bodyweight chinups/pullups i was still barely able to get 1

it wasnt until i specifically focused on doing chinups and pullups did i finally actually progress on them to being able to do sets of 12-15
>>
>>36400719
That picture is a pullup....chin ups have palms facing away from you.... fucking casual.
>>
Do more of them, frequently. Go hard on your workout days, and on others just do a few chins here and there, never to failure. This will increase your volume quickly, but not so much strength.
>>
File: bait.jpg (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
55 KB, 625x626
>>36401079
>>
>>36401165
Not bait. They focus on differnt areas of the muscle. Ergo they are differnt exercises and should be treated as such. 50 of one type is 10000000 tomes harder then 50 of another.

Casual numero duo
>>
File: 943545455341854.jpg (84 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
943545455341854.jpg
84 KB, 1024x768
>>36401729
>>
>>36400818
Did this work for anybody? I've kinda been stuck right around 21 for a while, and I've even hit a plateau in weighted where I can't seem to escape from +55 lbs for 7.
>>
>>36400719
http://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

this is pretty good, you can still train back/biceps on normal workouts if you don`t overdo it.
>>
>>36400719
Barbell rows, dumbell rows
Close grip lat pulldown
Dont fall for the wide grip lat pulldowns and wide pullup meme
>>
File: 1449960264236.gif (1 MB, 415x322) Image search: [Google]
1449960264236.gif
1 MB, 415x322
>>36400719
I would suggest you improve your non-plebeian PULLUPS by retracting your scapula and doing reps while in the hollow body position, youtube that shit if you're not familiar
>>
>>36404225
>http://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

Thanks daddy.
>>
Since this seems like a good thread to ask, I'm doing assisted pull ups, 5x5 every week and reducing the assistance weight every time I hit them. Is this a good way to improve??
>>
>>36400905
this guy knows

the best thing for my chinups and back and biceps was to start doing submaximal sets of chinups throughout the day, stopping well short of failure, and doing it 5-6 times a week

look up grease the groove and frequency method, it works very well for chin ups and push ups in particular and it's a big feature of GSLP that i've held onto even though i've moved on from that routine
>>
>>36400788
Filling a plastic shopping bag with heavy shit and hanging it of a belt seems to work better cos the weights below you not behind you
>>
Couldn't do a single one about two months ago. Now I can do 4.

I did negative ones in the beginning. Then tried a real one for each set. Gradually got stronger.
>>
Same as with every fucking exercise ever
If you want to improve your strength, do 5x5 with increasing added weight, if you want to improve endurance and do a lot of them, do 5xF
>>
>do more of them
>>
>>36405362
Good work anon. I started with negatives, slowly getting better.

>>36401729
Told myself I wouldn't reply but fuck it. No one denies that palms facing in is a different exercise from palms out. But palms in is a chin up, palms out is a pull up.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.