[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sure many of you /fit/izens are pretty socially stunted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1396922889279.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1396922889279.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
I'm sure many of you /fit/izens are pretty socially stunted guys, how did you overcome the incredible pressure when you first started working out?

I've got no problems going to the gym, but when it comes to setting up barbells or anything other than cardio, I feel like the world is on my shoulders. Someone else is always using the equipment, and when I finally do stop fumbling around I'm too scared to see if I have proper form. I may just have to go dead at night, but I know that's just avoiding the problem. There's bound to be a scenario in the future where I'll have to get over my social autism.

Any advice?
I'd read the sticky again, but I know it doesn't cover these topics.
>>
>>36353945
yol(ift)o
or homegym masterrace
>>
>>36353945

if you are over 20 years old you need to stop being a faggot

if you are under then i guess you are just an awkward teenager..i see many of them around my gym...the only thing is that no one cares so you should literally not worry at all but as i went through the same thing when i first started i know it isn't easy to snap out of it especially when you feel self-conscious about your own body
>>
>>36353945
I've never been full social retard or anything, but I get nervous from time to time.

Anyway the most freeing thing I ever realized is that no one gives a shit about you. Think of how many faces you remember that you pass in the street, or how many you remember from the gym? Almost none likely.

To answer your question I just walk up to a machine and read it. I've been working out for around 8 years and when I switch gyms or move I still shamelessly read the instructions on machines. I also watch a lot of youtube to ensure my form is correct.

Also value learning over being correct, I was misusing a machine not that long ago and someone corrected me, I could have blushed shit my pants and run out crying or whatever a greentexter would have done, but I thanked him and was grateful he saved me from snap city.
>>
home gym
>>
>>36353957
>>36353973
>>36353983
I'm definitely not claiming to be some kind of special snowflake, I can assure you.
I've been dealing with anxiety every day for the past 21 years, and there's nothing that rubs me the wrong way more than people who try and use it to their advantage these days.

I understand that everybody is in it for themselves, but when you have a large number of people wanting to use equipment I can't help but feel rushed and nervous. Even just looking at equipment and seeing if I'm using the right things makes me sweat.
>>
>>36353945
If you know what you are doing, nobody bats an eye.
Just take the plunge and play around on the weights. Good times for rocking up are 6am- 10am, or 8pm - 11pm if you want a few people there, but not a crowd.
>>
>>36354038
Is going during off hours until you're comfortable an option?
>>
>>36354038
time to condition yourself to stop caring
>>
>>36354038

Have you thought about switching to a bigger gym? Maybe if you are visiting a small local gym feelings like that may be more apparent due to the cramp-ness. By the way, you shouldn't really be feeling like you should rush your workout because someone is waiting. Normally if someone wants to use a piece of equipment you are using they will ask politely, you have to tell them how long you will be. It's that simple.
>>
>>36354038
They have to wait their turn like everyone else. It first come first serve. If the equipment you want is being used have an alternative to work the the same muscle group and ask how many sets they have left. They'll how many sets you have left if they want to use what you're using.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 417x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 417x426
Go to your gym at 2 am, everyone there is either embaressed or dyel
>>
>>36354049
>>36354047
Currently it would have to be evenings, just now I went at 9:30 PM and it was still fairly packed. I may have to push it later, but classes make that difficult.
At the moment I am wanting to start SS, so it's pretty much limited to barbells.
>>
>>36354038
In a busy gym there are a few things at play when it comes to equipment like barbells.

1. If you are using it correctly
People are impatient when they see people just messing around. It doesn't matter if you got there first, because like you, they have time constraints, and you're not even using it properly.

2. If you are using sufficient weight to justify using a rack.
Eg. Squat rack, if you squat less than 50kg, use a pre-loaded barbell.

3. How long you take to recover/ use the equipment if you are using sufficient weight.
Say you're squatting 50kg, people aren't gunna give you the stink-eye, because even though it's a low weight, you're at least training. They will, however, give you the stink eye if you spend 5 minutes recovering from squatting 50kg 8 times. It shows you don't have a proper routine, and you don't have a definitive amount of sets left, because people that don't have routines do 20 sets of things. That makes people angry.
>tl;dr If you can demonstrate that you are following a program, and not doing millions of reps, and don't take an eon to recover, then you're good.

It's an entirely different story when you lift heavy weights though. It's other people who are the ones with anxiety. They stay clear, don't ask to work in, or hover around annoying you.
>>
what fucking pressure cunt

what the fuck are you even talking about.

if you're not able to handle the 'pressure' of being in the same room as people then just accept the fact you're not meant to breed.
>>
>>36353945
I am so incredibly socially stunted that I never ever had any problems going to the gym at all
I went wearing my shirt backwards, broke my phone, choked on water, did squats, all kinds of autistic looking things but just somehow I can't be bothered
It's like the other people don't even register of my radar anymore
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.