[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sitting on knees posture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
Pretty much random thought that popped up that sent me here really. What started it off is the whole 'sitting on knees' posture.

Some questions:
-Is this gender related for physical reasons or cultural, for googling gives a massive female bias.
-It looks comfortable, but my legs just don't seem to be capable of that. That said, i used to be able to sit cross-legged a lot as a child yet found i couldn't do that as an adult - until after i started cycling, where i found i could just about do it again.

So i suspect it's simply my body adapting to the way i use it, and to enable it i just need to stretch ligaments until it's possible...

I'm very clueless on this subject, hence this post, how would i go about this? Just simple repetition of stretching my limbs just a bit further than they do now until the pain threshold over a longish period of time?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, browsed a few pages but didn't see anything relevant.
>>
stretching is the female version of lifting imo.
I find that lots of women, many non-athletes, stretch in the gym as a natural part of their workout. I think women view flexibility as a more valid marker of fitness than men do.
I also feel like they have proportionately shorter limbs so maybe muscle tightness is less of an issue?
>>
>>36388765
Asian people sit like that and they look DYEL manlet monkey. Question?
>>
>>36388815

Lol wtf? Maintaining good mobility is definitely important for athletes.
>>
>>36388869
of course, most people aren't athletes and plenty of male athletes are rigid as shit.
>>
>>36388765
>Is this gender related for physical reasons or cultural, for googling gives a massive female bias.
Physical. Women have slimmer calves and hamstrings, and stretchier connective tissue.

>It looks comfortable, but my legs just don't seem to be capable of that.
How the hell does it look comfortable? In Japan they assign sitting in this posture to kids as punishment.

But yeah, generally, practice will adapt your body to it. Just try to endure increasingly long periods seated like that and eventually it becomes easy to maintain for short periods.
>>
>>36388901
what do 'slim' calves and hamstrings have to do with flexibility? also I regularly scope girls with fat natty calves.
>>
>>36388901
Thank you (and other replies)

Was curious mainly, but will probably still keep trying out things to see if this posture is viable for me as a male.

More flexibility can't be a bad thing i guess :)
>>
>>36388925
Nothing. Work on your reading comprehension bro and you'll sound less dumb.
>>
File: 1457911358656.jpg (3 KB, 117x124) Image search: [Google]
1457911358656.jpg
3 KB, 117x124
>>36388765
FtM chiming in.

I sit on my knees every so often. It's not the most comfortable position but it makes me feel cute. The week before my surgery a coworker suggested I stop sitting like that, because balls and stuff.

If I were to see another adult doing it I would think they were weird, but find them mkre interesting.
>>
>>36389033
Why would you want to become a man?
>>
>>36389033
i can sit like this an i am a man. doesn't crush my balls
>>
>>36388925
>>36389021
I felt bad so I'll tell you: less thickness inside the bend of the knee means less pressure on the ligaments on the front of the knee.
It's not really a flexibility challenge (maybe in the ankles) to most people to sit this way; it's a knee ligament one.
>>
File: u mirin seiza brah.jpg (100 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
u mirin seiza brah.jpg
100 KB, 720x480
>>36388765
it's called seiza. you do it in martial arts all the time, it's the natural resting position when your instructor is teaching you shit

it is comfortable when you get used to it. just sit in the position as long as possible. you can also but a block or a rolled up towel behind your knees if you can't reach your butt to your heels

here's a pic of me sitting in seiza in my tighty whities rn because i'm an alpha male with no idols
>>
I can get in that position easily even with my crap flexibility but it feels like all the pressure is on the bony top part of my foot.
>>
>>36389066
your comment had me rustled, I'm glad you elaborated
>>
>>36389067
makes you look kawaii breh
>>
>>36388765
>/fit/ - Fitness
>>
>>36389188
thanks broseph. just remember to practice. it's uncomfortable now cause your knees aren't used to being in full flexion, so the blood vessels are all restricted and shit. they get used to it though
>>
>>36389071
You have poor ankle flexibility then.
>>
>>36389071
this
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.