[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
back rounding in squats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1425424785939.jpg (85 KB, 707x500) Image search: [Google]
1425424785939.jpg
85 KB, 707x500
Hey /fit/, been going to the gym since the new year and as I approach 2pl8 squat I've been getting serious back pain. Turns out as I reach about 5 degrees above parallel my back starts to round, and as I get below parallel I achieve ultimate cat back mode.

How do I fix this?
>>
Hard to tell without a video really, there are so many different cases.

But start with mobility exercises. Increase your ankle dorsiflexion, get olympic weightlifting shoes etc.
>>
Is it a strength issue or something else?
>>
>>36369066
would doing the molding mobility program in the sticky be adequate?
>>36369072
It feels like flexibility. Been trying to straighten out my back at the bottom and I feel a tightness in my hips and the like preventing me.
>>
>>36369072
upper back strength issue
>>
>>36369049
If not from the sticky then
http://yashathoughts.com/mobility/
>>
Back extensions for warmup everytime. Even if it doesn't help your rounding it'll at least help against back pains.
>>
>>36369089
Make sure to have your upper back tight as shit (a very narrow grip can help with this) and force your elbows under the bar as you reverse in the hole. I guess these tips are mainly for low bar, might work for high bar as well but I have never liked high bar so I never do it and have read nothing about it.
>>
>>36369118
I do low bar. I thought you were supposed to have your hands as far apart as possible though?
>>
>>36369138
What? No, not at all. Many super heavies or banged up benchers have their hands far apart because that's what their elbow mobility allows. If you look at most lifters they have their hands fairly close and most say that they have them as close as their flexibility allows.
>>
>>36369138
Look at the beginning of this video and he talks about grip width and upper back tightness. On second thought, look through it all it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vu3eG5zWas
>>
Keep upper back tight.
I am 99% sure it's a mobiilty issue, most likely hips/glutes.
>>
>>36369205
is there a specific program you'd recommend for improving that kind of mobility? My hips are definitely very tight. Hamstrings too.
>>36369165
>>36369194
Wow I feel like an idiot now. Thanks guys, I'm sure that will help.
>>
Guys I have a squat question too. I've been greatly increasing my squat but I still can't go below parallel, even with basically no weight. I think it's a flexibility issue honestly, is there anything specifically I can do to increase flexibility or just keep squatting? I think I'm the least flexible person alive.
>>
>>36369194
Not the one you are replying to, but thanks for the tip. I've been gradually moving my grip wider over time on squats and this video made me realize I need to bring them way back in as I wasn't holding my back tight at all.
>>
Low bar is a trade off technique. A squat exerts shear forces in either the knees or the lower back, high bar favours knee shear forces, whereas the low bar does lower back. With good technique low bar can result in being able to lift very heavy weights but for people who haven't got technique and mobility down, you can hurt yourself.
Same goes for high bar, but different injuries, I guess.

Anyway, watch some candito squat technique videos. He honestly has the nicest form out there, short of lifetime Olympic athletes
>>
>>36371105
Stretch every day.
Hamstrings, quads, calves, hip flexors, groin muscles etc.
>>
>>36371105
Try putting 10lb plates under your heels
>>
>>36371105
Deep Squats - Push your knees out with your elbows - Hold for 60 secs.
>>
Is there anything wrong with squatting barefoot?
>>
>>36371310
The vast majority of people don't have the ankle, calf and hamstring flexibility.
>>
>>36369049
If you do not round with lighter weights, it most likely is a strength issue. work on your whole back strength with related exercices, also, you can rep the hell out of weights which dont make your back round.
Getting Oly shoes and working on your Hamstring flexibility might also help.
>>
>>36371294
Isn't that just gonna make the problem worse. It's like putting electrical tape over you engine light.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.