[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be 19 >Joining Air Force through ROTC to become an officer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 195x258
>Be 19
>Joining Air Force through ROTC to become an officer
>Been athlete my whole life, pretty good shape but I'm a starving skeleton
>Barely above the Air Force requirement of "minimum weight"
>Get medically tested with a DoDMERB (Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board)
>Heart is racing at appointment
>Never noticed that before
>He asks if I have any history with heart racing and I say no and that no doctor has ever brought up my heart rate
>Rights it off as me just being nervous and I pass my DoDMERB
>A year later and my heart rate is still pretty high most of the time (around 80-90 beats per minute usually, sometimes 100+ when I start getting nervous about my heart being unhealthy)
>Notice it gets higher when I am paying attention to it
>Still play multiple sports and run a 5:07 mile last time I tracked it

How unhealthy is it that my heart rate is like this? Does it matter if I am in shape and workout a lot?

Also, ever since I started coming to this board I've been wanting to put on weight since I am so thin. Will the extra weight from a successful bulk slow my heart rate down to healthy BPM?

Sorry if this is annoying but I'm pretty scared about my heart and if I get formally diagnosed with something from a doctor then I will likely get kicked from the Air Force. That's why I'm coming to you guys
>>
>>36361996
writes it off* please don't make fun of me I'm not an idiot

Also idk if It's important but I'm 5 foot 10 inches and 132 pounds
>>
you don't know what your problem is so how are you even going to fix it?

you believe your heart rate is higher than average, but you haven't had any tests done. heart rates can fluctuate due to a myriad of reasons. you can't solve a problem without first knowing what is causing the problem. stop wasting everyone's time and delete this thread
>>
I dunno, I'm in the same situation, with my BPM usually 110+ even at rest. My dentist has been complaining about it, so I'm planning on asking my doctor the next time I go in for a physical.

Also, if you put on weight, make sure you do cardio while you do it. Putting on 50 pounds either as fat, or muscle makes no difference to your heart. If you don't do cardio while putting on weight, you'll have a weak heart, trying to supply a heavier body, and that's no good. I fell for the no cardio meme when I put on 70 pounds, and I regret it every day. I'm getting it caught up nicely, though.
>>
>>36362025
>5'10" 132lbs
>>
>>36362090
Just want general ideas to be honest, I'm not looking for an exact diagnosis

>>36362121
When my doctor saw my heart rate he asked me things like "Do you ever feel light headed randomly? Do you ever feel out of breath? Do you ever feel nauseous randomly?"

I've never had any of that happen and then he listened to my heart and said it sounded perfectly healthy so that's why he passed me I think.

I do lots of cardio as is with swimming and running but I'll be sure to keep it up.

Thanks and good luck with your heart!
>>
>>36362143
I know ;_;

In high school and freshman year of college I was really unhealthy. It wasn't uncommon for me to just skip meals randomly because I didn't feel like making food. Then on top of that I continued playing sports/cardio so I just stayed thin.

I'm working on it though!
>>
File: 1447636940402.png (496 KB, 500x5421) Image search: [Google]
1447636940402.png
496 KB, 500x5421
>>36362150
Well, I realized I was trolled when I couldn't go up stairs without getting out of breath. Aside from that, my blood pressure was fine, I just had a high BPM, which I've always had, even before getting /fit/.

I threw myself onto the Tabata Method, and I rarely get out of breath anymore, but my BPM is still very high.
>>
>>36361996
probably health anxiety, had it myself for a while now and has made me feel like I really am at death's door a few times

go to a doctor and after they've examined your heart bring up the possibility of anxiety, or specifically health anxiety.

This isn't some made up sissy mental illness bullshit just to get you to shell out on medication, health anxiety causes you to have phantom symptoms that are genuinely painful or uncomfortable and make you feel like you have something life threatening. What's more, not getting it checked out will only compound everything that's wrong right now even more.

