[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is starting strength a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: hue.jpg (19 KB, 295x276) Image search: [Google]
hue.jpg
19 KB, 295x276
Is starting strength a meme?
>>
>>36202307
No, but there are better programs for beginners.
>>
>>36202369
such as
>>
>>36202399
Candito's Linear Program
>>
1 month in, drinking lots of milk even though I'm already 193lbs at 6ft. Already started off chunky so don't really care. Should I keep drinking milk though? I only drink about 2l a day, feel amazing because I find it helps so much with recovery but a little annoying because I fart so much
>>
>>36202307
Not exactly but with as much as it is unnecessarily pushed it might as well be.
>>
>>36202440
Ehhhhh. Not necessary, considering you're still chunky. But you're gonna want a calorie surplus, and milk is a good way to get there. It's easier to drink calories than to eat them
>>
>>36202405
Can I find everything about this programm on Internet or will I need to buy an overpriced book or something like that?
I'm just a tiny skelly trying to get big.
>>
>>36202523
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Candito%27s+Linear+Program&l=1
>>
>>36202510
Is resting 2 days by week (Sunday and Saturday) enough? I alternate between biceps, shoulder, chest and then triceps, back and legs. Is that good? Thank you.
>>
>>36202405
Seems like a lot of unnecessary technical shit when all it really comes down to is lifting heavy shit a certain number of times with good form.

Do want less size and more strength? 5-6 reps, 3-5sets.
Do you want an emphasis on size with less focus on strength? 8-12 reps over 3-4 sets.

You will get stronger both ways. One will make you progress in weight faster. One will get you swoller faster. All exercises will be roughly the same NP matter what program you do. You will be doing the big 4. Squat, diddy, bench, ohp. Extras will be either pullups and dips or some sort of variation with similar activation. These are literally all you need to get big.

The biggest thing to stress is to fucking EAT if you're trying to increase muscle mass. Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle? Yes. But if you're a skinnyfat dyel or relatively average person you'll get impatient with the results you accrue with eating moderately while trying to increase strength. If you're already a fat fuck, you have enough energy stored to lose weight while getting muscle.

In other words, STICKY
>>
>>36202585
Thanks buddy.
>>
What about greyskull?
>>
>>36202307
Was this an obvious troll thread that turned serious?
>>
No, but start accessories by week 4 (flies, curls) and do pull ups every session.

After 10-12weeks change to 3x8 for a good start on your aesthetics.

After 5-6x months you gonna start looking great, which will inspire you to keep going with a programme tailored to your self using the knowledge you have gained over the last half year.
>>
>>36202603
Should I eat normal when I am lifting if I am a fat fuck?
>>
>>36202399
Strong Lifts
>>
>>36202650
You should be eating lightly less than you normally would. Because your normal is to be a fat fuck, your normal is already more than you want.
>>
>>36202640
Something like this is great for a beginner to the gym but already has some sort of muscle
>>
>>36202399
Greyskull LP
>>
>>36202720
Even when i am lifting? Am I still going to lose weight and gain muscular mass?
>>
>>36202591
...that's not Starting Strength
>>
>>36202603
>You will get stronger both ways. One will make you progress in weight faster. One will get you swoller faster.

This is definitely true, though it should be stated that the differences in strength/size aren't nearly as great as /fit/ or the average broscientist make them out to be
>>
>>36202743
m8, your "normal" eating is probably way over what an actual normal human is eating. That's why you're a fat cunt.

If you're eating less than what you perceive is normal, you're gonna hit close to your normal maintenance.
>>
>>36202743
If you are eating less than you are now even by a slight margin, you will lose weight combined with the exercise you're doing because you are already burning more energy than you were previously.

Fat is energy. If you have an excess, you have energy to spare. You will be able to use that energy to build muscle sufficiently up tona certain point. You'll know when that point is because you will be too weak to lift more weight. When this happens, you'll have a fork in the road. You choose either to compromise gaining strength for focusing more on losing fat, or increasing the amount that you eat at that point to continue gaining strength, which won't equate to fat gain so much as muscle mass being developed.
>>
>>36202876
You have to take into account that most people here with any real gains to show are impatient roiders. Not dissing roids but it's a skewed perspective.
>>
>>36202879
If he is maintaining weight eating his version of "normal" without lifting, he'd lose weight lifting and maintaining that diet. Lose weight slower than if he drops some calories, but he'd have better strength progression

I'd say, if you're not getting fatter eating the way you normally do without lifting, I'd keep eating the same number of calories (maybe increase protein intake, depending on how much you consume normally) and just add lifting
>>
File: 1456770290266s.jpg (20 KB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1456770290266s.jpg
20 KB, 250x233
>>36202307
no
>>
>>36202908
Truth. Always remember:

>Big
>Lean
>Natty

Pick two. Personally, I'd like to hop on a low dosage of test. But then, I've been lifting for like 4 years, sometimes inconsistently and often with a sloppy diet. And I don't trust myself to not fuck it up; I'd probably do something stupid and kill myself
>>
>>36202917
The amount of calories you actually burn through strength training is not that much. Hell lose at most a few pounds until he starts lifting big weights over 2.5pl8. Its not reliable to say you'll still lose weight because you're strength training because if you're starting, theres barely anything happening.
>>
>>36202743
Focus on losing fat and use lifting to start mastering technique and preserving muscle mass, you will make muscular gains but in a slower rate due being in deficit (implying you have calculated your TDEE).

