[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who fell for the minimalism meme? >pic related arrived yesterday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: Barefoot-Ted-June-2013-400-400.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Barefoot-Ted-June-2013-400-400.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
who fell for the minimalism meme?

>pic related arrived yesterday
>ran in them for 45 min today
>currently have 5 blisters

anyone have good experiences with running in sandals or other minimalist shoes? are they a scam?
>>
lol Jesus ran in sandals before those things were even manufactured
Learn2sandal like the Roman Christians
>>
>>36268019
Do you have Starrets "ready to run"? You need to read that before you start running in minimalist shoes, there is more to it than just putting them on and cranking out a 10K. You have to ease into minimalist running slowly, the muscles in your feet have atrophied due to modern shoe design.
>>
>>36268019
you should have ran less you tard, gradually building up.
>>
>>36268047
>a fictional Jew
>implying he ran in sandals

People don't often ask your opinion on important matters, do they?
>>
My track coach got Vibrams one year
He was a goddamn distance running machine but he had to start with distances of 2 miles or less while he adjusted
You're an idiot for going 45 minutes on day 1
>>
>>36268053
Doesn't starret say that flip flop are the devil
>>
>>36268053
>Starrett

What a fuckin joke. The guy has a Ph.D. in Broscience and has never in his life coached a competitive athlete.

Kill yourself.
>>
I fell for the minimalist meme.

I hated running before because my feet always got cramps. Then I got some minimalist shoes and it was fucking great, I loved it.

Thanks, minimalist meme.

You're an idiot for getting flip flops to run in though though lmao
>>
>>36268394
Starrett says all types of shit that makes sense to soccer moms, crossshitters, and retards on /fit/.

He can teach you how to stretch, but everything else he teaches is horse shit

>squat with your toes pointed straight ahead cause it gives you more "torque"

Ok, fucking retard, then why dont lifters in powerlifting or olympic weightlifting squat that way? Why doesnt fucking ANYONE squat that way?

You also can't find a video of him squatting 3 plates anywhere online, and you sure as fuck cant find a video with him squatting over 2 plates with his toes pointed straight forward. The guys a bigger con man than Trump.
>>
>>36268019

Sandals are the Fedora of the foot world
>>
>>36268417

Running flip flops sound crazy. I always have to hold onto them with my toes.

I fell for the 5-finger shoes because I was a heel-striker and was told they'd fix it. Kinda did, but I ended up going to a physical therapist.
>>
>>36268019
I don't know jack shit about running, but I know not to do it in sandals.

So I guess I know more about running than you!

>running in sandals

Read it again and tell me it doesn't sound like retarded bait from /b/. No wait, let me find the image that explains how to grow crystals with ammonia and bleach lol.
>>
>>36268133
>Unnecessarily mean
>>
>>36268442
The therapist because of the shoes, or because of your heel striking?
>>
>>36268019
I just use Nike Frees. Used 5 pairs of 3.0s, finally trying out 5.0s. They are a nice middle ground between fruity minimalist and regular shoes.
>>
>>36268417
This.
Merrell trailgloves all the way.
Comfy as fuck and walking around feels nimble and tactile. I only wear sneakers at university because I'm pretty much average height if everyone else is wearing enormous clunkers. (6'1")
>it's funny, I wore my trail gloves for ages, and then when I got a pair of sneakers for a present, people all thought I had a growth spurt.
>>
>>36268432
Don't forget his whole "keep your feet out wider than your knees" idea. Tried it once and my knee hurt for a week.
>>
>>36268019

Run barefoot for a little while to develop callouses. I haven't gotten a blister ever since I started jogging barefoot on concrete. Also make sure you are running on your tip toes and keep your steps short and light.

I play basketball in Tevas now and haven't gotten a blister in years, despite getting them all the time when I wore shoes and socks.
>>
>>36268432
>Why doesnt fucking ANYONE squat that way?
please refrain from using shit tier arguments
>>
File: 1294473_001_main[1].jpg (505 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1294473_001_main[1].jpg
505 KB, 1200x1200
>>36268508

That being said, I wear Teva Terra Fi Lite sandals which have rubber soles and strap on with velcro, not that flimsy shit in the OP. I bought a similar pair of sandals from Walmart once and they broke within a day of basketball, so the Tevas are super durable.
>>
File: vibram fivefingers.jpg (38 KB, 600x442) Image search: [Google]
vibram fivefingers.jpg
38 KB, 600x442
I'm on my second pair of these. Got my first pair back in 2011, and I wore the sole out about 3 years later.

