[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are standing desks really worth it? or is it more hype than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49 KB, 737x719) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49 KB, 737x719
are standing desks really worth it?

or is it more hype than anything else, which will subside after society's health craze fad?
>>
No. No they are not.

Any extra calories you burn from standing up all day could be burnt in a far more pleasant, more beneficial and massively less time consuming way. Or just not consumed in the first place.
>>
Only for the posture fixes. Sit upright and you'll be fine
>>
yes they are
>>
>>36230466
Sitting is the new smoking of this century.
>>
>>36230629
quite a statement
>>
>>36230566
>>36230597
2 against

>>36230629
>>36230612
2 for

seems like a divided topic
>>
I realize it's from the huffington post but:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/standing-desk-sitting-danger-study_us_561e87aee4b050c6c4a3bb7f
>>
>>36230466
They both are and aren't, if you work in short bursts of writing like I do they're a good idea and my bad back got a heap better since buying one.
>>
>>36230466
the body is made to stand or squat. sitting is degenerate.

this goes for toilets.. get a Japanese style hole in the floor.
>>
>>36230877
>sitting is degenerate

Jesus christ guys
>>
>>36230629
this so much, people nowadays
>have a desk job for 8 hours
>go home and sit on the couch in a shitty position
>repeat
>hurrdurr physio why does my back hurt massage me please
>>
>>36230897
well prolonged sitting causes your lumbar discs to degenerate at a faster pace so he's pretty much right
>>
File: 11822_1000x1000.jpg (70 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
11822_1000x1000.jpg
70 KB, 1000x1000
>>36230947
what if you use one of these?
>>
File: backpa2[1].jpg (23 KB, 555x500) Image search: [Google]
backpa2[1].jpg
23 KB, 555x500
>>36230958
if you have a desk job I'd suggest getting up and stretch a bit every 30 mins. also do some extension exercises/general mobiltity for shoulder girdle at home. What's that thing supposed to do?
>>
>>36230566
That's assuming you're using a standing desk to burn extra calories. I've never ever even heard that as a pro to using a standing desk.

Anyway, I use a standing desk 50% of the time and it helps to keep me focused. I usually get tired when I sit for long periods.
>>
>>36230773
>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/standing-desk-sitting-danger-study_us_561e87aee4b050c6c4a3bb7f
>The researchers concluded that sitting itself won't kill you. Rather, a sedentary lifestyle in general may be what's harmful to your health.
>>
>>36231015
decompress your spine

http://www.livestrong.com/article/116107-inversion-table-benefits/
>>
>>36231049
this. even our god rippetoe agrees with this

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/62105-sitting-effects-performance.html
>>
File: bekant2.jpg~original.jpg (291 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
bekant2.jpg~original.jpg
291 KB, 1200x800
cop or not this desk familia?

>it's $660
>>
>>36230466

I have one and like it because it forces me to improve my posture. You need to have the floor mat though or it stresses the knees.
>>
>>36230466
I would probably get sick of standing after 10 minutes and move my laptop over to my bed. If you are doing stuff like writing or whatever on your desk and not for long periods of time then I guess it might be a good thing to have.
>>
>>36231081
i made my desk out of a pair of adjustable sawhorses, 1x4s and plate of glass. I painted the sawhorses and 1x4s black so it would be all classy like.

Was significantly less than 600.
>>
Seems uncomfy as fuck. Who the hell wants to stand for 8-9 hours straight?
Get one that you can adjust. We have them in the office, you just press a button and they go up so you can stand at them. It's pretty good to stand now and then for half an hour.

Also: isn't it bad for you to stand all the time anyways?
Older lady I know worked as florist i.e. standing all day long and she fucked her joints this way and could not work anymore when she was 45. Iirc that is quite common in that job.
>>
>>36230877
>sitting is degenerate
let me guess. You have a hitler photo and a fedora in your home and your curtain is confederate flag
>>
>>36231206
this is /fit/ not /carpentry/
>>
might consider it if I had a life outside my room
>>
>>36231206

Hate to break it to you anon, but that's not classy. Manly and cool, but not classy.
>>
>>36230566
It's not about calories retard.
>>
>>36231242
Yeah I feel like they're best to use only periodically to break up long days of sitting.

All the retail/customer service jobs I worked in the past really fucked up my posture and feet and back because I would be standing in one place for hours.

Those kind of desks your office has sound expensive though.
>>
>>36231081
hell yeah breh i wish i had a desk like that desu.
>>
>>36230466
>standing desk

you think youre better than me, dont you?
>>
quality>quantity

I'm not a delusional hamplanet that is trying to convince myself that I'm living a healthy life by standing in front of a desk for a few hours.

Get comfortable and pound out your work. Get a good workout in on your own time.
>>
>>36230466
they're cool if you can eventually sit, it prevents you from feeling tired and keeps the blood flowing.You won't really burn any extra calories but it will prevent other health problems
>>
>>36230566
It's about hip/spine health. Nothing to do with calories.
>>
>>36231888
Are you trying to imply that a standing is supposed to be a workout??
>>
File: battlestation.jpg (377 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
battlestation.jpg
377 KB, 1824x1368
Been repping this setup since ~2011/2012.

The only thing I have to say about it is that every setup I've ever seen -- including mine in this pic -- still promotes head-forward posture by putting your screen well below eye level and making you hunch over your work station, which is the biggest problem with prolonged desk dickery anyway.

If you actually want to feel better about your time spent at your desk, your priority should be elevating your screen to your eye level or above so you aren't ratcheting your fucking neck out in front of your body.

