[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 26 too late to start doing a martial art/fight discipline?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
Is 26 too late to start doing a martial art/fight discipline?

I keep in good shape, body fat is good, I still have a comfortably above average level of cardio so I don't get gassed easily, but I'm clumsy as fuck and I'm really stiff. I need to do all sorts of stretches or I fuck up my lower back.

I have never done a combat sport, but when I was 17-18 I had a 6 wins, 0 losses from fighting with chavs during a turbulent time in my life, if that helps. :D I'm just joking here, I know I'd get rattled by some guy who has been dedicating himself to it since he was 15 or so.

Any late starters here?
>>
Its never too late to try to learn a skill.
>>
>>36268898
It's never too late, unless your joints are fuct
>>
>>36268898 (OP)

Fuckin' go for it senpai, I'm about to turn 28 and I'm planning on joining my local mma gym once I get off this last chunk of weight.
>>
You shouldn't compare yourself to others in the first place, only compare yourself to previous versions of yourself.
>>
>>36268898
Pick Muay Thai op it's a good one to start with and you WILL learn gnostic truths that will make you Able to fight 5 chavs at the same time
>>
>>36268898
well if you wanna be champ/pro it is but if you wanna just for hobbie is ok ! Id sugest Bjj as a strating point because is easier on the body (no punches to the face , no heavy throws that would put your physical strain on your body). Also if you have any gracie academy there id sugest to pay a visit these guys have a diferent more hobiiest /self defence aproach than the competive bjj dojos :)
>>
>>36268916

My joints aren't fucked, but my flexibility needs a lot of work...
I've been working on loosening up my pelvis and hamstrings and I see improvement,
but I worry about my lower back, I had bad posture issues in the past and it seems to catch up with me...

>>36268967
What weight are you wanting to work around, man?
I'm 185cm, 95kg and feel too chunky for that, I'd rather lose weight to 85kg or something.

>>36268969
;-; thanks senpai

>>36269000
>>36269092
So Muay Thai or BJJ? I'm kind leaning to Muay Thai because I like the power of stuff I've seen, though I'd probably be on the receiving end haha
>>
>>36269148
If you want flexibility then maybe do some yoga.
I think every human being should do some form of yoga in the first place
>>
>>36269148
>>36269148
well muay thai is also good but you should befriend the idea of having bruised face broken nose etc. either of them is good , in the end go to a muay thai and a bjj dojo check how they train and pick for yourself likin somethin is definatly a factor !
>>
>>36269289
How does the conditioning differ between the two? Since I'd be in it from a hobbiest perspective, this would be something I would want to push myself in, or are they relatively the same in this respect? Cheers btw
>>
>>36269148

>>36268967 here, I'm 5'11, 215 lbs (180 cm, 97.5kg). I'm planning on cutting down to 160 lbs (72.6 kg) and then bulk up a bit from there. The progress has actually been really good so far considering I weighed around 270 (122 kg) in September.
>>
>>36269347
Is 72.6kg not quite underweight? What is your bodyfat percentage? Since I am similar height I would be quite set to go at 85kg, if I went lower than 80kg I'd be a skelington.
>>
>>36269403

Presently I'm not sure what my bf% is. 180cm and 72.6 kg it's supposed to be a bmi of about 22.4 smack dab in the middle of the "normal" range (18-25). I think it might be a bit on the hungry skeleton side but I'll just have to wait and see when I get a little closer to that weight. If it seems like it'll be too much I'll probably stop cutting.
>>
>>36268898
It's never too late, sir. I highly recommend practicing kyokushin. Be careful of what dojo though, lots of phonies in every respective martial art. Practicing the kata will greatly improve your mobility.
Also, make stretching a habit. You need to stretch until you sweat. Possibly look into Tai Chi to further enhance flexibility. Tai Chi is seriously slept on.
>>
>>36269148
Don't do bjj as a beginner, you get hurt easier and you'll be discouraged. Try out may Thai first, unless you join a shit gym you're not gonna get ko'd for just joining
>>
Krav Maga - started at age 34 a few months ago and I love it. I doubt I'll ever be in a fight or need to use it, but just knowing it makes me much more confident. Plus, it's super fun
>>
>>36268898
JUST
DO
IT
i'm 25 and had the same thoughts before joining a mma gym, now i'm 3 months in and i love it
>>
>>36268967
Join the gym and lose the last bit of fat in no time, lost 7kg in 3 months and even made some gainz
JUST
DO
IT
>>
OP you're going to be 30 anyway. You might as well be 30 and with 2 years of martial art experience
>>
>>36268898
boxing
>>
>>36270397
unless its military krav maga, its fucking pointless past P2. I'm telling you now as somebody who wasted so much of their life getting G1. Go take boxing and you'll immediately see that krav maga cannot adequately prepare you unless your opponent is a paralyzed.
>>
I started when last year at 24 and ive got my first amateur fight this august.
>>
>>36270860
>unless your opponent is a paralyzed.
>not picking fights with children and the disabled
How else am I gonna have fun on the weekend?
>>
I also am 26 and I use glasses. Third world country so contacts or sport glasses are fucking expensive, not an option. Somewhere I read judo was the best ma I could take because it's mostly grappling and close range fights so I don't have much disadvantage without glasses . Is this true?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.