I still like them, but I don't think I'll get another pair just because of the expense and they are terrible for running outside unless you're on ideal grassy or rubber track areas (I got tendinitis for awhile).

Pros
>allowed me to deadlift barefooted without getting shit from gym staff (one of the reasons I picked up a pair in the first place)
>comfy af after adjustment period
>easier to clean and air out than most other shoes

Cons
>price
>you'll look like a faggot
>no heel for squatting
>only good for specific running surfaces
>shit gets caught in the toes when hiking
>>
>>36268019

you have to build up to it dummy.

your feet are a wreck from walking in shoes your whole life, re-shaping them is a 5-year project.
>>
>>36268019

minimalism isn't a meme. all the shit that companies sell people in the name of it is, though. if you want to do it but don't want to get memed buy an old used tire and some cord and look up on youtube about how to make huaraches. or just go barefoot.

i was a heel striker for nearly ten years, then got on my toes even in just regular shoes. became a much better runner. BUT...after a year i realized how much it had weakened my hamstrings. nowhere in the praises of minimalism was any warning of this, but looking back it might have been common sense. started deadlifting and squatting and got my hamgains back in just a couple months.
>>
File: 1442522848943.jpg (29 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1442522848943.jpg
29 KB, 499x499
>>36268619
>heel for squatting
lel
>>
>>36268019
You have blisters because you have bitch feet.
>>
>>36268619
I run in these and they are comfy AF. All my gym bros have had sore feet except me. Totally recommend, looks horrible though
>>
>>36268019
Why not just run barefoot?
>>
If you were going to run "minimalistic" in anything other than barefoot, why wouldn't it be something like moccasins?

OP pic is obviously retarded. Tiny straps mean all of the force is going through a tiny surface area. Of course you'll get blisters.
>>
>>36268019
people that can do that have thick calluses on their feet. You gotta start young and build it up or suffer
>>
>>36268495
I'm still lol
>>
minimalist shoes are a fraud.

inb4 muh born to run

Your kness will hate you

inb4 "yeah right heel striker"

>century of shoe R & D
>Wait a second barefoot is better! yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

NO

Get a good pair of Brooks or Sauconys and save the five fingers for the overweight soccer moms and skelly hipster techno liberals cucks from Seattle who go "trail run" with their bros while their wife is hanging out with Tyrone.
>>
>>36268019
Barefoot is free, dummy. As minimalist as it gets
>>
>>36269014
> Squating with knees
>>
M8, get some Nike Free 4.0s. I own a pair, it's like wearing boots of lightness. They weigh next to nothing, fit perfectly, and are shaped to help you move forward. I know I sound like a shill but they really are amazing.
>>
>>36268471
Dude, aren't 5.0 less minimalist than 3.0? I use 7.0 and pretty happy, no complaints but I started very slowly.
>>
>>36268019

Why the fuck would anyone buy into this minimalist crap?

I'm from the third world. We ran around barefoot and in sandals because we couldn't afford shoes.

I swear, everyday I see white people being sold some exotic shit that literally all the poor people in the world have to deal with out of necessity.
>>
>>36270294
if you live in america, almost all sidewalk has glass and nails and other random shit people throw out of their car, or decide they dont want in their pockets while doing whatever.
if you meant why not barefoot it i the gym, well most gyms have rules against that for both sanitary and safety reasons.
>>
>>36268019
I just make my gf piggy back me everywhere.

Bitch has the best quads
>>
>>36268019
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZOBDYS/ref=twister_B00KZO4JUI
I used to run in regular trainers and my fucking knees and achilles tendons would had a savage beating.
A review said that this shoe was a good transition into minimalist running shoes, and I think they're right. I'm running with less pain than I used to and my gait is alot better.
>>
>>36268531
Not him but seriously, Are olympic coaches just plain wrong?
>>
File: devru_pepe.png (482 KB, 735x864) Image search: [Google]
devru_pepe.png
482 KB, 735x864
>>36272018
>mfw I carry tactical pocket nails and tactical pocket glass wherever I go just to shit on hipster minimalist runners
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.