[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does anyone here have any experience with meditation? how has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: meditation_sun.jpg (129 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
meditation_sun.jpg
129 KB, 500x373
does anyone here have any experience with meditation?

how has it affected your health and fitness?

how does one get into meditating?
>>
File: 104949.jpg (26 KB, 351x500) Image search: [Google]
104949.jpg
26 KB, 351x500
Step by step, outlined here. Real meditation, not that "find your happy place" garbage.

Good luck.
>>
See if there's any zen temples in your area. Visit a temple and speak to a Roshi.
>>
I did it for a few years and then I realized how ridiculous it is and so I stopped and I've been better off since
>>
I've been meditating 20 minutes every night before sleeping for 2 months now. I've tried guided meditation, find your happy place meditation and just pure concentration on my breath meditation.

Concentrating on my breathing for 20 minutes chills me the fuck out. I can say for sure that meditating before sleep, not staring at any screens after meditating and popping 3mg of Melatonin has improved my quality of sleep immensely.

I haven't noticed anything else though. Not sure for how long you're supposed to be meditating before you notice changes in your personality/mood/fitness or whatever but it's worth it for the improvement in sleep quality alone for me.

I'd say try it for a month, doing it daily and write down whatever changes you notice and see if those changes are consistent and have to do with meditation.

Also try out the Buddhify app on your phone. It's a great start for meditating/guided meditation.

/blog
>>
>>36197167
what do you want? calm and happy or insight?

calm and happy can be achieved with any tipe of focused meditation.
some absorption states too (becoming so concentrated that your mind mends woth the object, positive states remain after leaving meditation)

for insight you need different shit. but you should atart with concentration. following your breath trough the body without losing concentration is hard.

start with 5 min and up your 5 min every time / every other time.
most of time spent in early meditation will be realizing you are daydreaming and getting your focus back on breath.

protip: if your head wont shut up. take a big breath and hold it until brain shuts up and starts paying attention to the fact that he might die. do it three times or so and he will come back to present state. (dont use every time)
>>
>>36199310
wow I am so literate.
>>
>>36197167
I've been practicing meditation everyday for 2+years now. I'm calmer, more patient, and have much better concentration skills than when I started. I also have started engaging in homosexual activities. I'm not sure if this was a deep underlying desire beforehand. It has been suggested me that meditation opens oneself up to possible demonic possession.
>>
>>36199333
0/10 neopagan bait
>>
>>36199317
It's like you had a stroke while typing.
>>
File: slayer.jpg (154 KB, 684x574) Image search: [Google]
slayer.jpg
154 KB, 684x574
Been meditating on and off for a few years and can honestly say that the periods that I do meditate (morning and evenings + during the day sometimes) am I much more clear headed and energetic.
What helps me to do before meditating is to do some light stretching (I'm guessing yoga would be optimal but I don't have much real experience in that).

Due to my on-and-off meditation periods haven't I advanced so much, which is a pity, but right now I'm in a meditation period again and am happy to notice that I'm making those sweet calm mental gains again.
>>
File: 71jktntxoxl-_sl1500_.jpg (191 KB, 979x1500) Image search: [Google]
71jktntxoxl-_sl1500_.jpg
191 KB, 979x1500
>>36197215
trash tier. read pic related for a good overview of benefits of meditation without the religious woo
>>
>>36199714

what the buddha taught - rahula

if you actually do progress to some scary shit (and you will if you can sustain unbreakable focus to your breath for more than 15 minutes, it is good to have a book that covers that.

if you want something modern and not "religious" download mastering the core teachings of buddhism.

desu, if I found myself without proper literatures first time i entered absorption state I would get stuck.

the stroke typing guy
>>
does meditation help with anxiety?

shit is ruining my life
>>
>>36197167
I did it for one year, every day, 30-40 minute sessions every morning.
Didn't have any physical benefits other than not having a short temper and being a less stressed out.
But I did have crazy amounts of lucid dreaming. Its pretty wild. At first you just fuck in your dreams but then you start trying to improve on some skills while dreaming.
I did have one very strange experience while meditating but I can't be sure if what happened was real or if it was just my mind playing tricks on me.
>>
>>36199953

Go on...
>>
>>36199864
Yes. But you really gotta commit to the process and not expect much for a while (sort of like lifting, best gains take a while).
>>
>>36199976
You want me to explain the experience I had during one of my sessions or do you want me to keep going with changes that I noticed?
>>
>>36200015

