[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Little Army Dude looking to get big
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: army.jpg (5 KB, 151x151) Image search: [Google]
army.jpg
5 KB, 151x151
Alright. I've got a unique problem, and I really can't seem to eliminate it. I'm really lanky guy 6'2 170 lb in the US Army. I'm trying to get bigger, but nothing is working. If I had time/ability to do an actual strength training program, I could probably get big, but the problem is, in my unit we do bodyweight exercises or runs every single day. We'll run anywhere from 3-6 miles, and do pushups situps flutter kicks until muscle failure multiple times per workout session. We run about 3-4 times a week. I've had a problem with eating too little, but the past or so month, I have been cramming everything into my mouth that I can get my hands on. On top of that, I drink a milk protein shake every day. The workouts that we do leave me so sapped, that I can't bring myself to go to the gym after work. Some days, I can barely lift my arms above my head. Even with all of that, I am not getting bigger. My arms and wrists are still skinny, and I am now what you would call skinnyfat. The fat that I have, is on my belly and ass. What do you recommend? I have contemplated getting on gear, but I am 19 and worry about it fucking me up. Any help?
>>
You're not really going to gain any weight without progressive overload resistance training, especially not with the amount of conditioning you're doing
>>
>>36329747
>6'2 170
> I'm trying to get bigger, but nothing is working.
Have you tried eating food?
>>
>>36329747
Have you considered that you are exactly how the Army wants you?
>>
Track what you're eating and start lifting after work. No, it's not the easiest thing in the world, but there are plenty of jacked grunts in garrison despite constant PT and trips to the field.

Gear would be a pointless risk for you at this point, without knowing what you're doing regarding diet and exercise you'll have all the potential side effects and risks to deal with but very little of the benefit.
>>
>>36329747

You'll just have to suck it up and hit a gym.

Don't use gear, you WILL get surprise piss-tested.
>>
>>36329786
Army piss tests don't test for gear. Your CO has to suspect you are on gear to test. Reason being that steroid testing is different/more expensive than the regular 5 or so drugs they test for with a couple they rotate
>>
>>36329786
Gear doesn't show up on piss tests, they need to run separate tests your CO needs to specifically request on a case by case basis.

There are lots of other reasons for OP to stay off, though.
>>
>>36329747
>he fell for the "welfare queen with an AR 15" meme
>>
>>36329775
I have, and it isn't. I'm a grunt, and all of my other squadmates are fucking ripped.
>>
>>36329812
t. Muhammed Abdul Kashir
>>
>>36329825
Then they must be hitting the weights after PT. Do what they do.
>>
>>36329825
Ask them what they do. Which, if theyre anything like me and my guys, is take a big ole rip of preworkout after getting off work, and go lift some heavy ass weights.

Seriously. Get some pwo. Dont overdo it and get desensitized right off the bat and not be able to sleep for three days, but try a 1/2 scoop of pwo about 30 minutes before the gym with some gatorade.

Then eat a big ass meal with a lot of carbs after working out. Then get as much sleep as possible before pt.

Not trolling, start out with SS for two months, get your basic compounds up a bit, then hop on something with more volume and eat motherfucker.
>>
>>36329846
Any specific program I should do? Reason I'm asking is if there is a specific program best for when you are doing maximum cardio/running. All of the programs people reference have you doing minimal cardio.
>>
>>36329839
Kek
>>
>>36329747

Explain to your CO you need to cut down on your aerobic activity to maximize your gains. He will understand.
>>
>>36329859
Just pick a program and go lift. The other activity is less than optimal, but it's not going to prevent progress by any stretch of the imagination until you're very good at both activities. Your body will adapt, just give it something to adapt to.
>>
>>36329858
SS?
>>
>>36329859
Minimizing cardio simply reduces calories burned, and allows for faster recovery between lifting.

But you are 19, so you will recover fast enough. All you need to do is compensate with more food. And don't try eating "clean". Fried chicken and cheeseburgers if you have to.
>>
>>36329877
The ever meme'd starting strength. Its s very low volume program. Go to the starting strength forums and look up a few programming threads.

Do th basic template, once you've added some weight to your bench and ohp, start to add chinups and dips. Get a respectable squat/deadlift/bench/ohp and move on to a more bodybuikding oriented program. 5/3/1 has endless templates.
>>
Try not being a pog
>>
>>36329747
>If I had time/ability
>We'll run anywhere from 3-6 miles, and do pushups situps
Keep telling yourself that skeletor. Eat more is the answer.
>Burning a lot of calories, eat more
>cant put on weight, eat more.
You arent even trying so you are never going to make it.
>>
>>36329786
>Don't use gear, you WILL get surprise piss-tested.
They dont test your hormones so if you are using they will never know unless they search your room and find vials or syringes.
>>
>>36329786
No they don't. You have literally no idea what you're talking about. Go away, civilian faggot.

OP you're burning calories at PT. I had the same issue when my unit actually PTd. You legit have to just eat more. Get as much food as you can from the mess hall/chow hall/whatever you soldiers call it, drink a few mass gainer shakes a day, and eat a few chicken breasts with rice off your own paycheck.

If you really put effort into gorging yourself and working out, you'll 100% get bigger. Add workout intensity, food, and sleep until it works for you.
>>
>>36330029
I'm an 11B. Sadly. If I was a pog, I wouldn't GAF
>>
Get a generic profile and spend PT hours at the gym. Eat more.
>>
>>36330169
>army

Youre a pog regardless

Hooah sarge
>>
>>36329747
should have joined the navy or chairforce
>>
File: 1456862658698.jpg (345 KB, 599x846) Image search: [Google]
1456862658698.jpg
345 KB, 599x846
>>36329747
do a total body routine 6 days a week :P if you have a problem gaining wheigt then your not working out enough to force your body to adapt to what you need it to adapt to, also buy a gaint bag of rice and a gallon of olive oil and when you done cooking your rice you mix in olive oil so can add massive amounts of calories and boost your test levels, that and you can add chub mackerel to the mix for protons since its like 1$ a can for 60grams of protein.

try 500mg of DHEA, 500mg of DIM and 5000IU of Vitman D before your workout and i assure you wont be needing gear, Remember if you not growing then your not working out hard enough or frequently enough for it to matter
>>
>>36329747
everyone gets ripped fat in the Army eventually because they get deployed and there is nothing to do on base but lift weights and eat.

Your problem is temporary.
>>
>>36329747
Eat a literal ton of food, count your calories and macros and follow a proper routine at the gym.
Most people on here recommend Starting Strength(SS) for a beginner routine but I would recommend Stronglifts 5x5 or Greyskull LP.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.