I've had the same feeling you're having now, and it's due to being too focused on your heart, making it feel more pronounced than it actually is, and in turn causing you to have a panic response which makes it beat even harder and faster
>>
My resting bpm is something like 80. When I do the slightest hint of cardio it gets up to 190-200 permanently until I finish the session.
I was concerned at first but now I don't really think about it and never got it checked.
>>
>high resting heart rate
>5:07 mile
Yeah, right. Pretty much 90% of Vo2max is predictable by resting heart rate alone, the lower the RHR the higher the Vo2max. And you are basically telling us that you can run a mile in 5 minutes with a vo2max of a 70 year old man.
Get your RHR properly measured.
>>
>>36363219
That's what I was saying earlier, though. I guess I should get a machine to monitor it throughout the day but every time I measure it myself I can actually feel my heart rate speeding up and then it'll stay high for as long as I am thinking about it.

I don't know if it goes down when I'm not thinking about it, but everytime I check it's high.

I think the health anxiety guy is probably right
>>
>>36363266
so basically you can't measure your heart rate.
>>
>>36363473
Yeah I guess that's what I'm saying.

Need someone/something else to do it
>>
Does your heart beat harder and faster than normal when exercising, and does it take a while to go down after exercising?
>>
>>36363786
Yes it increases pace and I believe it gets harder but I'm not sure.

Could you define "a while?" It usually only takes a few minutes of resting before it's not racing at exercise speeds
>>
So your heart rate jumps cause you worry about your heart rate....sounds like you have anxiety and start to have mini panic attacks.
>>
>>36363877
A couple minutes sitting down and 5-10 standing.
You might have POTS Syndrome
>>
>>36361996
>in b4 replying when last post 3 hours ago
The anons are right with how you seem to have health anxiety. But, how is your diet? You sound like you have the same issue I had, iron deficiency anemia. If you don't eat a lot of greens and go for chicken more than red meat, there you go. You even said you skipped meals before.
When I had it, my resting was 111+ beats per minute. I couldn't go up a flight of stairs without feeling winded. It might be disqualifying medical condition with the USAF if it's severe, but even then, it's about 6 months of iron supplements.
Best thing to do is listen to everyone else and get checked by a doc. You'll feel better knowing your issue is being investigated.
>>
Get one of the FitBits that constantly monitors your heartbeat.
>>
>>36362121

> BPM usually 110+ even at rest

uhh yeah thats very bad and indicative of something going wrong with the heart.

sounds like you have an arrhythmia, and tachycardia is one of the more serious ones you can have.
>>
>>36366043
>6 months of iron
Meant 2-6 months. And I'm not saying you got anemia, just a theory. Don't worry.

>>36366099
Tachy is a mild-moderate cause for concern. Bad if it's over 120 bpm with chest pain, or other issues. I'm a nurse, seen lots of people with sinus tachy doing just fine, but we like to look into it at least. There are tons of causes for it, some are no big deal.
>>
File: legit.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
legit.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
>>36363786
literally everyone's heart beats faster and harder while working out you fucking retard. how the fuck else is your heart supposed to deliver more oxygenated blood more quickly aside from beating harder and faster? christ all fucking mighty.

do you eat food when you are hungry?
do you sleep when you are tired?
>>
>>36366350
I meant more than it usually does when excercising, fucktard.
>>
>>36366421
You know what, when I just started cross country it would take forever for my heart rate to go down after a run, set, lap, whatever, but after a couple weeks it took less time

Your advice is useless, op should see a doctor if he is concerned instead of us retarded anons on the internet
>>
>>36362121
>Putting on 50 pounds either as fat, or muscle makes no difference to your heart.

The former comes with vascular resistance and many non-hemodynamic factors such as insulin resistance, glucolipotoxicity, oxidative stress, and chronic systemic inflammation. The latter is normal adaptive remodelling in response to increased metabolic demand and blood volume without any significant elevation in heart rate. There are a lot of good reasons to do cardio but this isn't one of them.
>>
>>36361996
If you are really worried, you can always get one of those all day heart rate monitors. I got my wife one of those fitbit ones for christmas. She wears it all day and at the end of the day it shows what her average heart rate was, the resting rate, and has a chart showing her heart rate throughout the whole day so she can pinpoint when she was stressed out/anxies/being lazy and etc etc.

A lot of people would say it's a waste of money. But if you're specifically worried about your heart rate and it spikes when you're trying to measure it. It could be a good investment.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.