[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly are the health consequences of a high-sodium diet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: too_much_salt_360.jpg (172 KB, 360x265) Image search: [Google]
too_much_salt_360.jpg
172 KB, 360x265
What exactly are the health consequences of a high-sodium diet?

Currently cutting, and I'm eating a lot of stewing beef because it's both lean and cheap. Thing is it tastes like garbage, so I usually just salt the shit out of it until palatable. What, besides water retention, will come of this?
>>
>>36253859
Bumping for interest
>>
>>36253883
Second bump.

Also OP, stewing beef can taste good without tons of salt. You need to learn how to cook friend.
>>
>>36253859

High blood pressure is POSSIBLE if you or your family is prone to it.

I eat a ton of salt myself and my blood pressure is under 120 always. Not worried about my salt intake.

People will say blah blah stress of kidney etc. but that's probably not applicable to the amount you're consuming even if it's a lot.
>>
>>36253859
imo don't worry about the salt you add to foods, worry about not eating processed shit high in sodium. You have to salt your food if you want it to taste of anything (not all food, obviously).
>>
>>36253914
100% true, my cooking skills are pleb-tier. I usually just fry it desu because I am living in student corridors and only have a stovetop to work with.
>>
How can you get stew to taste bad? You just put water and meat in a pot or something? Follow a fucking recipe instead of fucking up the easiest way to make delicious meat. Try a boeuf bourguignon.
>>
>>36253922
diet is almost exclusively sweet potatoes, various raw veggies, and meat (chicken or beef) for meals, cottage cheese / quark for snacks so I'm not too concerned with processed shit.

>>36253918
would drinking more water counter any potential kidney problems?
>>
>>36253966

I really wouldn't worry about it, but yes that would help a little bit. I do happen to drink a lot with 1-2 gallons of water a day but not because of my salt intake but more for hydration and health overall.

Put your finished steak on a food scale and see how much salt you put on it. Remember that 1g of salt is not equal to 1g of sodium which is the nutrient we're looking at. 1g of salt has like 680mg of sodium.

USA, Canada, NZ, and Austrailian all recommend an upper limit of 5700mg which I doubt you're hitting or even coming close to. I eat basically no processed food and average 3-5g but do a ton of cardio too.

Remember that sodium is an ESSENTIAL nutrient so don't be scared of it.
>>
Drink more water if you're going to have more salt. Same with if you're going to drink more water. It's mainly a balance between water and salt. As long as you're really well hydrated you're good to go anon!
>>
If you eat a lot of potassium and drink a lot of water you're fine
That's what I've been telling myself
>>
>>36254496
this. take potassium tablets if you need to.
>>
>>36253859
Med studnt: Stomach caner, high blood (even if no one in your family has is)pressure, are the ones with a high odds ratio, next in the list, bladder cancer, kidney faliure, brain oedema if you are a dumbass that is taking over 20 grams a day.

I recomend: buy a shit load of oregano or garlic pouder-
>>
Elevated blood pressure, strain on the kidneys, stomach cancer, and damage to the arteries (even without high blood pressure)
>>
>>36254034

>Remember that sodium is an ESSENTIAL nutrient so don't be scared of it.

Stupidest thing I've read yet today.
>>
>>36253859
Well some of the info people are providing here is somewhat correct but at the same time doesn't really apply to your specific body. Check your blood pressure so you know your shit's not climbing too fast for a whatever-age you are. As for high sodium diet, the main risks are high blood pressure which results in increased risk of heart attack and stroke which are no bueno, especially if you're not keeping up with cardio on the regular. The daily limit the Dietary Guideline Advisory Committee suggests is 2300mg of sodium in a day which most Americans easily surpass, especially with our current trend of going out to eat almost every day.
>>
>red meat AND salt

rip OP
>>
File: no_thank_you.jpg (60 KB, 654x711) Image search: [Google]
no_thank_you.jpg
60 KB, 654x711
>>36256357
>Stomach cancer, HBP, bladder cancer, kidney failure, brain oedema.

I always assumed my salt intake was fine. I think I'm going to start measuring and I will probably have to reduce because I like salty food.
>>
>>36253859
If you're pan-frying the meat, then adding minced garlic and dried red pepper flakes to the fat in the pan and cooking for a couple minutes on low heat will significantly enhance the flavor without the need for so much salt. If you don't have a lot of fat left over when cooking, adding olive oil to the pan and cooking the garlic and red pepper flakes in that on low heat works just as well.
>>
>>36253859

you will hold water like a motherfucker. try cooking with chilis so your taste buds won't notice a lack of salt. not fucking hot sauce and shit, that has a ton of salt already in it.
>>
>>36256374

What's so stupid about it? It's true.
>>
If you eat no processed shit you will most likely get quite low sodium through the day. Even if you sprinkle it on steak.
>>
>>36256374
I know people that died from sodium deficiency
>>
>>36257505
*knew
>>
>>36253859
Hypertension, which kills 10%. Big deal.
>>
>>36256374

The term "salary" is derived from the Latin word for salt. In the olden days, salt was so valuable that you could actually be paid in salt.
>>
File: screenshot.png (451 KB, 2550x2160) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
451 KB, 2550x2160
>>36259838
lol
>>
As long as you're under 2300mg of sodium per day you're fine right?
>>
>consequences of a low-sodium diet
We'll your nervous system won't work, for starters
>>
>>36260488
>>36259838
>>36253859

Salt is unrelated to high blood pressure. Research pretty much is a wash on it at this point.

Did you know the body self-regulates sodium levels by removing excess amounts through urination!? Gasp.
>>
>>36253859
"Too much sact!"
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.