[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
getting back into the SL 5x5 after a huge dumb haitaus. one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: bar.jpg (22 KB, 522x309) Image search: [Google]
bar.jpg
22 KB, 522x309
getting back into the SL 5x5 after a huge dumb haitaus.

one thing I always hated was rows. I even skipped them and desu I think it's what got me too demotivated for the gym at first anyway.

My form is fuked up, I lose ballance and fall over, my left arm can't lift it as high ( which is probably a good indication ) but is there *ANYTHING* I can change it to? like lat pull downs or dips or something?
>>
>>36185917
try pendlay rows
>>
>>36185917
I don't like them either, mainly because of the awkward position of your back. What I do instead are weighted suspension rows. Now, I know /fit/ is allergic to suspension trainers/TRX (or rather, allergic to everything but weightlifting), but it's actually a good exercise and in my opinion way superior to barbell rows. Basically, suspension rows are to barbell rows what push-ups are to bench press. Only it's easier to add weight to a suspension row than to push-ups.
>>
>>36185917
>SL says rows are safer than power cleans

Literal retards. Learn2lift
>>
>>36185917
when mehdi talks about barbell rows, he actually means pendlay rows, because the bar rests on the floor before every rep.
so you can see in his tutorial videos.
the pendlay rows are very superior to "normal" rows, they work your biceps/lats more and your back less.
>>
>>36185917
Fuck SL do this
>A
Squats
OHP
Light DL
Chinups
>B
Squats
Bench
DL

1) there is no muscle that rows train and DLs plus chinups do not
2) If you want extra hypertrophy, add curls and dips at the end of bench day and lat raises at the end of OHP day.
3) only do hypertrophy work if bulking, never if cutting
>>
>>36185925
that's whats in the SL.

I'm starting to realise that maybe I should just stick with it and add the dips as accessories on the days im not pendlay?

I just watched a video on proper form and it makes me want to try it again, but it's always my worst lift with absolutely no progress on.
>>
i didn't like them to begin with, but i stuck with them and now i'm pulling like 90kg on them (pendlay).

I'd say the only thing i really hate is when you're struggling and you naturally sort of have urge to make your chest touch against the bar (instead of pulling it all the way up) on the last 1 or 2 reps
>>
>>36185987
>there is no muscle that rows train and DLs plus chinups do not
Rear delts.
>>
>>36185917
Row while laying on an incline bench like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-lU1J6zy9w
>>
>>36186010
1) wrong
2) if you row in a way that targets your rear delts (to the chest instead of to the abs), you won't train your lats as much
3) facepulls and/or rear delt flyes train your rear delts more efficiently
4) chinups and DLs do train the rear delts sufficiently
>>
>>36185987
>only do hypertrophy work if bulking, never if cutting
This is bullshit, if you want to build muscle you need high volume.

Everything else is correct, but the "routine" you posted is dog shit.
>>
>>36186156
>if you row in a way that targets your rear delts (to the chest instead of to the abs), you won't train your lats as much
That's why you do chin-ups/pull-ups.

>chinups and DLs do train the rear delts sufficiently
Confirmed DYEL
>>
you are lifting to heavy
>>
>>36186179
tfw doing rows with 35kg is heavy
>>
go lighter with proper form and don't be an egolifter.
>>
>>36186168
>This is bullshit, if you want to build muscle you need high volume.
If you want to build muscle you need food. High volume training with insufficient calories will only help in burning you out faster and underrecovering.
>>36186174
Mehdi has pendlay rows in the program. These are the "lat" rows. You are arguing about "rear delt" rows. It's not that your argument is wrong, you just have no argument.
>>
>>36185917

1 pick a real routine
2 do cable rows or preferably t bar rows
>>
>>36185987
bullshit

the first time i tried stronglifts i did pullups instead of rows

now i do rows only and my back looks a hell of a lot more developed
>>
>>36186379
1) not my fault you did half reps
2) I did not say pull ups
3)
>implying rows built your back more than DLs
4) I did not say rows are bad for the back, they are simply inferior to chinups plus DLs
>>
>>36186379
Hot opinion BTW. Post stats and body.
>>
File: tfw pendlay.png (12 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tfw pendlay.png
12 KB, 800x600
you only get better by trying

pendlay row is superior

youre losing balance because the bar is too far away from you

maybe you need more mental cues to better your form

stand with the barbel like when deadlifting mid foot, maybe a little wider stance

sit back and get your back into that horizontal line, then get your ass up, flexing hamstrings. Sitting back and up will help you get the bar past your knees and prevent moment arm

right before you lift take that deep breath, brace stomach and flex all your muscles, especially your lower back and lats

think of trying to pull yourself into the ground instead of lifting the bar, see pic

put the bar down and use a few seconds to reset your stance, when newb using a mirror to see the form of your back is very useful, but dont use it when doing the lift, it hurts your back

