[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food Prep Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
I'm struggling to Keep on top of my food prep.

i cook chicken in the morning before i go to work which takes time so i usually just take canned tuna instead.

and Rice, i have a problem wasting alot of rice because i cook a batch and eat it cold but its getting boring.

has anyone had problems re-heating rice? i know you shouldn't but i wouldn't waste as much over the weak.

Fruit and vedge is simple so no problems there.

can you guys give me some tips on how to keep on top of it without wasting anything or show me how you prep for the week to give me a idea?

thanks in advance
>>
>>36306993
i cook about 30 meals for me and my girlfriend on sunday. you can reheat rice. i also add sweet potatos. we have salad monday the rest keeps in the fridge. chicken,rice,vegies,beef,
>>
>>36306993
bump
>>
>>36306993
There's a load of people who will probably post in this thread about evidence suggesting rice has bacteria in it that can survive reheating (That's very poor paraphrasing but that's the general idea iirc) but I've been reheating rice and eating it for a long time and I haven't managed to shit myself to death yet.
>>
>>36307039
the only thing i've read is just reheat to boiling in a microwave which is no problem. ill be trying it today so ill see how i go
>>
Cook meals at night. Cook several at a time and freeze the surplus. The day before the meal is needed take it out and let it defrost in the fridge (NOT just left out) when you take it to work it may be slightly frozen still but this is fine. If the meal has rice in it add a small bit of water before microwaving and always microwave covered so it doesn't dry out. Make sure its hot all through and then eat. There's nothing wrong with re-heating rice so long as its heated well. The issue is there are microbes in the core of the grain that are insulated against the heat, through cooking kills them.
>>
>>36306993
Why wouldn't you reheat rice? I've been doing it for 25 years and have never heard this meme before. Is it like activating almonds or some dumb shit?
>>
>>36306993
Here's what I do, OP:

>do the following every 4 days
>cook rice+veggies+etc in large pan
>put into large container in fridge
>this is lunch for next 4 days
>Don't worry about reheating the rice, it's fine

>while cooking that
>bake additional veggies in oven
>store in fridge for 4 days
>this becomes dinner

I also bake, boil, or steam fish to have for dinner for next 4 days at this time. All together it takes about 2.5 hours from start to done washing dishes. You get better at doing it quick.

For protein:
>every few weeks buy several pounds of chicken breast and thighs
>cut into small pieces - small as you please
>boil in large pot
>portion out into ziploc bags and freeze
>this goes with veggie/rice mix

Cooking the chicken takes about 3 hours depending on how much I get. Typically 3-4 pounds. I only do it on the weekend. I used to bake and pan fry the chicken but that takes longer than boiling.
>>
>>36307067
In total, I spend 2-2.5 hours every 4 days cooking food. But that number is getting closer to <2 hours now. Every few weekends I spend an additional 2-3 hours cooking chicken. The result isn't exactly time saved, but since I don't have to cook 3 out of 4 days, I get to spend most of the week doing something else.
>>
>>36307067
we go to the butchers every 3 weeks and spend £100+ on meat. mostly Ground mince and Chicken breast

im not a huge vedge eater to be honest which is becoming a problem.
>>
>>36307099
>buy ready cooked chicken?
>have a female for the washing up

profit
>>
>>36307067
>boil in large pot

boiled chicken? eeeewwww.
>>
>>36307138
makes u feel fuller because it takes you 20 minutes to chew every bite
>>
>>36307138
>>36307150
It's fine actually. If you are having trouble chewing it, you've just cooked it too long. You need to cut it into smaller pieces like I said. this will reduce the time it takes for the entire piece to get cooked and not result in the out portions getting overdone. Plus, the mix of breast+thigh creates a fatty water, which, if you mix with the chicken properly after removing the water will keep your chicken from drying out or having as much issue with freezer burn.

