[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Incline Vs Flat bench
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
When it comes to being an overall superior lift which one do you guys think is better?

My opinion is this. Yes, there are many people that do chest to simply bench press more weight and the best way to do that is flat bench itself. But from a bodybuilding standpoint the incline press and db incline will shine. I have gotten my best mass gains in chest, delts, and tris when i was doing Incline as my primary chest exercise.

So lets hear what you guys think because most of the people i have talked to in the gym disagree with me.
>>
Incline bench all day for me. It's more challenging than flat, and my shoulders (problem area for me) have improved a lot since switching.
>>
Can confirm. Still doing both, but incline has helped me a lot. Cannot say it is superior, though, since I have no real evidence.

It's just very useful.
>>
File: attachment[1].jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
attachment[1].jpg
85 KB, 640x480
I've read in a couple magazines recently that hitting incline hard instead of flat bench will result in a more "square" shape to the chest (from the building of the upper chest muscle). In fact, there is a quote from a bodybuilding.com article below:

"The solution to droopy pecs is simple but radical: never do anything on a flat or decline bench again."

>pic related
droopy pecs from to much flat PL style benching
>>
>>36344798
that's genetics

flat/decline/incline doesn't change your insertions

don't read fitness magazines to learn biomechanics of lifting
95% of stuff there is broscience
>>
>>36344881
He's not that wrong. Most people lift very heavy on flat bench and then far lighter on incline. Ends up with less aesthetic chest. Trick is to do incline flys at varying heights
>>
>>36344881
>don't read fitness magazines to learn biomechanics of lifting
>95% of stuff there is broscience

Most yes. But BB.com is legit
>>
File: 1456495603172.jpg (33 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
1456495603172.jpg
33 KB, 600x594
>>36344944

>BB.com is legit
>>
>>36344944
stop
>>
There are two types of "droopy" chests:

One caused by excessive development of the lower chest,

and one caused by the natural shape of the chest.

Your upper pecs, like calves and side delts, can never be too big.
>>
4 year lift here. Chest is probably one of my best bodypart.

I do PPLxPPL

3x5 flat bench
3x8 incline bench

that's all i do for chest (apart of my push day), twice a week.

you def want flat bench in specifically for the progressive overload capabilities, i shunned away from flat for a long time and going back to it i definitely saw major improvements in overall chest development.
>>
>>36345035
so you do your push day AND 2 separate 'chest days'? or wtf?
>>
>>36344956

Hey, if it weren't for BB.com I wouldn't know how to confuse my muscles.
>>
>>36345051
no

PPL

>Push
3x5 flat bench (focus = overload)
3x5 military press (focus = overload)
3x8 incline bench (focus = pump)
3x8-12 lateral raises (focus = pump)
3x8-12 skullcrushes (focus = pump)

That's literally all my push day is.

>Pull
1x3-5 deadlift (focus = overload)
3x5 barbell row (focus = overload)
4x6-8 weighted chinup/pullup or 4xFail (focus = (weighted) overload (BW fail) pump)
3x8-12 barbell curls (focus = pump)
3x15-20 rear delt fly (focus = pump)
2x12-15 barbell rows (focus = overload/pump)

>Lower
3x5 back squat (focus = overload)
3x6-8 front squat (focus = overload/pump)
3x12-15 barbell calf raise (focus = pump)
3x12-20 weighted ab-roller (focus = pump)
2x[Time] Stomach Vacuums
>>
>>36345100
So I don't know where that 'apart' is coming from.

also

>deadlift on pull day
>1x5

disgusting
>>
>>36344693
Why dies everything on /fit/ have to be "vs." Just do both you fucking autist.
>>
>>36345051

I think he meant "a part" not "apart"
>>
File: 11062013229598285[1].jpg (86 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
11062013229598285[1].jpg
86 KB, 400x250
>>36345115
>Why dies everything
>>
>>36344693
>>36345115
This op just do both they are both good workouts for their different things.
>>
>>36344944
As legit as them frauding their suplements and being fined over it lol.
>>
>>36345114
>doing anything other than 1 set of deadlifts

doing it wrong m8
>>
>>36344693
I do both and enjoy both. Flat is great because you can push a lot more weight and the movement is easy however I feel like incline works the shoulders more and you can see your form in the mirror. I do find if I put too much weight on incline, my lower back starts to hurt because of the downward force but it's nothing that I can't control.

