[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I got a membership to my local universities fitness center,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Swimming.jpg (1 MB, 4096x2743) Image search: [Google]
Swimming.jpg
1 MB, 4096x2743
So I got a membership to my local universities fitness center, they have almost everything including pool. I'd like to do a mix of weight lifting and swimming (for my cardio) but I'm not that good of a swimmer, any suggestion on how to achieve good form? What lifts will help with swimming?
>>
Biggest noob mistake is, when doing freestyle, turning your head 180 degrees to breath and looking at the ceiling. Only turn head about 50-60 degrees to breath and always look at the bottom of the pool
>>
>>36275038
Stop spreading lies
You should turn your head 360 degrees and breathe while doing it
>>
>>36273036

kickboard, fins, paddles

youtube videos on how to use these things
>>
Learn how to do a turn correctly
Make sure youre arm form is right or you're just wasting energy
Hands closed
Control your kicking range by using your whole lower body
If you're bodies angling down when you swim it's because youre kicking is too weak
Breathe every third stroke so you're changing sides and get equal gains
Some of this might seem really obvious but since it's a uni pool I'm assuming you're a dumbass Asian that can't actually swim
>>
Swimming/lifting master race coming through.

I started swimming around 1.5 years ago, starting from scratch basically. As it turns out swimming is a fun and useful cardio tool in your disposal.

I highly suggest getting fins for starters. They help you out with keeping "balance" in the water, propel you more (going fast makes it more enjoyable) and force you to work out harder.

If you want to sprout wings i suggest getting hand paddles and isolating your hand strokes. First time i used those i couldn't swim for 4 days straight afterwards.
>>
>>36273036
I used to be a state-level swimmer. Got stress fractures in my back from overtraining othewise would have gone to the Olympic trails. Here are some sets you can work towards:

40x100s butterfly 90%of Max Effort on 1.50

30x200's freestyle 85%max on 3.00

5x1500freestyle, 30second rest between each

20x25m sprint max effort, alternating freestyle and any other stroke. Get out of the water after each 25, do 20 push ups, and walk down the other end, repeat.

All of these are the sort of sets swimmers with great bodies do 6days a week.

Get used to the black line.
>>
>>36273036
I go to the pool to relax after lifting and to piss in it

it's kinda funny when you see swimfags gargle your piss while they're doing their thing
>>
>>36277564
>Hands closed
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
Sound like a decent uni i would bet that they have a class or a club for swimming join that, if not just type freestyle swimming in google and youtube. Goggles are a must the rest is optional for strength do pullups and planks and get flexible with your feet.
>>
Swim coach/10 year swimmer right here.

By far the most important thing to fix first is your body position (the way your body sits when you swim), it will almost certainly be bad. Basically, your goal is to sit 'on top' of the water and keep your body in line. Tips for good body position:

-Almost everyone tends to bend their knees too much when they kick, which completely fucks you up (mostly making your hips drop). You want your kick to come from your hips, not your knees. This is 100% the first thing you should make sure is correct. Fins tend to help with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ipwMgVXYU

-Almost as important as the kick is learning proper body rotation when you pull. As you pull, you need to make sure your body is rotating back and forth from your shoulders to your hips (at the SAME TIME, not one by one).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X39OMt5wu0

After that, you can fix some finer points, like breathing properly (the anon who said not to lift your head way the fuck up is correct, it should be a part of your body rotation).
>>
>>36278962

Still me, after this, I'd look at your pull. Make sure you're extending your arms properly and bending at the hands and elbows to initiate 'the catch' (do not swim with straight arms underwater, this will fuck up your rotators long-term in most cases)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuDNk-vlQkI (I would encourage high-elbow swimming for every new swimmer)

With all this stuff, you'll have a nice, solid base. Focus on these fundamentals first, for fuck's sake. Don't rush in doing sprints and look like a retard. Sites like goswim, mastersswim, and theraceclub will all have nice drills you can try out that emphasize technique.

For the record, once you get freestyle down, I'd recommend learning other strokes, particularly breaststroke and butterfly, they're god tier.

As for what other anons said:
>>36277564
Worry about turns if you want but doing an 'open turn' and pushing off the wall is completely fine and a non-issue if you aren't competing. Also fuck keeping your hands closed, don't focus on that. Keep your fingers loose and relaxed (not wide open, but a little open is okay.) Other stuff is fine
>>36278846
Good shit
>>36278871
This person is either a troll or a retard, don't do any of this stuff unless you would like to injure yourself, especially at your level

Good luck anon. I believe in you
>>
>>36278918
A lot of people, even some who have been swimming for years, swim with open hands. It's waste of energy.
>>
>>36279053
'Open' is only bad if you're spreading your fingers all the way out. Most olympic swimmers have relaxed, loose hands with fingers slightly apart. Physically, there's a kind of web affect with the manner in which water flows that actually causes you to move more water this way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2168305/The-secret-swimming-faster-Spread-fingers--forked-hands-speed-water-far-quicker.html

inb4 >dailymail
you can find tons of similar articles. completely closing your hands is old school, like telling people to do an S shaped pull in freestyle
>>
>>36278871
>40x100s
>30x200's
>5x1500

Unreasonable.
>>
I'm looking to buy a new pair of goggles, wich one should i get?
>>
>>36278871
Yea man 40 100s fly as if this guy can successfully get his arms out of the water on jjust a 25 fly.
You don't know what youre talking about, and you're clearly nowhere near your supposed skill level. Gotta love /fit/
>>
Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the suggestions.

This question is a little less /fit/ and a bit more /fa/ but since I'll be in a chlorinated pool most of the time, what can I do to prevent any damage to my skin and hair? Also what's the best way to prevent water from getting into my ear? Ear plugs?

Thanks as always!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.