I left that out because it was unnecessary detail and figured OP would already know it.
>>
>>36307067
good info I just wouldn't boil it. I'd rather fry it or bake it desu
>>
>>36307059
honestly. if someone gets sick from reheating rice, theyre a bitch
>>
File: Danger_Zone_Update_Standtime.jpg (97 KB, 350x541) Image search: [Google]
Danger_Zone_Update_Standtime.jpg
97 KB, 350x541
>>36307039
any credible sources? Preferably ones that end in .gov or .edu? I've gotten a food handler's license in a few different states (I move a lot) and as long as it's not with in the danger zone for more than 4 hours (pic related) it'll be fine. As long as you don't keep it for weeks or something. Oh yea, this adds up. Say you cook it, and now it's been sitting out a while. Now the temp is below 140F. This is now in the danger zone. Let's say you toss it in the fridge as soon as it hits 140F and it takes 1 hour to chill below 40F. This is now 1 hour total time in the danger zone. You reheat it, say in the microwave; while reheating, it'll eventually exceed 40F until it reaches 140F. Let's say this takes 5 minutes. This is now 1 hour and 5 minutes total time in the danger zone. Considering this, as long as you're not a tard and reheat the whole bowl of rice, and then re-refrigerate the rest, it'll be fine.
>>
>>36310205
>I've gotten a food handler's license in a few different states
I was going to say that I don't recall any of them saying not to reheat rice.
>>
File: 20160307_210632.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160307_210632.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I'm boring and fix the same thing every week... each container is .5lb boiled chicken, 1c black beans, a slice of pepper jack, and a couple tsp hot sauce... heat at work and slice an avocado into it.

a co-worker today told me about fitmencook.com will check it out later
>>
>>36306993
>Canned Tuna

Don't know how big you are bro but if you're concerned about methylmercury getting into your system you might want to look at this chart:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp

Of course you probs weigh more than 150lbs, so being the fag I turned it into a math equation with definitive results on waiting times before you should eat a second can of tuna:

y= -2.375e-5X3 + .007451X2 - .79454X + 32.976

(Data does not apply for Pregnant Women or consumption of Albacore)

160lbs: twelve hours
170: twelve hours
180:Six hours
190:2.5 hours
200:1.5 hours
210: 1 hour
220:40 minutes
230:30 minutes
240:30 minutes
250+:20 minutes

If you're eating albacore stop eating it so much, that and bigeye tuna are the worst for mercury.

If you can handle a little extra shit carbs in your diet with rice, cook it in a pack of ramen noodles and season the shit out of it with Mrs. Dash if flavor is an issue.

What seasonings do you use anon? I keep my meat for example in a marinade and cook individual pieces as needed, and rice? Just microwave it with a cup of water adjacent to help steam it.
>>
>>36310882
I hope you get some more variety in your dinner, anon.
>>
>>36310966
Uhm sorry but that's not how it works ... nice formula tho but really it doesn't work like that. The body has a maximum amount of clearance at one point. Just getting more heavy doesn't somehow make your body more efficient, getting older however (improved kidney/liver function of 18+yo of 160lbs compared to a 2 yr old kid of 20 lbs) that's what this table is based on its just really unclear...
>>
Cooking every day is your problem.

Sunday:
>all the chicken breast you can fit in a crockpot. Leave on low for 10 hours
>bunch of pasta/rice/complex carb of choice
>lentils

Then the rest of the week you do the quick stuff like eggs and veggies. Do all the time intensive shit on a designated day.
>>
>>36311449
>Do all the time intensive shit on a designated day
I invested in a vacuum packaging product. It claims it saves money but I just see it happening. the bags are expensive. On the other hand, I cook a shit load of stuff when I have time (ie day off), vacuum pack it, date and label, toss in freezer. bam months of food.
>>
>>36306993
op here. only just got in from work. just reading all of this now.

good advice overall i'll look into all suggestions
>>
>>36311558
>estrogen detected lol
>>
Anyone else here roast chickpeas? It's way cheaper than buying the flavored bags at the store.

The last time I tried they were soggy though, I don't think I dried the garbanzos enough
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.