[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 325 lbs, I've tried dieting a few times, was d
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: bald.jpg (64 KB, 526x413) Image search: [Google]
bald.jpg
64 KB, 526x413
I'm 325 lbs, I've tried dieting a few times, was down to 225 at one point, but I gained it all back after meeting my eventual wife.

I really need to lose this shit, I can't live this life anymore. I've read the sticky several times, I understand macronutrients and calorie counting.

I have just a couple questions.

1) I can't afford a gym membership at this time, and half the gyms around here are really sketchy about their pricing plans (such as ONLY 10 BUCKS A MONTH but we have a 90 dollar yearly fee on your third month btw.) I haven't found cheap enough free weights in the area to turn my garage into a home gym.

Would it be worth doing the 100 Pushups, Squats, Crunches, whatever, until I can? Their shit is on this page http://hundredpushups.com/ I know it isn't SS, it isn't something on the sticky, but it's free and I could start doing it now. I just don't want to waste time if I won't get any real benefit out of it.

2) What about Minimally Viable Fitness/Nutrition? They give some nice routines as well as suggest counting macronutrients instead of just pure calories.

3) I just want to clarify that with a calorie deficit I cannot gain muscle, but I should still weight lift in order to burn more calories than cardio can. Is that right?
>>
Your questions dont matter you fat cunt, just eat less and healthier and lift
>>
>>36318569
lol
>>
just eat less doesn't even have to be healthy you don't even have to exercise I still have the occasional shit food but just cut the bags of chips, lollies, soda have a glass of soda instead of a bottle a bowl of chips instead of a bag I've been eating less and better for 2 months now I've gone from 96kg to 88kg and my diabetes has improved 1000000000 times.
>>
How do u gain back one hundred (100) pounds?
>>
>>36318549
eat less you dumb fat cunt
pick any cardio and stick with it, 1 hr a day. you don't have to be fast, finish the whole hour
>>
>>36318614
By eating and drinking a shit load over five years.

>>36318623
Oh hey insults, that adds to the conversation in literally no way, ya fuck.

You're telling me to do cardio. Everything I've read, including the sticky, says to go for weight lifting to burn calories. Why do you say cardio?
>>
Ideally you strength train while losing weight to not loose too much muscle while getting smaller, but its probably more important for people who are closer to their ideals.
If your primary concern at the moment is weight loss and not getting a shredded physique just eat less and do cardio - strength training does help you lose weight but for pure weight loss nothing beats cardio.
There are tons of ways to loose weight but they all rely on you getting fewer calories than you spend. I would count calories, at least in the beginning, the basic nutrient value of common food items can really surprise the uninitiated - especially overweight people.
For the best ratio of fat:muscle loss 500 kcal deficit is usually suggested, but you can worry about getting shredded later - for now just get to a healthy weight.
>>
>>36318549
Just do anaerobic cardio and eat less, until you can start lifting
https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-cardio-article-period
I recommend plyometrics or burpee type exercises, but sprinting works too.

You can also do babyweight lifts (in the 10-20 rep range) for cardio.

You can actually make gains (size and strength) on a deficit, if you are a fatfuck with no muscle (no matter how much muscle you think you have, if you don't lift, you have no muscle)

But don't worry too much about making gains, just worry about pushing the scale down for a good 12-18 months.

After that you can take a 2-3 week break to eat at maintenance and lift, to eliminate any thermogenic adaptation, then continue cutting.
>>
>>36318549
Paul??
>>
>>36318633
He is dumb.

Avoid aerobics at all cost.

Stick to anaerobic (high intensity. That intensity can come from speed/power or from weight/resistance)

Just don't injure your joints, your weakass stabilizer muscles are already under too much strain

Since you are fat as fuck, to start with most any activity you do with enough intensity can be anaerobic... But stick to shit that is closer to sprinting than jogging, intensity wise.

If you can do it for more than a minute straight, it probably isn't intense enough.
>>
Don't do endurance cardio. At your weight you're just going to get hurt and it's retarded anyway. A number of papers have shown that lifting and/or HIIT increase your basal metabolic rate much more than endurance cardio (10% vs 60% or so) and for much longer (a number of hours vs up to a couple of days).

