[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 5x5 basically just CNS training? Or can aesthetics be achieved?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: CNS.jpg (46 KB, 645x750) Image search: [Google]
CNS.jpg
46 KB, 645x750
Is 5x5 basically just CNS training? Or can aesthetics be achieved? Do you use both low and high rep in your training?
>>
Impatient bump
>>
>>36298901
5x5 is bodybuilding. Reg Park promoted it back in the 40s and 50. It's known for putting tons of size on people. 3x3 and 3x5 are more strength and power associated training parameters.
>>
>>36299085
This. Its the perfect middle ground for strength and size.

Just think about it, the 3x8 rep scheme that is so often recommended for hypertrophy adds up to 24 total reps, and 5x5 is of course 25 with a higher weight. You will definitely build muscle on a 5x5
>>
>>36298901

everything is CNS training you fucking idiot.

What matters is how fast you can get your CNS to achieve a contraction.

Faster the contraction=the stronger the contraction=the stronger you will be.

This is why when it comes to power, lifting super heavy weight "slower" is actually detremental to developing an explosive neurological pathway.
>>
>>36300727
>>36298901

Here is Michael Yessis, one of the best biomechanists and strength coaches to ever live explaining why its important to lift explosively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlj29GnDwlY

As long as your diet is good and you don't eat like a fat fuck, Strength training will always give you aesthetics. However if you are only lifting for aesthetics, you are a faggot cuck.
>>
>>36299085
What kind of a fat faggot that doesnt watch his diet wants to put on less mass?
>>
>>36300788
>>36300727
>>36298948
>>36298901

fuck wrong video.

Here is the correct video of Yessis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la1TliIOEu0
>>
>>36300788
>>36300788
>steriods make you worse at sports
And I'm suppose to believe anything else that comes out of this guys mouth?
>>
>>36300835

>not understanding how steroids work, the post
>>
>>36300807

>What kind of a fat faggot that doesnt watch his diet wants to put on less mass?

I don't know, the kind that might want to maintain their bodyweight while increasing their strength? Perhaps to stay a certain weight for a sport?
>>
Last month here I've been doing a 5x5 style workout. Usually 1-2 days of the week I might add some extra volume... I think that helps. 5 reps for most working sets and for volume usually do 10 reps.

As for CNS, sorry but I haven't read too much about it online. I just try really hard to listen to my body because it's something my father always told me to do. I will usually come back from the gym and review the workout in my head and try to think of ideas how I can get better, faster, stronger...

As for aesthetics? I don't know.. I think I look good. The strength is nice to have regardless.
>>
>>36300870
stop defending your gay crush and realized how stupid you sound. There's a reason medals are revoked when someone tests positive for a banned substance. It's because they fucking work.
>>
>>36300835
I dunno, steroids make you stronger and recover faster but ever since being on them my cardio has gone to shit.
>>
>>36300884
Also, I think when it comes to isolation exercises like bicep curls, tricep extensions, cables, machines, etc... I do sets up to 8-10 reps because anything less than that feels like I'm maybe lifting too heavy or not trying
>>
5x5 does hypertrophy, it's just not maximized hypertrophy. You won't just get stronger, also bigger. Just maybe not as quick
>>
>>36300818
is there any evidence of this that isn't hopelessly outdated?
>>
File: 1452359603179.png (67 KB, 616x596) Image search: [Google]
1452359603179.png
67 KB, 616x596
>>36300936

>still not understanding how steroids work

He not saying they don't improve performance.

In fact they do, in a very short career perhaps.

If you've read the russian studies, the US studies, or even Yessis' opinions on the matter in his books you'd realize that muscle growth develops much faster than tendon and ligament growth, which eventually leads to catastrophic and career ending injuries.

>muscles are the only thing that matters in training or competing

>muscles don't attach to bones

>bones don't attach to bones

looks like you need to take a anatomy class you fucking idiot, if you can't put two and two together it would make sense why you are on /fit/ shitposting right now.
>>
The key is volume. It doesn't matter what you're training for. Volume is all that matters. if you're going to max 5x5 you will gain both strength and aesthetics. The difference really is all in which muscles you choose to workout.

I lift 3 times a week, full body, heavy... and I guarantee I look and lift better than 99% of /fit/. It's really not as complicated as a lot of fitness gurus would like you to think.
Lift heavy and get fucking exhausted. Wake up and do it again. If you need a rest day it will because you fucking know that you need it. Otherwise you're underworking.

I learned everything trying to get my ohp up. The trick was do it everyday, heavy as possible, as many sets as possible. Just fucking blast that shit, eat a lot and sleep well. You're guaranteed to start seeing results.

If you're lifting 3x5 three times a week and never really pushing it you simply won't grow. It's all about adaptation to stress. The harder you go, the harder you rest, the more you grow in strength and size to deal with the stimulus.

Basically everything works if you get in enough volume. A strength athlete training for pure numbers will look very good with the right diet. Isolations are for dudes who already have a great deal of mass just looking to put one muscle over another for the sake of balance.