think about this when doing the lift, get the bar close to you to prevent moment arm, big breath and brace, very important to flex back before lift, keep ass back and up flexing hamstring, pulll yourself into the ground

sry for the long post, already spend 500 hours in paint cba boil it down
>>
Same, fuck rows. I do chinups instead now.
>>
>>36186803
this is good advice
>>
My main problem with getting the right form with rows in SL5x5 is that the weight isn't high enough for floor pulls yet. Medhi's recommendation is setting them atop weight plates, but mine don't seem level enough for that. I'm tempted to pick up some lightweight bumper plates to help with that.
>>
>>36185917
doing rows should help you
>>
>>36186803
thinking of the opposite movement has helped me with all of my lifts. for example, when squatting, dont think of it as raising the bar up. Think of it as using your back to push away from the bar to drive your legs through the ground. When benching, think of it as pushing your body away from the bar and through the bench. Idk why, but this mental picture helped my form and my lifts have started going up again.
>>
>>36187405
thats not a bad idea, either that or find somethign to place your current weights on. like another plate or somethign to raise it slightly
>>
>>36185978
I wish I could do pendlay rows, but my calves, hamstring and lumbars are so fucking tight, I tremble when I try and get my torso more level
>>
Guys I was thinking of starting going to the gym 4 a week days instead of 3.
Should I just do ABAB or can I do some other exercise to fill the gaps (I cant only squat with the smith machine and can only do seated OHP (my gym is afraid of accidents and its small).....so I guess these things can cause deficiencies that I can correct or that I'd like to get good at)?
For example, I'd really love to be able to do pullups, but as of right now I can only do it on the machine that subtracts some of your weight, -15kg. Also maybe focus on abs or just do stretching, I'm a very non-flexible individual
>>
>>36185917
Why not do dumbbell rows?
>>
>>36186003
dips and pendelays work opposite muscles.

chinups i think is your best bet for a pendelay row substitute.
>>
Pendelay Rows are one of my favorite exercises. The only trouble I have there at the moment is trying to get my Brotege to use good form. He likes trying to sit into it too much almost treating it like a DL
>>
Is this seriously what people do when they can't do a work out properly? They just stop doing it instead of learning to do it correctly? If your form is fucked then lower the weight and learn proper form, how fucking hard of a solution is that. There's plenty of resources online to help you with this. You're losing balance, and I prefer to do them barefoot or with flat shoes, just in case you're using high heeled shoes that make you lean over a bit. If your left arm can't go as high don't fucking give up, fix the problem and become a stronger version of yourself. You probably have a mobility issue, a muscle imbalance between each side, or maybe you just need to develop a better mind muscle connection and consciously train your nervous system to activate the muscle properly, or any combination of those things. I have 4 stab wounds through my sides into my lung on one side, and I couldn't pendlay row/bent over row evenly with the same weight when I got back, so I lowered the weight, built up the nervous strength and muscle fibres, did unilateral work to fix imbalances, stretching/mobility work/releasing knotted up fascia, and boom, problem fucking solved without being a lazy fatass, despite my injuries. If you're coming to a gym to improve yourself, and you see an obstacle, you improve yourself and get past it. I can't even imagine how many lazy people have started threads on a board about FITNESS, complaining that a widely used workout is hurting them, or impossible with their shit mobility, and then they have the nerve to do literally nothing about it and ask people why they aren't improving. Unless something worse than a collapsed lung and multiple deep wounds happened to you, you have no excuse, other than laziness. I'm not saying you have to do rows to be fit or strong or whatever (but they are a very valuable tool), but they have revealed a glaring issue with your body so I hope you decide to take the time to improve it, and maybe even give rows another try.
>>
>>36188975
tldr

try memeform next time newfriend
>>
>>36189092
ok i prefer to get really in depth, butt fuck it
>don't be a fatass whenever you can't do a workout properly
>find the obstacle and tackle it to become a stronger version of yourself (unless you work out casually to feel good about yourself)
>fix your mobility problems, take a step back with lighter weight and learn proper form/develop even neuromuscular efficiency, and do unilateral work. Lots of resources online to help with this
Problem solved, without being a lazy fuck. If you can't do it properly, then learn to do it properly. I could do it injured so it should be a lot simpler for everyone else.
>>
>>36189274
>stronger version of yourself
elliot, dont you have some bioenergetic shouting session to do with your chink slave? get off the internet
>>
>>36189308
lel im not elliot. i just like that phrase cuz i find keeping it in the back of my head helps me make the most out of bad situations in life. nothing wrong with that. why complain or give up when you can change yourself so that the problem goes away?
>>
>>36186803
In this pic your back is almost at a 45 degree angle.

Aren't you supposed to be parallel with the ground?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.