[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I told my mom about my gym progress and she lectured me about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 317x315) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6 KB, 317x315
I told my mom about my gym progress and she lectured me about how I need to stop paying attention to the scale and "just live my life."

Why is it so common for people who go to the gym and set goals for themselves to meet resistance from their family and "friends?" Everyone here talks about it all the time. There's always that one person in /fit/'s life that discourages going to the gym. What is their motivation to do so? I'm pissed off at my mom.
>>
>>36336765
Because keeping track of macros and excercising religiously looks obsessive to normies.
>>
>>36336765
I know the feeling, my mum says my weight is fine despite being around 22% bf
>>
File: 1457376607879.png (46 KB, 185x313) Image search: [Google]
1457376607879.png
46 KB, 185x313
>start working out
>"Anon are you working out so you can beat someone up?"
>>
>>36336765
>mom
Move out and she won't be able to say anything. But I get what you're saying and no one knows the answer. Skinny, fat, doesn't matter everyone seems to have that opinion. When they tell you you should be happy with your body just the way it is say you aren't but you think you can be. Ask them why they are trying to stop you from improving yourself.

Unless they claim the doctors are wrong, then just walk away.
>>
People want you to do well, but not better than them. The more you progress, the worse they appear by contrast. Being unwilling to improve themselves, their only recourse left is to sabotage you.
>>
>>36336838
I am moved out, this was the first time I visited her in 8 months. I just thought she should know how I am doing and I mentioned my gym progress and I am lifting over 100 lbs. more than I used to on some lifts. I was proud. But for some reason she took a shit on my accomplishment and said I am too obssessed.
>>
>>36336805
Yeah, you.
>>
>>36336970
stop being a bitch and laugh it of
>>
>>36336970
The US has a pretty big culture of apathy. You look strange if you actually enjoy doing something and know a lot about it. Unless it's a television show.

Fuck 'er OP. You're doing something you like or want to do. That's all that matters
>>
>>36336765
My mother constantly nags me whenever I visit home that I'm too skinny and that I must've lost weight recently because oh my god i'm going to die because I'm anorexic etc etc

Funny thing is that I've actually gained weight because I'm trying to build up muscle now, but she still goes down the whole "you need to eat more because you're anorexic" route regardless.
>>
I'm in my 30s, and I've spent my whole life growing as a person,developing new skills, and adjusting my lifestyle. The thing I've noticed is that people close to me will always be skeptical of any changes in my life at first. The only exception is changes that make me more similar to them.

One of the biggest examples was when I upgraded my fashion. I went through a transition where I was still learning and sometimes dressing really goofy. My family, especially, gave me shit during this time, not in a serious way, but like joking about my clothes. Some of my friends did, too. It's not that they wanted to hold me back, or that they were bucket crabs, it was just that I was behaving differently than normal, and it was a little weird for them at first. Eventually, I kind of developed my own sense of style, and now nobody thinks anything of it because I have been incorporating more flavor into my outfits for years.

When I started getting fit, some of my friends asked "why would you bother? Why would you care about having abs?" On my cuts, I get "but you don't need to lose weight," especially from my fat friends. These people aren't being malicious. They genuinely don't understand why I care so much about something that hardly registers to them. I'm sure I've acted the same way before, too.

So don't be pissed. Don't accuse the skeptics of trying to keep you down. Don't blame people for not getting why fitness is important to you. Just stay the course, and by this time next year, everyone will have probably long accepted that fitness is a big part of your life. And when your best friend suddenly becomes obsessed with limestone carving, try to remember how it feels to step out and passionately pursue something that nobody else you know is enthusiastic about.
>>
When I had been sober 5 years I told my mom, she said "Yeah, so's the dog."

She didn't care about the numbers, she just wanted me to be healthy and happy. Fitness is the same thing. Nobody that isn't a part of it cares about the numbers, they just want you to be happy and healthy. It's not like they're digging at you, they just don't understand and don't really care beyond "He's doing something that makes him happy." Just tell your mom that you're enjoying things and feeling better than ever.
>>
>>36337052
she's just trying to help you get those gains.
>>
>>36336800
I know this feel
Normies just think anything under 30% is acceptable
>>
>>36336800
>>36337108
>oh don't worry about it anon you look fine :3 You will make a lady very happy one day, I'm just not ready for a relationship right now -Stacy

>goes and fucks some muscled guy who is 2 times bigger than you and well defined, in a relationship 1 month later

Why do normalfags lie to your fucking face and say you look fine, then only associate with people who look better than you? Clearly I'm not just fine, I need to be better.
>>
>>36337141
Because, women especially, don't like saying they hate something about you to your face. They'd rather just lie.
>>
File: 1449509026367s.jpg (7 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
1449509026367s.jpg
7 KB, 237x213
>>36337250
Why though?
>>
File: 1327090556386.jpg (58 KB, 360x349) Image search: [Google]
1327090556386.jpg
58 KB, 360x349
Exact opposite feels

>Gain 10lbs lbm
>Go down to ~15% bf
>Dad doesn't notice or care
>Doesn't say a thing

Just want my dad to mire me.
>>
>>36337086
>When I had been sober 5 years I told my mom, she said "Yeah, so's the dog."

I'm actually laughing here. This is beautiful, someone should use it in a TV show or something.
>>
>>36337541
we mire it bro
we mire it
>>
>>36336765
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
>>
>>36337415
Because they care a ton about how they're perceived and it's more well-received to be kind to a fault than to appear even slightly harsh through honesty.
>>
>>36336805
Are you not?
>>
>>36337141
Let me translate what Stacy is saying. You appear to stupid to get it

"Your looks don't matter as long as you remain an autistic creep with shitty personality"

Your body is not the problem, lmao
>>
>start working out
>"Anon are you working out so you can get (girl I dated 10 years ago) back?"

Thanks, Johnnie.
>>
>>36336765
>I told my mom about my gym progress
Rule of thumb: if you need to tell people about your gains, you've made no gains
>>
You can't win with moms. I'm either "too fat, too skinny, or my arms look too manly"
I've learned to stop giving a shit, talk about something else because normies will act like you're trying to convert them to islam when you mention your fitness regimen.
>>
>>36336765
Leaving humanity behind is not without resistance, anon
>>
>start bulking
>"Anon, you gotta watch your diet, you used to look so good"
Jeez ma
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.