You will look fucking beastly doing nothing but compounds with the highest level of intensity and volume that you can without burning out. Look at any athlete... It's always the same. They train day in and day out because the body adapts to stress. Fucking stress your body and it will grow.
>>
>>36300818

Supertraining by Yuri Verkoshansky explains this quite well.

Looking at any Sprinter or Olympic lifter that was worth a shit will also prove this.

here is a good example. France's best sprinter, Jimmy Vicaut, doing explosive quarter squats. Now the french are still pussies, they aren't the best at strength training but hes doing something right considering hes run a 9.86.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnw_CoM-2zs

Heres linford christie doing jumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q33pqu-zRas

and as far as Shock method plyometrics go, Supertraining describes it best considering Yuri Verkoshansky developed it.

http://www.verkhoshansky.com/Portals/0/Presentations/Shock%20Method%20Plyometrics.pdf
>>
>>36301083
this is for you

>>36300987
>>
>>36301027
> I guarantee I look and lift better than 99% of /fit/.
post your physique in a well lit room and give us your stats so that way we know you're not some DYEL socko bullshitting about what works or not
>>
>>36301102

I honestly would but I'm like 7 pints deep right now and playing with the cats so maybe next time.
>>
>>36301027

Well... you boast about the same as 99% of /fit/, so you've got that going for you.
>>
File: 148-4.png (68 KB, 220x200) Image search: [Google]
148-4.png
68 KB, 220x200
>>36301122
>I was lying the whole time and actually look/lift like shit and you've outed me and this was the best lie I could make up
>>
File: 1454301481133.jpg (9 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
1454301481133.jpg
9 KB, 310x310
>>36301122
>>
>>36299085
>5x5 is bodybuilding. Reg Park

Reg Park's is pretty much 3x5 since the first two are warming up sets.
>>
>>36301152

"cats" was the giveaway
>>
>>36301175
7 pints deep was the giveaway
I would but was the giveaway
>>
>>36300818
wow. That one soviet was leaping like gazelle on the side to side over the desk. Its kinda hard to get a scale by looking at that but it seems impressive.
>>
>>36301131
I bet he looks 99% better than me. AND I'm not mad. Sounds wise. don't care... his post hit me pretty deep and I bet me and him both look better than you. ANYways I'm only 5 pints deep and have no cats to play with
>>
OK, so I do ICF (yeah, yeah, I know you guys hate on Blaha, but the routine is good) - heavy 5x5 with a bit of accessory work.

I'm of the understanding that working full body five times a week is massive over-kill, as you're never giving your muscles time to recover and won't grow as a result.

Is that right, or is >>36301027 right?
>>
>>36298901
>Is 5x5 basically just CNS training?
5x5 was bodybuilding 40 years ago.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>36301228

thats nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGz3Li2cv4

the soviets actually did altittude drops from 6ft, 9ft, 12ft and 15ft.

you will find next to nothing on altitude drops as they weren't translated from russian to english.

essentially, its a depth jump without the rebound, but done at higher heights and the landing is "stuck" like a gymnast would only into a quarter squat position.

landings were stuck at 6ft and 9ft, and the 12ft and 15ft the athletes would actually hit a soft pad and roll out of it.

the 12ft and 15ft jumps were said to have tremendous qualities to athletic performance, but became very psychologically taxing on the athletes so was eventually replaced with more 6ft and 9ft jumps.

this is pretty much hacking your nervous system into using its involuntary strength. It is the most rapid form of strength development and it makes you stupid strong.
>>
>>36301131
>>36301152

No look seriously I look fucking great but I'm a manlet so it's not even hard to put on mass.

My irrefutable point is that whatever you do, do it hard, regularly and eat well and sleep well. 5x5 3x12 it doesn't fucking matter. You're really training the same response in your musculature in the end.
The human body adapts to stress, period. So it's really all about what muscle groups you choose to hit in what proportion. If you fatigue your muscles and use linear progression you will get bigger and stronger, it doesn't fucking matter about reps and sets. If I'm doing 5 sets of 6 reps and someone is going heavier on 3 sets of 5 reps we're both going to get the same results because our total net output is more or less the same.

Basically don't obsess about perfect rep ranges... Just fucking lift hard.

>>36301241

dude I fucking used to hate cats (big dog man) but after living with two from kittens for the past year I fucking love the little shits. They're disgusting animals and they fucking shed hair on everything but they're actually kind of loyal and really good comfy fun. Total chick pet (they're my female landlords animals) but you really do warm up to the funny little fuckers after a while.

But seriously as far as manlets go I'm absolutely burly goal mode. I'm like a buffer danzig with sexy nips and a broader upper body...
>>
>>36298901
5x5 (sets across, not ramping) isn't that heavy. Usually about 75% of your 1rm. It's really just hypertrophy work.
>>
>>36301328
>i look amazing and you should listen to me
>no wait i was just kidding im actually a manlet and you should b urself :)

fuck off already
>>
>>36298901
5 reps is not low reps
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.