[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /fit/ think about a ketogenic diet? what do you eat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
what does /fit/ think about a ketogenic diet?

what do you eat?
>>
Seems broscience-tier desu. Basically not needing a macronutrient to survive.
>>
>>36372670
It's a great way to put unnecessary stress on your body and kill your sex drive.

There is no scientific proof of keto being better at fat loss than a regular low carb diet.
>>
>>36372670
There's no need for it. Just eat a normal fucking diet. Less to account for.
>>
>>36372729

Confirmed for not knowing how ketosis works

>>36372734

Well, your body uses your fat intake for energy consumption instead for storage. Good diets can both lead to weight loss, but ketosis can still hunger easier. The diet is harder though, there are only a few foods you can eat.
>>
there's nothing magical about keto. you lose almost exactly the same amount of weight as you would on a normal diet with the same calorie deficit. studies have shown this. that said, if you believe hard enough in a diet it will probably work for you, because the main problem with diets is making people stick to them. if you eat strictly keto you're likely to eat a deficit as well, but it's completely unnecessary for fat loss.
>>
File: 1457898489102.jpg (552 KB, 2160x1542) Image search: [Google]
1457898489102.jpg
552 KB, 2160x1542
>>36372670
Keto is great. I personally get pretty bloated on a moderate carb diet aka 200 grams a day so doing no carb not only helps me with weight loss but makes me appear thinner from lack of bloat.
>>
>>36372670
I tried it and didn't like it. You NEED whey and Greek yogurt or you won't make your protein requirements, and will probably end up gaining weight. Just don't eat a fuck ton every meal and count your calories man it's not hard.
>>
>>36372729
Senpai. You need protein to make muscle and make energy. You need fat to regulate your hormones and make energy. You only need carbohydrates to make energy - protein and fat can do it too.
>>
Cutting carbs so hard that you go to ketosis is not necessary. I advocate low carb diets for cutting.
>>
>>36372774
>>36372778
>>36372807

desu I'm interested in it for the mental clarity benefits. Every time I eat sugar or high carbs I get scatterbrain

>inb4 cut sugar and high carbs out of your diet you fucktard
>>
>>36372829
>not part of the chicken master race

Never gona make it desu.
>>
Even if it is a meme it helped me lose 90 lbs so w/e
>>
its a meme
>>
>>36372778
But a high protein diet does help cut quicker, while sparing your muscle. And because high protein sources are usually fatty
>meat, eggs, nuts

> except beans

It's a lot easier to get to a couple hundred grams of protein, while respecting your deficit, by just cutting out the bread.

Its not even that hard, you can have about 40-60 "net" carbs
>just get the piss sticks from Amazon
I make a quarter cup quinoa or brown rice on lifting days and do just fine.
>>
I'd rather kill myself than give up on carbs. Even if keto worked (which it does not, its just a shitty fad diet #63637) like magic, I'd still choose dem oats
>>
>>36372919
I realized this when I signed a lease in snap city
>>
>>36373098
high protein and high fat diets are a meme

you dont need more protein to sustain lean mass in the first place, but providing enough carbs to your body so it doesnt go catabolic is a good way to prevent loss of muscle mass
>>
>>36372842
Fat and protein can be used to produce energy but their metabolism requires many more steps than carbohydrate. Carbohydrate is the only energy source that can be metabolized without oxygen present and is the body's preferred fuel source (especially the central nervous system). Ketosis, over a long period of time, can lead to a blood pH shift that can be troublesome or fatal in people.
My opinion is to eat at a deficit and maintain regular macronutrient ratios so athletic performance doesn't suffer more than it has to while already depriving the body of energy.
>>
>>36372670
There's no reason to go on any named diet. Just be smart about what you eat (as in not junk food and soda) and eat under your tdee.

If it works for you that's great but I see no reason to restrict certain foods that aren't even bad for you.
>>
>>36372670
>start keto
>eat 20 avocados a day
who here /keto/ master race?
>>
when compared to diet w/ normal macros there is no difference in overall fat loss over time.

so do whatever diet you feel you can stick to in the long term.
>>
>>36372670
Here is my story, 7 years ago I lost about 60 pounds with just calorie counting and no keto, but I gained it all back plus about 30 pounds. I had constant cravings and felt like shit.

I restarted dieting in late 2013 on just Keto. I lost 40 pounds doing that but then stalled, then lost another 57 on Keto with calorie counting. 97 total.

When I dieted this time around, being on keto helped me deal with cravings and improved my energy levels. So while Keto may not be for everyone, I found it hugely beneficial. The big downside is that carbs make me get crazy cravings now. Nothing I can't manage but it does happen if I have something bready or sugary. But all in all doing Keto made dieting much easier and makes me feel much healthier.

>>36372734
Maybe it's just the weight loss, but Keto improved my libido quite a bit.
>>
>>36374356

tough call m8, cause frankly losing ~ 100lbs on any diet is going to cause an enormous boost in libido.
>>
>>36372734
>Keto being better than a regular low carb diet.

Please re-read that and re-think your post.

Hint: Keto IS a low carb diet.
>>
>>36372670
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/

>Conclusion: Although more long-term studies are needed before a firm conclusion can be drawn, it appears, from most literature studied, that a VLCARB is, if anything, protective against muscle protein catabolism during energy restriction, provided that it contains adequate amounts of protein.

If you want to spare muscle when cutting, keto is the way to go.
>>
If you're cutting it makes the most sense because carbs are the easiest to cut.

I did it and lost weigh pretty easily and painlessly.

I typically ate steak and veggies for dinner. Lunch I'd do sandwiches with low carb wraps.

Snacks I'd eat veggies, jerky, meat products, etc.
>>
Its back up energy in case you get lost in sea
>>
>>36374609
>Lunch I'd do sandwiches with low carb wraps.

When I realized I could make quesadillas with those, life changing.

Also sloppy joe "wraps". omg.
>>
>>36374644

Fuck - I didn't even think of quesadillas with them, dunno why.

Not doing keto atm but might again soon - will keep it in mind!
>>
Keto will help you shed water weight, which is good if you're a body builder getting ready for competition, or a pro fighter getting ready for weigh in, or just trying to get shredded before spring break or something

But to do it all the time offers no benefit over just eating at a deficit. And it comes with a considerable drawback: massively decreased endurance because of lowered equilibrium glycogen levels.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.