I'd say do both for max gains.
>>
>>36345114
>diddy
>not a pull

Explain this faggotry at once
>>
>>36345195

Not who you're asking, but when people talk about pulls balancing out pushes, they're talking about scapular retraction. You do biceps on pull day because it's hard to pull without them, but the DL doesn't involve any scapular motion and it does involve the quads, the glutes and the hamstrings (and the traps to some degree).
>>
>>36345195
by analogy

>squat
>not a push

see where I'm going?
>>
>>36344693
i think my flat bench technique must be crap because i dont feel it in my chest so much afterward, but when i do incline i totally do.
>>
>>36345585
you wont feel shit in your chest before 2pl8 doing flat, because it hits all your chest area pretty equally. Just lift heavy and do heavier over time.
>>
>>36344693
Fug, I just to all 3.
>>
>>36344693
I switched to doing incline as my primary chest exercise recently as well, and I gotta say it's made a huge difference. Over the last 12 weeks I've seen a huge change in my chest size and definition, and a really clear, attractive distinction between my chest and shoulders. I'm kicking myself for no doing this sooner.
>>
>Doing barbell bench press for chest
>Ever

>Doing flat press
>Ever

I seriously fucking hope you guys don't this.

Everyone and their brother knows to only use dumbbells and to only do incline and decline with an emphasis on incline, and to also incorporate cable flies.

Only acceptable barbell, flat press is closed grip for triceps.
>>
>>36346886
>Only acceptable barbell, flat press is closed grip for triceps.

This guy knows what's up.
>>
On bench days:
>3x5 flat bench
>4xf dips to failure (currently 7-8 reps)
Is it too late for me?
>>
>>36347829
Newfag here, what does 3x5 mean? 3 sets of 5 reps or what?
>>
>mfw my pecs feel hard af when flex but still got man tits
>>
>>36348061

read the sticky faggot

You will never make it because you can't even read the fucking sticky
>>
>>36348061
Honestly read the sticky.
You'll learn so much more than you will by just browsing.
>>
>>36344798
P sure droopy pecs is solved by cutting
>>
>>36345182
>still applying the principles of SS
>>
>flat benching goes decently
>incline benching, even at low weight, starts hurting really bad really quick, despite me doing it for 3 months now
What is wrong with me?
>>
>>36344693
this is under the assumption that the incline, in spite of being lighter, is significantly better at targeting and developing upper chest than the flat. but it's just that - an assumption.

given the choice of one or the other, flat is better for overall chest development than incline.

the rest of this thread is useless anecdotal evidence from people who've been lifting for a couple years and broscientists talking about 'overtraining the lower pec'
>>
>>36347829
Dips mainly hits lower chest
And if you do flat bench powerlifting style, with a big arch, that also mainly hits lower chest
>>
incline press, whether it be barbell or dumbell, fucks my shoulder up big time. I have an impingement and incline presses are one of the things that make it hurt like hell instantly. i dont have any issues on flat or decline
>>
>>36345182
That is for fulllbody routines with higher deadlift frequency.

On a PPL split, you need more volume
>>
whats better for grills - flat ot incline? which type will lead to perkier boobs?
>>
>>36350343
the muscle won't effect how your boobs look, unless you're really flat.

good posture will make your boobs look perkier.
>>
>people think excessively training flat bench will give you moobs

when will this meme end
in practical terms you will see virtually no difference between sternal and clavicular pec development

there is a difference in activation but it's negligible and because of insertions you won't even be able to tell. The main difference is that incline has a ton of shoulder involvement so you can handle less weight as shoulders fatigue quickly
>>
Why not do both? Won't both improve your overall chest?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.