[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifting while tall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: Squats.jpg (64 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Squats.jpg
64 KB, 640x640
https://www.t-nation.com/training/truth-for-tall-lifters

I'm 6'4 and I've been lifting for quite a few years. When I started I used to snap my shit up on the regular and it felt like my joints were always giving out before my muscles did.

This article really helped me, and if I can help out some fellow tall lifters that would be great. It also has some tips for people with long arms, so it's not totally useless for shorter dudes.

I'd rather avoid a height war in this thread but I don't imagine that's going to happen. I have no affiliated with the website or anything, I literally just googled lifting while tall or tall lifting tips or something. I shared this with someone in the CBT yesterday and they suggested I start a topic for it.

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: lanklets.jpg (30 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
lanklets.jpg
30 KB, 300x225
Fucking lanklets.
When will they learn?
>>
>>36397968
Thanks man. I knew you'd understand.
>>
>>36397870
Thanks for sharing, but after several years of lifting I kind of just learned these things on my own. No one is going to give us credit for the extra work we put in though.
>>
>>36398515
I was lifting with a buddy pretty much from the start and we were both competitive, this meant a lot of minor injuries trying to beat the other guy, this article basically just taught me to worry more about the form and take care of myself.

And no we don't but it's fine. I know society is kind of shitty to short dudes so I don't begrudge them taking an ego boost from seeing how much more they're lifting.
>>
>>36397870
That's not fucking squats, looks fake af
>>
>>36399929
You can find her instagram if you want. I forget her name but her ass is pretty great.

She's got videos of her doing workouts too so I doubt it's all doctored.
>>
>>36399929
https://www.instagram.com/brittanyperilleee/?hl=en

Nm I found it for you with an image search. I think she took a picture from a long time ago and compared it to now.
>>
>>36399962
No Instagram chick has ever done plastic surgery ever right
>>
>>36397870
YOU GOTTA EAT BIG TO GET BIG CMON

FOUR SCOOPS CMON
>>
>>36399982
I mean you can watch her work out, I don't think fake asses look like that during exercise. But maybe I'm wrong. I'm not really that invested in this conversation.

>>36400001
You were so close to being respectable. 1 off.
>>
>>36400001
>FOUR SCOOPS CMON
pls no more scoops. im gonna barf
>>
Thanks for the article man. Been doing full rom pullups for years and no matter how much I worked on my form I'd always feel them hitting my traps more than I'd like. Gonna try not pulling myself all the way up next time I do them.
>>
>>36400001
EIGHT SCOOPS SIX TIMES A DAY CMON
>>
File: 1458065120632.jpg (130 KB, 634x700) Image search: [Google]
1458065120632.jpg
130 KB, 634x700
>>36397968
i know right?
>>
>>36400325
No problem. I noticed a lot of this stuff made a big difference for me in terms of speed of progress and avoidance of injury.
>>
>>36399977

Ass implants (and lots of other implants all over the place)

Still hot tho
>>
>>36400673
I guess I just can't tell then. It looked fairly natural while she was lifting. Maybe they're just better than I give them credit for.
>>
>>36397870
no way is that from squatting, squatting doesn't do that, plus she has zero hamstring and quad development. unless you expect me to believe she squatted for a significant amount of time and ONLY gained on her ass and no where else
>>
>>36397870
thanks for sharing OP, cool article for a nigger
>>
>>36400875
No problem fella, hope it helps.

>>36400856
I dunno man, I just posted a bait picture to get people to read the article. If I posted something that wasn't girlbutt no one would have opened this topic.
>>
What if you have a shitty life such as mine and you are a 5'10 manlet with lanklet arms and legs? My legs are almost 30% of my height amd my shins are longer than my femurs.

Deadlifts are great but bench and squat suffer, especially bench.
>>
>>36400981

>If I posted something that wasn't girlbutt

Guybutt would have worked as well no homo.
>>
>>36401152
The article covers that. Did you read it? In fact I said in the op that it also applies to dudes with long limbs. Also I don't consider 5'10 manlet status /fit/'s kind of dumb.
>>
Im 6'4 also and have picked up a few things along the way that might help also (dont know if its mentioned in the article)

>Switch to DB benching
Fuck barbell benching. I have PE so maybe its just my chest but the angles, no matter how I adjust, are just wrong as fuck for me. I've been lifting for a long long time and while I can still bench well over 2plate, it always feels awkward and I can easily tweak my shoulder at the slightest miscue.

>Always do 45 degree or neutral grip pressing
Fuck OHP. I still do it, but I've seen much better size gains while doing neutral grip DB presses. When doing OHP, a slightly wider than shoulder width grip is beneficial, even if not exactly textbook. Again, your mileage may very because I have a fucked up sternum, so not sure if it applies.