That aside, you can get a brand new treadmill/stationary bike/eucalyptical for significantly less than $660. Might as well save yourself the money and delegate your sitting desk to strictly hard-copy work and tinkering that requires that big of a workspace -- we both know your main problem is the amount of time you spend shitting around on the internet anyway.
>>
>>36231997

I'm implying that I get way more work done in a 8 hour day sitting than people who stand. And yes, anybody that's worked in a typical office environment with these people know that many equate it to working exercise.
>>
File: 716.jpg (60 KB, 364x486) Image search: [Google]
716.jpg
60 KB, 364x486
>>36232054
To add, this is my current setup.

Projector hooked up to a desktop that is controllable by my laptop via MouseWithoutBorders (or Synergy+ if you're linux/mac).

Still not quite as high as I'd like because there's a light fixture in the way, but better than looking down at your hands.

You could also just get a wireless keyboard + mouse and accomplish the same thing.

It's all the same shit. Point is, you're all dumb troglodytes and should be doing what I'm doing and you're welcome.
>>
>>36230466
imo it just makes you move more which is good, but standing stationary for a long time isn't better than sitting stationary
>>
>>36230466
>using laptop without external monitor

looking down for a long period of time isn't good for your posture
>>
>>36231081
damn i want one of these but can't justify the price

most of them are $1000+
>>
Sitting burns more calories than standing.
I honestly don't understand how the fitness board doesn't know this.

When you stand you are letting the ground thrust you upwards. It burns 0 calories. When you sit you are resisting the grounds attempts to push you upwards while at the same time shuffling and getting a workout in your thighs.

DON'T stand when you don't need to.
>>
>>36232336
Squatting is the best though. We need squatting desks.
>>
>>36230958
Or if you aren't a puss you can just hang from a bar for a minute or two...
>>
>>36234301
what if i don't have a gym membership
>>
My co-workers get the adjustable ones. I would probably end up sitting for the majority of the time so I don't do it.

Luckily I work with cool people, I have my foam roller in the office and we all take breaks to do squat and joke around together every hour or so. If I've really been grinding out work for a few hours I take the elevator to the bottom floor and walk back up 12 flights of stairs

A walking desk though, I wouldn't say no to that. I have an aversion to just standing though, I worked enough retail to never want to stand still again
>>
>>36232054
Im gonna hide in your house and live there. its comfy as fuck dude.
>>
>>36236028
That one's my grandparents'. They are multimillionaires. It is indeed comfy as fuck.

Somewhere there's pictures from the time I went full 1980s comedy and threw a massive party in their house while they were on vacation. A DJ came and played at the kitchen table and some of us went skinny dipping in the lap pool.

My life is wonderful and I'm sorry.
>>
File: Ape-Jaaz.jpg (1 MB, 2968x1856) Image search: [Google]
Ape-Jaaz.jpg
1 MB, 2968x1856
>>36230466
>>36230629
>>36230737
>>36230877
>>36231015
>>36231081
>>36231206
>>36231313
>>36231445
>>36232054
>>36232232
>>36235800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL8LUB1KFuU&feature=youtu.be

Behold my glorious standing desk.
Complete with functioning drawers, and a thick mat to stand on.
I am coming up on a year of strictly standing, and I can tell you it's a superior choice over sitting.

But the first week was intense. My legs were shaking, I was sweating, and my soles/ lower legs were itchy. It was just the process of adaptation. Hit me up if you have questions.
>>
>>36236391
How does a tiny innocent child grow up to be such a massive faggot?
>>
>>36236417
Stay mad.
>>
>>36230466
If you sit a lot then yes it's worth it. Sitting down all day long is terrible for your health. Especially veins. But you are not mean't to stand all day. You should take turns sitting and standing. That's why a motored table is the way to go.
>>
>>36230466

I was working a job where i was standing/working 11hrs a day, 6 days a wk unloading meat trucks and cutting meat and lost 60lbs in 2mos. But i was also unloading tens of thousands of lbs every week. Considerably more during holidays. One year i unloaded ~500 60lb, and a couple hundred 30lb cases of chitterlings by hand in a few hrs, and that was just one truck for the day, for winter holidays. We couldnt a fit pallet jack thru the doors, let alone a lift. I'm by no means fit or jacked, 6'1" and went from 310 to 260 fully clothed at the time, but nothing beat that shitty fuckin job when it came.to gains. I actually worked with an old body builder from the 70s, he was cool af and fuckin huge BITD. Now hes a really bad diabetic and needs dialysis a few times a wk. I regret now never working out with him, i could tell he wanted to train me and thought i had potential, but me being a fat piece of shit i thought the job was enough exercise.

Fast forward 4yrs, at a new job, a desk job. when I first started i was able to do what i had to do standing, and i felt good and my core/back got stronger, but weight loss was minimal. Im losing more now just cutting and exercising 20 or 30 mins a day and double stepping stairs and parking in the back of the lot at work, than I was just standing and working and being a fat piece of shit. So moral of the story, standing is better than sitting, but not anywhere near actually being active. Been hovering between 280 and 300 ever since the meat cutter gig. Im just now, like more than 5yrs later, starting to get back down below 280 and get my back strong again.

All i know for sure is being sedentary isnt going to do anything at all for you. Its only taken me 30 years to figure that out. We fatties are fucking dumb.
>>
File: cage_laugh2.gif (2 MB, 300x162) Image search: [Google]
cage_laugh2.gif
2 MB, 300x162
>>36231364
>>36231974
Just fucking lmao at gymcels. LITERALLY standing up ALL DAY because you think it's good for you

Yeah, i'm sure you'll be able to get a girlfriend once you tell her about your "standing desk". Fucking LMAO! Pathetic, pathetic gymcel. If only you retards would realise it's GENETICS that matter rather than standing up all day.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.