The experience thing
>>
>>36199999
WITNESSED
>>
instructive video on how to meditate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wirV265ZYSw
>>
>>36199999
nice quints
>>
>>36200030
35 minutes of nonsensical rambling which goes against the idea of meditation. what's with the thumbnail pic? is he mocking the idea of meditation?
>>
>>36200019
During one of my sessions, about 30 minutes in, I felt a really strange vibration start from my stomach and radiated in all directions. I can't fully describe this feeling but when this happened, i saw something. The vibration occurred twice and each time it happened a dot expanded into a circle until it was out of my vision, just like how when you drop a pebble into a body of water and it causes a circular ripple to extend all the way out. On the second expansion of this dot, it formed a circle and stayed that way. At this point, I started thinking to myself if what was happening was actually happening or if its just my thoughts fooling me. And then it stopped.
Its not really significant but it was the first and last time this ever happened.
>>
>>36200050
Maybe sleep paralysis?
>>
>>36200050
not bad, but the focus should remain in breath or stomach during those experiences so you cultivate them instead of spending it.
>>
>>36200015
both

holy fuck why didn't you just explain it all in the first post you dumb fucking attention whore
>>
>>36199976

at one if my sitting sessions a thought came to mind from a book, "if you are aware of it, it cannot be part of you" so i started focusing on every sensation that comes to mind and realized that they arent part of whatever is aware.
then i realized that not even those thoughts about those realizations, and realizations themselves arent part of that. then sensations of immense joy came, better than fucking/mdma/acid/shrooms/runners high, and it stayed for like 15 seconds. i started to laugh and felt ashamed, and started accepting those thoughts as part of my being. whole thing stopped but the ease of burden remained and left a strong impression on me.

in conclusion the mind as a muscle is a terrible master but an awesome slave. training it (conditioning it) like a muscle, not to wonder but to remain in present moment (shit term), you can gain crazy benefits.

not to mention that this is all well applied to workouts, because the concentration you train helps you maintain better focus while working out. actually learning to feel muscles improves posture and certainly makes same weight, bit heavier.
>>
>>36197215
I own this book. Good book for understanding people and not being so judgemental. Helped me to understand why I'm such a fuck up so that I could fix those problems; and that I am only a sum of my experiences through life.
>>
>>36200050
Sounds like you had a case of being Donnie Darko
>>
Meditation is powerful if you want it is and how to do it.
It takes practice and effort just like lifting, is not just about assuming lottus position and closing your eyes.

I started meditating about two years ago and even tho it seemed like it was just another meme at the beginning it has helped a lot mantaining my mental and physical health.

I went from 227lbs to 125 in 5 months, when you mediate it's easier to resist food cravings or sexual urges or any other obstacles that may be in your way at the time.

Don't stick to one way of meditation, read all you can about it, Buddhist meditation, Taoism, Zen, etc.

Also a visit to /x/ may help, yeah it's full of memes and cancer just like /fit/ but from time you can stumble upon some helpful insight.
But way better if you can visit /fringe/ too at 4x2chan.
>>
>>36200076
Perhaps but I could move at any moment.
>>36200082
I wasnt sure what to do and what to make of it. My natural instinct was to think about whats happening and to try to decipher if its real.
>>36200085
Didn't think anyone would be interested in my experience but I listed all the benefits I got. Not much benefits really.....
>>36200217
Never saw that movie.
>>
>>36197167
>>36197167
Been waiting for a thread like this. Is it always that you focus on your breathing? Or sometimes you focus on other zhings as well? How does it work when youve been doing it for a few years+?
>>
>>36200286

That sounds a lot like a psychedelic experience. So maybe people are indeed right, when claiming that you can experience anything drug-induced on your own as well...
>>
>>36200293
you can focus on anything that is everpresent. there are around 32 objects on witch you can focus ranging from sensations to colours
>>
>>36200286
tends to happen more than often.
if treated like another mind distraction from focusing - awesome things happen
>>
>>36199310
i wouldn't recommend set times, you might end up stressing yourself out. once you get into you'll know when to stop.
>>
>>36200324
Well, it only happened once for me. I tried to experience it again but it never happened.
I focus on breath when meditating just to let everyone know what I did.
>>
>>36200037
anyone's thoughts on this? pretty ok imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aahfynCnWaI