>Deadlifts are awesome
If you're tall, chances are you're good at DLing. Fucking do it. My back is thick as shit and my lower back is healthy as fuck. I used to get aches and pains in my lower back all the time because of >lmaolanklet but after heavy DLs (flex dat core) I've never had a problem. Also, don't make us look bad by doing sumo you fag

>Squats are hard
Squats are hard for everyone, but they're especially taxing for long legged folks. Again, I still do them, but you really need to work on proper angles and form to get the most out of them.

However, I HAVE seen some nice ass and quad gains by doing very very high rep leg pressing @ the 5-7 plate each side range. You don't get the full body work that a squat gives you, but it works pretty well
>>
>>36401541
1/2

>Shoulder pain
Fuckin shoulders man... I dont know about anyone else, but my shoulders are by far the worst joint on my body. You really need to pay attention to them once you start getting into high weight ranges, especially lifts where you rotate them backwards like in standing DB/cable extensions and lying tricep extensions.

>Get a wide back
The taller you are, the larger your frame, the more impressive you look with a wide back. I think the article mentions pullups, and I agree. You don't need full ROM, just make sure you're working your lats. I have high bicep peaks also, so I don't even go down all the way when doing chinups either

Thats all I can think of
>>
>>36401551
A majority of the stuff you mentioned was covered in the article but I appreciate it nontheless.

Yeah I noticed a lot of the same stuff you did, especially shoulder related. Like half the lifter I know over 6'2 have fucked their shoulders at least once, at any given time my shoulder usually decides what I'm allowed to bench, not my chest. Also the squats thing, they fucking suck and I will never not hate leg day.

It's really hard to not get mad when you notice how far we're moving the weight during a squat compared to someone who's like 5'6. Same with bench, I had a buddy with really short arms and he had to move the weight like half as far as I did or less.

Oh well thems the breaks I guess.
>>
>>36401598
Tallbros generally having a better life financially, romantically, socially, and professionally makes up for it.
>>
>>36401724
Yeah I don't always feel great about that to be honest. Some of my best friends are around 5'7 or so and seeing some of the shit that goes on to them was pretty eye opening and made me feel really bad for them.
>>
File: 1457932881365.jpg (73 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1457932881365.jpg
73 KB, 1080x720
6'4'' here with very long femurs and 80 and change inch wingspan

you don't really need to do anything radically different, you will just always be shittier at squatting and pressing than somebody with shorter limbs

enjoy your deadlift gains though, and the fact that your strength in any application where you can decide the leverage (think strongman type shit or grappling) is going to be much better than shortfags
>>
File: is it bullshit.jpg (80 KB, 934x599) Image search: [Google]
is it bullshit.jpg
80 KB, 934x599
>>36399929
>>36399962
>>36399977
>>36400673
I don't /fit/ much, is it bullshit?
>>
>>36404100
This is true to a point. But we have a lot of weight on our joints I mean I'm sure you understand how levers work, 20 lbs close to your body isn't as bad as 20lbs at arms length. And if your arms length is twice that of the dude beside you your joints are going to suffer.

>>36404115
If she was really that into just having a bubble butt and nothing else she could probably find a way. I would imagine fire hydrants and hip raises could get you a pretty respectable ass.
>>
>>36404132
the increase in torque on the joints is somewhat balanced by the fact that at 6'2''+ our frames tend to be larger and thicker, joints included

your joint injuries are probably a result of shitty form and shitty programming that brings you to technical failure too often
>>
>>36404153
Yeah my form wasn't always perfect, but a lot of taller guys don't get super great joints to match their height, myself included. There's a reason tall guys tend to have more joint problems, lifter or not, and there's a reason that article discusses it.

I'm happy for you if you haven't experienced this personally, but it's definitely an issue that affects a fair number of people.
>>
>>36400402
SPESS MUHREENS!
>>
>>36401541
Thanks for the advice bro! I'm only 6'2 but I can relate to most of the issues.
>>
>>36400673
Nah. Implants look different.
>>
>>36397870
i'm quite suprised that the "HEIGHT FRAME AND FACE" shitposter is absent here
>>
File: hnng.jpg (45 KB, 229x213) Image search: [Google]
hnng.jpg
45 KB, 229x213
>>36401541

6'-2" here. i agree with everything you said except for
>If you're tall, chances are you're good at DLing
i find deadlifting to be extremely difficult. or rather, it's not hard to do it but it's very hard to increase weight. like OP's article said, you have to remember that with longer legs, you have to bring the bar up higher off the ground, meaning more work for the same amount of weight. maybe it's just me, but i struggle with deadlifts even though i enjoy doing them.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.