But all that aside, losing weight is 95% diet (and can be 100% diet if you chose so).

You should just do a ketogenic diet. If you're too much of a poor fag to do keto, then you should eat whatever you'd like and without caloric restriction but follow this simple rule:

Every singlet thing you eat can only be composed of a singular ingredient.

It will make food boring and automatically eliminate all processed foods.
>>
>>36318643
Ignore this broscientist, op.

Strength training is crucial for body composition, way more so than cardio, plus the recovery from it burns more calories (so you burn calories at a faster rate while you sleep and shit.)

Read the article posted above
>>
>>36318643
Yeah from the BMR calculators I've used, I should be around 3500-4000 calories just to sustain, which is fucking ridiculous.

I'm going to shoot for 2500 a day, I feel like that's a very good amount of substance still, but that will give me a really good rate of weight loss. I'll worry about muscle when I hit like 240.

>>36318655
>>36318679
This is really good stuff. Thanks for explaining why I should look at cardio and how it will help compared to lifting.

Thanks guys. I'm going to start doing something, anything, right after my overnight shift ends in the morning. I'll look into plyometrics/burpees, see what I can adapt immediately.
>>
>>36318686
Tbhfam, IF helped me cure myself of obesity/fatfuckery more than le keytoe meme

But you could do both.

And as a real fatfuck, it is easy to lose weight... You can do stupid shit like 950kcal deficits and still feel satiated.

I didn't really struggle losing weight until I got down to 180lb or so (from 255) but IF and seltzer water and tons of salad Have made me immune to plateaus

Imo keto isn't terrifically useful, but no reason not to.

Replacing most carbs with veggies is a good rule of thumb for cutting regardless.
>>
>>36318702
Worry about muscle when you are under 200, and even then don't really worry about muscle until 12% bodyfat or so.

Start lifting asap, though
>>
>>36318702
>I'll look into plyometrics/burpees, see what I can adapt immediately.
Just remember if you are doing reps, like with burpees... You want to try to keep it under 15 reps
>>
>>36318696

Yeah, the guy that posted >>36318643 is literally retarded.

There's a good paper that's unfortunately not freely available online, but if you're at a uni you can look it up:

Martin J. Gibala, "High-intensity Interval Training: A Time-efficient Strategy for Health Promotion"

This article here summarizes it, however (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03459/High-Intensity-Interval-Training-A-Workout-in-4-Minutes.html):

"The next year, Dr. Gibala's group reported that HIIT worked better for fat-burning than did conventional aerobics. Participants in this study were divided into two teams. One did 20 weeks of conventional aerobics while the other did 15 weeks of HIIT. The first group burned 48 percent more calories per session than the HIIT group, but those in the HIIT group burned 900 percent more fat over the 15 weeks than the first group burned in 20 weeks."

Other people think you need cardio for health, but it turns out that's also pretty much wrong and the relationship between strength training and mortality is clear and inverse: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2453303/

People like >>36318643 are just stupid retard niggers that do zero research and spew the bullshit they learned on TV. These are the same people that think people are fat because they drink whole milk instead of skim and will tell you to stop eating olive oil and eat more bread to lose weight.

>>36318643 you're a stupid nigger.
>>
>>36318719

IF is also valid and for many people a part of keto.

Both diet regimes involve and huge upset to the eating habits of your regular land whale and in that sense are effective before you even consider the drastic biochemical changes that ketosis involves.

Keto is also useful in that the extremely high fat results in satiety and curbs hunger and desire.

A lot of people who plateau on keto will introduce IF as a way to break the plateau.

But ultimately, losing weight is about upsetting your eating habits to control your fatfuck mind.

I'd argue both methods are effective. Just as the only-eat-foods-with-1-ingredient method is effective.
>>
>>36318614
The same way you gained it in the first place.
>>
File: body weight training.jpg (922 KB, 1562x4158) Image search: [Google]
body weight training.jpg
922 KB, 1562x4158
>>36318549
Body weight exercise chart. Get some straps friend.
>>
>100 pushups, crunches etc. meme
Don't. Ignore that bullshit and find an actual bodyweight routine.

