[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last Strongman thread RIP? Strongman Thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Since the last Strongman thread is DEAD, lets start this one off the coolest Strongman most here are not familiar with.

Marshall White, 6’3” 320 pounds

He also competes as an Olympic Style weightlifter and Powerlifter.

Has a DL with straps over 900, and regularly logs over 400.

One of the best strength coaches around as well.

Marshall is the UNDERTAKER in strength. Quite literally, outside of strength athletics, he is actually a Mortician by trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuJNnf7mF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqdfHTnEfXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAj8y-KIcis
>>
Never heard of him.

Never seen him in any competition or seen his name mentioned anywhere ever.
>>
>>36294298
>>36294352
never heard of him either. kind of overwhelming to think there is so much hard working talent in the world right now that you can't even notice 95% of them.
>>
Can strongman stuff fit into, or even replace some of the regular gym stuff when it gets boring?

Like could I get a log bar and use it to replace standard bar OHP work, and still keep all my shoulder strength?

Could I cut down on total squat work or even eliminate them if 2 or 3x a week I pull my pick back and forth across a parking lot for a half hour?

Again, this isn't for a competitive athlete or a strongman who actually competes, but just a regular trains for cosmetics+health+strength kinda guy?
>>
File: 20160304_101641.jpg (138 KB, 387x639) Image search: [Google]
20160304_101641.jpg
138 KB, 387x639
>>36294382

The guy has made top 5 at Americas Strongest man 6x, his highest there was 3rd, and competed at Worlds once.
The reality is Strongman is a sport that doesn't come with much fame unless you are a regular top 3 at WSM guy.

If you aren't one of those guys you would NEED to be VERY active on social media to have ANY kind of notoriety.

There are a lot of 6-3 320 guys who DL 850+ and OHP 400+ who nobody has heard of. Almost the whole 30 who go to WSM can do that these days, and highly competitive countries like the USA with a very DEEP field of incredibly strong men... hardly any are famous.
>>
>>36294352

He was in a Heat at WSM once. He did good, completed all his events, and it was a Heat with fairly close times.The problem was his Heat included BOTH Brian Shaw and Zydrunas Savickas. Talk about a fucking stacked Heat, kind of an "F*ck you" to all the other guys in the Heat, who in any other Heat might have made it to the finals. Just sort of one of the things that sucks about the sport.
>>
>>36295492

I don't think "almost" all the 30 WSM competitors can DL 850+ or OHP 400+ these days.

Hell back in 2000 a 400 pound log would have been a World Record.

Today maybe 15 of the WSM guys can do 850+ DL and 400 logs.

The issue for guys like Marshall White is that at the Americas it is ULTRA competitive for Worlds slots. You could take an 8th place guy and put him in another country and he could easily get a spot at Worlds.

Also, it is correct that if a guy is not a regular top 3 guy he would need to be doing a lot of social media stuff and have an active YT presence or nobody would have ever heard of him.
>>
>>36295687
>Today maybe 15 of the WSM guys can do 850+ DL and 400 logs.
I'd say it's more than that to be honest. More could probably log 400 than dl 850, I mean I know a lad who log presses 170kg and is nowhere near worlds
>>
Can a 5'8 1/2" make it as a strongman? :(
>>
>>36295388
Pressing shit overhead will keep your shoulders strong. Doesn't matter the implement. Although different implements have learning curves and difficulties.

I personally think sled pushing/pulling/sprints will keep/make your legs strong.
>>
>>36295853
I've seen a 5'5 ish dude in a few comps. He does well enough.
>>
>>36295877

Thanks dude, I'm gonna give this a try. I might keep some light weight, deep + front squats in, to help keep mobility up, plus stretching, but heavy squats are killing my hips.
>>
>>36295853

In places like the USA and Canada they have weight classes at the national level, the under 235 guys, 235-265 classes have plenty of short guys.

Most heavyweight/open dudes are over 6ft. Handfull of 5'10" guys are in the open, but they are rare exceptions. If they are in the open I can tell you that they rely on static strength and their static numbers have to be off the charts to stay competitive.
>>
>>36295877

This. Log or swiss bar is even better for shoulder health
>>
File: 1457127705228.jpg (1 MB, 2464x1632) Image search: [Google]
1457127705228.jpg
1 MB, 2464x1632
>>36295853
Vytautas Lalas is 5'9". Don't lose hope about your height.
>>
File: 1440965286536.jpg (12 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1440965286536.jpg
12 KB, 250x247
>>36298927
>5'9
>>
>>36298947
Really, after all these years the manlet gag still cracks me up.
>>
Anybody read Brian Shaw's book? I was interested in his nutrition and training regimen. I saw on instagram that he eats anywhere between 6000 and 10,0000 a day.
>>
>>36299014
I wanted to get it but haven't gotten around it for no reason really

I heard he eats 6x a day, with shakes and shit, like a pound of beef plus pasta or whatever every meal.
>>
>>36299014

I didn't read his book, but I think that diet would need to be seriously down scaled for a natural guy and who also isn't almost 7ft tall
>>
>>36299046
totally. Just curious to see what he says in there. What do strong man run as far as gear? I'm really new to paying attention to strong man coming from powerlifting in general.
>>
>>36299101
>What do strong man run as far as gear?
mostly large amounts of test and GH
deca and halo are pretty common too
>>
>>36299101
>>36300117

Yep, and the halo is generally a "boost" taken for several weeks leading up to a big contest.

They generally stick to generous doses of stuff that is safer to take year round, meaning stuff like c-17 Orals and Tren are not used year round.

Tren can be particularly bad for the strongman, even though it gives great boosts in static strength - Tren can also reduce your endurance and general work capacity - gassing you out in a sport where training and events require HUGE work capacity and muscular endurance.

This is also why in general the leaner strongmen still don't ussually have the definition levels of bodybuilders.

Pure powerlifters don't worry as much about endurance as strongmen. So some powerlifters can get away with Tren in ways strongmen can't.

So strongman = GH for tendon & bone strength + plenty of Test, Deca, EQ, with shorter durations of stuff like D-bol & Halo before big contests.
>>
>>36298927

Thought he was 5'10"

You know, because that 1 inch is a big deal on fit
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.