[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get in shape with only dumbbells?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: ExcPlan1.png (1 MB, 1565x2040) Image search: [Google]
ExcPlan1.png
1 MB, 1565x2040
Hey /fit/, recently I've recovered from a pretty long illness that left me an atrophied tub of lard and now I want to get back into shape. Problem is I don't really have money for a gym membership or equipment, all I have is a set of dumbbells. I put together this workout around that fact. So what are the flaws? What could I substitute or add? Is there any chance of getting reasonably fit with only dumbbells until I can afford some new equipment?
>>
>>36372484
Dumbbell shoulder press is going to fuck up your spinal cord..

Lying leg raise never works
>>
File: DB-Front-Squat.jpg (18 KB, 427x207) Image search: [Google]
DB-Front-Squat.jpg
18 KB, 427x207
>>36372484
>>
File: 1438557829589s.jpg (5 KB, 250x166) Image search: [Google]
1438557829589s.jpg
5 KB, 250x166
>>36372484
OP dont troll.
Everyone knows you would do those exercises in the opposite order. (read right to left).
no bully
>>
File: 1431509467543.jpg (40 KB, 565x566) Image search: [Google]
1431509467543.jpg
40 KB, 565x566
>>36372484
curlbro

Get a few sets of curls in, so you don't accidentally get any results from your rows.
>>
>>36372484
All the exercises in the attached picture are going to help, but after a certain point you won't be able to progressively overload once you've maxed out on your heaviest kettlebells.

If you are truly that strapped for cash I suggest supplementing with a sandbag - they are cheap and sand or road salt is also cheap. It allows progressive overload and you can de-lard yourself by deadlifting it, squatting it, pressing it and doing loaded carries with it. (Or combinations, like clean to press to overhead carry). You will probably see more total body benefits from the sandbag.
>>
>>36372709
In four months or so I'll probably have money for barbells and an incline bench. I'm still not supposed to eat too much protein so I don't expect any huge gains anyway, just get to a non-crippled level of strength by the time I have the cash to do unrestricted workouts. I completely overlooked the sandbag thing, have a couple filled ones lying in my garage, thanks.
>>
>>36372484
>dumbbell sit-ups
I don't know if it's just because it's a pic of a woman but that shit looks pointless as hell.
>>
what weight are your dumbbells?
>>
>>36373808
With the heaviest weights each is 2x5kg+6x2.5kg plus 1 or 2kg handle (I'm not sure.)
So 26/27kg max per dumbbell.
>>
that's not bad
honestly there's dumbbell variations for most exercises just look them up on exrx

e.g. dumbbell squat, dumbbell deadlift, etc.
it would behoove you to get heavier weights eventually. a barbell would be ideal, but if it's a space issue there probably isn't a solution

any routines we usually talk about would probably work. I'd do SL5x5 and add pull-ups/chinups, bent over shoulder raise, concentration curls, and dumbbell tricep extensions

for info on any lifts just Google "exrx [lift name]" or if you want to work a specific muscle just check their directories

Leg work will be your hardest thing since they require a lot heavier weights

also do some form of cardio twice a week. Low intensity, such as walking jogging or cycling

for abs do hanging leg raises and planks
>>
>>36374364
I talked to a friend and he's willing to trade in an olympic bar and plates that allow me to go from 20kg to 97.5kg in 2.5kg increment - for my dumbbells and some of my other shit.

Would doing that and going for SL5X5 be the best? I'm just worried that I wouldn't have a spotter most of the time and no cage/rack.
>>
I've used just dumbbells from time to time and I probably don't do anything efficiently, but at times I had access to only dumbells and no guide so just went with this: Note everything was 4x12:
>Back/Bi's:
Chin-ups- 4x12 (or as best you can do, try not to push to failure, try and do 4 consistent sets rather than 2 big ones 2 small ones etc)
DB Rows
One Arm DB Rows
Curls for the girls
>Chest:
DB Bench
DB Flies
DB Pullovers
Pushups
Tricep Kickbacks
Tricep Extensions
>Shoulders/Core:
DB Shoulder-Press
Palm-Inwards DB Shoulder Press
Lateral Raises
Dumbell Situps
Note- I have exploding knees so basically cannot do any leg work. I was also during this time doing sprint training 4x a week, lost a bit of mass but cut bodyfat so incredibly well.
>>
>>36372484
http://www.ergo-log.com/how-training-light-weights-as-effective-heavy-weights.html
>>
>>36374900
yeah that's the problem with a barbell at home, you pretty much need a power cage to be safe. And you need a pricy one to be able to adjust the pins to the right height for bench that it can save you but doesn't limit ROM
>>
>>36375236
Yeah, the best would probably be to sell my shit and go for a membership. It's gonna suck though: a 120kg guy showing up and doing empty-bar presses surrounded by cardio bitches and bros, thinking back to when I was 80kg and did it with 125kg. Vanity's a bitch.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.