>how to lose weight
Do HIIT if you want, it's not strictly necessary though. For faster results, take some Dee En Pee OP. Just don't be a retard and overdose.
>>
>) I can't afford a gym membership at this time

Bullshit.
How much is a gym membership? 30 bucks? 50?
I guarantee that at 325 pounds, you eat WAY more than ~100 bucks worth of food per month. Eat half that, boom, suddenly you can afford any gym in your area.

Your post is a bunch of excuses disguised as questions.
Why would you need to pretend to strangers on the internet? You realize we don't know you or care, right? Are you so invested in fooling your own self that you'd make this post instead of actually putting in some effort?

It's a waste of time, but I'm gonna say it regardless:
Use the sticky to pick a routine and learn about counting calories, then apply that. That's literally all you need to do.

ps: I really don't think you're gonna make it.
>>
>>36319393
Of course I eat more than 100 dollars wroth of food a month. If I ate any less than that I wouldn't be able to survive, or healthily at the least.

I have a family, I can't cut my portions but I can't just cut food costs like that. Even if I did cut costs, those funds would go towards other bills.

>adults have expenses

Huh.

My post had no excuses. It had "I plan on doing this, but until I can, will this work as a substitute?" I get that you're trying some tough love type of macho bullshit, this board is flooded with it, but you're just coming off as fucking retarded as opposed to helpful.

My questions clearly indicated I understood the sticky and was looking to have meaningful dialog concerning it while on break at work. If you don't understand that people have to, you know, work at dedicated times instead of just dropping what they're doing and exercising... or that people like to have insight and understand into what they're doing and what the true value of it is, then again, you're literally fucking retarded and didn't need to post in the first place.

ps. you wasted your fucking time breh
>>
>>36319393
>>36319484

Fuck,I even explained why the cost of a gym is prohibitive and predatory, and that I can build a home gym in my garage when I can find good deals on equipment.

You can lift, but can you fucking read?

Do you know how close the nearest gym is? Time is money as well, why drive 25 minutes one way to my gym, then spend an hour working out, drive 25 minutes back, eating up two hours of at least three days a week for only three hours of actual effort and output? Gah, you're just fucking stupid.
>>
>>36319484
>>36319497
>Of course I eat more than 100 dollars wroth of food a month. If I ate any less than that I wouldn't be able to survive, or healthily at the least.
Yes, I set the bar incredibly low just to demonstrate how easy it is.

>I have a family, I can't cut my portions but I can't just cut food costs like that.
Is everyone in your family 325lbs? No? Good, try eating as much as one of them.

>Even if I did cut costs, those funds would go towards other bills.
Ah, so I suppose since you won't, we can expect your house to get seized by the bank or something? Oh well, at least you'll lose weight more easily on the rations at the homeless shelter. Rooting for you. Either that or more excuses.

>adults have expenses
No shit. Adults also have income. Actual adults also have budgeting skills.

Can't be arsed with the rest of your posts since it's mostly just rationalizing for yourself and you know it. Then some more excuses. Good luck never making it.
>>
>>36318963

I second this
>>
>>36319484
>>36319497

I, too, enjoy making angry verbal assaults against people who call out my bullshit.

1) You don't need a home gym. Buy some buckets, fill them with water. 1 litre of water (~1/4th of a US gallon) = 1 kg = 2.24 pounds. Lift those. Curl two buckets individually or fill one and pick it up and set it down. Go out and find a heavy log. Lift that. It's not about the equipment, it's about making your body move things that gravity really doesn't want it to.

At 325 lbs, you don't need a guide. You need to move more and eat less. If you find a guide that you like, do that. If you don't like it? Find another one. Or just go for a walk.

Fifthedly, you can gain muscle on a caloric deficit. Find a dietary plan that includes some fiber, some carbs and a pile of protein. Start with chicken. Your body will supply the fat. Drink lots of water.

Losing weight is 95% diet (exaggeration). At your size, I'd recommend to diet hard and exercise light.

Okay, let's dissect the thread now.

>>36318702

Your "BMR calculator" is wrong. A 6'5", 325 pound, 25-30 year-old male only needs ~2500 for maintenance. If you're shorter, it's less. Younger, it's more; but not enough to make up over a thousand calories of energy.