Remember: losing fat, maintaining muscle and mastering technique.
>>
>>36202956
I've heard it both ways on here: that lifting burns a ton of calories or that it hardly burns any. Still haven't found a definitive answer either way
>>
>>36203018
Again. Those saying that are on the juice. In that case it's true. As a natty lifter? It takes forever to get to a point of significant calories burned. Think about when you were starting out and whether or not your heart felt like it was pumping really fast to get that lift up. Pretty much everything under 2pl8 barely does anything to get your heart rate up to a consistent level. And most of the reason cardio is memed here as a terrible thing to do is because it's way fucking harder than actually lifting weights.
>>
>>36203050
True. I always looked and felt leaner when I was doing cardio

But I fucking hate it so much. It's boring and the discomfort gets stretched out for so long
>>
>>36203068
That's why you incorporate it into a hobby. Swimming, even leisurely gets your heart rate up more consistently than strength training. Get a bike, bike everywhere, to and from work. As gay as it sounds, Rollerblade for them calf gains. Run wherever you're going instead of walking or taking the train.

I have a friend who's jacked, and the only cardio he ever got was traveling about 6 miles to and from work on either his bime or roller blades. Dude was and is lean all the time.
>>
>>36203122
I use a bike to get around, but rarely for more than 15-20 minutes at a time

Been meaning to start swimming again. Or at least going for long walks in the morning, if only to clear my head a little bit. I know Jim Wendler is a big fan of walking
>>
>>36202307
Everything is a meme here.
>>
>>36202399
Although I'm not part of the "SS is a meme" brigade, I do think SL is better for beginners, as the Power Clean is a far more technical lift compared to the rest.

Not saying you can't fuck up a beginner who squats or OHPs incorrectly, but its a lot harder to learn the Power Clean from youtube videos.
>>
>>36203152
15-20 minutes is fine. Just make it a hard 20 minutes. Your legs will allow for a natural cadence that will dress you least, knock the gear up one to make it a bit more difficult. Earn some leg gains cycling and in the gym.

If it's 20 minutes there, and 20 minutes back, that's a solid cardio session broken into two blocks. Do that like 4 times a week and that's more than 90% of people on this board does.
>>
>>36202523

books aren't overpriced if you buy them on kindle. i got ss for less than $8 when it would have cost $30 for a paper copy. i prefer books on my phone anyway...
>>
>>36202307
Is it suitable for someone who already looks as a t-rex, aesthethics-wise?
My legs look massive as fuck in comparison to my upper body, but I'm weak as shit. And no, I'm not a fatty.
>>
>>36203235
Literally just take squats out, or do them once a week instead of 3 times.
>>
>>36203194
I agree with this. Power cleans are some tricky shit. I watched youtube videos over and over and I still don't know if I'm doing it right.
>>
>>36203726
read the book
>>
>>36203726
You need to go lower. Work ankle mobility.

Also if you don't put a full body clip then its not possible to evaluate your full technique.
>>
>>36203726
THANK YOU SKELETON
>>
>>36203750
Hold on I'll try posting full body , webms are tricky.
>>36203751
I'm overweight
>>
>>36203750
oh btw what do you mean by full body
>>
>>36203839
Showing your full body.
>>
File: justlabeefit.jpg (32 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
justlabeefit.jpg
32 KB, 1280x720
>>36202307
just shia it
>>
>>36202739
THIS
>>
Don't do regular SS. Do the sticky SS:

A:
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift
Weighted Dips

B:
Squat
Overhead Press
Pendlay Rows
Weighted Chins

> add ab work as needed (hanging leg raise, ab rollout, plank...)
> reduce squat frequency if your squat is significantly better than your other lifts. don't go t-rex.
> add farmer walks if your grip strength is preventing you from increasing your deadlift even with mixed grip

I did this with good form and looked better than many SS pictures in current body threads.
>>
>>36204815
why no powercleans? Also I've never understood why people do rows instead - don't rows work an entirely different muscle group than cleans?
>>
>>36204996
Both cleans and rows are used for the purpose of building a joocy upper back here.
>>
>>36204996
they're tricky to do right when you have no experience lifting
>>
>>36203201
It's a single speed that I use to get to class and back. Bunch of starting and stopping. But yeah, I'mma start adding formalized cardio
>>
>>36202591
If you're still new to lifting you should be doing a full body routine to advantage of your beginner gains. Try either TM/SS/SL. Isolating each muscle is awful for amateurs.
>>
>>36202399
Reg Park's beginner routine.
>>
>>36205929
>TM
>beginner
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.