>>36200050
some people get visions once they get alright at meditation, don't think much of them, you'll sortof grow out of them. getting attached to them will slow you down
>>
>>36200386
Im not sure what it means to be good at meditation but I definitely dont think much about my experience since I don't know what to make of it. The only thing i was thinking of is when will it happen again.
>>
>>36200395
by good i meant good at keeping your mind focused.

what i've been taught is that once you can stay focused on your breathing long enough you'll have brief moments where you feel really weird.

i can't quite remember which of these comes first but something like feeling you don't exist, or feeling completely satisfied/happy. as you keep practicing these states stay for longer.

anyway take my information with a grain of salt, some of it is hard to translate and i haven't gotten anywhere myself.

chances are it's nothing to be worried about, you shouldn't get distracted by thinking about it, if it happens it happens, if it doesn't thats fine too.
>>
>>36200336
yeah i do not really set times for myselfz but this is fit, people are used to measurements :)
>>
File: 1439022264760.jpg (150 KB, 1080x675) Image search: [Google]
1439022264760.jpg
150 KB, 1080x675
>>36197167
I do a type of qigong, but before and after I do normal meditation.

Basically just pay really close attention to your breath. Feel and listen to your inhale and your exhale. You can either inhale and exhale through nose or you can inhale through nose and exhale through mouth. Make your inhale and exhale loud when you first start out.

Sit or lay down in such a way that you are comfortable and you won't fall asleep (unless that is your goal). Don't listen to music while doing this (at least at first), you can have your eyes open or closed. I prefer to have my eyes open and I just kinda stare into space, sometimes I will just stare at a point on the floor or wall.

Start inhaling through your nose, feel the air coming up into your nose and down your wind pipe, feel your belly and chest expand as more air enters your lungs. Notice the temperature of the air, it's viscosity, notice the sound the air makes as it moves inside. Once you're full of air, let go and let the air escape. Notice the feeling of the air as it flow out your nose or mouth, feel the temperature, and the thickness of the air, the sound the air makes as it leaves your mouth or nose. Notice how you feel in general and begin again with another deep inhale in.

Meditation really can help you relax, mentally and physically. Meditation can also help you to be emotionally neutral and calm down if mad. This type of meditation can also quiet/slow down the thoughts in your mind.

I know it sounds fedora, but I like to meditate like this in between sets when I am resting.
>>
File: 1449589058827.jpg (40 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1449589058827.jpg
40 KB, 479x720
>>36197263
>>
>>36197167
Wim Hof
>>
>>36197167
Meditate all the time. Not in some formal bullshit way, just sitting down thinking about stuff.
>>
My anxiety disappeared within two weeks of daily meditation (10 minutes)
>>
File: startingsit.jpg (2 MB, 518x3648) Image search: [Google]
startingsit.jpg
2 MB, 518x3648
Gotchu homie
>>
>>36197167
meditate every day for 20-40 min. On and off for 2 years.
AMA
>>
>>36200293
You focuz on ze most important zings like how to create a Third Reich or how to transport ze most amount of filthy Jews in one day.
>>
>>36203501
Oh fuck you. It was a typo
>>
Done it for a number of years, recently I feel out of practice. When I have time I try to do zazen for 30-50 minutes, but it can be hard physically. It's a hard activity to master and can take decades. With dedication you can meditate well after some months if you sit daily.

It's good to reduce stress, and helps you be more aware of the world around you, as well as the thoughts that stubmle through your head. A useful technique for living better.

Theoretically you can meditate while doing other activities and achieve a flow state. When I ski really serious slopes that are dangerous I go into flow, or a good tennis match, or some serious running. Archery is supposedly a great way to practice.

Just sit, and know your breath.
>>
>>36199864

this, lad.
>>
>>36206339
Yes. It's the best for me since weed just amplifies anxiety for me
>>
>>36206482

Same here. I dated a qt stoner for a few months and it shot right up. Same with caffeine.
>>
>actually wasting time on new age retardation
Stop being so embarassing
>>
>>36201252
Can you state any benefits?
>>
>>36199714

>more like guide to reinventing the wheel
>>
>>36199191
Thanks anon l'll try
>>
File: 1425233782757.gif (2 MB, 272x355) Image search: [Google]
1425233782757.gif
2 MB, 272x355
https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/mindfulness-meditation-9
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.