>>36318633

You can't come to /fit/, a board on 4chan and get anally asperger'd when someone calls you a name. You're fat. You're here, presumably, because you don't want to be anymore. Grow some spine.

Anon is suggesting cardio because it literally doesn't matter what you do right now. Fitness guides are seldom written for people with body fat over 30%. The answer isn't "run in circles" or "lift heavy things". It's "do both".

>>36318764

>Fit people are less likely to die than less fit people

Truly ground breaking study.

>>36318963

This. You don't need weights, or even buckets when you can just lift yourself.
>>
>>36319638

Lastly,

>>36319484
>>36319497

These two posts are what convinced me to reply, so congratulations.

>Of course I eat more than 100 dollars wroth of food a month. If I ate any less than that I wouldn't be able to survive, or healthily at the least.

You can. Right now, you do not need to worry about your caloric intake. You've spent years building reserves that your body can use. What you need to concern yourself with are your other macronutrients. Depending on your local markets, $100 a month buys a lot of chicken and bread. Get a bottle of multivitamins and fiber supplement. It'll piss off your doctor, but it's doable.

I'm not recommending doing that. I'm just showing how it could be done. In a perfect world, you could balance your diet, cut out 500-800 calories a day and lose weight without any significant life impact; but if you could do that, I imagine you wouldn't be here.

>I have a family, I can't cut my portions but I can't just cut food costs like that. Even if I did cut costs, those funds would go towards other bills.

So cut them and pay other bills. Make an extra mortgage payment a year, or pay off your car. Stop swallowing money.

>...but you're just coming off as fucking retarded as opposed to helpful.

Welcome to 4chan. We're not Reddit. Nobody's going to hold your hand through this and tell you that you did a good job just for trying.

Unless you actually try, and then you'll find /fit/ to be quite a different board; but coming here and explaining why you -can't- exercise isn't going to earn you any points. You asked, people replied. Will those exercises work? Yes. You're 325 pounds. Any exercise will work.

>wordswordswordswords

Nobody's going to hand feed you information, either. You have to read it for yourself. We can't tell you how it will work for you, or how it can fit in to your apparently super busy life schedule. Read some stuff here, go read some stuff on bodybuilding, read some more stuff on other websites.
>>
>>36319709

Thirdly,

>>36319497
>Gah, you're just fucking stupid.

Anon isn't the person walking around with an entire extra other person stuffed in the folds of his skin. You have no right to attack anyone here because someone hurt your feelings.

>>36319560
>Can't be arsed with the rest of your posts since it's mostly just rationalizing for yourself and you know it.

Anon's right, but I had to type up a bunch of paragraphs because you having the audacity to attack someone who's offering you advice really irked me.

That's all.
>>
>>36319732
>Audacity to attack someone

No faggot, I didn't attack anyone. I retaliated. You too can fuck off. No one's gonna hold my hand, so you should be able to deal with this shit too.
>>
>>36319754
Stay fat and stupid and angry and pathetic.
Go fuck yourself.
You got fat by being a lazy piece of shit who makes excuses instead of doing things. That's not going to change no matter what advice you're given here. You're going to stay fat as long as you're lazy and useless, so probably forever. Have fun with that you pathetic adipose pussy.
>>
>>36319754

Anon didn't say anything to attack you. He pointed out that you're disguising your excuses for not working out and then explained how to accomplish the goals you set forth in the OP regardless.

If you're this upset that someone doesn't believe your story on the internet that you're willing to resort to playground name calling, I really don't think you're gonna make it, either. Have fun being fat.
>>
>>36318686
Anon is spot on. I am 6'5" and was 350 lbs. I followed the Dave Palumbo ketogenic diet. I did walking as an addition to diet. It is a good read and starting point. I specifically did the diet for the 200 lb man. There is wiggle room so don't be afraid to try it. Cheers and if you want it badly enough you will do it.
>>
>>36318549
You're a stupid fat shit with a shitty attitude that weighs over 300 fucking lbs. Just go away and be hideous until you die early from a heart attack. It'll anyways be another excuse for you.
>>
r-ryan?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.